Author Topic: work at big box store for the discount and benies?  (Read 9372 times)

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
work at big box store for the discount and benies?
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
I am pretty much FI, I have a couple rentals that I own outright and at 49, I just make the FI numbers.  I left my high paying very stressful corporate gig about a year ago but had some residual income from that which is now ending. I am considering taking a gig at a big box hardware store mostly for the discount since there's a bunch of (non-mustacian) stuff I want to do in my home - new solid core doors, new paint, quiet dishwasher (please no face punches....),etc... Also, if I go full time I would get benefits. Has anyone went from high paying corporate land to low paying retail when they were FI? Am I nuts to be considering this????? :) Thanks!!!!!

I should add that DH is still working and will work a few more years to pay off his rental, so we really can't travel yet.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:08:22 AM by freeatlast »

LAGuy

• Bristles
Re: work at big box store for the discount and benies?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
I am pretty much FI, I have a couple rentals that I own outright and at 49, I just make the FI numbers.  I left my high paying very stressful corporate gig about a year ago but had some residual income from that which is now ending. I am considering taking a gig at a big box hardware store mostly for the discount since there's a bunch of (non-mustacian) stuff I want to do in my home - new solid core doors, new paint, quiet dishwasher (please no face punches....),etc... Also, if I go full time I would get benefits. Has anyone went from high paying corporate land to low paying retail when they were FI? Am I nuts to be considering this????? :) Thanks!!!!!

I should add that DH is still working and will work a few more years to pay off his rental, so we really can't travel yet.

If you want to work full time, just do it in your profession. You'll make far more money than any big box discount would net you and you'll get benefits as well...probably better ones too. Retail jobs are hard labor. I did 10 years in a supermarket during my teens to late 20s.

Anyways, I think somebody here did something similar. They lasted a few months.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
My stepdad did that for a few months after he retired, just to get out of the house and earn some fun money. I think he worked at Staples and an auto part store, ended up quitting each one because they wanted him to work too many hours and he didn't have control of his schedule.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:22:16 PM »
I think you're underestimating how much it will suck.

Customers
Schedules
Managers
Loss of autonomy 
Holidays

Add up the discount and the wages and figure out another way. If you're really spending enough to make that discount lucrative- just do as little part time as possible. (And remember that your discount is only at 1 store - if another has it cheaper, you're not really saving)

Benefits take time to qualify for - maybe a year of working. And they're not going to be great by any stretch.

Just something to think about

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »

If you want to work full time, just do it in your profession. You'll make far more money than any big box discount would net you and you'll get benefits as well...probably better ones too. Retail jobs are hard labor. I did 10 years in a supermarket during my teens to late 20s.

Anyways, I think somebody here did something similar. They lasted a few months.

That would be Mr. Green.

OP, if you really need the discount, figure out your projects over the next year or two, make a detailed list, and then buy it all at once during the first week you qualify for the discount. Then quit when the job and schedule becomes too onerous.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 08:01:19 AM »
How big is the discount?

Seems like Home Improvement Stores regularly cycle thru the credit card bonus categories.  Discover can be 10% reward in the first year.  Stack that with some other discount or deal and maybe you're close.

On the other hand, if you want to work there for some structure, learn something new and different, social interaction, whatever, seems like it could be interesting if you manage the demands well.
Full disclosure: I'm working for some of those reasons, despite being well past FI, and really enjoy it.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
You could also just spend your time sourcing materials for these projects from non-retail places and then taking your sweet ass time to learn and do it yourself (because you have the time, ya'know?). For example, left-over materials from contractors, salvage yards, craigslist, Habitat for Humanity re-store, consignment shops and the returned materials at the big-box stores (which are sold for significant discounts). You'll save more than an employee discount and it will probably take less time than 20 hours a week (or whatever other hours you would work).

In a lot of ways its learning how to get off the mindset that, "I only have time to go to Home Depot for my materials, how else would I even get them." You now have the time to come up with a better solution.

