Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300119 times)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
Dr Martens Buy It For Life

http://drmartensforlife.com/the-guarantee/

For life.
+1 Mine are 20 years old this year! (Shoe style)

I may have already said this, think of me as Dory on Finding Nemo, I apologize in advance if did.  Anyway, I have Doc boots and Mary Janes that I got 30 years ago. They could pass as gently used, certainly not 3 decades used.  I was a hospice home care nurse, hospice patients cannot shovel their driveways.  I wore the boots or the Mary Janes depending on amount of snow.  Better than Bean boots.  I have always loved my Mary Janes and I wore them as regular shoes, not snow shoes, until I was around 35 and I gained weight, felt dowdy, my clothes for work really did not go with the shoes. So relegated to weekend use and snow. 

then I had teens and they found Docs and now I am not allowed to wear mine no matter how bad it snows because I am embarrassing myself.  Same thing with Converse. DD wants my mary Janes and I will not do it, solely because of how they handled the situation, if she had said, "cool mom, can I borrow?" no prob.  "OMG, take those off, you are too old for those, OMG," gets her brother, tag teamed making fun of me.  I am purposely putting the Mary Janes in a special place and DD can have them when I am below ground.

I also have a pair of less heavy, Doc-y style shoes that don't have the tread, just comfy work shoes, 15 yrs old, still wear them.  Oops, I mean I am still allowed to wear them

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2015, 04:58:05 AM »
I walked through the soles if my rainbows in a couple of years, so it must depend on foot patterns.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
Does anyone have experience with Duluth Trading garments? The longevity seems to be a selling point of theirs.

I have a couple IRL friends who like them but IIRC past threads here have been decidedly mixed in feedback.

Just found this thread myself. On the Lodge cookware I didn't find it particularly hard to season even with the rough surface, but I don't have decades-old cast iron to compare it with.

I've bought a number of things via BIFL thread recommendations, but all within the past couple years, so I can't honestly +1 anything yet.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
For durable goods, one of my rules actually is 'buy it for life'. For good quality tools, I'm willing to pass up the "Made in China" sticker even if it means paying double for something that lasts. My Dewalt planer, cordless hammerdrill and circ saw are still going strong 2 houses, a garage and 2 pole buildings later (with new batteries over the course of the last 10 years). And the Bosch 12" miter saw shows no signs of slowing down. In that time I've also added some vintage hand tools that have proven their worth.

Speaking of vintage, it's worth surfing craigslist and hitting the estate sales for quality linens, blankets and dishware. You'd be surprised the number of times sheets and blankets were tucked away as spares or wedding gifts, never to be used because the originals never wore out. The kitchen appliances are all vintage as well- they're extremely efficient with lots of insulation, and repairable should something need attention after 50 years. Plus, who doesn't love a turquoise kitchen? : )

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
Redwing boots. Mine are steel-toed. Years of military use, and 35,000 miles of shifting on motorcycles, they're still fantastic. After 10 years, I had to get the soles replaced. That was $106. That brings the 10 year cost to less than $5/month. I was replacing my Bates every few months at $50-100 a pop.

Gerber multitools. I have two. One I keep on the bike, one I keep around the house. A decade of regular use and still going strong. The knives are finally getting a little dull, but I have a wet stone to fix that.

Lodge cast iron. I keep hearing horror stories about newer ones not being nearly as good as vintage, and that cooking eggs is the worst thing ever. At first, eggs would stick, even using extra fat to cook them in. Within a month, that wasn't the case anymore. Now I use the same amount of oil or butter even when I was using what was supposed to be non-stick (and that I've had to use with quality SS-sandwiched copper pans). I cook in my 12" skillet every day. It's the easiest pan to clean I've ever used. Just sucks it takes a good 10 minutes to pre-heat.

Powerblock adjustable dumbbells. These things have been taking a daily beating for 10 years and the soft grips haven't even begun to wear out yet. They cost an arm and a leg, but damn have they been worth every penny. It's having just two dumbbells that I can adjust to fit what I need, instead of needing a whole rack worth.

Ader kettlebell. Another piece of workout equipment that's been taking a beating for a decade. I imagine any cast iron kettlebell will last as long as any other piece of coated cast iron; that is to say just about forever. I mention this because I've seen some very questionable rubber and plastic ones for cheap at Walmart and Ross and the like. Seems more worthwhile to get what you'll know will last, and a pair of gloves if you're worried about grip.

