Author Topic: How I Built This podcast from NPR  (Read 2640 times)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
How I Built This podcast from NPR
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:57 AM »
Hi, I took a quick search on the forums to see if this was recommended.

This is an interview podcast, with people who have built their own companies from scratch.  The companies covered include Clif Bar, Patagonia, Instagram, Dell computer, Home Depot, and Tom's shoes.

I listen because it's interesting, I have a W2, 1099, and K-1 from a business, and I like to hear stories of gumption, confidence, and overcoming overwhelming odds.

It broke the threshold of me keeping it to myself and logging into the forums to post about it because in the most recent podcast about Dell Computers, Michael Dell mentions that he started the company AS A SIDE HUSTLE.  He says "SIDE HUSTLE" specifically.

If you follow the news (which I still sometimes do, even though technically I'm on a low information diet), you'll see that Dell computers just completed a $60,000,000,000 (billion) merger with VMware.

That's one hell of a side hustle.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:53:25 AM by Icecreamarsenal »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How I Built This podcast from NPR
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »
Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
If you follow the news (which I still sometimes do, even though technically I'm on a low information diet), you'll see that Dell computers just completed a $60,000,000,000 (billion) merger with VMware.

That's one hell of a side hustle.
No reflection on the podcast, which sounds interesting, but Dell bought/merged with EMC a couple years ago.  EMC was a publicly held company and VMWare was a subsidiary of EMC.  Now Dell considering going public again, by doing a reverse merger with VMWare...  Strange, huh. 

DH spent 30+ years at EMC and it's predecessor, Data General, and many of our friends still work there.

August26th

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:41:32 PM »
I’ve got nothing to comment on regarding the side hustle piece, but wanted to affirm you in that I love the How I Built This podcast. So fascinating! Highly recommended podcast overall.