Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 192104 times)

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #400 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
Agreed on the All Clad - that stuff is tough and also does it's job exceptionally well.

I agree that AllClad makes great stuff, but it's overpriced.

Part of what makes them great is that they are tri-ply sandwiched construction, instead of aluminum.  That gives them excellent heat distribution, and then the lids fit nice and tight and the handles are attached properly.  They're quality pots and pans.

America's test kitchen, however, has reviewed a handful of other brands that share all of those features and cost half as much.  They measure the temperatures in various parts of the pans.  They wack them on countertops until they break.  They say that when you buy All Clad what you're mostly paying for is name recognition.  If you just want quality cooking utensils at reasonable prices, other people are making pots and pans that are just as good, and selling them at Walmart of all places.

Some folks still want the brand name stuff, and that's fine too if you have money to burn and want to support a particular company.  Just don't pretend you're getting your money's worth in terms of the actual product.

Agreed!  That is totally true nowadays.  But 23 years ago, back when I started buying pots/pans (well, really asking for them as birthday/Christmas presents, mostly), that was NOT true.  Back then, All Clad really was better than the competition.  I think recently other companies have upped their game and that's great.  If I was starting today I'd totally go with a cheaper alternative.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »
I got a set of these WMF Profi cooking utensils as a wedding gift, and 12 years later they are still in perfect condition and just about my favorite things to use in my kitchen.

Our original set was 10 pieces, I gave away all the "grater" type pieces in favor of Microplanes or just cheaper sharper plastic ones, but the ladle, the flipper, the bottle opener, the whisks are all beloved and oft-used.

Now that we are a little more established I am slowly adding pieces to our collection. I am a regular thrifter but have never seen them used here in the States, probably because they are manufactured in Germany and aren't retailed through outlets like Macy's or what have you.

https://www.wmf.com/en/collection-profi-plus.html

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
- Specialized bike helmet that is ~25 years old and still fine

It is my understanding that bike helmets have a working life of ~5 years; sweat, sun and getting banged around take there toll.  You may want to look into a replacement - new ones would be a lot lighter too.

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

It is my understanding that bike helmets have a working life of ~5 years; sweat, sun and getting banged around take there toll.  You may want to look into a replacement - new ones would be a lot lighter too.

yeah, its about 3 years when the foam starts to degrade, and is no longer protective if there is a collision with the ground. We only get 1 brain! Definitely worth buying a new helmet every 3 years (or any time you hit your head on the ground while wearing it). So many companies are making good, affordable helmets these days. $50-$60 every couple of years is nothing to pay to keep your head safe.

kenaces

• Stubble
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

Thanks

I just purchased a new helmet last week shortly after making my post, as guy at bike shop told me same thing you guys are saying :)

So I now have even fewer BIFL items.

yeah, its about 3 years when the foam starts to degrade, and is no longer protective if there is a collision with the ground. We only get 1 brain! Definitely worth buying a new helmet every 3 years (or any time you hit your head on the ground while wearing it). So many companies are making good, affordable helmets these days. $50-$60 every couple of years is nothing to pay to keep your head safe.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2018, 03:49:42 AM »
Some might find this to be over the top, but I got a Big Green Egg 9 years ago for my birthday from my entire family. Best thing ever. Lifetime warranty/guaranty. The customer service has been exceptional. I live in WI. and cook on it 4x per week all year long and it stays exposed to the elements and I've not had any issues.

I live in WI as well and my friend bought one of the imitation brands. His is orange. Not sure of brand name but he uses it religiously and has had for a few years now and has had no issues as well but saved quite a bit. My guess in helping him assemble it years ago its one of those things if its not built right is not going to work right.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: April 15, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
This is my kind of thread! PTF