Author Topic: Cleaning Upholstery; machines worth while?  (Read 1307 times)

vhalros

• Bristles
Cleaning Upholstery; machines worth while?
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
I have a couch, and the upholstery could use some cleaning in a few spots. Are machines like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RMQSTW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1 actually worth anything?  Or can I achieve the same effect with soap, towels, and elbow grease?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cleaning Upholstery; machines worth while?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
I have both a small Bissell similar to that, and a bigger upright one for carpets, and I think they're a wonder!  Especially the carpet one gets out tons of dirt and I use the small one for the car seats.  The biggest difference over just hand scrubbing spots is that you don't end up with a water ring at the edge, a bright clean spot surrounded by darker, dirtier fabric, and there is no pilling of the fabric, which you can get if you rub too hard by hand.  You could try it by hand first and see what results you get, then rent a machine if you're not happy.  Be careful what kind of soap you use or you won't get it all out - I'd recommend the stuff meant for the machines.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cleaning Upholstery; machines worth while?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »
I dont know how frequently you clean upholstery, but why not just rent one of these machines for a few hours?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!