Author Topic: e-Bike Conversion Kits - recommendations requested  (Read 5306 times)

ritchiewall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
e-Bike Conversion Kits - recommendations requested
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
Hey there.

I am looking to convert a couple of my bikes to electric. I am considering front hub more than the others (mid-drive or rear hub) and I am looking for recommendations of companies. I am aware that power and size of batteries are personal choice dependant upon the distance and style of riding, however, with so many companies out there, I'd like to deal with someone that comes recommended.

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks in advance!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: e-Bike Conversion Kits - recommendations requested
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:10:45 AM »
Check out luna cycle, i converted 2 bikes with their kits (bafang bbshd)

jpeizie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
I can't help on the front hub question, but I can second the recommendation for LunaCycle. They have been really good to work with and more than once I have called them up and they sat on the phone with me for 30+ minutes talking over options and what would make sense for how I plan to use it.

I ended up going with the BBS-02 mid-drive like dustin.

ritchiewall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
That's great, thanks.

They have a Facebook page which supports what you are both saying.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »
Front hub kits are nice value -- easy to install and low cost....   so if you want a hub kit, look for low cost options (with the power rating you want) for the hub kit. note -  Chinese ratings reported tend to be inflated.   Please realize that you won't be jumping curbs once you have a front wheel hub kit installed.

For batteries, you can save a lot by using a smaller battery, unless you know for certain that you will be riding for more than 1 hr at a time.  1 hour will get you quite far...   I found that on a 1 hour battery, I would get 30 minutes with lots of hills and my own pedal power for the downhill / flats  OR, just over an hour using the throttle on downhill only.  The only problem with a smaller battery is that continually completely discharging it can shorten its life.

I have pretty much convinced myself to buy the bafang mid drive if DH will install it for me, but that costs a LOT! more than a hub kit.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
Lunacycle. I bought the BBSHD kit w/offroad programming.

The kit allows you to use all the gears on your rear wheel. You can manually (with an allen wrench) change the front sprocket. Comes with a 46 tooth front sprocket which has worked out well for me around town. The mtn bikers use a tiny front sprocket for maximum power on the trail hills. Honestly I think the 46 tooth sprocket is pretty darn good for my needs.

I have the 11.5 (12?) AHr Panasonic 18650 GA batteries in a "Carbon Shark" (lockable case) yielding a 48V battery that has enough speed and plenty of range (30 miles on flat ground, maybe more if you pedal more, ride the motor less). When these batteries wear out I might go for a 52V pack next time. I'm at ~775 miles so far. No problems.

I have the fancy charger too. Had some charger troubles early on and Lunacycle was great to work with.

I opted for the shift sensor and brake switches that cuts the throttle when you shift/brake (reed switches and magnets). Functions as an safety interlock.

Mine has the color display. Has a 9-level PAS system but not torque sensing like the Bosch drive system. Not a problem IMHO. The Luancycle/BaFang motor just looks for movement of the pedals before it activates the motor. Also has a thumb throttle on the BBSHD. I use that as well. Good for squirting across an intersection or passing something that might be a risk to your safety. The thumb throttle does not require you to pedal - functions like a scooter does.

I wanted anyone to be able to test ride this bike b/c I think it represents a real education opportunity for the average person. The roads might be friendlier around here with more bikes on them.

I would encourage you to consider pulling the battery when you lock up the bike at shops. Also look for a smaller display at purchase time b/c it attracts attention when locked up. I'm fortunate that I ride mostly from home to work where I can store it in my office.

Hub motors: may not be as efficient on hills (may consume more watt-hours). Definitely powerful. Cheaper. Heavier. I would encourage you to consider what happens on wet roads if the front wheel slips. You may crash. I prefer rear-wheel drive bikes and there are rear wheel drive hub motor kits. A coworker built one (different brand) and its good. His did not have PAS, throttle only.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:30:20 PM by Just Joe »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:57:08 AM »
Also consider adding the Leikke front sprocket to the Lunacycle/Bafang BBSHD.

This corrected a less than optimum chainline situation on my bike. Went from the stock 46T to a 42T front sprocket at the same time.

ess load on the motor (smaller sprocket) so I expect the motor to last more miles (age) and more miles (range).

There is also a 36T front sprocket that might even be better on the hills around here but I'm not spending the cash to find out.

I'm pretty satisfied with what I have with the 42T sprocket.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
Leikke is good if it works for your specific bike.  It doesn't fit for all bikes.  There are a few different other options that work better (Luna makes a couple of them) depending on the bike model.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »
Yes you are correct. I needed the additional offset the Leikke provides.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/motors-and-kits/bbshd/20359-bbshd-chainring-offset-guide