Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300121 times)

Justaerin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Buy It For Life!
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »
So over on Reddit there's a subforum called "Buy It For Life" that includes items found (or requests for items) that for the rest of your days you'll only need to buy one of, or at least for some vast amount of time.  Different rules apply for immortals, obviously.  Unfortunately this little subforum doesn't get much traffic, but I think it'd be far more popular here.

So, say you need X power tool.  You've done a ton of research as a mustachian, asking friends, checking reviews, looking at prices.  You've decided on the "DeWalt Warhammer BFH1000" to suit your needs based on the results of all of your research, despite the fact that it may cost twice as much as the other options, it can be reasonably expected to perform well for 25-30 years.  May or may not have been used on CL :) It is then labelled as "BIFL" and shared with your fellow mustaches.  Right here!

And if you have a request, throw it out there too!  Work boots, camping gear, tools, appliances, whatever.  I, unfortunately, can't think of anything to start off with :\

ETA: This is an old thread that could definitely do with some cleanup and arrangement.  User "godin1" created this website: http://LastMeALifetime.com/ If anyone had a desire to spreadsheet all this stuff in a shareable google doc, I'd be happy to post up here at the top as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:43:49 PM by Justaerin »

rosarugosa

• Bristles
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
Duralex glasses.  We got a set when we got married 27 years ago.  They are touted as being virtually unbreakable, and this is a perfect description.  I believe we've replaced 2 of the 18 glasses in that time, and no other glasses have gone the distance with us.  They are clear drinking glasses, but can also be used in the freezer or for hot tea.  They are probably microwave friendly, but I'm not sure since we don't have a microwave.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
Bikes:
Steel framed touring bike (Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Kona Sutra, Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 100s others). Parts will wear out over time, but all are easily replaceable. Short of being hit by a truck or bear, the frame will out last you (if you are still on it when either of those potential events occur, it will probably survive better than you).  Touring frames made in the 70s are still seeing service hauling people and gear across the globe. Good luck finding one on CL though, because they last so long almost no one ever sells one (after waiting six months for one to show up on my local CL, I jsut bought new).

Camera:
Manual Focus Lenses (Lieca, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sigma, etc). No motors to wear. Put a UV filter up front to protect the glass, and keep it out of the dust and rain (unless you buy a weather sealed model, in which case just put the filter on and forget). My favourite lens is as old as I am, and the one I use for shooting sports is 6 years older than I am.

Justaerin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
Awesome suggestions, thanks!  This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. 

Justaerin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
I would also mention anything from REI or Altrec.  The prices on Altrec are a bit better.  Both of these places offer lifetime replacement or returns, which is pretty incredible.  I've seen some ridiculous things returned after years of hard use.

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
My Grado headphones (SR225's, but applies to virtually all of them).

I enjoyed audiophile sound from them for the past 8 years until they fell off my table and the left driver was punctured.

Grado repaired them with two new drivers, a new cord and earpads for 35$ plus shipping; original cost was 150$.

The only problem is that now I won't be upgrading for at least another 8 years...

moneymohawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
I hadn't bought a backpack since high school, surviving on a stream of hand me downs, despite the fact that I've carried my stuff to work in one every day for the past 8 years.

When the last inherited backpack bit the dust, I couldn't find a good replacement through friends, family, Goodwill, or Craigslist. Stuck with the idea of buying new, I figured I'd get the cheapest bag I could find, until my fiancee convinced me to buy a decent backpack from LL Beans.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62115?feat=816-CL1

Bean's lifetime guarantee pretty much equals BIFL for me.  I've excercised it on other purchases, and it's actually that good.

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 02:38:14 AM »
I just bought a couple of bicycle inner tubes from Walmart made by Bell called "no-mor flats". It is a solid inner tube that is a little bit difficult to get on the bike in the first place, but once it's on it should be the last tube you will ever buy. I got the 26" one. I first tried it with a 26X1.75 tire but was unsuccesful in putting it all together. I got a 26X1.95 and it went together very easily. Now my bike is all back together and after I give it a try I will report back with my results. :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
For those of us that walk through the soles of shoes on a regular basis, my Sperry's (with the original bottom) are going on four years with minimal wear.   For someone who can destroy a pair of sandals in a summer, that's a miracle.   

