Author Topic: Buy It For Life!  (Read 300133 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: Buy It For Life!
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
For me the BIL products that have really stood up to time are the Allen Edmonds made in America shoes, partly because they can be completely re-crafted by AE.  I used to chew through shoes from other companies at a very fast clip, but the AE's I've had have held up for years.

Next would be the Saddleback leather goods - all leather and build to use as few a seams and/or weak points as possible.  Great stuff, but pricey. 

For an alternative, less expensive and a few more seams, but still very tough and made in America I would recommend Copper River bags.  I love their modular approach to bags.  I have a laptop bag.  But it's a laptop bag only because the insert I bought for it is oriented from side to side so that a laptop will fit.  But you can convert it to a camera bag by getting a different insert.  The laptop insert just pulls right out, and the camera insert slides in to replace it.  Or, if you want to use it as an overnight bag, just remove the inserts completely and bam. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #301 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
I recommend against Saddleback Leather and Copper River bags.  I went through a leather bag phase and purchased both, before mustachianism.  I sold both because they are extremely heavy and not practical for transporting things for the urban environment.  I suppose they could make sense for someone walking 5 feet to their car, driving it however many miles, and then walking 5 feet to their office, but for biking, walking, they are incredibly heavy!
I would say an empty saddleback leather bag is pushing to close to a bulky 10 pounds.  This weighs more than any laptop and combination of papers you can think of.

Same goes for cast iron: very heavy to manipulate!  This doesn't mean that they're bad products, just that they place a premium on being very durable and BIFL by sheer mass and not design, and function is secondary.

Also, having owned many many Wusthof Chef's knives, the Global chef's knife is a revelation.  Incredibly sharp, maintenance free, and light.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
Agreed on the Saddleback - it's pretty darn heavy.  I only have the duffle bag that I keep in my car with emergency cold/snow clothes in it.  We live in CO, so that's a thing :)  I find the Copper River bags much, much lighter, probably because they are unlined and just less bulky over all.  I'm just curious, what did you replace your bags with? 

I had Global knives for a while and they are quite awesome.  I use Shun knives now, but honestly they are overkill. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
*snip*
Same goes for cast iron: very heavy to manipulate!  This doesn't mean that they're bad products, just that they place a premium on being very durable and BIFL by sheer mass and not design, and function is secondary.
*snip*

I have to ask:  Which cast iron did you use?
I have an old pan by Wagner.  It is both smoother and LIGHTER than new pans by modern makers such as Lodge. 
My Wagner #8 pan (8 7/8 inches) is around 3 1/4 pounds per my little kitchen scale.  Per Lodge, a Lodge pan of 9 inches weighs 4.67 pounds.  So, the Lodge pan is more than 40% heavier.

But the pan doesn't travel much.  :)  And thanks for the recommendations of Global knives!

zazpowered

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Where should you invest your money?
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »
I know this probably won't get a lot of support in a forum about saving money but my only Buy it for life item would be my Rolex GMT Master II BLNR. I'll probably wear it for the rest of my life and pass it on to my kids

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »
I know this probably won't get a lot of support in a forum about saving money but my only Buy it for life item would be my Rolex GMT Master II BLNR. I'll probably wear it for the rest of my life and pass it on to my kids

Plus, you know, everyone gets to see you wear a Rolex.  But hey I am not one to cast stones - I wear a Panerai and $400 shoes.  :P

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: December 10, 2016, 06:30:29 PM »
Vitamix - Bought for $399 USD (a deal) after my cheap blender died.

This is one of those items I don't understand.  Why does this exist?

I buy blenders at goodwill for about $8 each.  They usually last me two or three years, though my current one is more like five years old.  Sometimes the motors burn out making smoothies.  Sometimes I break the glass pitcher. 

But when the time comes, there is always another one at goodwill for $8. I doubt I will buy 50 of them in my lifetime, to offset the cost of buying a Vitamix.  Plus, I would be terrified of breaking such an expensive appliance.  My current blender is a cheap and effective tool, but I have no emotional attachment to it.  It doesn't own me, and I prefer it that way.

zazpowered

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Where should you invest your money?
« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »

Plus, you know, everyone gets to see you wear a Rolex.  But hey I am not one to cast stones - I wear a Panerai and $400 shoes.  :P

lol. I really like Panerai probably going to be my next watch.

vojta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2016, 06:25:43 AM »
I love Skeppshult frying pan made from cast iron. After first three months of usage it become non-stick like any modern teflon frying pan.

