Author Topic: Extra car for one month - ideas?  (Read 1969 times)

davidw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Extra car for one month - ideas?
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »
Hi,

Have in-laws visiting from Europe for about a month.  We live in Bend, Oregon and have one car for our family of 4. 

The problem: 6 people don't fit in the car, and there are a number of things we'd like to do with our guests while they're here, many of which involve, potentially, a bit of driving on snowy roads.

Some ideas:

* Rent a car when we need it. Cheap, and we've done that before in the summer, but rental cars apparently don't come with snow tires or chains and so present kind of a problem.
* I looked at Turo.com and it seems like it might work - not many options in our area though so maybe kind of risky that we wouldn't find anything available.
* Buy a second cheap car, and try and sell it when they're gone.  Kind of a hassle in terms of the "transaction costs" of buying and selling, and there's a risk we'll get lazy and keep it.
* Trade our current car for something like a Toyota Highlander that fits 6+ people.  Then we're stuck with a big 'clown car' we don't really need, unless we turn around and sell it again, but... that's a hassle.
* Stay in the house all the time with the in-laws.  That has some health risks for all of us - mental and otherwise!

Out of the box ideas?

August26th

• Stubble
Re: Extra car for one month - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »
- Uber/Lyft as needed, even if it’s just a portion of your party
- Offer to pay friends some $$ or something else in kind to borrow their car occasionally
- Place a Cragislist or Facebook Marketplace ad, describing your need (would need to sort out insurance coverage)
- Divide the activities so that you’re not all 6 going to the same place at the same time

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:05:20 PM »
How much winter driving do you expect to do? Could you just reschedule your plans in the case of inclement weather?

I grew up in the northeast and never had snow tires or chains, just normal all season tires with varying levels of tread. Of course, I ended up in a few snow banks, so there's that :-)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 07:42:41 PM »
For local things; take the in-laws to the location and then go back home to get the family (or some other division of passengers).

Get a baby sitter for the kids so the adults can go for a drive.

As for getting another car - it really depends on how much you will use it, which you haven't provided.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:24:53 PM »
Any chance you have good friends going out of town for some portion of the month? I’ve offered my car to my good friends (a single-car couple who live in my neighborhood) when they had family visiting and I happened to be going on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 03:54:26 AM »
Definitely rent. The car should have all season tires which are fine for most roads.

davidw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »
All season tires are not at all ok since much of what's fun around here in the winter is in areas where chains are required if you don't have snow tires or studded tires.  Also, we need to drive over the pass to the valley, so that's another big problem for a rental car.

We're going to try one of the peer-to-peer car rental things, since the car we found is equipped with snow tires.  Seems like the best option at this point.

davidw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
Didn't see any used cars that were at all attractive, so we decided to give Turo.com a try.  Worked out pretty well for the first event we needed it for.  Worth a shot for people in similar circumstances. The car had winter tires and everything.

kidmont

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
Didn't see any used cars that were at all attractive, so we decided to give Turo.com a try.  Worked out pretty well for the first event we needed it for.  Worth a shot for people in similar circumstances. The car had winter tires and everything.
What is the difference between Uber and Turo?

My car blog.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:54:31 AM by kidmont »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
What is the difference between Uber and Turo?
Uber: someone drives you in their car. Turo: someone lends you their car to drive yourself.