Author Topic: Best undershirts for sweat - very humid climate  (Read 3544 times)

Levi421

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best undershirts for sweat - very humid climate
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am in the market for some good, high quality, very durable, undershirts for a very hot humid climate. Breathe-ability is a must! I plan on doing quite a bit of outside/labor intense work and and my Hanes cotton undershirts become soaked by sweat in less than an hour. Chaffing is a problem for me with wet clothes... What products should I look into? My wife is also interested in female undershirts, if the ladies want to chip in 2 cents as well.

Am I doomed to be sweat soaked, or is there hope for a more comfortable way to work outside in the summer in Louisiana? Your suggestions are much appreciated!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best undershirts for sweat - very humid climate
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
I found these to work really well: https://amzn.to/2PW04Qw

I actually found them at Costco, I think a 3-pack was around $20, so even cheaper than Amazon.  They are a polyester/spandex blend, so they dry really fast.

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
I use synthetic blend t shirts from eastern mountain sports.  They brand this apparel "techwick" I am really happy with them and can usually stock up when they are on sale.  Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) is kinda a thing in the northeast US and I find them to be like a poor mans REI.  They had a big sale here not too long ago and picked some up for like $8 each.  My daughter runs and she loves them. I ride my bike to work and have a layer of scottish wool on my back so I sweat like a gorilla and these things pull the sweat off me and dry out great in my opinion.  I have been the guy in the sweaty t shirt for like forever and a couple of years ago found this stuff and have never gone back. 

Levi421

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 05:11:28 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys! I will look into these shirts, thank you!

@svosavvy - Your EMS shirts: do you a fabric blend 85% polyester / 15% cotton, or do you use 100% Polyester?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:21:49 AM by Levi421 »

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I just looked at them.  I guess they are 100% polyester.  I always thought they were a blend.  Anyway I love these things.  I was looking on the site and there is an "EMS® Men’s Techwick® Essentials Short-Sleeve Shirt" size large on clearance for $7.48 but it is like a salmon color otherwise they are usually 2 for $30.  I used to have a $5.00 limit for t shirts but these are awesome imo.  The comparable shirts that REI sells have a price in the stratosphere.

msufan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
My life improved when I switched to wick-away undershirts. I highly recommend these: https://amzn.to/2p8eaCd

I'm never going back to cotton again.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
I started wearing ExOfficio [womens] tanks under shirts while hiking. They're incredible. Lightweight and fast drying. Not too expensive if you get them on clearance.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
I am confused. Why do you need an undershirt? I suppose you are have to wear a shirt on over this? What work or why is it necessary for you to wear a top shirt(I am guessing collared)?

My general advice for working in the hot humid south is to wear pure cotton, light weight t-shirt, usually a medium color that hides where you are sweating(if necessary) but not dark enough to trap heat. I really cannot stand any type of polyester shirt if I am sweating a lot and there is not a strong, steady breeze.

Levi421

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 05:31:16 AM »
I am confused. Why do you need an undershirt? I suppose you are have to wear a shirt on over this? What work or why is it necessary for you to wear a top shirt(I am guessing collared)?

Uniform shirt will be worn over the undershirt. Yes, they are collared.

Around the house, I probably would not wear an over shirt in addition to the undershirt.

alarswilson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »
Try Uniqlo's Airism. I live in Japan, ridiculously hot and humid in the summer, and this is the go-to shirt here. Not super odor resistant, but easily goes a day. Washes and dries very fast. The underwear is also great.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!