Author Topic: Ergonomic Mouse?  (Read 7501 times)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Ergonomic Mouse?
« on: September 22, 2016, 02:23:29 PM »
Lately I've noticed my right index finger getting stiff and sore from excessive mouse use. I am currently using a traditional mouse, but apparently I'm at the computer enough to require something more ergonomic. Any suggestions?

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Ergonomic Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:28:32 PM »
my sister swears by these ones w/ the trackballs

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
I switched to a trackball for a while until I got tendonitis in my thumb. There is no solution to working on a computer 8+ hours a day unfortunately.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:22:18 AM »
I use my middle finger to scroll and index finger to click which helped.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:17 AM »
when I was riding a cube every day, I had tons of problems with my mouse hand.  I would switch out to various track balls and different shaped mice every month or so.  Had 4 in the drawer to rotate through.

I prefer the track balls, but some people just hate them.  I would go to Best Buy or other such place and feel a few of them.  You can also try using hotkeys more and mouse less.   

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 07:08:05 AM »
I swear by these - http://ergo.contourdesign.com/US/product/contour-mouse/

I had one at a previous employer and convinced my current employer to buy me one. I NEVER have wrist problems with it after having all sorts of wrist problems with "ergo" mice or normal mice.

I think the key is not having a tiny little thing that your hand gets scrunched up over. Size matters, but smaller is not better at all. It's hard to even find larger mice now, but I find they fit my hand a lot more ergonomically.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »
I would look into two different options.

The mouse I use at work is an "ergonomic" vertical mouse.  It takes a little getting used too.  I like it and I don't have finger issues from too much scrolling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other option I would try is a gaming mouse.  I like these because they are usually oversized, have adjustable sensitivity, and adjustable weighting.  You can really customize the feel and speed of the mouse.  The larger size allows me to rest more of my hand on the mouse, rather than just using my fingers like I tend to do with a normal size mouse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 06:58:40 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't switch to my non-dominant hand at the moment, because I'm nursing a broken left wrist. I can give that a try in about eight weeks :/

Currently my solution is to scroll with the middle finger, as UK suggested. It seems that scrolling is the primary cause of stiffness in my index finger, so that's working for now. I'll probably try one of the uprights or the contour design suggested by ender. Or maybe both. Having a few to switch out seems like a good idea.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:59:36 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't switch to my non-dominant hand at the moment, because I'm nursing a broken left wrist. I can give that a try in about eight weeks :/

Currently my solution is to scroll with the middle finger, as UK suggested. It seems that scrolling is the primary cause of stiffness in my index finger, so that's working for now. I'll probably try one of the uprights or the contour design suggested by ender. Or maybe both. Having a few to switch out seems like a good idea.

what I would recommend is sitting with your hands on your desk naturally and see where they land. For me, the "slightly tilted" angle that the countour mouse has is exactly how my hand sits.

The vertical ergo mouse requires my hand to be placed in a position which is not really a natural position.

Djeayzonne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »
+1 on gaming mice.

Razer Naga is very nice because it had quite a bit of height to accommodate all the buttons.

The buttons can be useful as well if you figure out a use for them.

drio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »
Can you switch your mouse to your non-dominant hand?  It's weird at first, but does not take long to get used to.  Then periodically switch back & forth to spread out the usage over both hands.
This is what I did. Made a world of difference.

alexb2746

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 07:07:28 AM »
I would look into two different options.

The mouse I use at work is an "ergonomic" vertical mouse.  It takes a little getting used too.  I like it and I don't have finger issues from too much scrolling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other option I would try is a gaming mouse.  I like these because they are usually oversized, have adjustable sensitivity, and adjustable weighting.  You can really customize the feel and speed of the mouse.  The larger size allows me to rest more of my hand on the mouse, rather than just using my fingers like I tend to do with a normal size mouse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a different vertical mouse, but I love it now. I have some pains when switching to a regular mouse. Definitely helped me.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 07:09:24 AM »
Also, on this subject, remap your caps lock to control if you ever use the control key with your left hand.

Your wrists will thank me both now and in 10 years.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »
I have a vertical mouse for my right hand (dominant side) and I keep a second regular mouse for my left hand to share the load.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:46 PM »
Years ago I switched to a Kensington Turbomouse trackball at work.  I use it on the left, though I am a righty.  I am lousy at a normal mouse lefty, but I am fully proficient at CAD work on the left with the trackball.  I have had less issues since, and I'd rather have a bad left than my dominant hand anyway.  Also try a keyboard with no numeric keypad so your mouse is less distance away.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:26:19 PM by moof »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »

Use second hand on down arrows to scroll instead.

Switch hands

Very large trackballs are great! Ahhhh! I had this problem when drafting, too.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:09 PM »
I've been using this for over 2 years and haven't had issues since:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093H4WT6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only paid $36 for it so not sure why the price is now $90. Ebay has them for around $40.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
Can you switch your mouse to your non-dominant hand?  It's weird at first, but does not take long to get used to.  Then periodically switch back & forth to spread out the usage over both hands.

Another vote for this one. I typically mouse with the left hand at work and the right hand at home to distribute the impacts.

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »
This is what I did. Made a world of difference.

I did that but then I developed tendinitis on the left side as well...

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »
When I was riding a desk all day, I developed problems where my hand would hurt and sometimes spasm.  I switched to my left hand, and soon developed the same problem there.  Then I remember that way back in the day when mice were expensive (Window 3.1 on 386/486), I would use hot keys.  So I went back to hot keys as much as possible, I also learned not to rest my palm on the desk.  A track ball also helps.  I would keep 2 different ones and switch them out every few weeks just to use different parts of my hand. 

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »
At the office I use a Kensington Turbomouse trackball.  I use it lefty, as my right is the one prone to carpel tunnel related crap.  trackballs are useless for gaming, so at home I have both a trackball and a regular mouse.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »
In addition to the suggestions here, look into some hand PT/grip strengthening exercises. It's possible these could help. Acupuncture also tests well for tendonitis relief (although temporary). Movement breaks throughout your day may help. http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/ss/slideshow-hand-finger-exercises

Lenify

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »
For work I refuse to use anything but a trackball. Cheap, lasts forever, no pain.

There's no other truly ergonomic design for a mouse ad they all require wrist movement. A day of adjusting and you'll love trackballs too.

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »
M570 by Logitech.

I've heard good things about the vertical mice. 
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00427TAIK/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 01:12:36 AM »
For work I refuse to use anything but a trackball. Cheap, lasts forever, no pain.

There's no other truly ergonomic design for a mouse ad they all require wrist movement. A day of adjusting and you'll love trackballs too.

My issue (when I was drawing lots of graphics) was the middle finger scroll and clicking with the tiny movements in my second finger... rather than the wrist.  The track ball (switching between hands) was amazing for providing relief for this pain, and  a rotation between different muscles.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
I ran a trackball as my primary mouse for many years, and it definitely helped stave off some RSI issues.  These days I use a trackpad as my primariy pointing device (the Apple Magic Trackpad in my case) and it does the job for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!