Author Topic: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months  (Read 105797 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
$500 for 60k AA miles is low. You don't have anywhere you and a friend/partner/parent need to fly in the next 18 months?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Amex Premier Rewards Gold - Get up to $825 after spending $1,000 in 3 Months
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
I filled out their form and got an email back in a day or two - once they emailed me back, everything happened pretty fast.  I was offered $500 for 60k AA points.

Did you take them up on their offer?   I've gotten a few quotes as well, but nothing as high as $625 as suggested in the OP.

I did. I found that I could fly round trip from Newark to Calgary for 12,500 points each way, but it was a 7am departure with past-midnight arrival and two layovers (total of 3 flights), and I refuse to subject myself to that when 4-5hr direct flights are available. :P

These were also American Airlines points, not American Express points.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
I haven't received my $100 credit for 2016 despite making the purchase over a month ago.  I even went on MilesPlusX and ordered a smaller Amazon gift card last week and havent been reimbursed for that either.  Any idea's of why its not working for me?

wrangler05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
I haven't received my $100 credit for 2016 despite making the purchase over a month ago.  I even went on MilesPlusX and ordered a smaller Amazon gift card last week and havent been reimbursed for that either.  Any idea's of why its not working for me?

Did you pick United Airlines as preferred airlines in your account before installing mileage plus X app and purchasing the gift card?

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »
Yes, but I got my smaller credit today.  For some reason the $100 didn't get accepted.  I'll repeat with smaller transactions.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »
My 50k points just posted. That took forever. My BoA awards posted basically immediately in contrast.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
I just want to take a moment to say thank you very much to the OP, kpd905, for making this offer known and outlining a very effective strategy!

I have begun redeeming my points and so far I have gotten:
- 4 free nights in an airbnb apt in Spain (still have $11 of airbnb credit to use)
- $200 off a car rental, that will cover the majority of the rental for the whole week. I'm only paying taxes and for an "extra" I added
- And I have 2 $100 gift cards I haven't touched yet, which will cover at least 1/2 my flight home for Christmas this year

Plus I have 7,000 points left I can still use or transfer! Thank you kpd905!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
I just want to take a moment to say thank you very much to the OP, kpd905, for making this offer known and outlining a very effective strategy!

I have begun redeeming my points and so far I have gotten:
- 4 free nights in an airbnb apt in Spain (still have $11 of airbnb credit to use)
- $200 off a car rental, that will cover the majority of the rental for the whole week. I'm only paying taxes and for an "extra" I added
- And I have 2 $100 gift cards I haven't touched yet, which will cover at least 1/2 my flight home for Christmas this year

Plus I have 7,000 points left I can still use or transfer! Thank you kpd905!

Glad you could get in on this offer.  Sounds like you ended up with some great redemptions!

nanu

• Bristles
This is a bit off topic, but there's currently a great offer for the Amex SPG card - 35K pts after $3K of spending in 3 months, annual fee is waived for the first year.
If anyone is interested, I can send them a referral (I get 5K pts if you're approved, and you still get the best offer that card ever had)

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Also slightly off-topic...

AMEX switched my Costco card to a "Blue Cash Everyday" card in Dec 2015.  No biggie since I had cancelled my Costco membership in spring 2015 - I had gotten a free one year membership and wasn't worth it to continue.  I actually thought I had cancelled the Costco AMEX since I really only used it there - Chase UR are my main rewards program.

Anyway in the letter informing me of the switch, AMEX offers two promos
1) Spend $25 or more in purchases in 1st 3 months --> $25 statement credit
2) Spend $1000 or more in purchases in 1st 3 months --> $100 statement credit
So $125 statement credit for $1000 spending - cool.

1st week of Jan spend $25 dollars, period closes late Jan.  I wasn't aware of the  typical delays so I called customer service in late Jan asking about the $25 credit.  It was a pretty painful call because 1st agent wasn't aware of the offer and didn't believe me. Had to get it escalated and finally got the proper information.

Gets to week 9 or 10 since the spending and credit still hasn't shown up.  Another phone call.  Another first agent who is no help.  I keep telling her there should be notes which she dismisses.  Escalation.  2nd CSR is helpful, reads notes, tells me I did everything right and there was some fluke that my credit got missed.  As a gesture of goodwill, he tells me he will process it immediately AND double it to a $50 credit to make up for the inconvenience of my 2 phone calls.  I'm happy since now I get $150 for $1000 spending.