I chosen cast iron over teflon (or ceramic) because it has unlimited lifetime and is heavily used in professional kitchens.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2016, 07:34:22 AM »

I buy blenders at goodwill for about $8 each.  They usually last me two or three years, though my current one is more like five years old.  Sometimes the motors burn out making smoothies.  Sometimes I break the glass pitcher. 

But when the time comes, there is always another one at goodwill for $8. I doubt I will buy 50 of them in my lifetime, to offset the cost of buying a Vitamix.  Plus, I would be terrified of breaking such an expensive appliance.  My current blender is a cheap and effective tool, but I have no emotional attachment to it.  It doesn't own me, and I prefer it that way.

So there are probably 4-5 other threads here on vitamix specifically.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll only respond once.  Vitamix is essentially a commercial brand.  The thing runs at 11.5 amps! It's a blender used at coffee shops, smoothie places, restaurants, etc.  If you want to buy high durability and performance in a blender, this is what you get. This is why it exists. 

I can't speak for BIFL, since I have only had one for 4 years.  But I won't go back to cheap blenders again. It's a high use item in the kitchen.  I want consistent blending of difficult items, I don't want it to fail or bind mid cooking, and I don't want to get a blender every year. 

I would not recommend these for everyone and your 8$ blender may very well do what you need it to do.

As for actual BIFL products, most have been said.  From what I actually use that have been handed down from past generations and would truly be BIFL:

Wagner cast iron
Hand made goose down pillows
Hilti corded hammer drill
Stanley hand planers
Solid maple rolling pin
Solid wood furniture
Hand saw (not sure of brand, it has rubbed off the blade over the last 90 years)
Singer sewing machine from the 30's

I'm sure there are more items that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »

lol. I really like Panerai probably going to be my next watch.

But I thought you were wearing the Rolex for the rest of your life? 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »
Agreed on the Saddleback - it's pretty darn heavy.  I only have the duffle bag that I keep in my car with emergency cold/snow clothes in it.  We live in CO, so that's a thing :)  I find the Copper River bags much, much lighter, probably because they are unlined and just less bulky over all.  I'm just curious, what did you replace your bags with? 

I had Global knives for a while and they are quite awesome.  I use Shun knives now, but honestly they are overkill.

I replaced my saddlebag with a Filson briefcase, some wool and canvas number.  I'm looking on the website now but I don't see it for sale any longer.  There is some sort of warranty but I purchased based on durability.  I have some sort of weird bag fetish.

I used/still use a Lodge cast iron pan.  They are incredibly heavy, mine may be the 10 inch one.  Even though it may only be 5 pounds, the manipulation at that height is unwieldy and cumbersome.  I do use it still though, but it's a sub-optimal purchase.  It reminds me every time.

Leave it to sol to editorialize a blender purchase.    It works well and better than $8 blenders, it's modular for easy repair, I can afford it, and I won't feel 'terrified' if it breaks.  I have no emotional attachment to it, but I grin sometimes when I see it in the kitchen, knowing I will make a tasty ketchup, hot sauce, butter, or milk, where I know every single ingredient inside.  Feel free to have an holier-than-thou, earthy head-scratch.  MMM might say he doesn't see the benefit of an $8 blender when has a mortar and pestle, which would not only let him better appreciate the flour that he made from wheat, but strengthen his forearm and flexor tendons.

I like the looks of a Panerai watch and I think it might be a good trinket to hand to the next generation, but they're just not durable enough, based on their architecture: huge dome and crown.  I would bang that and the crystal would shatter within a month guaranteed.  I wear a rolex submariner, every day (that I'm not riding a motorcycle: the vibrations screw up the movement) and hope to hand it down one day.  It's sentimental in the worst way, but I'm not a vanderbilt or a Waldorf and have never received any objects or possessions from a previous generation.  I thought it might be nice to start.

I own a professional kitchen and am familiar with the restaurant industry.  I guarantee you cast iron is NOT used in a professional kitchen.  Professional kitchens: everything is light and replaceable.  Maneuverability, even heating, and washing with soap and water is key.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2016, 09:29:24 AM »
Thread seems to have turned into one that may be more appropriately titled: "In which I justify my consumerism."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:31:06 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »
I think some people do a lot more blending than others. I probably pull out the blender once/month.