Vacuum insulated stainless steel thermos. Has anyone ever not had one last forever? Because mine seems to be, even if I do keep managing to drop them on rocks and concrete.

I think the general population would be surprised how many things could last a great deal longer than they expect, if they kept up with maintenance. Knives need sharpened and proper care. Fridges, washing machines, coffee makers, etc. all have maintenance cycles, whether they're meant to be BIFL or just making them last as long as possible. Cars aren't the only things we buy that need maintained, but I've rarely met anyone who keeps the coils on the fridge cleaned, or runs vinegar through their coffee pots, or oils their leather furniture/boots/jackets/etc.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Not exactly 'for life', but...
Over a year ago I was in a hardware store that had a display of Bambooee washable 'paper' towels that are made from bamboo.  The display included a video of their properties and use suggestions.   I had seen the product on the show "Shark Tank" (and it was part of the in-store video).
I was impressed at how soft and tuff they are - you can not rip them by hand (at least when new).
I bought a roll of the 'sweeps' model that have 'scrubbing dots' on one side for use in 'swiffer' (type) floor cleaners.  I put one on my floor cleaner.
I put another one at my kitchen sink for washing dishes.  The dots come in handy for that!
After a few months, I was impressed with their durability and gave half of the rest of them to a friend.
I'm STILL amazed at how durable they are - and how easy they are to clean.  I've only bought one roll of paper towels since then (there are some things that just need to be wiped up and thrown away).  I'm still only using the first two Bambooees.
Now that I'm writing this, I realize I should sanitize them in the microwave.  Correction, I just looked it up and GoodHouseKeeping says a 5 min. soak in bleach water is the best way to sanitize (but I dunno why they say to make a gallon...).
No affiliation with Bambooee or Shark Tank in any way.

Pancake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
Weber grills. Can't say as much for their covers, but they do last quite a while too.
We've all seen grills left by the trash with a free sign on them. I leave them all unless they're a Weber. Several I've cleaned up and sold for $100 that were at least 10 years old and just needed a new igniter and a good scraping.  I've had the e300 propane for 5 years and use it regularly. It looks like brand new still. I can't imagine it lasting any less than 25 years. For a grill, that is basically BIFL especially considering most die/break/rust/fall apart within just a few years.

Oh and there is just no question on the ease of use, even heat, no flare ups, searing and temperature ability, etc.  I use it frequently and for quick and minor grilling too (yes I know about charcoal) so propane is the way to go for me.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2015, 07:48:54 PM »
  The kitchen appliances are all vintage as well- they're extremely efficient with lots of insulation, and repairable should something need attention after 50 years. Plus, who doesn't love a turquoise kitchen? : )

had my grandpa's turquoise 50's milk shake maker, it stopped working but fit the 50s kitchen vibe.  He had had his own homemade ice scream shop, so it was sentimental.  Hoarding mother of many types of things, insisted this must go when I wasn't looking.  Those sneaky hoarders.

skye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2015, 05:06:08 AM »
Anyone tried Tom Cridland T-shirts, sweatshirts or trousers? The first two are guaranteed for 30 years (should you be the same size in 30 years time.) I bought one for a present and it went down well plus they deliver worldwide as they're based in the UK. www.tomcridland.co.uk

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:31 AM »
Weber grills. Can't say as much for their covers, but they do last quite a while too.
We've all seen grills left by the trash with a free sign on them. I leave them all unless they're a Weber. Several I've cleaned up and sold for $100 that were at least 10 years old and just needed a new igniter and a good scraping.  I've had the e300 propane for 5 years and use it regularly. It looks like brand new still. I can't imagine it lasting any less than 25 years. For a grill, that is basically BIFL especially considering most die/break/rust/fall apart within just a few years.

Oh and there is just no question on the ease of use, even heat, no flare ups, searing and temperature ability, etc.  I use it frequently and for quick and minor grilling too (yes I know about charcoal) so propane is the way to go for me.

I'm a Weber (charcoal) guy myself. And my parents have a Weber propane grill that's pushing 20 years now. I think the only repair it's ever needed has been replacing the "flavor bars" that go between the burners and the grates.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
1. My Omafiets Workcycle bike. It was an intentional lifetime purchase. Weighs a ton, but solid as a rock. Great as my daily driver, and the only step-through bike I could find that comfortably fit my 6' frame (other than custom-made ones). Here's a link: http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/handmade-city-bicycles/workcycles-omafiets-dutch-granny-bike

2. Solid, heavy aluminum rimmed baking sheets. I buy half-sheet-pan sized ones from our local restaurant supply store for about $10 each.

