Author Topic: Crystal deodorant  (Read 8281 times)

MAY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Crystal deodorant
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
I’ve long searched for a deodorant that’s effective, economical and doesn’t come in packaging that’s contributing to the world’s waste problem.  Until recently I’d come up empty.  Then I came across a video of a woman on YouTube showing the right way to use a deodorant crystal, something I’d tried a few years back.  After watching this video I realized I’d been doing it all wrong. So I retrieved the one I’d bought from the back of my bathroom cabinet (that I jokingly referred to as the B.O. stick) and applied it as she recommended.  Not only did it work, it worked better than any other deodorant I’ve owned previously.  The trick is to wet it very slightly and then rub it all over the underarm area for 20-30 seconds, depositing a thin layer of the salt onto your skin. You don’t apply it like a regular deodorant, it requires this longer rubbing to work.  It works so well that when i pick up T-shirt’s after a day’s wearing they smell of nothing. No deodorant and certainly no sweat. Moreover, deodorant crystals last for years (up to 3 years I’m hearing).  That was about 8 months ago and I’ll never go back. 

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Crystal deodorant
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
Ten years ago, I found a crystal deodorant in my bathroom cabinet after my wife and I got married. At first, I just dismissed it as one of her BS new-age ideas. For fun, I started using it. Amazingly, it worked better than the traditional deodorant I was using. Ten years later, I am not going back. I am very active, live outdoors (in my camper) practically year-round with limited access to a shower, and yet I don't have body odour and my clothes do not reek even after a day of hiking, because if I did, my Japanese wife's traditional horror of smell and bacteria would kick in. They do work if you use them as you described, and last at least 18 to 24 months, if not longer.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:25 AM »
Seconding the love. I apply mine when I step out of the shower (while my armpits are still wet). If I have to use it otherwise, I've had luck putting water on my pits, then applying the stick (rather than wetting the stick).

Love the near lack of waste.

Petuniajo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
I love my crystal too, and apply it as you described, but I find it just doesn't work well enough through our humid summers. *I* don't get smelly, but the pits of the clothes I'm wearing do. Like, bad. So annoying, because it seems to otherwise work really well!

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »
I also use this and it seems to work well.  It's not antiperspirant but does prevent smell.  At first I ran water over the crystal itself but that wore the crystal more and didn't work as well.  Now I wet my armpits and put it on.  You do have to cover the entire area.  If you miss a spot you will smell. 

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 02:02:44 AM »
I've never heard of crystal deodorant but am intrigued. Nearly every deodorant I try causes irritation or even a rash. Is crystal going to be better in that regard? What specific products do you recommend for a dude? Thanks.

MrGrossGoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »
Never heard of this!  My stick is about to run out, so this might be the perfect time to give it a try!  Thanks for sharing.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »
I've never heard of crystal deodorant but am intrigued. Nearly every deodorant I try causes irritation or even a rash. Is crystal going to be better in that regard? What specific products do you recommend for a dude? Thanks.

I started using crystal deodorant because other natural ones would give me a rash. And the waste/cost benefit of using a crystal with little plastic packaging that lasts years. And no more stains on my T-shirt’s!

I don’t shave my pits generally, but when I do applying it right out of the shower can sting a bit. Literally the only downside. I’ve even converted a lot of my family members. I’m in danger of becoming a crystal deodorant evangelist!

LeftFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 03:12:07 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good crystal deodorant brand/where they get it from please? Keen to try!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good crystal deodorant brand/where they get it from please? Keen to try!

The last one I bought, about a year ago, is simply called Crystal Body Deodorant Stick, in a pink plastic case. Got it from Amazon but they sell it in big box stores. I used other brands in the past and I could not tell the difference. Like all crystal deodorants, just hold it firmly when you use it and don't drop it on a hard surface, because it will break in pieces and will be practically useless.

LeftFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 01:52:09 AM »

The last one I bought, about a year ago, is simply called Crystal Body Deodorant Stick, in a pink plastic case. Got it from Amazon but they sell it in big box stores. I used other brands in the past and I could not tell the difference. Like all crystal deodorants, just hold it firmly when you use it and don't drop it on a hard surface, because it will break in pieces and will be practically useless.

Thank you, nice recommendation! Looks like it's quite a cheap one

bocifule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:31:53 AM »

Any brand! I got my no-name one from the supermarket and works very well!

Scommm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »
I've used this, it works, but alas it's just deodorant, and not anti-perspirant, so although you don't stink you still end up soaked.

MoustacheDArgent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 01:25:23 AM »
I read about this and got excited and tried it.  It did not work.   I wished it did, but it definitely did not work at all.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 02:30:08 AM »
I don't smell like sweat when I use it but I start smelling something else instead, a kind of sour smell that is not repugnant but not one I really like. I like the homemade stuff from coconut oil and baking soda much more but in the end I tend to go back to regular deodorants after a while anyway.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 06:08:46 AM »
I'm using it every day in this crazy heat and it's going strong.  When I sniff my arm pits I smell absolutely nothing, which is how it should be. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »
I read about this and got excited and tried it.  It did not work.   I wished it did, but it definitely did not work at all.

When I started using it there was definitely an adjustment period. The first two weeks were smelly, but I had tried every kind of super strong deodorant out there and was sweating through and smelly using them, so I figured it didn’t matter. By a month in I was very happy.  No to low smell. No funk on clothing. No constantly trying new kinds hoping they will work. Etc. Etc. If I sniff my pits I do smell a bit like sweat at the end of a long day. But, I smell a bit like sweat. Not that wild funk of deodorant build up.

Clothes last so much longer! 

I just wet the stick and cover surface area. I don’t spend 30 seconds rubbing. Just quick, but surface area seems key for me.

imolina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Canadian expat
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »
I have one for a few years and it looks almost like new. Are they supposed to last forever?. When do you dispose them?.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
I read the whole thread and googled it - I was thinking it would be a super pretty crystal I can keep on my work desk and secretly use if I forget.

Haha I still forget like few times a year but I use the hand sani trick its amazing and always works, feels cold and wet at first but once dry you are GOOD for at least 12 hours. Prolly Helps that our office is always 65 degrees because boss won't let us lower and he is always hot and not eco friendly.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
I have one for a few years and it looks almost like new. Are they supposed to last forever?. When do you dispose them?.

Mine dissolve slowly until they get small and difficult to hold. Then I inevitably drop it on a tile floor and it shatters and I replace it. I’m reaching that point now, two years in to a travel sized one.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
I last used one about 10 years ago.  Didn't like it because my armpits always felt damp and sticky.  I definitely need the antiperspirant part of deod because I will sweat right through clothes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!