Also, Mr. Green did do this and said it sucked. But, there is no reason you can't give it a try and see if it works for you. If you quit the retail job after a few months, it won't ruin your resume!

Great point. When a deck doesn't have to be completed this weekend, you can source materials over a month.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 02:19:30 AM »
The building material stores in Norway often give discounts to building companies, maybe 10%. Maybe it is worth registering yourself as a company and buying the materials through that with a 10% discount?

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
The building material stores in Norway often give discounts to building companies, maybe 10%. Maybe it is worth registering yourself as a company and buying the materials through that with a 10% discount?

We milked just this thing in the US--we would walk into an appliance or home improvement store and let them know we had just bought a new house, and "builder's discount" couldn't be said quickly enough.  It was about the same amount.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
If you think it might be interesting, then work there for a little bit and see if you like it.  You can always quit.  Either way you will learn something.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 05:05:58 AM »
The thought of another full time has never crossed my mind. Especially in low paying retail. Some folks love it though. You can get discounts without the full time hassle I'm sure. 

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
I was thinking about your question on my morning run. Many of the other responses focus only on ONE aspect of your question/situation. I was trying to think about it "from all sides".

Your question was "has anyone else reached FI and then taken a retail/low wage job for benefits/discounts" (Paraphrasing here...).

I'd answer that yes, I've taken low-wage work for benefits/discounts, in multiple ways...

Example, I work for free at local runs, that means I get to participate in them without paying.

I teach part time at local com college, so I can take other courses for free/get out of the house, help others obtain their goals.

I don't see this as a "single point" question (Do it just for the discount...).

I'd suggest there might be other benefits:

1. You get out of the house and get interaction with others. You mentioned that you can't travel (yet). I'm in the same boat, so getting out of the house for little adventures/meetings/church etc. is very valuable in ensuring I don't sit at home all day, watching netflix...

2. You'll be exposed to co-workers who can offer advice/suggestions on the projects you are planning. Getting the "inside scoop" from the old plumber working the plumbing section can be a great help. They can also tell you who to hire (if you need to hire out) and who to stay away from (lot's of half-ass contractors out there).

3. You'll be exposed to new skills and challenges. I was tired of my line of work and seeking new challenges, even if low skill etc, I was glad to find new roles to "try out" and see if they fit my aptitude/abilities etc. Something as simple as learning the floor layout, how to run a forklift, how to cut rope, they can all teach new things, especially if you are not coming from a hands on "line of work".

4. You might get some extra movement/exercise/fitness benefits out of the situation.

5. It's not THAT hard of work, my 18 year old has been working retail for two years... She's not a people person but she makes due, she has a lot of friends at her job and, being 18 years old, she'd rather be there than home... :)

6. As others have said, you can always walk away, you have FU money and are not in a wage slave situation. This makes you a VERY valuable employee. You'll likely add value to the organization as you are not scared to speak your mind but also smart enough to know what to bring to management and what falls under the umbrella of "that's just how things are in this org/line of work". I often ask questions that others are "scared" to ask, and they reach out to me later and thank me for asking the "hard" question that they wanted to ask but were afraid of looking dumb/being penalized for asking....

So, running it through multiple "filters" I'd say it's a fine idea. Best case, it's a "hobby with benefits" where you make new friends, support org leadership, and have other intangible bennies. Worst case, the leadership sucks, you can't stand the customer interactions, you don't like the work hours and you walk away.

Just my .2 cents.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 03:06:18 AM »
I find the idea of working a simple job after FIRE interesting to be in touch with other people. But no way I will be working full time again, if not necessary for financial reasons.

My DH thinks it is a better investment of our time to work consulting hours in our own field or expertise, as we can have a much higher hourly rate. But I would probably want to work in a low stress environment.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 04:02:45 AM »
I've thought about trying this first as a seasonal employee. It would have a natural ending point and you would most likely be seeing worst case conditions for job stress. After that, you could decide if you wanted to go permanent part-time.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 06:49:21 AM »
I know OP said they can't travel, but for anyone else, you can work at the airlines for 10 hours a week (last I heard) and get free airfare for you and your family.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »
My DH thinks it is a better investment of our time to work consulting hours in our own field or expertise, as we can have a much higher hourly rate. But I would probably want to work in a low stress environment.