3. +47 on the cast iron cookware.

4. Our 100% wool Oriental rugs. Amazingly durable. The fringe has fallen victim to the cats and kids, but the rugs themselves still look great.

5. Our Global chef's knife. We kept wrecking the handles on the ones we had, and finally went with the model where the handle is metal and a seamless part of the knife. Love it. It's this one: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-17694/?affsrcid=AFF0005&adpos=1o1&creative=45092948981&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CMXxiNfaw8gCFQQKaQodRXII3g
(I'm not affiliated with Sur la Table, but it is where we purchased the knife. They do go on sale on a regular basis -- perhaps every year or so?)

6. Our Thomasville bed. It was not cheap. I love the way it looks, and it's rock-solid. No squeaks, no wiggle, no creaking or groaning. Completely worth it.

7. The Pendleton Woolen Mills wool blanket on aforementioned bed. Had it 14 years, looks brand new.

8. Our Denby dishware set (we chose the Regency Green colorway). We received it as a wedding gift and have used it daily since then (14 years, again) -- and it looks beautiful and is in great condition. It is both our everyday china and our special occasion china (OK, technically, stoneware), and never fails to give me pleasure.

Sadly, our LeCreuset has not been a lifetime purchase for us. Our dutch oven is still going strong, but we have a smaller, 3-quart saucepan that has lost the enameling on the bottom (food-contact surface). When we asked LeCreuset to fix it, they claimed we were using too high of a heat on the pan. We disagree with this assessment, as the Dutch oven is still in excellent condition despite being several years older. Will not be spending the massive bucks on this brand again.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:15:25 PM by Urchina »

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:49 AM »

2. Solid, heavy aluminum rimmed baking sheets. I buy half-sheet-pan sized ones from our local restaurant supply store for about $10 each.

Sadly, our LeCreuset has not been a lifetime purchase for us. Our dutch oven is still going strong, but we have a smaller, 3-quart saucepan that has lost the enameling on the bottom (food-contact surface). When we asked LeCreuset to fix it, they claimed we were using too high of a heat on the pan. We disagree with this assessment, as the Dutch oven is still in excellent condition despite being several years older. Will not be spending the massive bucks on this brand again.

I keep forgetting to try the restaurant supply store. Do they charge more for regular people and less for restaurant people, kwim?  The way professional beauty and hair supplies stores do?

My Le Crueset is doing fine, I buy it at the outlets, older colors are great deals.  I would go up the chain of command and complain. That is a brand that should definitely Buy it For Life

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »

I keep forgetting to try the restaurant supply store. Do they charge more for regular people and less for restaurant people, kwim?  The way professional beauty and hair supplies stores do?

My Le Crueset is doing fine, I buy it at the outlets, older colors are great deals.  I would go up the chain of command and complain. That is a brand that should definitely Buy it For Life

Ours does not, and neither does the one by my MIL. They are both open to the public with good prices on all sorts of stuff.

If you have a Smart & Final locally, they also carry basic restaurant cookware, including sheet pans. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »
thanks!

conpewter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »
I just spent a good twenty minutes polishing my ebayed Allen Edmonds. I think they're in better shape now than when I bought them. I don't normally love shoes, but both of these have been terrific. I almost wish I needed a third pair.

I'm looking at two boots from them and I keep reading reviews saying the soles delaminate/come off early.  Any thoughts on their boots?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/casual-shoes/eagle-county-boots/SF9442.html?dwvar_SF9442_color=9442#start=10

or

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/new-styles/sturgis-2.0-plain-toe-boots/SF1713.html?dwvar_SF1713_color=1713

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
Turvis tumblers up to 75% at Bed Bath Beyond, plus use the 20% off one item coupon..  Some as low as $6.99.  Some with lids, these are a steal.

Most do not come with lids, and IMHO, without the lid to help keep cold in, then why bother with these?  I've seen deals on lids online.

I love these! Patterns on this clearance, IMO, were too masculine. But there are pink initial ones

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/turvis-clearance?ta=typeahead

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »
I just spent a good twenty minutes polishing my ebayed Allen Edmonds. I think they're in better shape now than when I bought them. I don't normally love shoes, but both of these have been terrific. I almost wish I needed a third pair.

