Author Topic: Electric toothbrush - do you notice the difference?  (Read 19171 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
Electric toothbrush - do you notice the difference?
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Now that I'm in my 40's I notice my gums are starting to recede and am wondering if an electric toothbrush is worth it.   

What has been your experience using them?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electric toothbrush - do you notice the difference?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
My dentist made positive comments after I started using the Sonicare electric toothbrush last year.  You can purchase generic refill bristles from Amazon.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
I love the Sonicare.  My teeth feel much cleaners vs. a regular toothbrush. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »
dad is a former dentist

the sonicare is far and away better than the competiton... new dentist that took over his practice could tell thats what i was using... even though she didnt know i had it.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »
Yes. My brushing habits leave something to be desired, but with the Sonicare my teeth feel cleaner and stay that way longer. Dentist & hygienist are happy too.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
YES!

I went to the dentist after a month long trip in South America where I only brought a manual toothbrush. I had a cleaning the day after I got back and my hygienist definitely noted my gums were worse and there was more tartar than normal. I had always used those cheapy Oral B $15 electric toothbrushes which did the job. Black Friday last year a Sonicare went on sale for like $40 for two and I upgraded. The Sonicare is bounds better than the cheapy electric I had. My gums have actually improved since using it and are almost to normal levels which has not happened for the past ten years. I will never switch back.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
at the end of the day we all really really need to floss too.  i'm bad even as the son of a dentist but its more important than brushing.

KayakMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »
yes!!! sonicare is the best.  I think a good bed, nice shower and the sonicare are the few luxuries that are SO worth the extra cost.  You'll probably save on dentist bills, so the sonicare is probably actually a money saver.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
I had a Sonicare.  Replaced it with an Oral B when it quit.  Good reports from dentists with both but I like the Sonicare better & that's what I'll get when the Oral B blows up.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:07 PM »
Wow, didn't know there was such a difference in brands.  Thanks for letting me know.  I was thinking of buying an Oral-B that's on sale at Costco but now I'll hold out for the Sonicare.  Thanks guys!  I hope it goes on sale before the end of the year.

BMEPhDinCO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 01:44:16 PM »
I have a (nicer) Oral-B (electric, has a charging station, smiles at me when done, vibrates for each quadrant) and after DH started using it, his cavities disappeared completely (or rather, no new ones) and my dentist told me I have the whitest natural teeth he's seen!  Easy to use, not too expensive, heads aren't so bad to replace... get one (whatever brand you like/is cheap).

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
at the end of the day we all really really need to floss too.  i'm bad even as the son of a dentist but its more important than brushing.
I've always heard the same thing, but:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/02/488378699/does-flossing-help-or-not-the-evidence-is-mixed-at-best

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »
Another vote for the Sonicare. It gets a little getting used to, but it's much better than manual toothbrush brushing.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »
Honestly I did not notice a big difference with Sonicare. I went back to manual, and once a week or so I brush with baking soda. One cavity in my whole life, no gum problems.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
Yes. I have the Waterpik toothbrush combo, so between the water for "flossing" and the re-chargeable brush, I am a happy camper and would never go back to using a manual brush and the waxed dental floss, except for travel or something like that. I get my teeth so much cleaner, and  am not having any problems with my teeth. (Always had pretty good teeth anyway.)

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
I can definetly feel the difference since I got the Sonicare. My teeth and gums feel so much cleaner and my dentist has noticed the difference.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
Honestly I did not notice a big difference with Sonicare. I went back to manual, and once a week or so I brush with baking soda. One cavity in my whole life, no gum problems.

You're just lucky and I hate you!  :)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »
About a year ago, my dental hygienist asked me to switch to an electric.  Bought the Oral B for my wife and I at Costco and it has been fantastic.  My teeth feel so much cleaner.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
My wife and child use Sonicare, but muscle over motor for me.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »

Oh gosh, I really wasn't trying to brag! I just did not notice any difference in teeth feeling cleaner. In fact I found that my Sonicare got really grotty, really fast.

Anyhow my teeth are not super white and a bit crooked, so hopefully that offers you some comfort. :D

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »

I haven't flossed in 20 years, and when I sit down in the chair, I'm told I have zero plaque.  The sonic waves of the Sonicare kill bacteria that cause plaque.  They also knit the gums tighter to the teeth.  I inherited terrible gums from my mother, who lost all her teeth in her 60's.  Hygienist tells me my gums are tight when she does that test for looseness.

