Author Topic: Duvet covers? Where to buy, Cost vs quality  (Read 15671 times)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Duvet covers? Where to buy, Cost vs quality
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »
I've used a duvet (given to us) without a cover for a four years. LOVE it. Had an $8 ikea cover and it was so scratchy and awful we just got rid of the cover and used the duvet alone.

So now i wash it, set it out in the sun every once in a while. And with regular bedroom activities.. Errr... And 2 black cats who sleep on it during the day...  it looks.. Errr.. Less "pristine" even after cleaning and sitting out. Plus it's annoying to clean it so often. We need a new cover.

The prices on duvet covers seem ridiculous! I just want a simple one in a light gray or white or grey and white pattern. Ideally I'd spend under $50 for non-scratchy cotton. Should I just make one out of 2 fitted sheets? Or spring for real linen that would last longer?

The options I saw today were
20-$50 for similar crappy/scratchy quality from Walmart
$80 ish for a plain one from Sears or TJ Maxx or Winners (maybe wait till I see one on clearance here?
 $165 right now for the Belgian linen one at Restoration Hardware (2/3 of what it is normally).
There is no ikea nearby but I would order a nicer option from them if they had one. They do have a linen set but I don't know about quality. Some in the $60 range in cotton look OK.

Is linen worth it? I've wanted it for a bit, but I don't know if it'll last twice as long as the $80 one. Ideally if I could get a simple one for $30 that wasn't scratchy in cotton that would work. 

"no cover" is fine a while longer...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:18:49 PM by MBot »

econberkeley

• Stubble
Re: Duvet covers? Where to buy, Cost vs quality
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »
Ikea duvet covers are the best value. They have a big selection, but the lowest priced ones are not good.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »
I picked 2 queen size flat sheets at thrift shop, sewed them together, put a zipper on it and ties for all of the corners to hold the comforter in place. It took about an hour to do and I am very happy with the results.
Would you consider dyeing your current cover a different color to make it still appealing?

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »
I picked 2 queen size flat sheets at thrift shop, sewed them together, put a zipper on it and ties for all of the corners to hold the comforter in place. It took about an hour to do and I am very happy with the results.
Would you consider dyeing your current cover a different color to make it still appealing?

It is being used with no cover, so the duvet itself is getting dirty.

It's hard to tell if this is a "buy a reasonably priced option every decade or so" but or if I can just try and buy something simple to last forever. Growin up we just had blankets. I love the down duvet we were gifted but it's a whole new world.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
I love L L Bean for linens. Their duvet covers are great.

okonomiyaki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:34:13 AM »
Nothing beats Ikea for value/price ratio. I never buy linens anywhere else anymore. The only thing is to go for a 100% cotton or linen option - some of the cheaper ones have polyester and are less nice to sleep under.

Of course, if you want "really" non-scratchy, you could make your own out of silk (buying silk pre-made ones would be way too expensive).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
Goodwill.  I have bought several there.  Just a matter of watching for the right size/color/fabric to show up.  Bring it home and immediately run it through the laundry on the hottest setting a couple of times with plenty of soap.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:36 PM »
Wow, I just came back to thank you for starting this thread.  Having posted my suggestion about Goodwill, it occurred to me that one of my duvet covers is wearing out so I took my own advice and stopped at Goodwill during my errands today.  Sure enough.  Found a beautiful 100% cotton Ikea comforter cover for less than $6.00 including tax.  Not quite as good a deal as the one that's wearing out which cost $1.50 but even Goodwill stores are entitled to some inflation over 10 years.  It's in the washer now.  Life is good!

CopperTex

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
I just got a king size duvet cover that came with two pillow cases, 1500 thread count on Amazon for $30. It's super comfy. I'm not into the used bedding thing.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »
I just got a king size duvet cover that came with two pillow cases, 1500 thread count on Amazon for $30. It's super comfy. I'm not into the used bedding thing.

Must make it tough to stay in hotels.

ria1024

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
I got one of these from LL Bean 5 years ago - the flannel has been super comfortable, and we use the cover (basically two layers of flannel sheets) as a lightweight blanket sometimes.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78399?feat=4094-GN3&page=ultrasoft-comfort-flannel-comforter-cover&attrValue_0=Mariner%20Blue

CopperTex

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »

I knew someone would have something snarky to say to this comment.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
I am using the Ikea white linen duvet cover and pillowcases. The quality is quite good, IMO. We've also got a few of their cotton duvet covers (not the cheapest ones but the sturdier, brighter ones) and they have all held up wonderfully. Like, going on 8 years and still colorful and not worn-looking.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »
My duvet cover is from Ikea. Quality at ikea varies very much based on price. Purchased one of the cheapest ones at ikea for my son and it is an awful scratchy magnet for cat hairs and constantly a wrinkled disaster. Mine was min range price at ikea and is lovely soft cotton and has held up nicely for years.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »

I knew someone would have something snarky to say to this comment.

You are right it was snarky.  I apologize. Obviously, this something where even other mustachians don't agree with me.  You have piqued my curiosity on the subject.  I am going to start a thread on Ask a Mustachian for more input.  Come and post if you feel like it.

IdigArchaeology!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
I was also flabbergasted at the price of duvet covers, so I sewed my own too.  I've made a couple now, actually, so I can change them out with the season.  I bought 2 queen size sheets new--gasp!--from Target, one cotton, the other, a divine flannel, for my winter duvet cover.  Seriously, make a flannel duvet cover and then cry with happiness.  The total cost was $30, since the flannel sheet was part of a whole set that was on extra mark downs.  I have since bought gorgeous sheets at the Goodwill for $4-$5 and put them together into duvet covers.  I like doing mix-and-max sheets because if you then flip the duvet over, it's like you've bought a whole new bed spread.