This thread is headed towards man-land, but reusable feminine products are BIFL.  The ladytime thread covered a few. 

@Matt K: CL steel frames are a regional thing, my area always has some on there. 

TwoPupsOnACouch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
I swear by chacos, which are attractive sandals made for outdoor life.  They are re-soleable and re-strappable.  I usually go through two pairs of sandals (reebok or easyspirit) per season.  Now, my chacos are well into 2 years of use and still going strong.  I use them for everything, daily walking around, hiking, kayaking, even as a water shoe in my water areobics class.  It takes forever to even break these in, but they sort of begin to mold to your foot and become exceptionally comfortable with wear.  Love my chacos!

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »
I just bought a couple of bicycle inner tubes from Walmart made by Bell called "no-mor flats". It is a solid inner tube that is a little bit difficult to get on the bike in the first place, but once it's on it should be the last tube you will ever buy. I got the 26" one. I first tried it with a 26X1.75 tire but was unsuccesful in putting it all together. I got a 26X1.95 and it went together very easily. Now my bike is all back together and after I give it a try I will report back with my results. :)

Inner tubes are wear items. Repeated heat cycles, impacts, and general wear against the inside of your tire means they will wear out sooner or later. I'm sure an experienced long distance touring rider could chime in and give you an approximate life span. In my commuting duties, I get a year or two (1500 - 3000kms for me) out of my 700cc tubes. I don't think we can call any inner tube a buy-for-life any more than we could call a brake pad buy for life (actually, I think "Buy For Life" is wondeful way to describe brake pads and inner tubes, just with a different meaning than the original post ;) )

I'm fairly certain Bell doesn't make thier own tubes. Most bell products (except their helmets) are simply rebranded something else. Kenda, Michelin, Continential, and a number of other major tire manufacturers all make fantastic tubes at very reasonable prices. Kenda sells their tubes under a lot of other names. There's a good chance that those tubes are Kendas.

Butyl tubes last longer than cheap tubes. I'm not sure how much of that is due to stronger rubber or just that they leak less air (all tubes & tires leak some). Keeping the correct inflation will do more to prolong the life of your tube than anything else.

Avoid tubes advertised as either light weight or racing and you should have a long lasting tube. I'm not sure if the "touring" specific tubes are actually any better than regular butyl tubes. I'm also not sure how much there is to the 'puncture resistant' tubes, but most the tubes I buy have that slogan written on them anyways...

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
An old, all-metal sewing machine. I have an old Kenmore that someone gave us. I've seen them at thrift stores.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
Cast-iron cookware. Some of my pans are older than me (found at flea markets, thrift stores, etc.), and all of them will outlast me with proper care. For stuff I find used, I scrub the hell out of the exterior with Bar Keeper's Friend and the interior with Bon Ami and then re-season in the oven with oil.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »
An old, all-metal sewing machine. I have an old Kenmore that someone gave us. I've seen them at thrift stores.

Is it stupid to buy an old Singer like this one? At a better price, obviously, but these are on the market pretty regularly, and I've heard that they're quite good.

Do I need extra features?

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
I can't speak to the quality of that specific model. But the need for extra features is going to depend on what you want to do with it. It looks like a pretty basic model with 1 stitch type and probably has forward and reverse (looks similar to a 1970's sewing machine my mother gave me). If you are doing just some basic sewing it would be fine.

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Inner tubes are wear items. Repeated heat cycles, impacts, and general wear against the inside of your tire means they will wear out sooner or later. I'm sure an experienced long distance touring rider could chime in and give you an approximate life span. In my commuting duties, I get a year or two (1500 - 3000kms for me) out of my 700cc tubes. I don't think we can call any inner tube a buy-for-life any more than we could call a brake pad buy for life (actually, I think "Buy For Life" is wondeful way to describe brake pads and inner tubes, just with a different meaning than the original post ;) )

I'm fairly certain Bell doesn't make thier own tubes. Most bell products (except their helmets) are simply rebranded something else. Kenda, Michelin, Continential, and a number of other major tire manufacturers all make fantastic tubes at very reasonable prices. Kenda sells their tubes under a lot of other names. There's a good chance that those tubes are Kendas.

