Author Topic: Best slippers for Winter (Comfortable, Warm & Durable)  (Read 22867 times)

calicuervo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best slippers for Winter (Comfortable, Warm & Durable)
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »
I'm looking for a pair of slippers to wear around the house.

I don't mind spending some money.

I know one of the reasons for investing in very expensive shoes is that they'll last for like 10 years, so they are actually cheaper than buying crappier shoes and replacing them all the time.

They obviously must be comfortable & warm.

I'm thinking some with treaded soles so I can run out and take the trash or just be outside a little bit without worrying about tearing them open.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
Re: Best slippers for Winter (Comfortable, Warm & Durable)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
This is not very MMM of me but I am about to wax eloquently about my very expensive slippers.

A few years ago, (PreMMM) I ordered some handmade felted wool slippers on Etsy (made in Lithuania). Aside from my bike I think they are my favorite purchase of the decade. I think I'm probably 3 years in and they are still going strong. They make me happy every single cold weather day and to me they are the epitome of coziness.

Mine are in the same vein as these:
http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=felted%20wool%20slippers%20lithuania&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

shusherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
I really like my Acorn slippers. They're fleece with a good tread.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
I'd go for LL Bean Wicked Good slippers. They're super warm, and LL Bean will take returns forever, for any reason, so it'll be the last pair of slippers you ever buy. My pair has lost all the shearling on the bottom after three winters, and they told me to just mail them back for a brand new pair.

I agree, I own the same slippers and find them very comfortable and (usually) warm. I tend to have poor circulation in my feet, so sometimes even the thickest socks and slippers can't warm them up if they've started off ice-cold. In that case, a warm foot bath and then putting on the slippers tends to work.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but you bring up a topic that I've heard others mention before that seems kind of odd to me. I know LL Bean has a very friendly return policy, but I could never imagine returning an item that had simply worn out due to normal wear and tear over a normal period of time (several years). If there was some obvious defect that caused them to break or wear out prematurely, then sure I'd return them, but returning something simply because it has naturally reached the end of its reasonable lifespan seems like taking advantage of the policy. Not criticizing, just curious, and a bit surprised that that was the recommendation you got from LL Bean themselves.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Ditto on L.L. Bean--my husband and I have both had very good luck with their sheepskin, indoor/outdoor soled slippers over the years. Be careful with Acorn--I had used them successfully in the past, but the last pair of sheepskin slippers I got from them had one sole that was put in wrong and very uncomfortable--also the tops no longer could be unrolled up to keep the ankles warmer. I think their quality has dropped. L.B. Evans makes nice men's slippers, and they are indeed pricey for the warmest, best-quality styles. Both my husband's pairs of slippers at the moment are L.B. Evans. One is the deerskin, and one is the suede, wool-lined. (Check online--best way to get what you want.) Both can be worn outside, and as he is disabled, sometimes he'll just leave them on and wear them to his doctor appointments. They look fine for that. For winter for myself, I am having good luck with a pair of short, black Ugg boots. I wear them as slippers, and of course can just leave them on all day for whatever I am doing out in the yard or community. I have a pair of black shearling Ugg slippers that I wear in warmer weather. They are very comfortable, but don't have the height to keep my ankles warm, and while they have the indoor/outdoor sole, they look too much like bedroom slippers for me to be comfortable wearing them outside somewhere with street clothes..

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
Also voicing support for LL Bean! I love that brand as a whole, and their slippers are one of their long-time staples that you can really, really trust.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
Uggs. Love them. Have them on right now.

Mumintheburbs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »

Yes!! Plus 1000. They also last 10 years plus if you can refrain from wearing them outside.

calicuervo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
Well, first of all, thanks for all the recommendations!

I think I'm going to order a pair of LL Bean slippers. That Lifetime Guarantee really does seem good.

Thanks for the links too, serpents tooth. Had no idea about that German law. Interesting!

Cheers all,

Stay warm!

TheOfficeLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:14 AM »
I was having heel trouble and I had a tendency of walking around the house in socks. My podiatrist told me to get a pair of Halfinger's (they're a little expensive) but I always wear them inside now and I can wear them outside when I do things like take out the trash. I LOVE THEM.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »

Got some for Christmas this year and I love them. Would wear them to work if they'd let me. Worth every penny.

grebel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
http://www.zappos.com/haflinger-at-classic-hardsole

Haflinger AT shoes. Boiled wool, german made. I just bought a pair of these off of Amazon and boy are they comfortable. I love these over the shearling ones because I find shearling makes my feet sweat, but these puppies allow the feet to breathe. The only thing I would say as a heads up that I found I needed to up my size to a EUR 46, when I normally wear a EUR44.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
I've been wearing my Uggs classic short black boots inside and outside all winter. If there is too much snow or if it's sloppy/slushy/wet, I wear a waterproof boot (Columbia Bug-a-boots) outside…but for the most part, it is Uggs all the way.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:41 AM »
If you don't mind something with a real sole, I'd go with a pair of knock-off Uggs.  I've found nothing warmer.  I wear them with socks so any foot sweat is on a washable sock instead of in the shoe.  I have several of the Costco brand "Uggs", which are way, way cheaper than the real thing, but which have lasted for years. 

And if you can find any this time of year, chances are good they'll be on sale. 

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 07:18:43 AM »
I am a huge slippers wearer (spend most of my time in my house and wear them 100% of the time inside), tried tons of brands, and all seemed to be worn out, stinky, falling apart after a year's worth of wear....

...until about two years ago I discovered what was the perfect solution for me.   I wear warm fuzzy socks combined with Crocs clogs (the kind without the holes).   This way I can wash the socks after a few wears (keeps them from getting too dirty/stinky) and the crocs provide extra cushion, grip, can be worn outside for getting the paper, provide extra warmth in the winter compared to just the socks, and seem to hold up really well (no signs of wear after 2 years).   I make a point of not wearing them outside other than a quick trip through the driveway, so they stay clean enough to wear around the house.

Even if one is not a huge crocs fan, I'd recommend something similar (eg, cozy socks of choice-wool, fleece, etc, with choice of very cushioned, slip-on, but heavy-duty shoe) for serious slipper wearers.

IdigArchaeology!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
I'm a woman and I bought Ugg clog slippers and they ARE THE BOMB DOT COM!!!!!

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »
I have had great luck with Rockports.  I wear them pretty much every day around the house (work at home most weeks).  Keep them on when I walk out to get the mail and have often looked down at the gas station to realize I'm still wearing them.

Love them.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
Haflingers. Absolutely wonderful.

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 06:58:16 AM »
I have a pair of short Ugg boots that have served me well as slippers during cold winters.  Pretty much wear them inside the house, but you can use them outside also as they were intended. Very warm and comfortable. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 06:41:01 AM »
Since my last post in November, 2013, I've still been wearing my short, black classic Ugg boots when it's cooler, and except for the really humid summer days, my Ugg low black house slippers in the warmer weather. I've purchased a second pair of the short, black classic Ugg boots, because I got salt stains on the first pair wearing them out in the snow and slush...but I still have the first pair, and actually wear them both. I just love the Ugg boots and slippers. My only issue with the black is that sometimes my feet look grubby from the dye, or the black gets under my toenails. So I am just careful to use a soft nailbrush on my feet in the shower sometimes so my feet and toenails look clean.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »
I really like my Acorn slippers. They're fleece with a good tread.

I like as well.  Very cheap Sierra Trading posts with sales and coupon codes

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 12:31:44 AM »
I cannot stand the LL Bean Wicked slippers, cannot stand the lambs wool fleece feeling.  I have gotten gorgeous slippers at Garnet Hill outlets and online clearance.  Soft suede slip ons, leather soles, beautiful contrasting colors.  I like Acorn (look on Sierra Trading Post) when I can get them really cheap but they run small, I wear a 6, have to buy an 8 in theirs

CletusMcGee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 05:47:02 AM »
I love these Sorel slippers:

http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Manawan-NM1466-Slipper-Marsh/dp/B001AOK75S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1440157403&sr=8-3&keywords=sorel+slippers

Aside from being warm and comfy, they have a rubberized sole that provides grip, and the "high top" cut means that you can just walk outside in snow and generally not get any inside the slipper.  In the winter I just walk right outside to attend to the dogs with no fear of slipping or getting wet/cold.  I do spray them down with silicone waterproofer through.