That makes a lot of sense. For me, when I retired for the first time, I wanted NOTHING to do with the industry that I was in, after 25 years, I'd had enough.

It "stung" to walk away from that much experience and income potential but it was a relief to leave it behind.

I think the novelty of something different can help us continue to grow and enjoy our new found freedoms and flexibility.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
I love my Bosch dishwasher. It has a small red spotlight shining on the floor when it is running. Otherwise, you will not know.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »
According to a Google search, Lowe's offers 10% employee discount and Home Depot none (but give benefits after 20 hours a week) so that's not a huge deal. I'm pretty sure you get 10% off if you open a store credit card (good only for first purchase so get everything at once) or, as others have said, get creative.

For example I buy all my home appliances from a local business that has a huge "scratch and dent" clearance section (everything is still brand new so still warrantied) so I save 30-40% that way.  They also service everything and they actually know what they are doing.

Consider it a challenge to source creatively - you got lots of good suggestions here.

And, as others have said,go ahead and try it if you want - you have FU money!

: 0 )

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 12:20:22 PM »
It depends on your main reason for doing it.
1. For the discount? Home Depot gives none and Lowe's gives 10% How much are your upgrades going to cost? 10,000 saves you 1,000? The hassle of a job to save 1,000 :/ since you are FI, you can take your time. Check out estate sales, tear down/reconstruction sales, Restore locations, As is/clearance locations. Saves you more than 10%
2. For the money? If a big box store is your ideal making money scenario, then go for it.
3. For the social interaction? Again you can get that at any job or volunteer situation. Is Home Depot/Lowe's your #1 choice for that?

CopperTex

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
If you go to your local post office and ask for a change of address pack, there is always a 10% off your whole purchase coupon from Lowe's in there.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 05:19:36 AM »
Work at the movie theatre and see all the free movies you want!

travelawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
While I personally have no interested in working retail after FIRE (not enough $), I think people are being a little harsh re how "terrible" it is.  I've found that being the "best" employee gives you a lot of control.  I worked as a pizza deliverer and a sonic carhop and was always able to set my own schedule and hours, because it was so valuable to my managers to have someone who actually worked. I also worked at a laundromat/dry cleaner--which is great job for those on this thread who don't like standing!  So if hardware store is your ideal chill job, I think once you've proved yourself you would be able to have increased autonomy and flexibility.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
I worked a low paying gig at a gardening store this summer and loved it.  Because I was there to fill out the schedule on occasional weekends it never felt like a burden.

I really enjoyed the people I worked with and met interesting people from all over the country.  I received great discounts, had the opportunity to talk to people all day about my hobby, and also got to spend part of the time in the beautiful outdoors.

When I left my full time gig I was tired of the people I worked with.  I had little in common with them and often felt isolated.  It was important for me to spend time with people I enjoyed.  It really wasn't about the paycheck.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
Have to admit that if I ever start considering this plan, I'll figure out the neatest way to off myself. I haven't retired from a well paying, prestigious job to work at Home Depot. It seems like the worst idea I've ever heard, but hey, different strokes.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 08:44:39 AM »
I would consider part-time for the discount, which in some stores gives you access to wholesale pricing. You could probably do like 10 hrs per week and be useful to a store. I worked at a sporting store a few years ago for only 10-15 hrs / wk and got wholesale access to some top brands (ex. mountain hardwear down sleeping bag for $130) which was amazing. And, only working such short shifts allowed me to enjoy my time there more and I actually felt like I was being helpful to customers. Versus when I worked at a big box store for 40 hrs and just felt agony at every shift. Going from 10 hours up to 40 just for the benefits would never be worth the misery for me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
I worked at Home Depot for a while doing order picks/loading when in university, and it was one of the worst jobs I've had.