I did break the glass container a few years ago, and happily, I replaced it at the thrift store. It's just not a high use item for me.

I noticed that at the very beginning of this thread, someone was looking for a glass measuring cup with permanent markings. Pyrex did make those, in the past, and if you really want one, check eBay. I have found a couple in the thrift store, and they are nice. I do a lot of baking and I like stuff to last.

progman2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »
I am a vegan and a whole foods kind of guy. So I go through periods where i exist almost entirely on smoothies. If you eat like that, and have the need to blend a near whole fruit/veggie, an 8 dollar blender will never work. A vitamix has a 3hp motor on it otoh - that thing could blend a dead cat if you needed it too.

But yeah, if you blend soups once a month, then its overkill. For me it has been BIFL.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: December 11, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
Thread seems to have turned into one that may be more appropriately titled: "In which I justify my consumerism."

Yes, I think everyone needs to justify their consumerism. We all have to be consumers, why not make the best choice?

I'd make the argument that purchasing higher quality products rather than consumer or disposable products actually saves money in the long run, especially with tools.  I'd even go so far to say small kitchen appliances are nothing more than tools.

In a mustachian world where every purchase is scrutinized, why wouldn't you purchase the long lasting higher quality item?  If you are concerned about the environment, wouldn't a product that lasts for life be better than purchasing and throwing out low quality items on a yearly or consistent basis? Just think of the production costs and energy used for these items, not to mention the trash created with plastic bags, crappy pans, cheap blenders, or broken tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
an 8 dollar blender will never work. A vitamix has a 3hp motor on it otoh

Since when does a 3hp motor cost $400?

I mean think about this in context.  I understand people like fancy things.  I understand that people like to feel good about the items they use every day.  I even understand that warm feeling of superiority you get knowing that you can pay $400 for a blender, while somewhere in your town a child goes hungry.

But under no circumstances should a single-use mass-produced tabletop appliance cost as much as a month's rent.  Think about the materials it contains. Think about the engineering required to produce it.  Compare them to other items of similar size and complexity.  Why should a blender cost more than a dustbuster or an alternator or a washing machine?

If having a 3hp motor is really important to you because you eat a 100% smoothie diet, then google "3hp blender" and you'll find some for sale for $99.  There, I just saved you $300 for that starving child.  You're both welcome.

Fucking ridiculous.

progman2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #317 on: December 11, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »
Wow

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
In a mustachian world where every purchase is scrutinized, why wouldn't you purchase the long lasting higher quality item? 

That's what I thought this thread was about.  I'm totally on board with minimizing lifetime expense and waste by buying quality items that last.

But there has to be a limit, right?  I wouldn't pay $10,000 today to never have to buy another $20 pair of shoes that will only last a year, but I might spend $200.  I happily pay an extra 50% for name brand outdoor gear that comes with a lifetime warranty, because I always wear out my outdoor gear and then have to replace it and it's more cost effective to pay more up front to have free replacements.  And there's no way in hell I would pay thousands of dollars for a wristwatch.  That's purely jewelry.  My phone tells time, as will any $30 casio.  If you're spending more than that, you're a consumer sucka who has been tricked into buying name brand luxury instead of functionality.

A Vitamix is name brand luxury that costs WAY more than it's functionality should dictate.  Ditto for Dyson vacuums and Rolex watches.  These things are not BIFL in the sense of being long-lasting quality items that are more cost effective than their cheaper counterparts, they are purely overpriced luxury goods that use manipulative marketing tactics to trick you into thinking they are worth more than they really are.  Mustachians should know better.

progman2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
Do mustachians have to be pompous a$$holes too?

[MOD EDIT:  a) No, not as a rule.  b) It's spelt "assholes".  c) we don't call each other names here.]

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:26:35 PM by FrugalToque »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: December 11, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

Oooh, we're going to play the personal insult game?  That sounds like fun, I'll play too! [MOD EDIT: Please don't. Sarcasm is usually rude.]

According to this thread, being a pompous asshole is optional but being a consumer sucka is now mandatory?

Look, it's great that you like fancy blenders.  Spend your money on whatever overpriced bullshit you want, it's your money and you can waste it as you see fit.  But maybe don't come to a forum about frugality and efficiency and claim that a $400 blender is anything other than the singular embodiment of everything that is wrong with America. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:18:03 PM by arebelspy »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2016, 05:58:41 PM »

Heya Progman, I know it hurts, but you're learning a necessary lesson on context and audience. As Sol has pointed out, this is supposed to be a community dedicated to (at least somewhat ethical) frugality. Could he be friendlier in his delivery? Perhaps, but that's what makes Sol, Sol. I personally care about him anyway (as do many others), because behind the rough edges is a fair bit of wisdom. Listen to the wisdom and forgive the rest.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but consider getting to know the community a little more before waving your accomplishments around, as you might learn some valuable things that could genuinely improve your life. Remember, there's always someone smarter than you. Always. Wise men listen to those smarter than themselves.

Honestly, as much of a baptism by fire as you (and others) have so indirectly received in this thread today for getting called out for some rather conspicuous consumption, you've still been fortunate. At least nobody's personally taken you to task yet for your $600+ Samsung Galaxy Note 5 on the Verizon network, one of the most expensive mobile carriers available.

Welcome to the MMM forums. Open your eyes, ears and mind, and learn something new.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:04:19 PM by I.P. Daley »

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #322 on: December 12, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
I am a vegan and a whole foods kind of guy. So I go through periods where i exist almost entirely on smoothies. If you eat like that, and have the need to blend a near whole fruit/veggie, an 8 dollar blender will never work. A vitamix has a 3hp motor on it otoh - that thing could blend a dead cat if you needed it too.

I am laughing at the thought of a vegan choosing this specific example.  :)  I'm not a big blender-user, but I'm glad it works for you.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
And finally, my parents sent me off to college (1997) with a handful of these knives https://www.flickr.com/photos/cogdog/6313543106, which were apparently given away at gas stations in the early '70s when you bought a full tank. I still have 2-3 of these, and they are still awesome! (Does anyone else still have these? Surely someone must. I've never seen any but my own and the ones in the photo linked above.)

I just got rid of a bunch of these by donating them when I moved into my RV this past summer.  We got them when I was a kid in grade school, at least I remember them from that long ago.  Not sure where they came from, but a gas station makes sense.  I'm still using some drinking glasses we got that way about the same time.  I'm 62.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:12:28 PM by shadowmoss »

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #324 on: December 12, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
I received this style of Starbucks tumbler as a gift THREE years ago and it still looks almost new.

Unlike many other travel mugs, the cup and lid are both very easy to clean and don't get anything stuck in it. There is no annoying gasket to fall out or get crud stuck under.

http://store.starbucks.ca/copper-sweater-tumbler-16-fl-oz/011063639,en_CA,pd.html?&srule=Featured&start=0&sz=12&cgid=tumblers-and-travel-mugs

And the cup has accidentally gone through the dishwasher twice, but hasn't sucked in water into the vacuum through the seams. Unintentional submersion has been the death of many travel mugs so far for me.

The one I received had a hexagon pattern in the metal and some of the gold in it has worn away to reveal the silver underneath. That's the only wear showing so far.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #325 on: December 12, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
I've actually only had two blenders in the last 40 years - the first one I bought with green stamps, and it didn't wear out, I dropped it on the tile floor.

So possibly blenders are just not built like they used to be, but I'm not positive that cheap blenders need to be replaced every year, even if you live a blender intensive lifestyle.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: December 12, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
re lodge iron skillet's they do seem well made, I had an oil fire in mine the first day I had it and it cleaned right up with no visible damage.  FYI fire extinguishers make a big mess.  After that night we made a rule that a pan lid must be out when the Lodges are used. 

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: December 12, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
In a mustachian world where every purchase is scrutinized, why wouldn't you purchase the long lasting higher quality item? 

That's what I thought this thread was about.  I'm totally on board with minimizing lifetime expense and waste by buying quality items that last.

But there has to be a limit, right?  I wouldn't pay $10,000 today to never have to buy another $20 pair of shoes that will only last a year, but I might spend $200.  I happily pay an extra 50% for name brand outdoor gear that comes with a lifetime warranty, because I always wear out my outdoor gear and then have to replace it and it's more cost effective to pay more up front to have free replacements.  And there's no way in hell I would pay thousands of dollars for a wristwatch.  That's purely jewelry.  My phone tells time, as will any $30 casio.  If you're spending more than that, you're a consumer sucka who has been tricked into buying name brand luxury instead of functionality.

