Author Topic: Durable underwear for women  (Read 5497 times)

rachellynn99

• Stubble
Durable underwear for women
« on: May 12, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
Nothing fancy needed. It's me and my two teenaged daughters. I think they are about finished growing. However, it seems like we are always purchasing new underwear for one of us. The elastic gets loose or they get holes etc. I've just been buying Hanes from Target, but surely there is some durable underwear. I don't care what "shape". The girls are athletic so some nice sweatproof or wicking type material would be okay, but not necessary. Any recommendations?

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Durable underwear for women
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Loose elastic and holes sounds more about the way you are treating the clothes than the clothes themselves.  I'd wonder about whether your washer is making the holes (if this is the problem you can put smalls in a mesh bag to protect them rather than changing the washer) and what wash programs you are using - not too hot, or you destroy the elastic.  Handwashing is best, of course, but who does that if they don't need to?

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »
Loose elastic and holes sounds more about the way you are treating the clothes than the clothes themselves.  I'd wonder about whether your washer is making the holes (if this is the problem you can put smalls in a mesh bag to protect them rather than changing the washer) and what wash programs you are using - not too hot, or you destroy the elastic.  Handwashing is best, of course, but who does that if they don't need to?

I was thinking the same, my Target briefs (cotton Fruit of the Loom, not Hanes) don't wear out. I use an ordinary washing machine, tap cold water, and ordinary scent-free detergent.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
Line dry your undies  - never put them in the dryer.

randomstring

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 09:54:24 PM »
Uniqlo boy shorts.  Not bikinis—those have lace edges and go fast.

Boy shorts don’t have lace and survive for a while. (In our house women’s undies are washed in hot water and oxygen bleach )

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »
(In our house women’s undies are washed in hot water and oxygen bleach )

Isn't soap good enough?

And does this harsh treatment happen to men's underwear as well, or is it just women who have disgusting and unhygienic body parts whose emissions have to be bleached to save the world?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 02:37:12 AM »
if you can get them, I really like the Boodie bamboo underwear and singlets. They don't have seams, which can make me break out in hives.

randomstring

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 03:20:58 AM »

Isn't soap good enough?

And does this harsh treatment happen to men's underwear as well, or is it just women who have disgusting and unhygienic body parts whose emissions have to be bleached to save the world?

Do you think this is a constructive comment in a thread about durability of fabrics?

Comments like this do not encourage community participation. (Edit — removed opinionated sentence )

To the original poster — gardenweb used to have an amazing laundry community. It is a good place to check re clothes washing tips if that’s what you are after.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:27:17 AM by randomstring »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »

Isn't soap good enough?

Do you think this is a constructive comment in a thread about durability of fabrics?

I do, actually - overwashing,, and too many harsh chemical cleansers, are a major reason for fabrics deteriorating before their time.  The environmental damage done is also not inconsiderable, taking into account the manufacture of cleansers, the overuse of water and heating, the overuse of washing machines leading to their replacement, and the pollution from waste water, including such things as microplastics getting into the environment.

And it was your sexist emphasis on the need for women's undies to be washed in this way that led to my questioning that aspect.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
Former player - I agree that that method of washing specifically women's underwear with bleach and hot water seems like overkill.  We wash everything (everyone's underwear, clothes, sheets and towels in cold and only use bleach occasionally for stain removal for things like sheets and everything is fine.  I'd also add that you should line dry especially anything with elastic like underwear.  We don't own a dryer and we line dry either outside or inside during winter on a 'clothes horse' in our living room and our underwear seems to live forever.

For brands - we usually get target cotton underwear and it's very durable.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I was just buying cheap undies. I'm not inclined  to line dry and honestly just have been washing them with our normal clothes on a regular cycle with an unscented tide knock off.

However, I did purchase a few pair of Thinx underwear as well as the recommended boody bamboo ones and both have been holding up great for the girls. A bit pricey but look to hold up.