In my eight months there I never received the 'required' safety training.  Actually, I never received any training of any kind, but was expected to know how to use their proprietary computerized order system.  My manager yelled at me because I spent a few minutes helping a customer load heavy items into her truck . . . and then told me to tell anyone who asked me for help that I didn't work at Home Depot.

The few long term employees that they had seemed to go mysteriously missing whenever a difficult job came up.  Discounts sucked and were not available to all employees.  Most employees made up for this by stealing stuff all the time though.  Employee turnover was very high (in the eight months I was there, I think 1/4 of the employees were replaced.

Ugh.  Dredging up memories of that place makes me sad.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:54:06 AM by GuitarStv »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
...just tossing this out there from my experience working in big-box retail...

As others have said, the across-the-board discount is minimal and not on its own to justify taking a job.  But, one of the greatest 'perks' (to me) was getting first crack at returned/scratch-and-dent items, which management would 'damage out' and could often be aquired for 50-80% off list. Just being there a few days a week and seeing what was in the stockroom allowed me to score some monumentally great deals.  A disciplined employee could reno their entire kitchen and bath with high-end appliances and fixtures if they were willing to just take a wait-and-see approach.  Of course this sometimes leads to another trap, where employees spend their entire paychecks on things they don't actually need just because it was at such a steep markdown.

Ultimately it depends a lot on the individual's personality and the management of that particular store. GuitarStv clearly had a miserable time at his HD because of the management.  I've had very good and very bad experiences.  In the end if you've got "FU" money you can just quit if the job sucks.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 09:29:02 AM »
The people who work at my local hardware store always seem informed, well trained, and happy. I always go there if I can.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »

As others have said, the across-the-board discount is minimal and not on its own to justify taking a job.  But, one of the greatest 'perks' (to me) was getting first crack at returned/scratch-and-dent items, which management would 'damage out' and could often be aquired for 50-80% off list. Just being there a few days a week and seeing what was in the stockroom allowed me to score some monumentally great deals.  A disciplined employee could reno their entire kitchen and bath with high-end appliances and fixtures if they were willing to just take a wait-and-see approach.  Of course this sometimes leads to another trap, where employees spend their entire paychecks on things they don't actually need just because it was at such a steep markdown.
[...]
Yes, this! My bro works at a big box (starts with 'L'), and he scores all kinds of deals on returns, scratch/dent, closeouts, etc. And yes, he's been known to buy (small-ish) stuff he didn't need, with the hopes of either using it later or finding someone else who can.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 12:53:32 AM »

[...]
Yes, this! My bro works at a big box (starts with 'L'), and he scores all kinds of deals on returns, scratch/dent, closeouts, etc. And yes, he's been known to buy (small-ish) stuff he didn't need, with the hopes of either using it later or finding someone else who can.

If the bro can sell it to others for a higher price, then it might be a sweet deal. But it sounds like quite some work.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
Why would anyone want to go from endless Saturdays to ANY kind of w$%k?  I don't get this obsession with low pay dead end jobs once you FIRE.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Why would anyone want to go from endless Saturdays to ANY kind of w$%k?  I don't get this obsession with low pay dead end jobs once you FIRE.

Different strokes for different folks, man... some people don't find these jobs to be as tedious as you do - particularly when its not 40 hours a week and absolutely needed to survive.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has commented on this. Typically, tenants pay rent, which covers the mortgage, taxes, upkeep, etc. If his doesn't do that, perhaps he should dump it. Seriously, you can't travel because of this? Sorry, that dounds like an excuse dreamed up by someone afraid to FIRE. Absent some extreme mitigation, it is a face punch waiting to hsppen.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

I personally probably wouldn’t, but I totally get why some do.

I also don’t see an “obsession” I just see a lot of people looking at their options and a lot of people landing on this as an obvious option. What I don’t see is a ton of actual retirees doing it for very long unless they really enjoy it, in which case, great for them!

My military buddy works at a gold club pro shop for free access to the club. He loves chatting with people in the shop about golf a few shifts a week. No one else in his family or friends golfs. He’s done this for 15 years.