A Vitamix is name brand luxury that costs WAY more than it's functionality should dictate.  Ditto for Dyson vacuums and Rolex watches.  These things are not BIFL in the sense of being long-lasting quality items that are more cost effective than their cheaper counterparts, they are purely overpriced luxury goods that use manipulative marketing tactics to trick you into thinking they are worth more than they really are.  Mustachians should know better.

This looks like it turned into a flame war, but I'd like to get back on the topic of Vitamixes, because Sol's opinion about the sainted Vitamix is one I haven't seen EXCEPT as it is articulated by my husband every darn time I bring it up.

me: "But if we buy one, we'll never ever have to buy another blender! And it makes EVERYTHING!"
husband: "$400 is too much of a sunk cost for one blender unless it turns lead into gold or something. For that much we can buy a cheap one and replace it ten times while investing the difference over 40 years."
me: * thinks for a minute. Dang it. He's got a point. "But what if we buy a refurbished one?"
husband: "Budget is <$100 and keep in mind we got our Ninja for less than that four years ago and it's still going strong."
me: "Challenge accepted!" *proceeds to look for a refurbished Vitamix or one on Craigslist for <$100, fails miserably time and time again

I think Vitamix might kind of be a scam. Husband and I also go through this conversation every time I want a KitchenAid stand mixer or a nicer bread machine than our $15 Craigslist one.

But all of our friends have Vitamixes, and all the cool bloggers I read have them, and everybody says they're actually the most frugal kitchen appliance ever because they are so well-made and get so much use. So husband and I repeat this conversation every six months or so.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #328 on: December 12, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
Yes, I think everyone needs to justify their consumerism. We all have to be consumers, why not make the best choice?

I'd make the argument that purchasing higher quality products rather than consumer or disposable products actually saves money in the long run, especially with tools.  I'd even go so far to say small kitchen appliances are nothing more than tools.

In a mustachian world where every purchase is scrutinized, why wouldn't you purchase the long lasting higher quality item?  If you are concerned about the environment, wouldn't a product that lasts for life be better than purchasing and throwing out low quality items on a yearly or consistent basis? Just think of the production costs and energy used for these items, not to mention the trash created with plastic bags, crappy pans, cheap blenders, or broken tools.

I'm much more inclined to buy cheap stuff initially.

If I use it regularly then I'll consider BIFL quality. But if I don't... then I just saved a lot ($392 apparently for a vitaminix).

Also keep in mind CL and facebook swap groups have TONS of items that you can buy and repurpose.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: December 12, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
"Challenge accepted!" *proceeds to look for a refurbished Vitamix or one on Craigslist for <$100, fails miserably time and time again

What are you talking about, Craigslist is full of deals!  Here's a CL Vitamix for only $850!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/5874774066.html

Fuck this company and everything it stands for. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #330 on: December 12, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »

Ha yeah!  Zealotry be damned on both ends of the spectrum.  I don't feel the need to justify, just explaining.  I will not likely forage for dandelions for each meal or make a home out of mud and straw, or harvest silicon and copper to fashion a computer.  I also won't be purchasing $1000 meals, more house than I can manage, or $5000 gaming computers.

I've placed myself on the spectrum of consumerism where I'm comfortable, which is a sight better than it used to be.  And when I spend, I spend mindfully, not mindlessly.  Because this is a forum of like-minded individuals that are voluntarily 'gathering', encouraging words from your favorite math teacher in 8th grade that actually knew how to teach are much more helpful than the craggly-faced nun who steps out of the dark to remind you that you're doing it all wrong, do it better.  IF the intention is to teach or lead by example or share ideas.  Perhaps not so much if the intention is to be just a little bit more smug.  And I get that too, it's good to be an OG on these forums, and to remind others that you're doing just a little bit better than they are in the shared passion.
A clue that it might be the latter is that it's not reasoned replies on both ends to try and elucidate; it's just shouting the other side down.

Pardon my beer, but one more tangent: the ultimate dollar price is not the only metric I use in mindful spending.  I may buy a t-shirt (fill in example) I know is made locally, by willing adults, and it's a damn sight more expensive than the 3 for $5 t-shirts at walmart.  That's because, without variation, they are made by unwilling children in a far-away land that you will never meet.
And I say this genuinely, believe it or not.  I am very dispassionate about most things, and try to tackle most things with logic.  But foreign child-labor is the ultimate logic (and that's why it exists), and I just can't buy the Made in Pakistan shirts (insert location and example here).

