Author Topic: Free (ish) Hammock  (Read 3076 times)

50ShadesOfStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Free (ish) Hammock
« on: February 12, 2019, 04:54:24 PM »
Just saw this deal. I don't know how long it will last, but all you pay is shipping. It doesn't come with straps or the carabiners, but you can make due with some rope. I got just the hammock for 5 bucks in shipping. My mom picked one up with the straps and carabiners for $10. Figured I should share. I've had similar hammocks before. They are well worth the money if your out hiking or at the beach, and I hate spending money on anything.

https://lomaoutdoor.com/products/double-person-parachute-hammock?variant=13228024528949

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Free (ish) Hammock
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
Almost seems too good to be true...

Did anyone use this site before (logmaoutdoor.com)?

50ShadesOfStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 05:15:16 PM »
Just for the record, I haven't used the site before. I saw the deal being promoted on a Facebook ad. I did get a order confirmation email though immediately after ordering. I'll let you guys know as soon as it says it's shipped and when/if i get it if your worried about it being a scam.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
yea like to know if not a scam. My two college kids would love em.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »
Extra details: You get free shipping if you spend $10. If you buy the straps and carabiner hook it will cost $10.94 so you get free shipping.

EDIT:  I spent a little more time on the site. While the hammock doesn't have any reviews the hiking pack has 200 reviews and a 4.9 rating. However, reading those reviews doesn't inspire confidence.

1. Everyone posts a picture of the pack in their review. Literally 100% of the reviewers post pictures. This seems odd.
2. I found two reviews that say the exact same thing, post the exact same picture, but appear to be from different people.
3. Many of the posts have weird choppy grammar, and it appears English is not the first language for many of the  reviewers. Here are a few of the reviews just on the first page of reviews.
"Beautiful bag, get very fast, good finishes"
"To your price. This well. Does not look very Tough. Pero meets with the job. Nice color. Wide. Overall Well"
"Shipping 2 weeks. The quality is excellent. Summer in check. Fits perfectly."
"Good quality backpack, nehuzhe than Master The Sport. Quality seams, locks, straps is excellent. Went about a month. Backpack happy."

It's making me think of that episode of Silicon Valley where they hire a Korean company to 'pretend' to be thousands of users to bump their user numbers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:48:06 PM by Indexer »

50ShadesOfStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
Lol so in other words, there's a not unreasonable chance I threw away $5 into a scam site. I am still waiting for my shipping notification, I haven't completely given up hope.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
Posting to hear the conclusion. I've seen this ad before, and a coworker recently bought a 'tactical bag' for $5 shipping from a different site. He got the bag. It's worth $5 at least, so he's happy.

I do wonder what the deal is... Is this a company that looks for warehouses of unsold goods, buys them cheaply in bulk (or gets them for free to free up warehouse space), then sells/ships them for dirt cheap, making money on the volume?

Curmudgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »
https://www.scamadviser.com/is-lomaoutdoor.com-a-fake-site.html

Apparently it's a brand new website; no reputation (good or bad).  Let us know how it goes!

50ShadesOfStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:58 PM »
So far still no shipping notification. I did a little bit more poking around and the particular hammocks are for sale in bulk on Ailibaba in bulk, so thats how there doing it cheaply.  Fingers crossed it goes through. I'm going to feel pretty stupid if it doesn't.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
@50ShadesOfStache:  I'm right there with you. I spent $10 on straps and hooks to get the free shipping before I noticed the shady reviews. If I'm out $10 it's not that bad. If it is a scam site I imagine they make the real money by luring people with the free hammock and getting them to buy the bags, tents, etc. Hopefully they are buying unsold goods in bulk and making their money on the volume.

I've been watching my credit card transactions. So far nothing odd and it's a card that is about to expire and be replaced anyway so luckily I don't have to watch it long.

50ShadesOfStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
Ya, I haven't got a shipping notification, and I'm quickly loosing hope...

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
Ya, I haven't got a shipping notification, and I'm quickly loosing hope...

Yeah, I was not able to get to the site now....

Looks like a grab and run.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »
I'm shocked that a Facebook ad would turn out to be a scam. Whoda thunk?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 02:59:42 AM »
That sucks! I'd figure out away if possible to report it somewhere

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 10:45:10 PM »
Look at AliExpress...  Hammocks are pretty cheap to make, so I am not surprised.  I think you may find a price you like there.