Author Topic: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months  (Read 105811 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
I call the reconsideration line the next day if the application is "pending." I recently had to move Chase available credit around in order to get a new Chase card.

To mitigate the peaks and valleys on your credit score due to credit utilization, payments can be made before the statement closes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
^ Maybe so... I had planned them to cover future taxes/fees on award flights too, but even if that is not possible, $200 ($400 if you have a spouse or partner with the card) would get me a free or very cheap (and mile-earning!) round trip flight to major cities - NYC, Boston, DCA which I'll definitely use. Also these don't expire and you can use up to 8 GCs to buy a ticket, so I may just rack them up and save them for future.
Yes, AA lets you use 8.  I think Delta only allows 3 or 4, and at $50 increments that doesn't get you very far.

My plan is the United Gift Registry - I should be able to get $600-700 from various cards in there to pay for a more expensive flight I have planned in 2017.  I hardly have any United miles, but enough AA/BA for 6 RT to DCA visit my family, so I'm good there for another 2 years.  But it would be sweet if GCs could pay for award fees (or get directly reimbursed) for those!

Cessna152

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Got the offer on the first time and then:
"We've received your application, but we can't give you a decision right now." ... hopefully will only take a few minutes to approve like the last guy that got this message.

Took a few hours, but I finally got my acceptance email.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Anyone have stats on how long it takes for the points to hit the account after reaching the minimum spend and/or the closing date of the statement period that you hit the spend within?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Usually the statement after spending requirement hit.

Vilgan

• Bristles
great offer, thanks for pointing it out. I tried 20x opening it regular, all were 20k. 3rd time I opened it in incognito it was the 50k offer.

I wish there was a way to get notified when really good deals like this are out there, but in a once per quarter method or something not all the crazy newsletters/spam of sponsored offers that most websites have.

kudy

• Pencil Stache

I hit the spending in the first month, and the statement for that first month closed about 2 weeks ago; I still haven't received the bonus - think I should call?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
I would.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Their points system is acting weird, I haven't seen any points (even from normal spending) show up so far. I will wait until I hit the bonus on both my cards and then call.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog

I hit the spending in the first month, and the statement for that first month closed about 2 weeks ago; I still haven't received the bonus - think I should call?

This is normal behavior for Amex. All points earned for spending on statement N post at he close of N+1. Which is just a rephrasing of what milesdividendmd said.

If you want, pay your balance down to zero and call in. They can rush process your points and they will post in a few business days. I did this once.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Okay, I think I mis-understood - but I like the idea of rushing points, so I'll see what they say!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Update:  Using the MileagePlusX App to get a United Airlines reimbursement works again.  I bought a $100 Amazon card through the app on Tuesday and had a $100 credit yesterday.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Update:  Using the MileagePlusX App to get a United Airlines reimbursement works again.  I bought a $100 Amazon card through the app on Tuesday and had a $100 credit yesterday.

Thanks for the info. Just processed the payment, let's see if I can also score! I'll keep ya'll posted.

Making Cents

• Stubble
My airline credit for a $100 American Airlines gift card just credited 4 days after purchase (backdated to yesterday, when the GC became usable).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Before you guys make another purchase to get the $100 fees credit because you made a purchase during the "dead zone" where no fees were getting reimbursed, it may come automatically.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/all-amex-airline-reimbursements-from-september-now-coming-through/

kudy

• Pencil Stache
I didn't realize I had to set a preferred airline, and I made my purchase before doing so - do you think I'll still get the reimbursement if I set the airline *after* making the purchase?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
I didn't realize I had to set a preferred airline, and I made my purchase before doing so - do you think I'll still get the reimbursement if I set the airline *after* making the purchase?

Can't hurt to set it now but it's worth a shot.

Also, try calling in and asking nicely. They may give it to you as a courtesy. However they may ask you to wait like 90 days or something (in the t&c they give themselves a pretty long window to give you the credit)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Update: just got the reimbursement credit for the $100 gift card! Took 2-3 days.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
I also got reimbursed for mine! 2 days after purchase!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Has anyone had any luck selling their points to an unaffiliated agency yet? I got the confirmation message that I earned the 50k points today.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Has anyone had any luck selling their points to an unaffiliated agency yet? I got the confirmation message that I earned the 50k points today.