Sorry for the tangent.  We are trading our life's energy for green pieces of paper and you are free to invest in your life or items.  Just be mindful of that.

Hmm something BIFL to make sure it's not OT...
Propper fishing hats.  It's a hat!  It blocks the sun.  They're Berry compliant tactical gear and they fade.  But they last forever.  Or they would if I didn't keep losing them.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #331 on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »

Well said, and on my 3rd beer now.  I agree with what you typed.  Personally that's how I look at it as well.  But, what works for you may not work for others.  As an example, a plastic surgeon that I'm friendly with has no desire to spend money on watches, but unfortunately purchased a rolex and expensive suits.  Totally not his temperament.  Before his makeover, he wasn't exactly slovenly, but what he tells me is that patients would see his Honda, his off the rack suits and his Casio, and just make the snap judgment that he was not good at his job.  Lots of consultations and no follow-through.  After he started dressing 'better', he scooped up a lot more patients and was also invited to a hospital as the burn ward consultant.  Not luxury, social signalling as functionality.

Anyway, that's a slippery slope though.  Putting myself in a possible patient's parent's position, i.e. if my daughter got a dog bite to the face, I may seek the plastic surgeon with the nice suit, watch, office, and car, as opposed to not those things.  That wouldn't be the only metric, of course, but it might sway me.  Ok just rambling now.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
"Challenge accepted!" *proceeds to look for a refurbished Vitamix or one on Craigslist for <$100, fails miserably time and time again

What are you talking about, Craigslist is full of deals!  Here's a CL Vitamix for only $850!

OMG I looked at the ad. $850 for a blender. Seems like an episode of Portlandia.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2016, 06:21:58 AM »

OMG I looked at the ad. $850 for a blender. Seems like an episode of Portlandia.

What would I have to pay for television  (cable, satellite, Netflix, etc) to appreciate the Portlandia reference?  I'm out of the loop on Game of Thrones, OITNB, Walking Dead, and so much else, owing to my cheapness and refusal to pay.  Around watercooler conversations about such things, I quite often feel as though I'm appearing in Adam Smith's world without a linen shirt, and I'm downright smug about it.

But I do have one of them fancy shmancy blenders. 

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2016, 07:25:56 AM »
Heh. You don't have a linen shirt? Pretty lame.

Portlandia is on Netflix. My husband has a slight weakness for tv, or we probably wouldn't have it either.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »

What would I have to pay for television  (cable, satellite, Netflix, etc) to appreciate the Portlandia reference?  I'm out of the loop on Game of Thrones, OITNB, Walking Dead, and so much else, owing to my cheapness and refusal to pay.  Around watercooler conversations about such things, I quite often feel as though I'm appearing in Adam Smith's world without a linen shirt, and I'm downright smug about it.
[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not the only one! I very much enjoy showing my ignorance regarding tv shows and celebrity drama. (I don't preach about it. I just get that "deer in the headlights" look when these topics come up.) I hope that just maybe, someone at work will see that there's more to life than keeping up with someone else's fake life, or the life of someone you don't know and will never meet.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
What would I have to pay for television  (cable, satellite, Netflix, etc) to appreciate the Portlandia reference?

Portlandia is on YouTube.  Since you are currently on the internet, you would have to pay zero extra dollars.  Unfortunately, you would have to give up some of that smugness.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
What would I have to pay for television  (cable, satellite, Netflix, etc) to appreciate the Portlandia reference?

Portlandia is on YouTube.  Since you are currently on the internet, you would have to pay zero extra dollars.  Unfortunately, you would have to give up some of that smugness.

Portlandia is also not that funny to actually watch; it is far more entertaining to hear about the episodes from friends/coworkers than to view them :-)  Or maybe I am just some sort of post-retro-neo-hipster who cant appreciate the brilliance of the show (FWIW I am wearing plaid today).

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2016, 10:44:58 AM »

I was just thinking the same thing.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »
I've been trying to think of other BIFL items, things that not only last a lifetime but also are more cost effective over the long term than buying repeated replacements.  It's a difficult list.

Children are a huge investment that should last a lifetime, and so are worth doing right, but you don't really have an alternative so I don't think they count.  They're certainly my single biggest purchase, though.

Basically all clothing items wear out, so the only ones that qualify are the ones with lifetime free replacement guarantees.  REI gear, Land's End, Osprey, a few others.  Those are BIFL companies, though, not BIFL items.

