Author Topic: Biking in the rain  (Read 3751 times)

El Gringo

• Bristles
Biking in the rain
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:49:33 PM »
I've been biking to work for four years now and I've never had any rain-appropriate attire, but I'm thinking of finally getting some (mainly because I'm moving to a new place that doesn't have quite as good public transit access to use when it's pouring down rain). What do people recommend in terms of pants, jacket, and bag that are water-proof but not ridiculously expensive?

fodder69

• Stubble
Re: Biking in the rain
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
No particular suggestions, but I will say that I recommend non-bike clothing for rain gear. Bike clothing always "breathes" which means you get wet which I always thought defeated the purpose. It will keep you warmer so I use it when I train (for bike racing) but general commuting it's not as good. You do have to watch the sweating of course (ride easy when you can, unzip). It should have a flap on the back that can breath (as long as you aren't wearing a backpack). Non bike clothing opens up other cheaper options as well.

The other thought is just to accept you will get wet and just focus on being warm which is easier.

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:46:21 AM »
^^Seconded re non-dedicated gear.  When I bike in the rain, I wear waterproof hiking pants and a lightweight waterproof hiking jacket with pit zips (helps with the sweating).  For bags, I use two panniers that are made from recycled billboards.  Capacious, waterproof, and just about bombproof - and also rather attractive.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 03:48:34 AM »
I just purchased a pair of Rainlegs (www.rainlegs.com)

They only cover your upper legs, so they work best on a bike with fenders (like a Dutch bicycle)

They won't keep you a 100% dry but they do keep your upper legs dry and warm, while not being sweaty because the rear side is open.

Don't know if they're available in the US but you can get 'em online.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:04:43 AM by DagobertDuck »

matimeo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:34:59 PM »
I've found non bike specific clothes at thrift stores. Seems like they always have tons of that stuff. I scored a goretex jacket shell for $10 that works great in the rain. Same thing with the pants I use. As suggested, look for stuff with vents or pit zips, since none of it breathes we enough to not overheat if you're riding fast. Riding I the rain is the best.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:49:15 PM »
I bike in the rain a lot.  The most important gear I have for wet days isn't even rain gear.  It's clear safety goggles for keeping the water out of my eyes and the right gloves so my hands don't freeze from wind chill.  Both of these problems are probably worse than average for me because I tend to bike fast, so if you're more of a slow pedal kind of person they might be less important to you.  Going fast in the rain is hard on the eyes and hands.

Pretty much any type of coat will work on light rain days.  It will get wet but you should stay mostly dry. 

I wear hiking rain paints if it's really pouring, but I usually don't bother.  Maybe once a year?  I figure my jeans will get damp, and then in an hour or so they'll be dry again, no big deal.  I've never really understood the fascination with waterproofing everything, I figure if you go out in the rain you're supposed to get wet.  Your ancestors have been getting wet in the rain for thousands of years and they all seemed to do just fine.  Why are we suddenly made of sugar?

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »
Fenders are by the far most important piece of equipment for biking in the rain.

A general-purpose rain jacket can do fine on top. Look for pit zips if you're riding faster than a crawl, since you'll sweat a lot otherwise. This is fine:
http://smile.amazon.com/Marmot-PreCip-Jacket-Black-Large/dp/B000FE013W/ref=buttz

I have been eyeballing Rainlegs, since even in pouring rain, the rear of my pants essentially never gets wet. They are the probably the dorkiest product on Earth, but also are easy to take off when not riding, so they seem sensible.