All because of the Sonicare. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
Just a heads up for anyone considering the purchase of a Sonicare toothbrush.  Google "sonicare coupon" before you buy.  I saved $10 on my purchase last year.

a plan comes together

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
I've only used an Oral-B (I like the rotation), not Sonicare, but yes, huge difference in getting rid of plaque. Worth the cost, for sure. And the replacement brush heads last a lot longer than manual because you don't need to execute as much force. So the cost difference is not a reason to avoid, IMO.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
Long time user.  I've burned through 2 Sonicares (one of which I doubled the life by re-soldering in batteries when they died) and am now using an Oral B.

I don't particularly notice the difference in outcome between the two, but I do get better results than just brushing.  Maybe I am a lazy, good for nothing brusher on my own, I don't know.

When I FIRE'd, I moved my dental appointments from 2x a year to 1x a year.  I always ask them "Is this working out okay?  Do I NEED to come more often?"  So far, they always say I am doing just fine.

scruffydan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 06:49:57 PM »
Yes, it's definitely worth it. And if you have serious inflammation, I would highly recommend a Waterpik Water Flosser. The water flosser delivers huge value.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:18 PM »
I have an Oral B that I love, but now I'm curious about the Sonicare. I also HIGHLY recommend a tongue scraper. 100% worth it. I think I picked up a six pack on Amazon for like, $4 and am only on #2 (and the only reason #1 went in the trash was because it feel into the dirty cat litter). I recently traveled for a few nights and packed a regular toothbrush... I missed my electric :(

Question - how often are you supposed to change out the heads of an electric toothbrush?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 06:57:37 PM »
I have had an oral b electric toothbrush for a while, I like if for no reason other than that I am lazy. Generally speaking dentists have been happy with my teeth.
I believe the evidence if fairly clear that electric toothbrushes do a better job of removing plaque: http://www.cochrane.org/CD002281/ORAL_poweredelectric-toothbrushes-compared-to-manual-toothbrushes-for-maintaining-oral-health

(that compares "typical" use, and you can bet typical use with a manual toothbrush is not perfect technique)

At least one study seems to have found a big advantage to the Sonicare: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487838

Who knew

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 04:18:00 AM »
I have an Oral B that I love, but now I'm curious about the Sonicare. I also HIGHLY recommend a tongue scraper. 100% worth it. I think I picked up a six pack on Amazon for like, $4 and am only on #2 (and the only reason #1 went in the trash was because it feel into the dirty cat litter). I recently traveled for a few nights and packed a regular toothbrush... I missed my electric :(

Question - how often are you supposed to change out the heads of an electric toothbrush?

About every 3 months.  I look closely at the bristles; if they are just starting to fray at the ends, it's time to change.   You can also tell when the heads take more than a fraction of a second to "shake off" water.  Some of the heads change color, too, but I doubt these new cheap ones do.  The fraying is a better indication.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
The vibration makes my nose itch, but my teeth feel much cleaner.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »
The vibration makes my nose itch, but my teeth feel much cleaner.

The vibration definitely takes some getting used to. Definitely a weird sensation when you're not used to it.

I actually looked at what I had last night and it is indeed a Sonicare! I think I picked up mine at Target on sale for $30ish.

About every 3 months.  I look closely at the bristles; if they are just starting to fray at the ends, it's time to change.   You can also tell when the heads take more than a fraction of a second to "shake off" water.  Some of the heads change color, too, but I doubt these new cheap ones do.  The fraying is a better indication.

Thanks! I don't remember when I bought mine (within the past 3-5 months I think) but it might be time to change out the head. I'll take a closer look tonight.

J_Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
Sonicare definitely helps.  I stay away from the generic brand heads for the e-Series because they break too easily.  I bought a two pack from Amazon and one broke within a few days and the next didn't last a month.  Best deal is the 6 pack from Costco when it goes on sale for $39.99.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »

Oh gosh, I really wasn't trying to brag! I just did not notice any difference in teeth feeling cleaner. In fact I found that my Sonicare got really grotty, really fast.

Anyhow my teeth are not super white and a bit crooked, so hopefully that offers you some comfort. :D

The problem with anecdotal evidence related to dental care is that people are genetically given very different cards in this area.

I brush my teeth twice a day with a regular toothbrush.  I floss a couple times a week.  I went ten years without a dental checkup or cleaning, and when the dentist saw me he found a small cavity . . . no other problems.

My wife brushes three times a day with an electric toothbrush.  She flosses twice a day.  She uses special mouthwash.  She has had several tooth problems requiring some rather extensive dental work.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
Sonicare definitely helps.  I stay away from the generic brand heads for the e-Series because they break too easily.  I bought a two pack from Amazon and one broke within a few days and the next didn't last a month.  Best deal is the 6 pack from Costco when it goes on sale for $39.99.