I'm looking at two boots from them and I keep reading reviews saying the soles delaminate/come off early.  Any thoughts on their boots?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/casual-shoes/eagle-county-boots/SF9442.html?dwvar_SF9442_color=9442#start=10

or

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/new-styles/sturgis-2.0-plain-toe-boots/SF1713.html?dwvar_SF1713_color=1713
I'd go to reddit.com/r/GoodyearWelt and ask about them. Two of my three pairs have sewn leather soles. The other has a rubber sole but I haven't had any problem with it loosening or delaminating in three years of ownership.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
Eddie Bauer Umbrella.

Broke.  Threw it in trash.  Thought....hmmm. maybe a warranty?  Looked at store website.  Yep guarantee.  No receipt and umbrella is old - not worn the wind won.  Go to store.  Pick out new $30 Umbrella.

So,  if I don't lose it... I got me an umbrella for life.

Pretty Sweet Deal.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
Does anyone have experience with Duluth Trading garments? The longevity seems to be a selling point of theirs.

Big fan of Duluth.  They have a satisfaction guarantee:  if it doesn't live up to your expectations, just return it in one of their pre-paid bags (they'll bill your card ~6.00 once they recive your package.) they will replace the item and ship it back.

I've returned pants and shirts that have ripped, and received replacements.  No questions asked!

Their firehose pants are great.  Very durable, and incredibly comfortable.  So much so that I wear my "work" Duluth clothing on the weekends much to the chagrin of my SO.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
1) Channellock Pliers of almost any sort
2) Rigid Adjustable Pipe-wrenches
3) Milwaukee Sawzall (rare electric tool still made in USA)
4) +1 to the All-Clad cookware
5) +1 to the Red Wing boots
6) If you can find them, made in USA Craftsman socket sets
7) Made in USA Dickies - seem to fit more "true to size"
8) Fein oscillating tool - makes a Dremel seem like a toy
9) Rainbow sandals
10) Patagonia products, especially their wetsuits.  I can surf in 50 degree water with a wetsuit thats 1-2 mm thinner than a normal wetsuit because it's lined with merino wool

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2015, 05:08:43 AM »

9) Rainbow sandals

my first thought this post probably came from a man, judging by the tools (I know this is not a feminist statement, tough) and all, then I got to rainbow sandals and thought, "WTH, does he wear those multi-colored  Birks? this does not match the rest of his post."  So I googled and now I want some, lol

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
They're an institution here in Southern California.  I got my first pair my second day of school at UCSB in 2002, and besides the pair that my Aussie just consumed, I've only had 3 pairs total.  These ones were going strong (even had a small hole worn through the left heel) before I left them on the floor while I was out at dinner and returned to find the soles intact but no more straps.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
These are on my list, as are Le Creuset cookware. BIF-multiple-lifetimes. I have several inherited pieces that I can't imagine will ever bite the dust. High quality cookware and utensils are always a better buy than cheaply made. High quality cookware on sale is even better. I did recently replace the heatproof plastic knob on one of my 40-year-old Le Creuset pots because it started to crack. $13 on Amazon.

My mother wore out the enamel lining on two La Creuset casserole pots. That represents a lot of cooking for her large family. Luckily I was able to find her a replacement at the thrift store. And, because it's smaller, it better suits her now anyway.  I use a straightup cast iron dutch oven, so I don't have to worry about the enamel.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: November 29, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »
Dr Martens Buy It For Life

http://drmartensforlife.com/the-guarantee/

For life.
+1 Mine are 20 years old this year! (Shoe style)

If you read the details, IF your replacement is approved, you have to pay to ship the old boots to them AND pay an administrative fee of $25

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: November 29, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »

Do you have an outlet near you? You may be able to just walk in with the old one and walk out with the new one after a brief conversation. I was able to do that with my ~15 year old Calphalon nonstick pan.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #275 on: November 29, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »
My wife hates our Kirby, because of "bad memories" of having to use a heavy Kirby vacuum in her childhood. So we have a Dyson for her and the kids to use, and it does a good job and serves that purpose well. But I use the Kirby myself because it kicks ass. I told her I'll get rid of the Kirby when it breaks. Ha ha, joke's on her, that thing is indestructible.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
I need to supplement my list with:

Allen Edmonds shoes - made in the USA!
http://youtu.be/TVihz2DbPd8

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2016, 04:03:31 AM »
Calida nightgowns and Le Mystere bras, both bought at huge discounts on Sierra Trading Post

bob@bfrazier.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm not retired, I'm time affluent.
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
And one other thing- tervis large (24 oz) tumblers I love, they keep drinks cold for hours, no sweating, have not faded or got cloudy in the dishwasher, have lids that can be completely closed. I got them at BBB with coupon but if you keep a close eye, they clearance old patterns at close to 75% off when you use the coupon, at that price, a no brainer.  Someone else said they returned theirs. I was a hospice home nurse, my drink with ice stayed cold even in summer heat and being left in a car for a good 6 hrs.