Butyl tubes last longer than cheap tubes. I'm not sure how much of that is due to stronger rubber or just that they leak less air (all tubes & tires leak some). Keeping the correct inflation will do more to prolong the life of your tube than anything else.

Avoid tubes advertised as either light weight or racing and you should have a long lasting tube. I'm not sure if the "touring" specific tubes are actually any better than regular butyl tubes. I'm also not sure how much there is to the 'puncture resistant' tubes, but most the tubes I buy have that slogan written on them anyways...

Actually I think you misunderstood what kind of a bike inner tube I was talking about. Sorry I didn't give more specific details. It's not a regular bike inner tube with a valve stem that you pump up. It is a solid tube that comes in the same size it will always be. II stumbled across these. I didn't need to buy  pump or patch kit because this inner tube deems them irrelevant. Here is a link to an instructable with better details on why these truly are a buy one for life product: http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-tip-4-Installing-No-Mor-Flats-on-your-Bic/

As far as the follow up review that I promised, they work great! The one problem that I had was that I didn't take the time to figure out how to separate the brake pads that the wheel could go in properly. Instead I forced it in between the brakes and messed them up so that until I fixed it yesterday I had been riding with a ton of resistance from the brake pad constantly against the tire. So don't do that. :) Other than my own negligence to think it through properly, I think it was a wise purchase that I don't regret making.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »
You're right, I definitely misunderstood. I've never seen those. I'm very curious how comfortable it is over rough roads.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
Buy it for Life. LL Bean
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
I Second the LLBean backpack rec.  My husband and I bought monogrammed LL Bean backpacks more than 15 years ago when we were in grad school.  Back then, we had very few color choices.  Mine is black, his navy blue.  I abused mine terribly through 3 years of law school with gigantic, heavy books (this was in the dark ages when on-line legal research was in its' infancy & textbooks were our only option for classes) and it served me well.

I have used that backpack for many others things since then, too.  It still looks good & shows very little wear & tear.  Finding something so durable is rare & very gratifying in our throw-away culture.  I anticipate several more decades of use from this backpack! 

One of my daughters (grade school age) has a Bean school backpack & lunchbox.  This is her second year carrying it.  It is sturdy and high quality, although I'm not sure it is quite up to the standard of quality found in my vintage pack.

I also bought a set of Bean luggage (after traveling extensively for years with a combo of a large Jansport travel packback & a garage sale floral set of luggage without wheels).  The cost of the new luggage gave me cold sweats, but I bought it before my family took an extended trip to New Zealand.   I finally took the purchasing plunge at the urging of my fairly thrifty, but not even close to Mustachian, husband.  I have been very impressed with the quality of the luggage, although it is less than 2 years old at this point.  I like the monogramming and take some comfort in Bean's reputation for replacing items that don't stand up to wear & tear.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
KitchenAid bowl mixers- I just inherited one from grandma. I hope to pass it to my grand kids. ;o) Built in the 80's

CuisineArt food processor- Find an old one from the 80's made in Japan. I bought mine used for $150 with a full array of accessories. I use it several times a week and it shows no signs of slowing. Built in 1983.

The legend on these items came from the model they produced in the 80's. It was a sweet spot in technology where high quality mattered more then planned obsolescence. These were designed to (...and fully live up to the expectation) live FOREVER. :)

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
The legend on these items came from the model they produced in the 80's. It was a sweet spot in technology where high quality mattered more then planned obsolescence. These were designed to (...and fully live up to the expectation) live FOREVER. :)

I have found this to be true of appliances we've owned as well. Bonus: since they "look" outdated and don't come in fancy-pants new colors, you can get them wicked cheap - despite the fact that they will probably outlast many new ones on the shelves today!

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
Maybe this sounds weird, but t-shirts from Europe. I imagine all clothes from Europe, though i can't afford more than t-shirts. :) They're just so superiour!!! Thick fabric and different stitching that lays flat and holds it shape over time.