I tried one brand of generics for Sonicare.  It was the buzziest, most awful thing.  I just threw them away and went back to buying name brands.  As the Sonicare began to fail, I moved to the Oral B because the heads were cheaper.

It's quite possible... even probable... that there are non-Sonicare branded heads that work just fine.  I just didn't want to experiment further.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
I've used Sonicare for 20 years.  Sonimart is the first generic brush head worth a flip.  About the half the price of the real thing, and works just as well.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
I use an Oral B.  The toothbrush itself is pretty cheap, but the heads seem expensive for what they are.  You can find packs of them much cheaper on ebay (though watch out for the chinese knock-off versions; apparently they don't last as long and have quality issues).  Totally worth it, and I notice a difference when I use a normal toothbrush.  For a while I would take a normal toothbrush with me when I traveled, but I realized that my teeth felt bad/gross after a week or so of not using an electric toothbrush.. so now when I travel I bring an electric toothbrush with me.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
Sonicare kicks major ass.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

The problem with anecdotal evidence related to dental care is that people are genetically given very different cards in this area.

I brush my teeth twice a day with a regular toothbrush.  I floss a couple times a week.  I went ten years without a dental checkup or cleaning, and when the dentist saw me he found a small cavity . . . no other problems.

My wife brushes three times a day with an electric toothbrush.  She flosses twice a day.  She uses special mouthwash.  She has had several tooth problems requiring some rather extensive dental work.

Yep. My brother and sister both have had a lot of trouble with their teeth. Mine, like I said, are a bit more crooked than your average middle-class person, but overall I got pretty lucky.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Just saw that Costco will have the Sonicare on sale during Sept.  This will be my personal splurge for the year.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
My dentist made positive comments after I started using the Sonicare electric toothbrush last year.  You can purchase generic refill bristles from Amazon.

I tried that once, from 2 different sellers, and the quality wasn't as good. It's worth it to me to pay extra for the real things. Screwing up my teeth is costly.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 10:32:26 PM »
I definitely notice a difference.  I have an Oral-B Pro 5000 that I won in a drawing.  It's fun because it's bluetooth enabled.  I can select different programs and settings.  I can also add areas that need special attention, or my dentist can,and then follow along with the program as I brush.  Would I pay extra for the bluetooth?  Not likely, but I'll definitely replace the toothbrush when it dies.

I can feel the difference with the electric toothbrush.  My teeth just feel cleaner and my gums are tightening up a bit.  I pair it with a water flosser.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »
FYI - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QZ67ODE/ref=vp_c_A2B4XMF76YFVPN_2_vpc_atc_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=beauty

"Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White" - Amazon deal of the day for $24.99, plus a $5 coupon. You could score it for $20! The $5 coupon also applies to the replacement heads.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »
I wasn't even looking for a toothbrush.  I came to get a book suggestion but now I'm ordering a toothbrush....

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 08:48:22 AM »
Just now ordered the Sonicare for $21. Thanks y'all

joninnyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »
The problem is that just like with most things, all the scientific evidence supporting electric toothbrushes is found in studies that were paid for by.. electric toothbrush companies. See
Code: [Select]
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0889540689903545 and the "Sponsored by" at the bottom.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »
The problem is that just like with most things, all the scientific evidence supporting electric toothbrushes is found in studies that were paid for by.. electric toothbrush companies. See
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0889540689903545 and the "Sponsored by" at the bottom.

I mean that's interesting, especially if it was "all", but not necessarily problematic if the methodology is sound and the investigators are independent (I know still lots of problems, but bear with me), it is one of those things that should come out when you have multiple repeatable studies, and systematic reviews.

The process should work, it just takes time.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
After using a Philips Sonicare for several years now I don't need a scientific study to tell me that it is better than a manual toothbrush.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »
After using a Philips Sonicare for several years now I don't need a scientific study to tell me that it is better than a manual toothbrush.

Is it the placebo effect that caused me to go from having a cavity filled every 6-12 mo to not having a cavity in 3 years (after switching to an electric toothbrush)?

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2016, 05:54:47 AM »

Is it the placebo effect that caused me to go from having a cavity filled every 6-12 mo to not having a cavity in 3 years (after switching to an electric toothbrush)?

That's exactly what it is.  It's the same effect that caused me to go from loose, bleeding gums to tight, healthy gums (as per doc) that never bleed.

Let's hear it for the placebo effect!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »
Man I love my new toothbrush.  Why didn't someone tell me what I was missing sooner!?     Is there any other stuff I'm missing out on that works this good?

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
Man I love my new toothbrush.  Why didn't someone tell me what I was missing sooner!?     Is there any other stuff I'm missing out on that works this good?

Bidets and bicycles!