Tervis Tumblers also have a lifetime guarantee with a few provisos. http://www.tervis.com/guarantee

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »

Tervis Tumblers also have a lifetime guarantee with a few provisos. http://www.tervis.com/guarantee
[/quote]

yeah, you have to mail them back to the company and that eats up any savings you got on clearance ones.  Why bother?

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
Reuseit Workhorse Bag (these are reusable shopping bags).
http://www.reuseit.com/reusable-shopping-bags/reuseit-exclusive-reuseit-workhorse-original-reusable-bag.htm
At ~$5 each these will eventually start paying for themselves if used at stores that give a 5cent bag credit. 

I've waited 8 years to make this review, so I can guarantee that they hold up well.  They are stuffable (currently have 4 in my purse).  They are the same footprint as the plastic grocery sacks - so they fit on the cashiers hooks making it easy to load.  They are washable- so I don't worry about using these for meat.  They are STRONG - I regularly fit multiple gallons of milk + canned foot with no difficulty other than remembering that even though the bag is strong I still have to physically carry the stuff into my house. 

About 90% of the time I use them the cashier remarks upon how wonderful my bags are and asks me where I got them.  These are my go-to gift for gift exchanges at work or between friends where a low dollar threshold is set. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »

Reuseit Workhorse Bag (these are reusable shopping bags).
http://www.reuseit.com/reusable-shopping-bags/reuseit-exclusive-reuseit-workhorse-original-reusable-bag.htm
At ~$5 each these will eventually start paying for themselves if used at stores that give a 5cent bag credit. 

I went to the site, 15% off over $50 and buy 3 bags and save a dollar on each

moosieshorts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
Best long-lasting Gear I know of (disclaimer: a lot of this is anecdotal but I've researched as well) Prices in CDN unless otherwise stated

Household
Kirby Vacuum Cleaner - My mother bought one back in 1996, they've only replaced the belt since then, I think an $8 part.
Vitamix - Bought for $399 USD (a deal) after my cheap blender died. The only people I know who buy these twice are when they give the first one to their kid when they move out. At least 25 years of use.
Cast-Iron pans - Certainly beats everything else healthwise. If you don't like the maintenance, Canadian Tire has really good sales on Heritage The Rock series (12"pan with lid red $139.99 I bought for ~$30) and Cuisinart enameled cast iron (7 qt casserole reg $349 bought for under $100)
Can Opener - President's Choice Brand - This $9 silver/grey fella is in mint condition after many years of use. Seems silly to put it down but I hate how cheaply made most can openers are.
Corelle Dishes - Self-explanatory

Footwear/socks
Inov-8 F-Lite Sneakers - Could be because of the way you learn to run/train in them, but I've never had sneakers last over 4 years until I got these. I'm pretty hard on footwear.
Darn Tough Socks - My husband normally wears out good socks quickly and won't let me throw them out even when they're just a cuff. Darn Tough ones haven't worn out yet and I'm not out of my mind when he takes his boots off. 
Chaco sandals - The company replaces them if they wear out, mine haven't.

Other
Lee-Enfield .303 rifle - Lots of firearms last lifetimes, but my 1917 (99 years old overqualifies for BIFL) LE has been shooting well in all conditions for a very long time, and only cost me $160.
Makita 18V Cordless Drill - My dad built a heavy float plane single-handedly and had to pre-drill, de-burr, re-drill a LOT. He cycled 3 different drills for 40 hours a week for several years. The Makita batteries and drill outperformed the rest by a landslide and still works great.

Generally speaking, the best quality kitchen equipment is old used stuff made out of wood, metal, or glass. If I didn't get for free from a relative, I'd find them at garage sales or antique shops as a last resort. Everything was made to last.

