Author Topic: Anybody save $ on auto insurance with low mileage discounts?  (Read 3499 times)

FInding_peace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey all,

So for the past several years, I've averaged about 4000 miles a year of driving, which is low compared to the general population's average of 15000 a year, albeit probably much higher than many bike-in-all-seasons mustachians ;-). 

I currently have auto insurance with Geico, and I used to get a discount with them for driving < 6000 miles a year.  However, this former discount option seems to have evaporated, and I'm wondering if my rates would now be lower with someone else.   

Has anyone found a good way to save money on auto insurance by leveraging your mustachian low-mileage tendencies?  Inquiring minds want to know! 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Anybody save $ on auto insurance with low mileage discounts?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:15:27 AM »
Years ago we got a discount with State Farm, but IIRC, it was because we drove less than 25 miles/week. We literally only took the car out on Saturday at that point.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:37:57 AM »
I pay $13/month for liability only with Liberty Mutual on a low mileage plan. That was less than half of the next cheapest policy i could find. I ordered it through USAA (but i'm not a veteran…my dad is).

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
We use MetroMile, which is basically designed for low mileage drivers.  My husband set it up and I think there were some hiccups with the setup (you have to install a device in the car to monitor your driving), but now it's in it seems to be fairly straightforward.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
I pay $13/month for liability only with Liberty Mutual on a low mileage plan. That was less than half of the next cheapest policy i could find. I ordered it through USAA (but i'm not a veteran…my dad is).

You can use USAA to buy other insurance?? I have USAA insurance (liability only) for $45/month and it was the cheapest I could find. I looked into MetroMile but the savings were meager if I took no unexpected trips and nonexistent if I did.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »

You can use USAA to buy other insurance?? I have USAA insurance (liability only) for $45/month and it was the cheapest I could find. I looked into MetroMile but the savings were meager if I took no unexpected trips and nonexistent if I did.

USAA has a partnership with Liberty Mutual for non-veteran USAA "members" (in my case, i am family of a veteran). The USAA website will redirect you to Liberty Mutual when you log in and select "auto insurance".

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

USAA has a partnership with Liberty Mutual for non-veteran USAA "members" (in my case, i am family of a veteran). The USAA website will redirect you to Liberty Mutual when you log in and select "auto insurance".

I am also a family of a veteran and this is not my experience. Perhaps it's state-specific?

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
I am also a family of a veteran and this is not my experience. Perhaps it's state-specific?

Go to usaa.com and in the header, there's a link to `auto insurance` that should direct you to a page with a big button: "Get a Free Quote". It will require you to log on with your usaa.com account.

If that doesn't work, then maybe it is different by state.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »
I mean it works in that I can access auto insurance, I just don't see anything about Liberty Mutual.

J Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:59 AM »
An additional USAA anecdote -- I have auto insurance through USAA and it is not with Liberty Mutual. It's actually though a company called Garrison Property and Casualty Insurance Company.

Unfortunately, I don't have a low miles discount, so I can't weigh in on the OP's question.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
AAA was always good for this, although they increased my premiums after I used membership services. It was about $20 per month for up to 5000 miles per year.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:32:32 AM »
Yup, we get it. DH is a civil servant and we get great prices from CSE Insurance, which stands, very imaginatively, for Civil Service Employees Insurance.

Previously, I got great deals from a Canadian company called WAWANESA. They do limited business in the US, primarily CA and AZ. They were awesome, but CSE is now cheaper for our family.

Both are kind of obscure recommendations, but if one of them works for someone, hooray!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
I get a decent duscount from AAA.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »
I get the best rate from Allstate. USAA and Metromile were both higher and I too have very low mileage on my vehicles.

FInding_peace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
Thanks all!  I don't have a veteran connection, so I can't do USAA, but I'll check out Metromile and AAA. 

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 07:48:47 AM »
I currently have auto insurance with Geico, and I used to get a discount with them for driving < 6000 miles a year.  However, this former discount option seems to have evaporated, and I'm wondering if my rates would now be lower with someone else.   

I'm kind of curious what you mean by "this seems to have evaporated". We're currently getting a better deal from Geico than even MetroMile could offer, because we only use the car once every week or 2.

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 06:15:25 PM »
I get a low mileage discount with Ameriprise, it comes to about $50 a year.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
An additional USAA anecdote -- I have auto insurance through USAA and it is not with Liberty Mutual. It's actually though a company called Garrison Property and Casualty Insurance Company.

Unfortunately, I don't have a low miles discount, so I can't weigh in on the OP's question.

It's probably going to vary by state, but I do have an "Annual Mileage Discount" with Garrison.

I put 8000 miles driven per year, and I get a 3% discount. I think it was similar in my previous state as well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!