That was a week ago.  I have since received:
1) $50 credit labeled CR ADJ FOR BILLING INQUIR [Expected from phone call]
2) $50 credit labeled CR ADJ - PURCH FX FEE  [no idea as I have not made any non-USD purchases with this card]
3) $25 credit labeled $25 Statement Credit on [Part I of the promo even though #1 above technically was]
4) $100 credit labeled $100 Statement Credit on [Part II of the promo - I hit $1000 in spending by Feb statement close]

$225 in credits for $1000.11 of spending? I'll take it!

I was wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else.  AMEX figure it out?  Did they leave it or correct the error?  I wasn't planning on informing them and of course it's no problem if they do reverse it...just curious really.    Thanks!

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Question for OP and anyone else who has sold their points to TheMilesBroker:

I sold my miles yesterday and received payment within 15 minutes of transferring. Has anyone had trouble getting flagged by AmEx after doing this?

I had to go in and add someone as an authorized user to my card and then transferred the points. TheMilesBroker instructed me to remove this user from my account the following day (today). After I transferred the points I got an email from AmEx within 5 minutes saying something to the effect of "your account maybe have had fraudulent activity. If you didn't transfer points, call us. If you did mean to transfer points, do nothing." Something about calling the next day to remove the authorized user makes me feel like I'll be more likely to get flagged for breaking their Terms and Conditions. Is this what you all had to do to sell points and did you receive any possible fraud alerts from AmEx?

charis

• Magnum Stache
I did not have to add an authorized user for a day when I did this.  That's asking a lot, in my opinion.  Whether it is fraudulent or not, eh, I guess it could be seen that way. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
You had to add an AU to do that? That's really weird, considering how Amex requires a SSN for you to add an AU.

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
You had to add an AU to do that? That's really weird, considering how Amex requires a SSN for you to add an AU.

I just had to provide the person's name and DOB and then provide their Air Canada number for transferring points. For SS# I was instructed to say that I didn't have it right then. Then added the person no problem and used my address for mailing the authorized user's card. I canceled today and the guy didn't seem to think anything of it. I'm just feeling paranoid that it'll get shut down because everywhere else I read about selling points is really doom and gloom about getting banned. Just wanted to hear of any other experiences with this

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
That authorized user thing is new, I only had to create an Air Canada account and transfer the points.  The Air Canada account was in my name, so Amex would never know the points are going to someone else.

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey guys,

Just so you know, The Miles Broker will give you $10 for every person you refer who sells their points to him. Just thought I'd mention that if it helps anyone.

peoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FYI, I have SW as my airline for reimbursement, and 2 weeks when I booked my flight to costa rica using points/ companion pass, there were $80 in taxes for each of us. 

American express refunded $100 of fees the next day.  I wasn't expecting this b/c they did not refund $11 for taxes for a different domestic roundtrip, or $50ish taxes for taxes to Puerto Vallerta. 

The charge to my cc for the taxes did not have my itinerary like it usually does. Not sure if this was a fluke, or SW changed something that made American express see it differently.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Does anyone know of any other good Amex cards? Basically I want to cancel this card, take the points, and avoid the annual fee. But if you close the card you lose the points. But if you open another Amex card that gives Membership Rewards points then the 50k will remain on your account.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Does anyone know of any other good Amex cards? Basically I want to cancel this card, take the points, and avoid the annual fee. But if you close the card you lose the points. But if you open another Amex card that gives Membership Rewards points then the 50k will remain on your account.

Open an Amex Everyday. It has no AF and earns Amex MR points.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks, I'll do that! Is the 10,000 points offer for spending $1,000 in 3 months worth grabbing now? Or should I wait for a better offer to come along?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog

Thanks, I'll do that! Is the 10,000 points offer for spending $1,000 in 3 months worth grabbing now? Or should I wait for a better offer to come along?

It has gone up to 25k before http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-everyday-25000-point-signup-bonus/

Considering Amex signup bonuses are once per product per lifetime, I'd wait as long as possible.

And I'd even consider just transferring out your MR points to an airline you're likely to use your points at instead of signing up for the Everyday at 10k (and waiting for a 25k offer), but that's a tough call. There's no guarantee the 25k offer will come up again.

nanu

• Bristles
I'm not sure I would suggest just transferring the points to an airline. You will lose the flexibility of being able to transfer the points.

