Author Topic: A shopvac is all you need?  (Read 2815 times)

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A shopvac is all you need?
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
For vacuuming the house, isn't all you need just a shopvac plus appropriate attachments? It can also safely suction wet things, allowing you to clean stains on the carpet by spraying them down, letting them soak, and then vacuuming.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: A shopvac is all you need?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
I suppose it could be done, but...
My shop vac (30 yrs old?) puts a LOT of dust in the air compared to my home vac
Takes up more storage space
Harder to move around
Doesn't come with any attachments
Doesn't hold any attachments
Doesn't have the power for a beater-brush head
Doesn't have the headlight (it must be needed - all home vacs have them!)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
The shop vac that I've got doesn't do a good job on carpets (no beater bar), the only attachment it came with is much too bulky to get into tight corners, and the vacuum itself is awkwardly shaped to lug up while doing stairs.  It's also noisy as hell (although many commercial vacuums - Dyson, I'm looking at you - also have this problem).

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Get yourself a nice Kirby, doesn't have to be a new ($$) one. Something 15 or 20 years old (or older...our is 50 years old this year). It'll be the last vacuum you'll ever purchase, and should it need service, parts are readily available. Well engineered, well built. 'Buy it for life'.

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:42:38 AM »
I'm a woodworker and I own a festool dust extractor.  After forking over the cash for that, you're damn right I clean my house with it.  They're super quiet.  I use the attachments, they work very well.  I don't have carpet.  I wouldn't call them shop vacs though.  They use a HEPA filter and they are not for liquid clean up.

If you're not a woodworker, there are vacuums better suited for house clean up than festool. 

I also have a milwaukee cordless 18v which is kind of like a Dyson but the battery platform works with my milwaukee 18v set.  It's not as powerful or quiet as my festool but it's good for on-the-spot cleanups like right after my 1 year old is done eating aka throwing food everywhere.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »
You're obviously a bachelor. You are 100% correct, and someday after the happiest day of your life you will find out that you aren't right anymore.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
It's not as powerful or quiet as my festool but it's good for on-the-spot cleanups like right after my 1 year old is done eating aka throwing food everywhere.

We have a beagle for these situations.  Handles wet and dry food messes diligently, thoroughly, and without complaint.