I sold British Airways miles to Flip My Miles about 2 weeks ago.  They instantly sent me payment via Paypal.  Their quotes seem a bit low though, I'd try the Miles Broker for the MR points.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
This still working? Getting ready to start my next churn in a week or two.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
I'm a bit hesitant about the legality of selling points to a broker. It isn't illegal, but it does violate Amex terms and conditions. Is that something to worry about?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Yo can be shut down. That's for sure.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
I'm a bit hesitant about the legality of selling points to a broker. It isn't illegal, but it does violate Amex terms and conditions. Is that something to worry about?

You won't be able to sell to the broker as AMEX won't let you transfer points that way.  Most likely they will ask you to book a ticket for someone else with your miles and that can get you shut down not only by AMEX but by whichever program you book with.  Not worth the risk IMO.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just applied and got denied.  My credit score isn't very high (630ish) since I haven't really had a credit card before.  I have a solid history of paying back student loans, and have a $60k+ salary, so I'm a little surprised I got denied. I did sign up for a card yesterday via my credit union and was approved, so maybe that affected things?  I'm planning to use the CU reward card for a while to try and bump up my credit score, but are there any other recommendations?

I called recon last night (a month later...), just got an email saying I was approved.  The recon call was a little weird; the lady just read off the reasons I was denied, then said I should expect a decision with 24-48 hours.  She didn't ask any questions.  I have opened 3 other cards since the original app, so I figure the extra credit helped on the recon.  Not sure.  Glad I got it though.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Okay, I think I mis-understood - but I like the idea of rushing points, so I'll see what they say!

I just accelerated my points again because I wanted to cancel my PRG (I got it a year ago, annual fee is coming up) and I had 190 points pending from my statement that closed a few days ago.

The CSR saw I had paid my bill and was happy to accelerate my points. They posted instantly.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
I just sold my points last night.  Took about 15 minutes to sell them to TheMilesBroker, ended up getting $625 for 50,000 points.  Instant Paypal payment.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Is it worth selling the points though? Idk, I'm just 21. If I got my AMEX shut down forever, that'd suck. I don't think a few more hundred dollars is worth the risk.

francophile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just sold my points last night.  Took about 15 minutes to sell them to TheMilesBroker, ended up getting $625 for 50,000 points.  Instant Paypal payment.

How did it work, did you have to book a ticket for someone else?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache

You create an Air Canada/Aeroplan account, transfer the points there.  So no risk of Amex banning you.  If I got banned from having an Air Canada account, I wouldn't care.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
I was just told that bonus points can't be accelerated, and for some reason it is taking 2 months for me to receive them - any idea if this is true? I thought I'd get these points right away.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
I was just told that bonus points can't be accelerated, and for some reason it is taking 2 months for me to receive them - any idea if this is true? I thought I'd get these points right away.

IIRC this is what happened to me. The signup bonus can't be accelerated but the regular spending points can.

I do recall it took a while to get the signup bonus points to post. Though I don't remember how long.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
After being denied by 1 phone rep and 1 live chat rep, another live chat rep accelerated points for me; apparently it's not a steadfast rule ;) I now have my hotel booked for Costa Rica trip in January!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
After being denied by 1 phone rep and 1 live chat rep, another live chat rep accelerated points for me; apparently it's not a steadfast rule ;) I now have my hotel booked for Costa Rica trip in January!

Yay for HUCA!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:57:13 PM by johnny847 »

Making Cents

• Stubble
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »

You create an Air Canada/Aeroplan account, transfer the points there.  So no risk of Amex banning you.  If I got banned from having an Air Canada account, I wouldn't care.

Did you call by phone? I put in a quote request via the website and have yet to hear back. Also, did you compare transferrable airline plans to decide on Aeroplan? I assume these are the most highly valued points (aside from Amex rewards themselves)?

Thanks for any tips.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
I am a little late to the party. Just saw the thread.

I signed up, got approved no problem. Credit Score 760+ 44k income.

Got the 50k after a few refreshes.... I will let you know how the gift cards work.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
What did the Amazon gift card code as when buying through the MXP app?  Mine says "MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-4655 TX", which makes me a little nervous that they won't count it for the airline credit.  Either way, the gift card didn't cost anything, I'll just have to make sure not to buy anything I wouldn't have otherwise.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
What did the Amazon gift card code as when buying through the MXP app?  Mine says "MPX*AMAZON.COM 1-800-421-4655 TX", which makes me a little nervous that they won't count it for the airline credit.  Either way, the gift card didn't cost anything, I'll just have to make sure not to buy anything I wouldn't have otherwise.