The Amex EveryDay has gone up in the past, but no telling when/if it'll go up again. If you can't wait (because the annual fee on the PRG is coming up) you might want to open the card now, even if it's not the best bonus possible.

If you're interested, I can send you a referral for the 10K points after $1K offer (it's the same as the public offer, but I'll also receive 5K points after you sign up).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
I'm not sure I would suggest just transferring the points to an airline. You will lose the flexibility of being able to transfer the points.

The Amex EveryDay has gone up in the past, but no telling when/if it'll go up again. If you can't wait (because the annual fee on the PRG is coming up) you might want to open the card now, even if it's not the best bonus possible.

If you're interested, I can send you a referral for the 10K points after $1K offer (it's the same as the public offer, but I'll also receive 5K points after you sign up).

That's why I said I'd consider it. Not that Cwadda should do it immediately.

nanu

• Bristles
I agree - it just depends on when the annual fee on his PRG comes up. If it's next month, it might be time to open the EveryDay card.
If it's in six months, he can wait a while longer.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
Is it worthwhile to sell 50k membership points for $575?

tiffany24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is anyone else having trouble using mileage plus to buy the 100 gift card? Order won't go through and i reached out to customer service and they said sometimes there is a delay from when you download the app and are able to make purchases (It's been about a week).

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Is anyone else having trouble using mileage plus to buy the 100 gift card? Order won't go through and i reached out to customer service and they said sometimes there is a delay from when you download the app and are able to make purchases (It's been about a week).

It kept denying my card when I tried to purchase a $100 Amazon.com gift card. Instead I purchased 2 $50 Amazon.com gift cards and they went through just fine, got the credits the next day and everything. Maybe try that?

tiffany24

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
That's what is happening to me as well. It's denying the 50 too. I'll try again later and see if anything changes. Thanks

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Did MilesBroker quote you $575 for 50k miles? He quoted both my boyfriend and me $550 for ours very recently.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache

I was offered $637 about 5 months ago.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache

Did MilesBroker quote you $575 for 50k miles? He quoted both my boyfriend and me $550 for ours very recently.

Just yesterday.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Any current milesbroker quotes for comparison?  Also, are people being asked for login information and the code on the card?  I know they are reputable, but that's a little much.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
At one point about 6 months ago I was quoted $637 for 50k points.

VioletVixen

• Stubble
I was just offered $575 for 52,630 points. :( What determines how much you're offered? If I wait and try again in a few months, can the quote increase?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
I was just offered $575 for 52,630 points. :( What determines how much you're offered? If I wait and try again in a few months, can the quote increase?

The rates are variable. I'd theorize because it's the summer months not as many people are flying and going on vacation.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
Just signed up for one with 50k points, but have to spend $2k in 3 months. Not as good as the OP, but very good nevertheless.

SamIAm38

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just got spend 2k get 50k points. thanks for the info! no problem with the extra spending, I just make a mortgage payment using plastiq and it counts towards the signing bonus. Can pay extra towards the principle to make the 2k limit and be done with very soon. PM if anybody wants a referral for plastiq. We both get fee free credit using the referral program. Can use it for other bills too.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
I just got spend 2k get 50k points. thanks for the info! no problem with the extra spending, I just make a mortgage payment using plastiq and it counts towards the signing bonus. Can pay extra towards the principle to make the 2k limit and be done with very soon. PM if anybody wants a referral for plastiq. We both get fee free credit using the referral program. Can use it for other bills too.

Please pm me with referral code. I need to spend some CC money :)

MrStash2000

• Stubble
To those out there selling miles.... Who do you use as a broker?

VioletVixen

• Stubble

The rates are variable. I'd theorize because it's the summer months not as many people are flying and going on vacation.

I asked if the time of year matters, and the person at TheMilesBroker said that it didn't, then offered me $600. I asked how to proceed and he said "I will need login details including front 4 digits of card and back 3 digits on card. Also the 4 digit pin used online to verify. Then I will transfer the points out and will send payment once completed." That makes me very uneasy.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
I used TheMilesBroker 2 days ago. I added an Authorized User to my account, and transferred 52k MR points his ANA account. Received $598 for them. 1.15c each in increments of 1,000. Was easy, just had to make 2 calls to customer service. One to add the user. Two for expediting the user on the MR transfer. They were able to do it without a problem. I sent a screenshot of the MR history, showing the transfer and he sent me the money via Paypal.