Another retired minister works part time at a high end wood working store and looooooves talking wood working with other hobbyists and helping them pick out the best tools for their job.

These are both unique retail jobs where a high level of product knowledge and passion is valued more than bottom-line sales tactics. It’s typical for staff to be retiree hobbyists. No one working sales at the wood working store is under 55. These are also retail locations that these men would otherwise *pay* to spend hours in and would probably wander around helping customers anyway.
I totally get why they do it. I wouldn’t, because for me there isn’t a store that exists that I have a passion for, so retail is out for me.

However, I would take a part time job in the library of parliament putting away books just for the access.

That’s all assuming I don’t just keep doing other high-paying work in retirement instead. It all depends on how I feel. I’ll never stop working though, if it’s not for paid work, it will be volunteering (which also often has benefits). So it’s not like I’ll ever live the “perpetual Saturday” life anyway, which holds absolutely no appeal to some of us.

As it is, I only have structured work 2 days a week. I can see someone who has worked long hours for decades hating the concept of any kind of work obligation post FIRE, but that’s not everyone’s situation or perspective.

Both of my uncles are FI and well past 'traditional retirement age'.  One delivers flowers and other gifts about 15 hours/week; the other works at his local American Legion a couple days a week.  Neither need the money and both enjoy their new jobs, even though they pay is much lower than waht they earned during their main careers.  Given that I know many people who just enjoy walking around hardware stores (i fall into this camp sometimes) I can see how a PT job there is appealing.

Our own plans are to go down to part-time and stay there, potentially for decades and likely into our 70s (we're in our 30s now). Will we feel the same way in 20+ years? No idea, but when we look around at others in our field who's path we want to emulate, it's often those that continue to work in our field at moderate level, sometimes in their 80s.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 04:12:35 AM »
I personally if and when i get bored which is seldom often think about this. While I would have no problem working at HD or L with unemployment so low you can do a lot better. Dont sell yourself short on the income is my point. You could probably find 50-100% more in pay to make up for the measly 10% savings and find all the flexibility you need.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2018, 05:56:17 AM »
Obviously a personal preference, but working retail is about 10,000x more annoying than a loud dishwasher, and with the dishwasher you can choose to leave and go for a walk every time, with retail you can only do that once....

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2018, 06:34:40 AM »
Obviously a personal preference, but working retail is about 10,000x more annoying than a loud dishwasher, and with the dishwasher you can choose to leave and go for a walk every time, with retail you can only do that once....

I've worked retail off and on for almost two decades.  IME the management team (and to a lesser extent your coworkers) make all the difference.  I've had jobs which were like nails on a chalkboard when the managers were either abusive or incompetent. I've also had jobs where I was genuinely sad to leave and had lots of fun while there.

Retail isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it's not for some people. Many of the ~5MM retail workers enjoy it.

PurpleYogurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
My husband and I retired and moved to a new state last year. After several months of both of us being home together, I decided to get a job. Of course I looked for jobs similar to the ones I always had, office administration. After turning down two job offers due to them not "feeling right" for me, I went a totally new direction...retail!

I was hired at a Healthy Living grocery store as a cashier. I make a fraction of what I used to make but I'm not doing it for the money, getting out of the house and meeting people was my goal. The thought of sitting at a desk again with all that responsibility depressed me. Now I'm on my feet for 4, 6, or 8 hours shifts and like it. Another good thing is flexible time off, I've asked for the entire Christmas week off and was approved. There are plenty of other cashiers who will take my hours. Many times I have three or four days off in a row. After 30+ years of working only M-F, it's kind of nice not having a set schedule.

The employee discount at my store is 15% with special employee appreciation days at 25% off. I appreciate the discount, makes up for the higher prices on organic produce I buy. As far as benefits, thankfully I don't need them because the cashiers are never scheduled enough hours to be eligible.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:19:10 PM by wtp1020 »

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
You have the time to regularly visit the Sears outlet store, if there is one near you. I picked up a WONDERFUL induction stove with a convection oven there for a vastly reduced price--the dent was on the back of the stove. This is assuming you only care about the discount.

