Author Topic: Where would you travel?  (Read 28912 times)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where would you travel?
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
I am only traveling a bit more in my first year of FIRE, but I hope to ratchet it up over time.  My husband is not retired, so I'll be doing a lot on my own or with other friends, hopefully. 

There's also basically nowhere I don't want to go (except perhaps Saudi Arabia) but there are places I'm curious about that I've basically never heard of anyone going.  Like going, period, not just going as a traveller/tourist.  Like, anyone here been to Guyana or Suriname? Or Western Sahara or Angola?  Obviously, I can do my own research on these, but just curious to hear from real live people that have been to countries like these that most people would barely recognize the name!

Suriname is a former Dutch colony and popular among Dutch tourists (both for visiting family reasons as for regular tourism) so yes I know HEAPS of people who've been there. There's plenty to see and everyone I know who's been loved it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:12:30 PM by Hirondelle »

sui generis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
I am only traveling a bit more in my first year of FIRE, but I hope to ratchet it up over time.  My husband is not retired, so I'll be doing a lot on my own or with other friends, hopefully. 

There's also basically nowhere I don't want to go (except perhaps Saudi Arabia) but there are places I'm curious about that I've basically never heard of anyone going.  Like going, period, not just going as a traveller/tourist.  Like, anyone here been to Guyana or Suriname? Or Western Sahara or Angola?  Obviously, I can do my own research on these, but just curious to hear from real live people that have been to countries like these that most people would barely recognize the name!

Suriname is a former Dutch colony and popular among Dutch tourists (both for visiting family reasons as for regular tourism) so yes I know HEAPS of people who've been there. There's plenty to see and everyone I know who's been loved it.

Really?  That's cool!  I think I thought most of them probably had slightly unstable governments, lots of poverty or something else that would make them possibly sketchy destinations.  I am moving Suriname higher on my list right now!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2019, 10:06:09 AM »
Recently returned from a 26 day trip to Germany.  We had a great time, mostly staying with family and old friends.  We are considering another trip but need to go to Hawaii first for my son's wedding.

First world problems.

Any highlights to share?

Hamburg, Dresden and Berlin are all on the list for future multi-day stays.  Many great museums to see.  Bremen and Hanover were meah IMO.  Cologne and Koblenz were nice but good for day trips.  We did not get to southern Germany on this trip.  Food was not expensive but boy to they eat a LOT of bread and pastries.  Try a Doner (Gyro meat with lots of veggies and sauce in a pita bread) for around 4 euro.  Great lunch.  There are more historic sites on the old East Germany side, mainly because they were not bulldozed for new development in the 60s and 70s like there were in West Germany.

Mixed emotions on the war history.  My dad was in Norway during the occupation and refused to have anything to do with Germany after that.  Mostly I was able to let it slide past but at times it was very hard.  Encountered a little anti-American and racial prejudice but never felt unsafe.  There is a lot of collective guilt about what happened during the war but, just like here there are people on all sides of the spectrum.  I tried to keep focused on the ancient history (middle ages to pre-roman) and the architecture to keep the emotions down.  But visiting war memorials and sites get a lot of focus with many people.  Thank you, but seeing another boarder crossing/concentration camp/military museum is not what I really want to do.  I studied the history and learned from it, I do not want to relive it.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »
Hamburg, Dresden and Berlin are all on the list for future multi-day stays.  Many great museums to see.  Bremen and Hanover were meah IMO.  Cologne and Koblenz were nice but good for day trips.  We did not get to southern Germany on this trip.  Food was not expensive but boy to they eat a LOT of bread and pastries.  Try a Doner (Gyro meat with lots of veggies and sauce in a pita bread) for around 4 euro.  Great lunch.  There are more historic sites on the old East Germany side, mainly because they were not bulldozed for new development in the 60s and 70s like there were in West Germany.

Mixed emotions on the war history.  My dad was in Norway during the occupation and refused to have anything to do with Germany after that.  Mostly I was able to let it slide past but at times it was very hard.  Encountered a little anti-American and racial prejudice but never felt unsafe.  There is a lot of collective guilt about what happened during the war but, just like here there are people on all sides of the spectrum.  I tried to keep focused on the ancient history (middle ages to pre-roman) and the architecture to keep the emotions down.  But visiting war memorials and sites get a lot of focus with many people.  Thank you, but seeing another boarder crossing/concentration camp/military museum is not what I really want to do.  I studied the history and learned from it, I do not want to relive it.

I'm really surprised that East Germany has more historic areas.  I thought it was the communists that razed history for modernist buildings, but I guess West Germany just had more resources to actually make it happen. 

I had heard that there was a big Turkish influence in Germany, so I guess that adds a dimension to the food. 

I'm more interested in ancient history, too.  I think it gets overlooked a lot.  Really, though, I like to focus on the present when I travel.  I also think it can be unfair to a country to focus so much on the dark parts of their history.  Every country has done something terrible in its past.

Hamsteronaroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
Lots of terrific answers so far.