Surplus army gear is pretty tough for camping and hunting. The ribbed wool sweaters are the warmest I've ever used even if wet. I think I'm just going to resole my combat boots for hiking/backpacking, they're 13 years old and very comfortable.

I also limit bells and whistles. I don't use a scope on my rifle, and my recurve bow just has a basic quiver attached, no sight or anything like that. Extra features are usually extra potential for something to break or bugger up.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:43:34 AM by moosieshorts »

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
Speed Queen toploading wash machine.  Not HE, but my industrial mechanic of a husband swears by them.  Built incredibly solid, without all the electronic bells and whistles that tend to break and are expensive to repair.  Few wear parts that are easily replaced.   We bought ours 4 years ago, the same time the in-laws bought a fancy one (can't remember brand, LG maybe?)  We've not had a single issue, while theirs is definitely showing wear and has had to be repaired twice. 

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »
Just added to this list: a new Miele canister vacuum cleaner.

So not cheap. So worth it already. Vacuuming the house with my upright used to take 2 hours and made me feel ill (dust blowing around) -- now I can get it done in 30 minutes and feel fine afterwards.

Love this vacuum.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2016, 08:19:31 AM »
Calida nightgowns and Le Mystere bras, both bought at huge discounts on Sierra Trading Post

I know this is an older post, but Le Mystere bras?  How can a bra be BIFL?  I've never had one stay decent past a year or so.  The elastic stretches, and then it doesn't fit.  (I only ever handwash them in tepid water, so that is not the issue.)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »

I know this is an older post, but Le Mystere bras?  How can a bra be BIFL?  I've never had one stay decent past a year or so.  The elastic stretches, and then it doesn't fit.  (I only ever handwash them in tepid water, so that is not the issue.)

they are well made and supportive, by rotating them and putting them in a lingerie bag to wash (not even hand washed), I've have several that are 4-5 yrs old and going strong.  Perhaps not life, but a long time for a bra. The Dream Tischa style is the one that wears like iron. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »

they are well made and supportive, by rotating them and putting them in a lingerie bag to wash (not even hand washed), I've have several that are 4-5 yrs old and going strong.  Perhaps not life, but a long time for a bra. The Dream Tischa style is the one that wears like iron.

Interesting.  Thank you!

aprilchem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »

Doc Martens are not quite BFL, but I have a 20-year-old pair of Air Wears in great condition.
Danskos seem to be holding up well, too.

I have owned a few pairs of Doc Martens and will agree not quite for life but I have had them last me for four to five years of wearing the every day.  Also completely unrelated to Doc Martens but I'll third or forth the idea of Kirby vacuums are pretty legit.

I got my Docs when I was 16 years old.  I'm 40 now and they still fit like a glove and look great, 24 years later. :)

pmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
I bought a pair of work pants and a long sleeve sun shirt for landscaping. I was fairly happy with the shirt, but the pants wore holes much quicker than I would have liked (one season I think, I've had thrift store random pants last longer). My employer highly recommended, but it also may be the difference between women's/men's clothes. My unfortunate experience is mens clothes are thicker fabric, last longer, etc

Big fan of Duluth.  They have a satisfaction guarantee:  if it doesn't live up to your expectations, just return it in one of their pre-paid bags (they'll bill your card ~6.00 once they recive your package.) they will replace the item and ship it back.

I've returned pants and shirts that have ripped, and received replacements.  No questions asked!

Their firehose pants are great.  Very durable, and incredibly comfortable.  So much so that I wear my "work" Duluth clothing on the weekends much to the chagrin of my SO.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »
Best long-lasting Gear I know of (disclaimer: a lot of this is anecdotal but I've researched as well) Prices in CDN unless otherwise stated

Household
Kirby Vacuum Cleaner - My mother bought one back in 1996, they've only replaced the belt since then, I think an $8 part.
Vitamix - Bought for $399 USD (a deal) after my cheap blender died. The only people I know who buy these twice are when they give the first one to their kid when they move out. At least 25 years of use.
Cast-Iron pans - Certainly beats everything else healthwise. If you don't like the maintenance, Canadian Tire has really good sales on Heritage The Rock series (12"pan with lid red $139.99 I bought for ~$30) and Cuisinart enameled cast iron (7 qt casserole reg $349 bought for under $100)
Can Opener - President's Choice Brand - This $9 silver/grey fella is in mint condition after many years of use. Seems silly to put it down but I hate how cheaply made most can openers are.
Corelle Dishes - Self-explanatory

Footwear/socks
Inov-8 F-Lite Sneakers - Could be because of the way you learn to run/train in them, but I've never had sneakers last over 4 years until I got these. I'm pretty hard on footwear.
Darn Tough Socks - My husband normally wears out good socks quickly and won't let me throw them out even when they're just a cuff. Darn Tough ones haven't worn out yet and I'm not out of my mind when he takes his boots off. 
Chaco sandals - The company replaces them if they wear out, mine haven't.

