Author Topic: Amazon 20% Off with Amex MR Points - Up to $100  (Read 3588 times)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Amazon 20% Off with Amex MR Points - Up to $100
« on: July 08, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
Amazon currently has a deal where they are giving 20% off your order if you use at least one Amex MR point in their Pay with Points feature.  This is up to a $500 order, so you can get $100 off.  You can't buy Amazon gift cards with this offer, but you can buy many third-party gift cards, such as:

Safeway gift cards
Whole foods gift cards
Uber gift cards
Airbnb gift cards
Lowe’s gift cards
Southwest gift cards
Lyft gift cards
Hotels.com gift cards
Giant Foods gift cards
Stop and Shop gift cards
Gamestop gift cards
Starbucks gift cards
Netflix gift cards
Nordstrom gift cards
Chipotle gift cards

Many people are also getting this to work multiple times.  It is a bit unclear whether you need a Prime account to get this to work, but you could always sign up for a free trial.  If you use it to buy items and not gift cards, the items must be sold by Amazon, not a different seller.  Not sure how long this one is going to last.

Link is here to activate the Pay with Points promo: https://amzn.to/2zlovTk

List of their 3rd party gift cards is here (scroll down past the Amazon cards): https://amzn.to/2KSvqbb and https://amzn.to/2MV3iS7

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Amazon 20% Off with Amex MR Points - Up to $100
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
Dang, says I'm not eligible.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »

Have you done a Amex MR promo before with Amazon?  I think I did a "$30 off $60" deal about a year ago, so I too was ineligible on my account, but good to go on my wife's account.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Have you done a Amex MR promo before with Amazon?  I think I did a "$30 off $60" deal about a year ago, so I too was ineligible on my account, but good to go on my wife's account.

Nope, never have. I haven't set the amex link up though- do you think if I do that first, it'll change to being eligible?

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

Nope, never have. I haven't set the amex link up though- do you think if I do that first, it'll change to being eligible?

Not sure, it wouldn't hurt to try I guess.

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on how to turn around and use this offer easily to get liquid cash again? I am not spending any money and do not need gift cards and do not know how to liquidate third party gift cards for a 90%+ to make it worth it

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
Double dipped this promotion.  Have $500 safeway GC, $400 amazon GC, $100 merch for $600.   

I have a problem: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/abusing-cash-back-anyone-been-shut-down/msg2070899/#msg2070899

This extends to Amazon, too.  I've been using a LOT of promotions.  I've gotten refunds and Prime extensions.  I'm pretty sure they haven't made much money off me, and I'm worried their algorithm will boot me (http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-closes-users-accounts-customers-fight-back-2018-4)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on how to turn around and use this offer easily to get liquid cash again? I am not spending any money and do not need gift cards and do not know how to liquidate third party gift cards for a 90%+ to make it worth it

If you don't need anything, don't do it, it's a trap.  My favorite comment from the slickdeals thread:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11766191-amazon-amex-membership-rewards-cardholders-pay-w-points-get-20-off-select-cardholders-max-100-discount?p=117196703#post117196703

was that one of you?

But come one?  You can't get grocery store gift cards?  That's an instant 20% discount on your grocery bill.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:35:09 PM by dragoncar »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »
According to Doctor of Credit, if you are not targeted for this offer, try the following:

Add items sold by Amazon to your cart
Use at least one MR point
Add this promo code: AMEXSWP20PD

Hope this helps someone out!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Double dipped this promotion.

Same here.  And I've also used Amex MR promotions on Amazon in the past.

I've cashed out most of my MR points to my Schwab account earlier this
year, but I'll always keep my non-AF Everyday Card active for these offers
and maintain a few MR points in my account.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

Do all cards get these promotions?  I've gotten a lot with the platinum, but obviously thinking about downgrading to something else before the annual fee

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
It worked for me - I used another Amex promo a couple of months ago, too.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »

Do all cards get these promotions?  I've gotten a lot with the platinum, but obviously thinking about downgrading to something else before the annual fee

I can't answer definitively for all members, but I've been able to use any of my
Amex MR cards for the Amazon offers.

I was able to get my Everyday Amex card with a 25K MR point sign-on bonus.
Not sure if it's still available, but possibly a better option than downgrading.  Just
close the Platinum on the anniversary date.

I've used the ED card to park my MR points from various Amex cards until I cashed
out to Schwab earlier this year, but it's been useful for the most recent Amazon MR
offer.

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
Did this to buy $500 of Airbnb gift cards for $400. Then I had a $30 off of $60 on another order. Also got 5k? Points for staying at a Hilton (paid by work) and will get another $50 credit on my next work paid trip.

I got the Amex Platinum a few months ago and it’s a weird card in that I don’t really use it much (1x on purchases and non Amex travel hotels isn’t very attractive) but it is still a great value. I’ve been in the Chase UR universe for years and this is my first Amex but definitely using it as they keep giving out these bonus reward options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!