I bought a couple when i was over there in 2002 and still where today. Not like some raggity 10 year old raggity mall t that only gets slept in at this point. Neck still tight. hem still straight. little faded.

My step mother says the same is true for pantyhoes from England. She was baffled when she came to the states to learn that the crap we have it lucky to last a night. The ones bought in Europes lasted years!

Before you get all "that's over the pond" at me, they sell these things on amazon.uk.co.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:02 AM »
I treasure my 10 year old Kitchenaide stand mixer.  It's awesome and makes so much of my cooking and baking easier and more pleasurable.  I think I will have it for another 20 years. 

My Cuisinart blender, (about 6 yrs old), on the other hand, stinks.  It's cracked at the base.  I have researched blenders, trying to find a good value, high quality replacement. Consumer Reports recommends a Kitcheaide at about $100.  I've got an itch for a Vita-Mix, but those suckers are $500.  Just can't justify that expense. 

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
  I've got an itch for a Vita-Mix, but those suckers are $500.  Just can't justify that expense.

Vitamix is worth it and easy can usually be found used for around $300.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 11:58:20 PM »
I've looked on CL & in my area have not seen a Vitamix.  I will keep looking and if I find a fairly new one for $300 or less will probably buy it.  Thanks

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »
I wouldn't say "Buy it for life", but Vivobarefoot shoes (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/) are minimalistic shoes that are made with a "puncture-proof" sole, which still looks BRAND NEW after 3 years of use. There is literally no wear on the bottom of these shoes. 

I own a pair of "dressier" ones for the office, and 2 pair of "casual" shoes... they're all holding up great after 2+ years of use, when previously I would have a pair of newbalance shoes for less than a year before the sole was a wreck.

Vivobarefoot is fairly expensive at first glance, but they very often have 30-50% off coupon codes go out in their email newsletter.

Guitarguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »
I wouldn't say "Buy it for life", but Vivobarefoot shoes (http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/) are minimalistic shoes that are made with a "puncture-proof" sole, which still looks BRAND NEW after 3 years of use. There is literally no wear on the bottom of these shoes. 

I own a pair of "dressier" ones for the office, and 2 pair of "casual" shoes... they're all holding up great after 2+ years of use, when previously I would have a pair of newbalance shoes for less than a year before the sole was a wreck.

Vivobarefoot is fairly expensive at first glance, but they very often have 30-50% off coupon codes go out in their email newsletter.

I have to second this review, although I've only owned the running shoes that they make. I have burned through a pair of similarly priced Newton shoes during track and cross country, but I've had these shoes since last december and they still have no sign of wear. I wear them practically every single day.

BONUSES:
They give you the barefoot feel, which is great for rebuilding those long-lost muscles on the soles of your feet.
Easily to wash and dry.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »

I have to second this review, although I've only owned the running shoes that they make. I have burned through a pair of similarly priced Newton shoes during track and cross country, but I've had these shoes since last december and they still have no sign of wear. I wear them practically every single day.

BONUSES:
They give you the barefoot feel, which is great for rebuilding those long-lost muscles on the soles of your feet.
Easily to wash and dry.

I'll add another vote to vivo barefoots. I have had 2 pairs. The first pair was suede Oaks. After 3 years of not always cleaning them how I should they don't look great. But are still solid structurally. They just have some salt stains. Now I have a pair of Dharma's that are easy to clean with just a paper towel and I have had them for over a year. Still look as good as the day I got them. I freaked at the cost at first. I had never dreamed of spending so much money for a pair of shoes. But so worth it. Just a little TLC and you should be able to get a ton of use out of these. Also keep an eye out for sales. They don't have them often (maybe once a year?) but when they do you can save up to 25% over retail. That is what I did for my replacement pair. Paid ~$90.

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
This is actually a question. I got a kirby vacuum for free today from an elderly lady who is getting rid of things. It looks like it's much more solid than any modern vacuum I've ever seen, as it is made with metal. Does anybody have enough experience with these to know if they are bifl?

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »
Peugeot pepper grinders- They're quite pricy but I've found them at flea markets and second hand stores in Europe- bought one for my sister for 7 euros and it has a lifetime guarantee. Mine is about ten years old and still grinds as good as the day I bought it!