Other
Lee-Enfield .303 rifle - Lots of firearms last lifetimes, but my 1917 (99 years old overqualifies for BIFL) LE has been shooting well in all conditions for a very long time, and only cost me $160.
Makita 18V Cordless Drill - My dad built a heavy float plane single-handedly and had to pre-drill, de-burr, re-drill a LOT. He cycled 3 different drills for 40 hours a week for several years. The Makita batteries and drill outperformed the rest by a landslide and still works great.

Generally speaking, the best quality kitchen equipment is old used stuff made out of wood, metal, or glass. If I didn't get for free from a relative, I'd find them at garage sales or antique shops as a last resort. Everything was made to last.

Surplus army gear is pretty tough for camping and hunting. The ribbed wool sweaters are the warmest I've ever used even if wet. I think I'm just going to resole my combat boots for hiking/backpacking, they're 13 years old and very comfortable.

I also limit bells and whistles. I don't use a scope on my rifle, and my recurve bow just has a basic quiver attached, no sight or anything like that. Extra features are usually extra potential for something to break or bugger up.

Couldn't agree more on the INOV-8 F-Lites. Like wearing a glove for your feet.

Their regular prices are high, however if you set an alarm on Slickdeals you can get them for half price or better at times. Especially if you are not picky on the colors.

Last two pairs I got for under $50 and won't even need the last one for another couple years.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
Luggage:

Tumi Ballistic - I have a Tumi ballistic expandable duffel bag that is over 20 years old.  It will last the rest of my life (as long as the airlines do not lose it).

ShortStuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earnest loan refinance
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »
We bought leather couches (from Bob's discount furniture) that we expect to last a long time as they don't absorb stains, spills, etc. 

Love a carbon steel pan we bought a couple years ago.  Carbon steel is a bit lighter than cast iron, and will last for life as well.  We were so tired of the non-stick pans getting scraped up.  Our carbon steel pan makes great scrambled eggs and takes any abuse thrown at it. 

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: March 25, 2016, 07:11:07 AM »
Found this great article on a capsule wardrobe.  http://www.wisebread.com/can-a-capsule-wardrobe-actually-save-you-money

The only thing I don't agree with is the monthly budget set for quality clothes.  Right now I'm on a spending fast, so not buying anything and "shopping" my own closet.  But I'm sure that many of you awesome mustachians could think of ways to purchase high quality clothes for under $125 per month.  In the past I've done quite well shopping close-out sale racks at my favorite quality clothing store.  Even my more spendy self (prior to the spending fast) didn't spend over $80 a month on clothes. And that was an indulgent level of spending that I don't intend to return to.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
We bought leather couches (from Bob's discount furniture) that we expect to last a long time as they don't absorb stains, spills, etc. 
Remember to periodically treat the leather with a good leather conditioner.  Of course this will darken the leather, but if it is dark to begin with you won't notice.  The best is a 50-50 mixture of lanolin (from pharmacy) and neatsfoot oil (shoe store or maybe Walmart).  Heat the two together in a microwave to get them fully liquid, and wipe it on.  This is the mixture used by the Library of Congress for their leather-bound books.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #295 on: November 29, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
Just received an emailing Le Creuset pot for my birthday from my Mom. (fortunately I know a place in the city where you can get them for 50% off), pot for life!

Care to share?

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #296 on: November 29, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »
These are the things I own that have never given up even though I have a history of moving frequently.

Travelpro roller bag (from Goodwill)
wool sweaters knit by my mom
legos
patagonia fleece jacket
MSR snowshoes
army fatigues from an army surplus store (these are my yard work pants)
bread pans (William Sonoma gold pan)
Chacos
Campers sneakers
Big agnes tent
a good atlas (ok, so this one you'll need to update every 10 years or so, but I categorize it as a buy for life because I mark where I've been and it's become a sort of journal which stays with me in my car)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »
This is the logic I apply to pretty much everything I buy.  Depending on the price, I can spend weeks researching the 'best' item in that category.

