Author Topic: Help me find the best down comforter  (Read 1653 times)

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help me find the best down comforter
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
I realize it is strange doing this in July, but oh well.

I have a queens sized bed and would like something warm for our New England winters. Ideally, it would be an item that I buy once. TIA

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help me find the best down comforter
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »
I've usually bought mine from LL Bean over the years. Have never been sorry. (Gave the kids the ones they had on their beds when they left home, so when I bought new beds sometimes over the years--like for guest bedrooms or a sleeper sofa--had to buy new comforters.) They do last forever. I always put flannel duvet covers on mine.

You can do some due diligence on line. Read about fill weights and how they are constructed, and whether you need lighter weight or heavier weight comforters. They aren't all the same.

NowClear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
Do you sleep hot or cold?

I have a comforter that I love and have had for eight years so far. Fair warning, it's pretty spendy, and not sure I would buy it now that I've discovered mustachianism even though I fully anticipate keeping this for at least a few decades more. It's the bavarian down comforter in medium weight at Feathered Friends. Don't let the "medium" fool you, this thing keeps me SO WARM in winter, even with windows open.

My boyfriend, however, sleeps too warm for this. I have a lightweight down comforter from Snowe that I use in the summer and he uses that year-round when he stays over with me. Both seem relatively well-made, but I've only had the Snowe for two years. The Feathered Friends one has stayed very lofty and is a like-new hotel level of loft even today.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:43:08 AM »
Not down but wool and I have no idea if they're actually any good but I saw these on Monty Don's My Dream Farm series a few years ago and have sort of kept the information in the back of my head for if/when I need a new duvet and if/when I were to have enough money to buy something a bit more expensive. They do ship worldwide although the cost of shipping might make it unreasonable to purchase from outside of Europe.

Devon Duvets