BTW I didn't use a zipper.  I stacked the sheets on top of one another so that the top hem of the sheet was together, and it is this top hem that is my open side.  I sewed 3 sides shut, then sewed one end 1/4 of the way on each side of the open side, and then in the middle gap, I put equally spaced buttons.  So awesome because having the top hem of the sheet for the button side means I didn't have to hem the opening!!  Hope this makes sense.  Overall took about 30 mins.  Aces!

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »
Target or Ikea. Ikea's cheap stuff is REALLY cheap, but once you get to $30+ their stuff is pretty good. I have a few different styles and they're all great.

OlyFish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 12:37:44 AM »
We got a nice linen one from H&M home. Durable and cozy.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 02:41:06 PM »
Cuddledown, the Company Store, Garnet Hill and Lands' end make soft, high quality covers that last for years and years.  However, I will not pay their regular prices.  Sales, clearance and coupon codes bring them way down and they become, to me, a good deal.  The only duvet covers I have not been happy with are Target and Ikea.  Best I ever got and has lasted 13 yrs and is still luxurious, is one from Peacock Alley, very expensive brand that is occasionally found at Tuesday Morning stores and Sierra Trading Post online.  Their sheets are amazing.  If you can find Peacock Alley in your price range, scoop it up, definitely worth it.

Cuddledown's duvets are IMHO the best, last forever, down doesn't shift, lofty.  They too, can be found on sale, clearance, coupon codes, etc, bringing very good duvets down to department store pricing.  They have outlets in Maine and I can't remember, I believe NH, if you are anywhere near there, best prices.

this makes me sound very picky about bedding, lol.  I got spoiled by visiting a Cuddledown outlet  decades ago and it's hard to go back, buying not so hot stuff, that if I wait, a good deal will come along on other websites

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »
I currently have a duvet from there, maybe two years old? Waited and no good deals were coming up for Cuddledown.  It's maintained it's pouf, down stays where it should and theirs are oversized so I use a king on a queen bed to avoid the hassle of a dust ruffle. Better than ones I've had for the same price range from Macy's but fabric is not nearly as nice as Cuddledown.  I have washed it a ton, often the kiss of death, but it's held up well.  I have 2 shower curtains from there, nicely made, were on clearance. As for duvet covers, that has been a while, I realized I had more duvet covers than anyone needs no matter how great a deal, so at least two years or more since I bought a duvet cover

I've had no problem with holes and my two dogs jump up on the bed.  Maybe they would stand behind it and replace it?  I've never had holes, even in the ikea ones I put in the kids' rooms
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:31:56 PM by FLA »

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
Huh, interesting. Maybe I got a lemon.

great minds, I just added that to my post. I would try for a replacement

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 11:19:32 PM »
I was gifted a white synthetic one but it was unbearably hot. It took the feather duvet's breath ability and nullified it entirely

It took two months to pull the trigger, but I went with the $100 IKEA linen one. It's already beloved by both myself and my husband. We don't find it scratchy or stiff, and it will only get softer.

Washing the slightly of-white colour with detergent first made some parts whiter than others, so I washed it again with a bit of bleach and now it's all the same shade.

But the best part ? Sure, it breathes and it looks nice and the temperature is great over the down duvet without sweating.

But.... It also doesn't slip or move around like the synthetic one we were gifted! That's well worth it.

I really like it. If its durability holds up I am glad to have invested a bit more here.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 05:18:59 AM »
Cheapest option is going to be a thrift store find.  As often as not, I find things new and in original packaging at our local Goodwill or Salvation Army store.  I assume folks get gifted these things in a pattern or color they don't like and eventually donate the stuff.  Good luck!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Both of our down comforters have flannel duvet covers from L.L.Bean. They are good quality, last forever.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
Even the cheap rough ones can usually be softened up. Multiple washings with scratchy towels, using vinegar in the rinse cycle, then drying with tennis balls, for multiple cycles, can really help this. It obviously shortens the life of the fabric, but what a comfy life it is after that...

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 09:19:43 AM »
For those of you who would like to make your own duvet covers or bedding,  Dharma Trading Company has linen, cotton and silk in a variety of weights and weaves at pretty fair prices. I would recommend ordering a swatch before you get the fabric. They also carry dyes if you want to dye your own.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
My duvet cover is from overstock. You have to check them often because stuff comes and goes, but they often have nice bedding.

KES

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »

And we in Australia must be the only country that calls them "doonas". No idea where we got that from.
[/quote]

Ozbeach, not sure about doonas, but an old Hungarian peasant word for comforter is "dunna" (pronounced 'doona'). But I digress from the topic at hand....

Cheshires_Coins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 09:47:18 AM »

I have a top sheet and the duvet over that. I wash the bottom fitted sheet, top sheet and pillow cases weekly, but the duvet cover only at change of seasons. This could work for you -- save the "scratchy" problem?

And we in Australia must be the only country that calls them "doonas". No idea where we got that from.

Apparently it's a Croatian word for a duvet too, pronounced doona but spelled different. My partner uses it because it's what his grandmother called them (live in NZ but doona is not a usual word for them over here).

I got mine from the nicest brand that our (nicer but smaller) version of Wal-mart (called The Warehouse) carries- Maison D'Or. Waited until they had a bedding sale, snagged a feather duvet, two nice feather pillows and a duvet and pillow cover set for less than $300 all up, queen size, when i finished high school and was setting up for moving out. I didn't have a bed big enough for them for most of that time, but it's lasted me 5 years so far and still very comfortable and good looking, though I don't really use it during summer. It's in a reasonably neutral style as well (silvery-beige with gold and red patterns) and I have a feeling that it is going to last me a long time. definitely try to touch the covers before you buy them, same with sheets.