Regarding social interaction, though: 
I did retire last year but "flunked out"--I need the social interaction of work. I now work two days a week for a delightful friend in her family business for low pay and a happier life. I take a week off whenever I like to visit family and friends. When I was working full time, I only had a week of vacation a year. That WAS NOT fun and it was bad for my health.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:13 PM »
I think your crazy, personally.

I don't think I can count myself FI until my budget can include a few extra things like home upgrades and at least a couple hundred a month (to be saved up) for things you don't expect.

10% discount is hardly worth the time you are going to sell for.... $10/h?

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 07:02:25 AM »
As someone who has had several retail jobs, I really don't know why anyone would choose too work in retail if they have other options. I have a pretty great "retail"ish job now, working for a small company, but about 4 years ago I worked 20 hours a week at a big box retail store making $9/hr and it was the worst job experience of my life. For such low pay, managers expect the world of you, and I have never worked so hard in my life to just make sure I was following the 100s of obscure rules. I had to wear a uniform, and I was assigned to specific tasks/areas of the store, so if a customer needed me to move/help I would get in trouble for spending too long out of my "area". I know that not every retail job is this bad (I have a great, high paying one right now) but seriously, there are so many other options for supplemental income if you are an experienced, hard worker. I dog sit on the side to supplement my income, and make $5-7k a year easily.
If you do want to try working in retail, I really suggest finding a small business. It seems counterintuitive possibly, but they tend to pay better, have better benefits(discounts) and more flexibility. Big Box retail stores have very specific goals and rules that start at the corporate level, so there is little flexibility, discounts are usually tiny, and IMO it is just not a great environment.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
I know a guy that worked for NYC Dept. of Transportation for 30 years, was the director of a department making great money with excellent benefits. He retired and took a job at Lowes, last I heard he was recovering after being hospitalized when lumber fell off a high shelf and hit him in the head. So there is that to look forward to.

I also just met a guy who after being retired for 10 years from running his own construction company  took a full time PM role at a construction company because his wife bet him he couldnt get hired and wouldn’t last 6 months. He was on month 8 and said he would quit soon because he won the bet and doesn’t need the money.

Personally I would just try to work in my field for an extra year or two and stack my chips so I didn’t have to worry about needing benefits or discounts. Also +1 to having the time to poke around a source things in a less traditional way. I would take a part time job at a lifestyle shop like others have mentioned. For me this might be a ski shop, a pool hall, a rock climbing gym, or teaching snowboarding. I would do that just for the social interaction and access to good people.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 01:54:16 PM »
A  friend of mine works at WM and she tells me nothing but horror stories. Most of her coworkers have 'issues', so many of them call out sick regularly but complain they are broke. The customers can be quite a handful at times. The managers seem clueless. The store manager and her crony were under a lot of scrutiny and the higher ups found a lot of problems in the store. These two disappeared from the store under mysterious conditions. The crony is back and the store manager is supposed to be back soon. No one wants to do any work. They only close Christmas day for the entire year. More and more they are doing away with jobs. They have so many self scans now it makes you wonder how long the cashier job will be around. My friend use to have a 'real' job but when we had a recession in 2008 she moved to another state and couldn't find a job. After losing her car and house she bought, she found this WM job. It is one step up from nothing. She is not doing it for fun reasons for sure.

If you were going to go to a big box store I would advise that you do your homework to find out what store will give you the most bang for your buck. Best pay, best discount, best working conditions. Maybe try Costco. They pay well and workers seem to like it there.

I shudder at retail because I am not a people person. I had jobs my whole life that involved working with equipment and doing research. I worked with people but not with customers. Some people love it. What have you got to lose? If you work there two weeks and hate it quit! There are plenty of retail jobs out there. Some people I know work two part time jobs. If you show any enthusiasm are a good worker and show up every day, they will want you to work more days and more hours!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!