Author Topic: Free US tax filing for income under $57,000 income  (Read 9150 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Free US tax filing for income under $57,000 income
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:42:55 AM »
For the past couple years I've gone to http://www.thebeehive.org/money/pay-taxes/file-your-taxes-free-online which gives you free online tax filing through H&R block, inc efile for fed and state, if your earned income is less than $57,000.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Free US tax filing for income under $57,000 income
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, got a few people to pass this along to!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File%3A-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

Lots of companies offer this. So if you don't like H&R there are plenty of other options.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
The IRS sponsors several programs for low income and elderly people to help file their taxes

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers

VITA (51K or less)
TCE (60 years or older)

Ironically I'm going to volunteer with them even though I qualify for assistance.  This would be useful for those who want in person help.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File%3A-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

Lots of companies offer this. So if you don't like H&R there are plenty of other options.

Lots of them, like that one, only offer free federal filing and you still have to file for state.  That's why I was passing the Beehive one along, because it covers free state too.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
Lots of them, like that one, only offer free federal filing and you still have to file for state.  That's why I was passing the Beehive one along, because it covers free state too.

In years past I seem to remember NY offering free file for state as well, but with a much lower AGI than the federal. Regardless thanks for the tip. Mine was just to offer alternatives if someone was interested. Myself I have not been thrilled with H&R when I used them in the past. Just my preference. I know plenty of people who have used them and been very happy.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
TaxACT Online offers free federal filing for people of any income.  They charge for filing state income taxes, which we don't do in Washington because we have no state income tax.

Vanguard also offers Turbotax discounts for all members, and free filing for Flagship members ($1mil and up).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:30:21 PM by sol »

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
I am still working on getting to the 1mil mark so I qualify for vanguard . In the meantime I signed up for a state farm bank account. Its only a $25 min and they offer free turbo tax.

Also I know at least KS and CO have free filing through the state site. No income limits. I am guessing some other states have this too.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »
Also I know at least KS and CO have free filing through the state site. No income limits. I am guessing some other states have this too.

I know mine does.  I just googled "Free File [your state]" and it gave me a page with eight options, with varying income limits.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Looks like NY offered it last year for incomes under $57k but they have yet to post this year. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled once Jan ends and see what all my options are.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Looks like NY offered it last year for incomes under $57k but they have yet to post this year. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled once Jan ends and see what all my options are.

Nice.  Unfortunately with all of these 57k ones I used to qualify but then I went and got married last year and they don't take # of people in the household into account...  And we became state farm customers for home insurance but then they stopped offering it free for insurance clients.  Still working on that 1m at Vanguard too...  Looks like I will go for the state farm checking account at this point.

Oh, I should have mentioned, the h&r block one is basically turbo tax, you just do it on h&r's site, but I think that means you can transfer your information from past years from both turbo tax straight or h&r block.

Actually, hold up.  Rugorak, did you see here?  http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/elf_individual.htm  It looks like efile is free no matter what assuming you're using a standard software.  In other words you could use any of the softwares that give you free federal file and then they are prohibited from charging you for filing your New York state return.  I guess because efiling is mandatory now for New York state.

Maybe I am really tired but I am confused as all hell when I look at turbo tax's site: http://turbotax.intuit.com/  The info when you click "state additional" and "free efile included" seems contradictory.  The former suggests you have to pay for state software.  The latter suggests that it is free and that state efile is free when you use it online but $19 if you use a download/disc version (though here it mentions that efile fees do not apply to New York).  Maybe the free-ness is just a limited time thing if you do it before Jan 30th.  Anyway, time for bed.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
My interpretation is they can charge for their services/software but not for the actual efile piece based on this: "If you've purchased commercial tax software..."

For those in NY state http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/freefile_eligibility1.htm

Hopefully by 30 Jan they will post the rules/vendors offering free-free taxes.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
Right, what I mean I'm confused about in the turbo tax stuff is whether the state fee is for the software or for the efiling.  But either way it seems like if you do it all online it doesn't charge you for fed or state or efile of either, which wasn't what I was expecting.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
I wish there was an e-file option that didn't rely on third-party software. Something like "fill out the PDFs and email the damn things in."