On the topic of companies, Joshua Kennon would argue that some individual stocks are best held as multigenerational assets, because they produce steady dividends from strongly positioned companies in industries with great long term prospects.  Like Exxon Mobil and Disney.  He thinks you should buy them now and plan at least three generations before your family considers selling.  Does that count?

All of the other BIFL items I can think of are items that don't see much use, so can last a lifetime because they don't get a chance to wear out.  Even the nicest hammer will need replacement eventually, unless it spends the rest of your life in a drawer.  And in that case, the $10 hammer will last just as long as the $100 one.

I'm open to other suggestions.  Buildings and land, maybe?  I know some farmers who think of themselves as long term land stewards and plan to pass the farm to their kids someday.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2016, 12:58:10 PM »
I think hammers really do last a very long time, though. I have a small ball peen hammer that was my grandfather's and for all I know, his grandfather's. The handle was obviously originally handcarved, though it has worn smooth over time. I used it when I was a kid, and 50 years later I still use it to whack nails into walls.

I own a second hammer, which I bought in the bookstore in Boulder in 1972. It's a little bigger and has the claw thingies that you use to pull out nails.

I'm certainly no carpenter, but those two hammers have served my hammering needs over my lifetime.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »
I'm open to other suggestions. 

Funny.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »

I have a Blendtec, not a Vitamix, but similar pricepoint and idea.  The blade is integrated into the jar, so cleaning is just putting some water and a drop of soap in and hitting the pulse button. Nothing to take apart, and no chance of leaking out of the bottom.  The blades are also more of a blunt object that smashes into and pulverizes the food instead of slicing, so no handling a sharp blade.  Mine also has a small jar designed for thicker purees.  It's not really worth the price just for smoothies unless you do green smoothies, which it can really make smooth.  Here is a list of things I make with my Blendtec:

Hot soups(doesn't explode out/leak)
Hummus
Guacamole
Bean dip
Cornmeal
Nut butters
Hot sauces
Ketchup
BBQ Sauce
Sriracha
Chile paste
Mayonnaise
Whipped cream
Frozen desserts
Pancake batter
Pesto
Fruit butters
Soaps, lotions and ointments
Bulletproof coffee
Ground flax
Compound butter

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: December 26, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »
My BIFL items:

Tumi briefcases
Tumi luggage (I have had my Tumi duffel bag for over 20years, no signs of wearing out)
Allen Edmonds shoes (comfortable from the first wearing, great for 10+ years, then you have them recrafted)
Patagonia coats
Stearns and Foster mattresses
Philips Sonicare Tooth Brushes (they don't last forever, but they are damn worth it)
Coach belts
Michelin tires
Vitamix blenders

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: December 26, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »

I am laughing at the thought of a vegan choosing this specific example.  :)  I'm not a big blender-user, but I'm glad it works for you.

Roadkill counts as vegan, right? No suffering was caused for you to eat. Just someone's transportation needs....

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #345 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:44 PM »

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »
I built a computer several years ago, and spontaneously one of my sticks of RAM died.  Went to look up the product details and I learned that the DDR3-1600 RAM had a lifetime warranty!  Team Group is having to special order the thing from an office in Taiwan because it's out of production, but darn it, I'll never have to buy another stick of DDR3-1600 RAM again!

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
After pining for a barbell and Olympic plates for years (but too frugal to buy), I read MMMs new post with him pictured doing a barbell squat. That was enough to push me over the edge and buy a barbell with plates, both of which should last me my entire lifetime.

Short of leaving them outside in the elements (which I don't plan to do) or droping them from height, what could possibly happen to shorten, their virtually endless, longevity? I don't want to ever buy these again.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: January 01, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
After pining for a barbell and Olympic plates for years (but too frugal to buy), I read MMMs new post with him pictured doing a barbell squat. That was enough to push me over the edge and buy a barbell with plates, both of which should last me my entire lifetime.

Short of leaving them outside in the elements (which I don't plan to do) or droping them from height, what could possibly happen to shorten, their virtually endless, longevity? I don't want to ever buy these again.

I would suggest a wipedown after use. Salt and moisture (sweat) initiates corrosion (rust)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
Yes, they last forever, or forever enough for our lifetimes.  And craigslist is littered with them!  Since there's really no way to damage heavy metal, craigslist is the most economical way to go.