I know that you canít De-mustachify so Iíll mention a few of the 110 countries Iíve seen that seem WAY cheap to me.  I include only Ďniceí places that arenít grimy....Added my two favorite spots in each country.

Argentina - hands down best of the S Americas if you want to live like a sophisticated Euro, yet pay pennies on the dollar.  Seriously, go. Salta, Buenos Aires.
Bolivia - still super cheap, super interesting scenery and culture, and public bathrooms.  Be prepared to have trouble breathing at that altitude!  Copacabana, La Paz (not so much).
Bosnia - I had no idea this was so mountainous and green, really nice cafe culture. Mostar, Sarajevo (obvious, sorry).
Slovakia - cafes, history, mountains.  Levoca, Kosice.
Colombia - for history, greenery, Euro/Latin feel.  Medellin, Cartagena.
Laos - for Indian subcontinent without too much hassle.  Vientiane, Luang Prabang

Youíll see a ton of stuff about Panama, Ecuador, Thailand -  they just werenít my kind of places.
Great value still...but I do not have personal experience - Ukraine, Indonesia, Mexico.

End of cheap list.

If you are up for grimy travel - Burma, Peru, Cote DíIvoire
If you are interested in going places where no one you know has been - Suriname, Swaziland, N Macedonia
If you want a couple of places that are pretty scary - Equatorial Guinea, Honduras, Pakistan (okay, please donít go)
If you want to visit places that remind you how lucky you are to be first world:  S„o Tomť, Sierra Leone, Guyana.

flyingaway

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2019, 07:44:50 AM »

I know that you canít De-mustachify so Iíll mention a few of the 110 countries Iíve seen that seem WAY cheap to me.  I include only Ďniceí places that arenít grimy....Added my two favorite spots in each country.

Argentina - hands down best of the S Americas if you want to live like a sophisticated Euro, yet pay pennies on the dollar.  Seriously, go. Salta, Buenos Aires.
Bolivia - still super cheap, super interesting scenery and culture, and public bathrooms.  Be prepared to have trouble breathing at that altitude!  Copacabana, La Paz (not so much).
Bosnia - I had no idea this was so mountainous and green, really nice cafe culture. Mostar, Sarajevo (obvious, sorry).
Laos - for Indian subcontinent without too much hassle.  Vientiane, Luang Prabang

Youíll see a ton of stuff about Panama, Ecuador, Thailand -  they just werenít my kind of places.
Great value still...but I do not have personal experience - Ukraine, Indonesia, Mexico.

End of cheap list.

If you are interested in going places where no one you know has been - Suriname, Swaziland, N Macedonia
If you want a couple of places that are pretty scary - Equatorial Guinea, Honduras, Pakistan (okay, please donít go)
If you want to visit places that remind you how lucky you are to be first world:  S„o Tomť, Sierra Leone, Guyana.

Those are very interesting places.
Do you prefer to visit different new places or to good places multiple times?

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »

End of cheap list.

That sounds cool.

You should definitely try Mexico.  There is a lot to see. 

I'm also surprised you didn't mention India.  Thoughts? 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
I have been to some poverty stricken countries and I donít want to repeat it. 2 of my kids went to India and enjoyed it but after hearing their stories itís not for me.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2019, 10:42:30 AM »
I have been to some poverty stricken countries and I donít want to repeat it. 2 of my kids went to India and enjoyed it but after hearing their stories itís not for me.

There are still amazing experiences to be had in poor countries.  I had the best meals of my life in India. 

It is hard to be around the poverty, though.  To each their own when it comes to traveling.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: Today at 11:32:51 AM »
Well Iím off to Kyrgyzstan next week. No real idea what Iíll find there. Looking forward to walking in some mountains.

JoJoP

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: Today at 12:26:52 PM »
The "stan" countries are on my list.  The hospitality is supposed to be amazing, and the food devine. 

We're heading to the South of France for a 2 week trip.   The focus is VERY narrow-- about a 300 mile loop from Marseille to Marseille, adding in some designated "scenic villages," historic and UNESCO sites, a boat tour of the coast,  a couple of national parks, river rafting, caving, hiking and horseback riding.  There's a Roman Amphitheatre and layers of history.  And, of course, eating!  Oh la la, I can't wait! 

My favorite bargain countries are Italy, Slovenia, Greece, South Africa, and Peru.  I haven't been to Colombia or a number of other countries on your list, so I can't weigh in properly.  Mexico has been my second home but the tourist/American always has to beware the scam.    South East Asia is too hot for my taste but scads of ex-pats live amazingly well on pensions or SS there because it is truly inexpensive by Western standards.    I've done some peeking at the Retire Abroad websites and I'm always intrigued. 

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: Today at 02:16:58 PM »
My favorite bargain countries are Italy, Slovenia, Greece, South Africa, and Peru. 

Wow, i'm surprised Italy is on your list of 'bargain' countries.  Italians all love going to Slovenia because it's so cheap (and also beautiful and close by).  It's true that whenever I go to Northern Europe I'm amazed at how expensive everything is up there, especially food.