Author Topic: Best travel credit card option for me? (military)  (Read 1549 times)

Caycho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best travel credit card option for me? (military)
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »
Hello everyone, I am an active duty member (Air Force) currently on the road to FIRE. I am stationed at Eglin AFB in Florida and my family lives in Wisconsin. I would love to save a couple $$ visiting them once or twice a year for birthdays and such.
I have a good credit score of 72x but a short credit history of 2yrs3mths. (21 year old)
I currently have a Chase freedom card that I recently got to get the 150$ credit/15,000pts. Im thinking of getting the sapphire preferred with 95$ annual fee although Im not a fan of paying for credit cards, for the combo pts to get free flights.

All annual fees for AmEx credit cards are waived for AD military. I was thinking of getting the Plat card as it offers 5x pts/per 1$ spent on flights, 200$ in airline credit (purchases made in plane: wifi/food/luggage) and other perks such as free uber rides/complimentary hotel stays/ & lounge access) saving 450$ is awesome and im thankful AmEx does this for military. Although im not sure ill be able to get it due to my short credit history and low annual income, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Which option would be the most convenient/cheapest for me? or does anyone have any other combo that they know of that offers cheap airfare? Thank you for any advice.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best travel credit card option for me? (military)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
What's your monthly spend? Can you buy gift cards (grocery store, Amazon, airline, etc.) that you know you'll use later if you can't spend $1000/mth?

The Capital One Venture offers $400 bonus for travel and 2% back. The annual fee is waived for active military (or it used to be -- you'll need to confirm). Even if it's not waived, it is waived for everyone for the 1st year.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture/