Author Topic: Best way to humidify whole house?  (Read 2171 times)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
Best way to humidify whole house?
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:55:10 AM »
Living in a low hunidity area currently and can't stand the currently and can't stand the dry air, i have a humidifier but it only does the small areas like the bedroom, any recommendations on a humidifier that can do the whole house or any other tips?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Best way to humidify whole house?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 07:01:28 AM »
A few suggestions:

Dry your clothes inside on racks.

Do a bunch of canning, or any cooking that involves boiling things on the stove for a long time.

Don't use the fan when you have a shower.

Get some house plants.

Turn off the dry cycle on your dishwasher and open it up to dry overnight.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »
Related to the cooking suggestion, use a rice cooker inside for rice and beans and lentils. You can move it anywhere you need moisture.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »
late to the party here but we have an aprilaire 600 system installed on the HVAC, works great
we had an aprilaire steam unit at the last house but that one has much more expensive filters, also worked great

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 05:51:28 AM »
late to the party here but we have an aprilaire 600 system installed on the HVAC, works great
we had an aprilaire steam unit at the last house but that one has much more expensive filters, also worked great

Thanks for the recommendation, do they need to be professionally installed? What if you have ducted heating?

Also what would be the best heating method for humidity? e.g ducted, reverse cycle, hydronic heating etc.?

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »
we had ours installed both times, but i think if you are mechanically inclined you could do it, it needs a water line run and a drain line and a hole cut in the blower unit, and electrical installed

we have (had) ducted hvac in both houses with a natural gas furnace, as for method i am not sure

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 08:27:09 AM »
I have a gas stove (and gas heat).  I bought a stock pot at a thrift store.  I put water in it and put it on a stove burner at a very low flame/setting.  The water evaporates.  The furnace fan spreads the moisture to the rest of the house.    The heat from the flame goes into the air in the house, so I'm not 'wasting' (hardly) any energy.
I add water every night.   I turn up the flame on really cold / dry days.
Note: you can NEVER use the pot for cooking.  The minerals and contaminants in the water are left in the pot when the water evaporates.  It coats the inside of the pot.   I'm on my second pot.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!