Author Topic: Bike Commuter Pants: Levi's Commuter, Others?  (Read 1829 times)

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
Bike Commuter Pants: Levi's Commuter, Others?
« on: August 08, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Are there any business casual bike pants that match Levi's Commuters from 2012?

I bike commute 5 miles each way and am very resistant to dealing with logistics and time requirements of wearing bike-specific clothes as Anchorage summers are cool enough to not sweat and I often run errands or meetings during the day by bike. Winter clothing is another issue.

I need reasonably priced pants that are up to the task of being both hard-wearing and business casual, with water/stain resistance and stretch/gussets for movement. This is a tall order, but met by Levi Commuter pants five years ago (reinforced crotch, stretchy, beads water, and resists stains with some bikey features to boot and $50 on sale). I've had at least 8 pairs of Levi's and my oldest pairs were/are amazing and last years, but newer pants skimp on features and wear through the crotch in months. I've tried Shower's Pass Rouge pants and they seem to perform well in cooler weather, but aren't as breathable or comfortable (and the pockets are too small for a cell phone...on men's pants!). Any other ideas for my unreasonable pants demands? In the meantime, I'll keep checking eBay for old Levi's.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bike Commuter Pants: Levi's Commuter, Others?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:54:39 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
Can you just wear shorts and change when you get to the office?  Shorts are always going to be more comfortable in the summer, and then you don't have to worry about wearing out the crotch of expensive pants.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »
Can you just wear shorts and change when you get to the office?  Shorts are always going to be more comfortable in the summer, and then you don't have to worry about wearing out the crotch of expensive pants.

But less effective for the biking around to meetings/to meet people/whatever.

Carharts? Thrift store? Jeans work OK for me, but probably don't meet the "business casual" threshold. I also have some travel pants from Kohl I really like, but I'm not a guy...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »

But less effective for the biking around to meetings/to meet people/whatever.

Carharts? Thrift store? Jeans work OK for me, but probably don't meet the "business casual" threshold. I also have some travel pants from Kohl I really like, but I'm not a guy...

When I was in high school and I knew a guy who bought khaki Kevlar pants to skateboard in.  He said that they were just about indestructible, and I saw him wipeout in them many times without wrecking them.  Maybe check something like that out?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!