I also ditto the duralex glasses, my mum still has ones from my childhood and I bought a bunch for my own family and they're only 1.5 euros for an average size glass. 

Our Mountain Buggy pram is also very sturdy and goes through everything. We literally use it everyday, cobblestones, off road, train, escalators (I know you're not supposed to but sometimes the lift is broken) Apparently the pre 2011 made in NZ ones are the best and unbreakable. Buy it on CL and you'll probably get similar to what you paid for once you're done. The emmaljunga prams are the same, my friend has one that has been through four kids and is now on number five with everyday usage. A lot of our friends have them and they are passed around the family-so some of them are from the eighties and still going strong. Not sure if you'd find them on CL in the US but if you live in Europe...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
I hadn't bought a backpack since high school, surviving on a stream of hand me downs, despite the fact that I've carried my stuff to work in one every day for the past 8 years.

When the last inherited backpack bit the dust, I couldn't find a good replacement through friends, family, Goodwill, or Craigslist. Stuck with the idea of buying new, I figured I'd get the cheapest bag I could find, until my fiancee convinced me to buy a decent backpack from LL Beans.

Bean's lifetime guarantee pretty much equals BIFL for me.  I've excercised it on other purchases, and it's actually that good.

It's good, though you need to keep the receipt.  The Bean by me would only give the "final clearance price" for credit on the Bean backpack I brought back, since I did not have the receipt.

NWstubble

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
I would also mention anything from REI or Altrec.  The prices on Altrec are a bit better.  Both of these places offer lifetime replacement or returns, which is pretty incredible.  I've seen some ridiculous things returned after years of hard use.

As someone with a job that "requires" me to be in the field often and as an avid outdoor enthusiast who is a bit of a gear head, I highly recommend backcountry.com for these types of items. Unconditional lifetime returns and prices will beat REI, etc. ~90% of the time. Don't get me wrong, I am a member at REI but only shop their sales or purchase when I have a coupon for 20% off.

A couple brand suggestions:

Patagonia is painful to the pocketbook upfront, but for performance outdoor apparel with a killer warranty you can't beat them. Also, I dig their corporate ideals. Shop sales/second hand for the best savings.

I have been really pleased with La Sportiva hiking boots. Hiking boots are a necessity of my job and I put major miles in. La Spotivas have had little to no break in period and have never failed me in the field. For most weekend warriors their quality boots will last a long long time. I buy them through online retailers like backcountry or campmor.

twa2w

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »
You're right, I definitely misunderstood. I've never seen those. I'm very curious how comfortable it is over rough roads.
When these no-mor-flats bike tires first came out you could buy them with different densities, that equated to different tire pressures - for road bike tires you could buy them in 90PSI, 100 &110 PSI equivelants so you would buy and install the one that fit your riding styleéweight.  They had them for mountain bikes as well.  Some reviews indicate they ride a little spongy so not as efficient as a firmer tire but I assume you could opt for the higher PSI equivelant-if they are still available.  The only drawback I could see, is they are quite a bit heavy than regular tubes so they add weight and rolling resistance if you are concerned about speed and efficiency.
Ideal I think for commuting especially in poorer weather where you don't want to have to fix a flat. 
When your tire wears through, I understand these can be quite a challenge to remove and reinstall with a new tire.
I looked for these in Walmart in Canada but never saw any - so maybe only in the US.
Cheers

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »
I was able to find them on amazon.com as well. That would be really nice to have a choice of psi but I have not seen that available. I haven't personally noticed much of a difference at all as far as rolling resistance goes. I do imagine it would be very difficult to get them off and on to another wheel, but I haven't had to deal with that yet. The best test of these tires was a few months ago when my wife and I rode our bikes (me towing a trailer behind mine) to an auto junkyard for a part for our car. The first place we parked them had goat heads but we didn't realize until it was too late. We probably had at least 20 goat heads in each of the six tires. My bike was just fine, but as soon as we took them out of the other tires they immediately started hissing. After that I got airless tubes for her bike and for the trailer. They're a bit pricey at first, but it eliminates the future cost of inner tubes and gives me great peace of mind. I just re-read your post, twa2w and realized you were referring to replacing the tire, not putting the tube on another wheel. I'll let you know how easy/difficult that is when the time comes to replace the tires. :)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
Does anybody have enough experience with these to know if they are bifl?