I shop solely using slickdeals.net or camelcamelcamel.com and wait for a huge sale.
Usually a deal for 60-70%+ comes around every few years. I just set up alerts on slickdeals and wait!

Some of my 'lifer' consumer goods:

AllClad Pots + Pans
Thermoworks Thermapen Thermometer
Global Knives (G-2, G-12, GSF-46, GS-3, GS-14,G-46, GKS-210,G-9, G-56)
Boos Cutting Blocks (End Grain Maple!)
Staub Enameled Cast Iron Cookware - Cocottte
KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer
Omega 8006 Juicer
iRobot Roomba 560 (brings multitasking to a new level!)
Tempurpedic Pillows (pillow still good after 8 years!)
ExOfficio Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief
Trek (7.3FX) Bicycle
Maxpedition Backpacks (Stika Gearslinger)
LL Bean Down Sleeping Bags
Eneloop rechargeable batteries
Craftsman Tools (older models, Made in USA)
Hotel Collection Down Comforter (from Macys)

Thanks for the post Bryan.  Since you've posted, I've purchased many of the things that you've recommended and signed up for camelcamelcamel.  I recently signed up for slickdeals but I find their constant emailing to be annoying.
What I have found to be extremely high quality and BIFL so far include:
-Bialetti Moka (I may amend this later, I can see it lasting forever but I don't see my tolerance for the type of coffee produced lasting forever)
-Darn tough socks
-Vitamix (in the mail, so cannot yet comment on how durable and high quality it is)
-Kitchenaid mixer
-Lodge cast iron, I find to be overrated.  Yes, it'll last forever, but it is iron formed into the shape of a pan.  It's incredibly heavy and hard to maneuver.  It may be good for car camping but not getting out there.  I suppose I can still use it on the grill but i've transitioned to
-All-clad pans: light and should last forever
-Global knives
-Pendleton couch throw blankets: cashmere/linen/wool blend
-Filson: i purchased one online through amazon.  Surprisingly a little too unstylish for my taste, I purchased the Mackinaw and it looks like a big garbage bag draped over the frame.
-Sangean waterproof radios
-Duralex glasses
-edit: Adding Briggs & Riley, got a hard-case roller

Someone commented 'Not BIFL-> any apple product.'  I get what they were trying to say, buuuut I enjoy my apple products and I don't find the windows or non-apple equivalent to last any longer.

Simplify, right?  Getting rid of as much junk as I can and replacing the 'necessities' with quality stuff that hopefully I won't have to think about.  But the amount of kids' toys... I don't see a way around it as of yet.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:16:06 AM by Icecreamarsenal »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: December 02, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
Just received an emailing Le Creuset pot for my birthday from my Mom. (fortunately I know a place in the city where you can get them for 50% off), pot for life!

Care to share?

TJMaxx possibly.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
I completely agree with the cast iron, Vitamix, Patagonia, Wusthof knives, and 1980s KitchenAid mixers (thanks, Mom, for that last one!).

Thank you, everyone who mentioned Darn Tough socks! My fiance and I have been complaining that our beloved SmartWools are getting holes, so we'll be trying Darn Tough soon. Also makes a good stocking stuffer for my impossible-to-shop-for dad.

My additions:

Dansko or Sanita clogs for those who stand a lot at work. If I remember correctly, Sanita used to make Dansko's clogs for them, to be sold under the Dansko name, and then they split and now Dansko makes their own. Both are very high quality. I've had mine for years and years, and they just don't die. They're easy to find online at less than their $120 full price.

Mason jars are useful for just about everything, and as long as you don't drop them, they'll last forever. I realize I'm stating the obvious, but I use them for so many things!

Land's End products are unconditionally guaranteed, and although I don't love all of their clothing styles, I did outfit my bed years ago with one of their down comforters and a feather pillow top for the mattress, and they have held up quite well, even with my dog digging her "nest" sometimes. “If you’re not satisfied with any item‚ simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price.”

And finally, my parents sent me off to college (1997) with a handful of these knives https://www.flickr.com/photos/cogdog/6313543106, which were apparently given away at gas stations in the early '70s when you bought a full tank. I still have 2-3 of these, and they are still awesome! (Does anyone else still have these? Surely someone must. I've never seen any but my own and the ones in the photo linked above.)