Go to your statements and activity tab.  Find your transaction under either the Posted Transactions or Pending charges. Click on it, and it will expand to look something like my attachment. (My example is of a charge directly from Amazon).

Notice how it tells you the category near the bottom. If your MPX transaction show up as an airline transaction, you'll get the credit.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

Go to your statements and activity tab.  Find your transaction under either the Posted Transactions or Pending charges. Click on it, and it will expand to look something like my attachment. (My example is of a charge directly from Amazon).

Notice how it tells you the category near the bottom. If your MPX transaction show up as an airline transaction, you'll get the credit.

Thanks for the tip.  I've actually used that feature in the past on a different Amex card, but I forgot to check in this case.  Glad to report that it coded as "Travel - Airline"

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2015, 06:47:05 AM »

Did you call by phone? I put in a quote request via the website and have yet to hear back. Also, did you compare transferrable airline plans to decide on Aeroplan? I assume these are the most highly valued points (aside from Amex rewards themselves)?

Thanks for any tips.

I didn't call anyone, and I didn't choose Aeroplan.  I put in a quote to sell Amex MR points to TheMilesBroker, they told me to transfer my points to Aeroplan.  They then sent me $625 via Paypal after verifying that the points were transferred.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »

I did the same thing.  Did yours end up coming through?

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2015, 12:31:44 PM »
Hello, first post here! Thank you to the OP for this card recommendation; I was able to get this card, registered for United,  and have already received the $100 airline fee reimbursement for 2015 through United Mileage x - the credit posted almost immediately. I've also completed the minimum spend to get the $50k points (today is the first statement closing date) so I'm waiting to see them post.

Now I'm not exactly sure where to transfer the points; I already have 18,000 accumulated with Alaska, but can't transfer there directly from Amex it seems. I could transfer to Delta, then transfer the Alaska points there as well, but I hear Skymiles are not the easiest to use. I have an international flight on Delta/KLM/Air France coming up, and can choose where to send those points (have currently entered Alaska).

Any recommendations on where to send/how best to utilize these points? I'm a total beginner to the mileage game!

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2015, 05:36:07 AM »
Hello, first post here! Thank you to the OP for this card recommendation; I was able to get this card, registered for United,  and have already received the $100 airline fee reimbursement for 2015 through United Mileage x - the credit posted almost immediately. I've also completed the minimum spend to get the $50k points (today is the first statement closing date) so I'm waiting to see them post.

Now I'm not exactly sure where to transfer the points; I already have 18,000 accumulated with Alaska, but can't transfer there directly from Amex it seems. I could transfer to Delta, then transfer the Alaska points there as well, but I hear Skymiles are not the easiest to use. I have an international flight on Delta/KLM/Air France coming up, and can choose where to send those points (have currently entered Alaska).

Any recommendations on where to send/how best to utilize these points? I'm a total beginner to the mileage game!

You can book RT Europe on Air France for 50k points if you're looking to fly delta.

You can transfer to aeroplan and fly United but you need 60k for RT Europe.

Sky miles are easy to use but you may need way more points than you have for the flights you want.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »

I did the same thing.  Did yours end up coming through?

My first transaction did NOT go through - setting the airline after making the purchase doesn't work :(

I did do a 2nd transaction after setting the airline, and that worked; I received my reimbursement 5 days after the transaction.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
Just applied and approved within a couple minutes via email. Will Do the gift card and minimum spend within the first month so I'll have another data point for y'all soon.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
Thanks, Jags! I'll look into these options.

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
Do the account credits still count toward min spend? I have spent $1,000.19 (go figure) on my Amex PRG, but the bill due is only $880, due to the travel credit and a Best Buy credit. Does this mean I'm done with the $1k min spend?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
Different card, but Chase Sapphire is running a 50k point promo instead of the usual 40k (and Chase Freedom has $150 signup with 10% back at Amazon over the holiday season).  Freedom points can be transferred to Sapphire and redeemed for travel at a 20% discount (i.e. $100 at amazon is $10 in points, which is $12.50 in travel through Ultimate Rewards).

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
Got my card in 1 business day essentially. Picked United as my airline of choice and downloaded the MilagePlus X App. Made the $100 Amazon.com gift card purchase and it shows on the CC statement as "MILAGEPLUS X", category "Travel-Airline". Let's see what happens with the statement credit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!