Based on my experience with my parents' Kirby I say yes, built for life.  I am a bit of a cleaning freak and put lots of miles on theirs. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »
I treasure my 10 year old Kitchenaide stand mixer.  It's awesome and makes so much of my cooking and baking easier and more pleasurable.  I think I will have it for another 20 years.

My wife still regularly uses her grandmother's 40 year old kitchenaide stand mixer.  It's heavier than the newer ones, but seems to work just as well.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »
Another vote for a Kitchenaide mixer. 

And a Bialetti espresso maker.  I have had mine for 15 years and it is still going strong.  I have replaced the gasket a number of times, but those are quite cheap. 

Now if someone could make a vacuum that lasts, I would buy one.  I seem to burn up a vacuum every 3 years. 

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »
KitchenAid bowl mixers...

CuisineArt food processor...

These are on my list, as are Le Creuset cookware. BIF-multiple-lifetimes. I have several inherited pieces that I can't imagine will ever bite the dust. High quality cookware and utensils are always a better buy than cheaply made. High quality cookware on sale is even better. I did recently replace the heatproof plastic knob on one of my 40-year-old Le Creuset pots because it started to crack. $13 on Amazon.

Maybe that's another way to know if test if something is BIFL: Is it durable? Are replacement parts available if necessary? Can it be fixed cheaply and by yourself?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:41:11 AM by tamara »

kt

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »
great thread! thanks for all the ideas. i hope to be setting up home properly in the near future and definitely want to bifl. no recommendations to add at the moment except lakeland in the uk has what amounts to a lifetime guarantee and a friend of mine says they really will replace anything even after say 20 years.

unplugged

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »
Not sure if this is BIFL but pretty close. My Dyson vacuum is like new and over 7 years old. It comes apart and you wash parts in the sink every so often. There are youtube videos that show you how to maintain it as well.

I wanted to agree with the above items as well:

Chacos (got mine used, like new, at Platos Closet)

LLBean Backpack (got cheap on clearance)

Kitchen Aid Mixer (like new 17 years later, though my black attachment knob did crack and split last year. I never used the knob anyway since the grinder attachment has horrible reviews anyway)

Le Creuset cookware (got free through an old points program that phased out) Though I did NOT like the grill pan, everything stuck to it.

I wish all my purchases were BIFL LOL.
I used to think my old volvo from years back was BIFL. The seats and flooring were almost hard surfaces and I miss how easy it was to clean.
But the wires were biodegradable and it started having endless problems. A utilitarian Honda would be my dream. Velour seats and carpet matts are not easy to keep nice after years and years of gentle use even.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:54:37 AM by unplugged »

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
Velour seats and carpet matts are not easy to keep nice after years and years of gentle use even.

All-season cut floor mats. Basically big rubber inserts that are pre-cut to the shape of your car's floor. you cna buy a set at the dealership for $100, or get them for less at places like walmart (they may or may not be as good a fit). With all the snow & salt on our roads, not using one is asking for a rusted through floor in a matter of years. With one, your carpets will last for a very very long time. Because it is heavy rubber, you just pull it out a few times a year clean it off and put it back when dry, good as new.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »
In the cookware department: Cast Iron. Cheap, non-stick, even heat, and will last forever. We have a frying pan inherited from my wife's grandmother that is at least 40+ yrs old, if not double that, and we use it nearly every day.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 07:02:56 AM »
I'll second (third?) the cast iron and add that the old stuff is better than the new, which is still pretty good. My daily use fry pan was my grandmother's and is at least 80 years old. The newer Lodge is made differently and doesn't have quite as smooth a surface, but it seems to season okay and smooths out with a few years of use, anyway.

Doc Martens are not quite BFL, but I have a 20-year-old pair of Air Wears in great condition.
Danskos seem to be holding up well, too.

Old hand tools if you don't mind working by hand. My grandfather's planer is in use now, and it's no newer than 50 years, maybe much more.