If you provide the broker with the above requested info, 4 on the front, 3 on the back, account password...etc. I think he can add the Authorized User and transfer the points out. Saving him having to explain to you how to do it... But, I agree, that is a lot to ask. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

There is a bonus of 10,000 miles if you sign up for the "Pay Over Time" program. You don't have to use the program, but it turns the card into a credit like card, as the balance can be paid over time. Free 10k MR points ($115 @ quoted rate).

ALSO, flights to/from USA/Japan on ANA start at 40k miles... A great value since they are $1600+.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
The 10,000 MR points posted today and are redeamable. No waiting.

For a 5 minute call to Amex... Pretty good deal :)

VioletVixen

• Stubble
I used TheMilesBroker 2 days ago. I added an Authorized User to my account, and transferred 52k MR points his ANA account. Received $598 for them. 1.15c each in increments of 1,000. Was easy, just had to make 2 calls to customer service. One to add the user. Two for expediting the user on the MR transfer. They were able to do it without a problem. I sent a screenshot of the MR history, showing the transfer and he sent me the money via Paypal.

If you provide the broker with the above requested info, 4 on the front, 3 on the back, account password...etc. I think he can add the Authorized User and transfer the points out. Saving him having to explain to you how to do it... But, I agree, that is a lot to ask. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

There is a bonus of 10,000 miles if you sign up for the "Pay Over Time" program. You don't have to use the program, but it turns the card into a credit like card, as the balance can be paid over time. Free 10k MR points ($115 @ quoted rate).

ALSO, flights to/from USA/Japan on ANA start at 40k miles... A great value since they are $1600+.

I took a leap of faith and gave him the info because I didn't want to do it myself. Got $606 for $52,630 points. :)

Do you have to call Amex to sign up for the "Pay Over Time" or can you do it online?

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
I called. They answered right away. No hold time.
After I added the Authorized User, they asked if I would like to hear available offers, and I said sure. I didn't ask. But when I heard 10k points... I inquired more.
It took maybe 5 minutes more. Probably less, she was quick. Read me the terms and I agreed. Easy.

It might be possible to do online, a quick google search didn't give an helpful links. (There is an old fatwallet thread that is relevant, the link took me to page saying I had already signed up)

Direct link doesn't want to work, https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1298538/

No idea if the link in the OP's post works, so you are on your own.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
I signed up for this promo last year after seeing this thread and cancelled the card earlier this summer. Today, I got a targeted offer for this same card in the mail. It doesn't seem to say that you're only eligible once or can only get it every two years...anyone else get one of these?

It might be worth applying to see since the offer is worth over $600.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
I signed up for this promo last year after seeing this thread and cancelled the card earlier this summer. Today, I got a targeted offer for this same card in the mail. It doesn't seem to say that you're only eligible once or can only get it every two years...anyone else get one of these?

Once per lifetime. Not worth the pull or effort.

nanu

• Bristles
Sometimes targeted offers don't have the "once per lifetime" language to them, which means you can get the bonus again.
If you end up applying, make sure to closely read the T&C and keep screenshots in case Amex gives you any issues

charis

• Magnum Stache

I don't get why people say this.  $600+ to do the same spending on a credit card that I normally do is certainly worth the zero effort of a 1 min 30 sec online application.  A pull might be a probably for a few people, but if you already have excellent credit and no immediately loan needs, it's pretty meaningless and credit bounces back quickly.

Megma

• Pencil Stache

I don't get why people say this.  $600+ to do the same spending on a credit card that I normally do is certainly worth the zero effort of a 1 min 30 sec online application.  A pull might be a probably for a few people, but if you already have excellent credit and no immediately loan needs, it's pretty meaningless and credit bounces back quickly.

Yeah I'm not worried about a pull at all. My credit score is around 800 and I have no plans to get any new mortgages or anything, plus I'm sort of shopping for a new card. Might do a few applications while I'm at it. At least I could get the airline credit. I might give it a whirl.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache

"Once per lifetime." If you aren't going to get the $600, it's not worth the effort (to meet the minimum) or pull or AmEx slot.

Oh, they'll give you the card. They just won't give you the bonus after you've met the minimum.

YMMV with targeted offers. As Nanu wrote, keep good records and be prepared to escalate with the CFPB.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!