Vehicles don't last for a lifetime, but there's a 30-year-old Toyota in my driveway that seems determined to try.

Furniture made of real wood, though I lean toward "make it for life" in that case.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »

I'd offer the same for Jansports.  They can often be found in thrift stores, and they will honor the lifetime warranty almost without question.  So, you can buy at a thrift store and get a new one.  You probably have to pay shipping though?

CptPoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I play music and stuff
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
I recently purchased some Red Wing work boots with the hope that I will get at least 10 good years out of them. I tend to wear down the heel on most shoes within 1.5 years of use, and these boots are much easier to repair, so I am planning on replacing the outsole as needed. I have had them about 2 months now and they still get more and more comfortable each time I wear them. I have always had problems walking longer distances in my flat bottomed shoes, but I can walk miles in these without getting fatigued.

BONUSES:
Easily to wash and dry.

I want to buy some more minimalist shoes for warmer weather. Do you guys have any idea what it would be like switching between boots with a ton of arch support, and shoes with none depending on the weather? I would like to try something like those barefoot shoes out, but it seems to me that constantly switching back and forth wouldn't allow you to adjust properly to either type of foot support.

I was also looking at Vibram shoes because I have heard that their out-soles are incredibly durable. Does anyone have experience switching back and forth between these kinds of shoes?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »
I recently purchased some Red Wing work boots with the hope that I will get at least 10 good years out of them. I tend to wear down the heel on most shoes within 1.5 years of use, and these boots are much easier to repair, so I am planning on replacing the outsole as needed. I have had them about 2 months now and they still get more and more comfortable each time I wear them. I have always had problems walking longer distances in my flat bottomed shoes, but I can walk miles in these without getting fatigued.

My father spent four decades in the construction industry, and never had anything but Redwings on his feet during work hours. He had two matching pairs of basic, medium height work boots. He would take them off as he was walking in the door, at the end of the day. They would go on the shelf, and he would wear the other pair the next day. This gave them time to dry and air out. They were oiled religiously, and once they started to wear out, the worst pair was sent back to Redwing for a rebuild. When the sales guy at the local Redwing store pronounced that a pair were beyond salvation, he would buy another matching pair. This isn't a cheap way to go in the least, they are probably 5-8X as expensive as similar looking Wal-mart boots. However, when it comes to "cost per mile" I doubt there is a better way to spend your money.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
I'm with you on the Red Wing work boots.  My Dad has been a mechanic for 30+ years, and with the Red Wings, he's worn the soles off a few times, before the boots have needed replacing. 

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
Now if someone could make a vacuum that lasts, I would buy one.  I seem to burn up a vacuum every 3 years.

Our Oreck is 8 years old and going strong.  Unlike throw away vacs, you take it in for a new belt and tune-up every few years.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
I want to buy some more minimalist shoes for warmer weather. Do you guys have any idea what it would be like switching between boots with a ton of arch support, and shoes with none depending on the weather? I would like to try something like those barefoot shoes out, but it seems to me that constantly switching back and forth wouldn't allow you to adjust properly to either type of foot support.
Not exactly minimalist, but I wear boat shoes without socks in the summer. Can be turned into yard/mechanic work shoes once past their prime.

Other BIFL item: Victorinox swiss army knives. Other brands might work just fine, I just realized mine was a gift from over 15 years ago. Still pristine, with zero maintenance aside from cleaning it after use.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
Other BIFL item: Victorinox swiss army knives. Other brands might work just fine, I just realized mine was a gift from over 15 years ago. Still pristine, with zero maintenance aside from cleaning it after use.

I was given a Victorinox Swiss Army knife as a teenager... never really used it. Now when I got myself a Leatherman Fuse nearly a decade ago, that was a different story. Well designed multi-tools are lovely little things, and I never leave home without it, a Gerber box cutter and a Mini Maglite strapped to my belt. Definitely BIFL tool investments for field techs.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
Ooooh, MagLites are definitely worthy of this list too. Really practical when operating in tight corners, you can just, ermm, stick it in your mouth and have both hands free. I leave the king-size model in my glove box, it doubles as a "leave-me-alone" stick should I become stranded in a questionable neighborhood.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!