Author Topic: Where would you travel?  (Read 47205 times)

JoJoP

• Bristles
Re: Where would you travel?
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
I suppose I mentally have some version of tiers in that some countries are more interesting and exciting to me than others.  Been to Mexico?  While I'd still love to hear about your trip, especially if it's to a region I haven't yet traveled, it's not going to get my heart racing quite like someone who says they went to Mongolia.  (I'm also just bitter because I had a Mongolia trip planned and booked and had to cancel three days out due to some work stuff with DH.)

Also, having been to Germany is different than having traveled around Germany, but that's harder to quantify.  I've been to 46 countries.  Some of those, I barely scratched the surface.  (In Romania, for example, I've been to one city for about 8 hours.  I don't count something at all unless it meets the "bite, site, or night" rule--eaten a real meal, visited a tourist site, or spent the night.  And airports don't count at all.)  Others, like Germany where I lived for 3 years, I've been fortunate enough to get to see a lot of, though of course there are still many parts of Germany I didn't explore, in part because I want to 31 other countries during those three year, some of them multiple times.  So I can say I've been to both Romania and Germany, but they way I visited was clearly very different. 

If having "seen" Germany means you went to Oktoberfest in Munich for 2 days, that's like saying someone has been to the US because they went to Disneyworld.  It's not untrue, but it's also not the same has having slowly explored, hit some slightly less touristy places, visited different regions, etc. 

DH and I have set a "50 by 50" goal--50 countries together by the time we are 50 years old.  We are at 44, with two more booked for December.  But in general, most of the easy and obvious places are checked so it does get a bit more challenging.  We've never been to South America together though, and strangely we've never been to Canada together (each of us has been separately, but that doesn't count).  Once we move back to the States next year, Canada will become an easy weekend trip. So I'm optimistic we will make 50b50, but we may be cutting it close.  (We are both 43.)  We've also talked about whether we want to make sure that number 50 is somehow extra special, though I'm not sure what new places there are that would feel perfect as we've already visited most of the priorities on the list.

If you set that 50 by 50 as a goal, I'm sure you'll achieve it!

I getcha about what counts as a visit.  If I were a person who goes on cruises, I think I could hardly count the ports as a visit.   I don't count airports or super brief stays either.   We often travel to off the beaten path destinations.

I like slow travel when possible, but, on the other hand, having just spent 5 weeks in a relatively small area of Greece, I'd say that was enough.    I traveled about 1/3 (110-120ish days)of the past couple of years.   I can't see the whole world in slo-mo, and living abroad has no appeal to me at this point in my life.  I spent many of my younger days imagining living abroad, but now I just love the life I have and wouldn't want to leave it.  I like visiting--savoring a place-- and try to just go slow enough to see the things that interest me without blazing around trying to see everything. I'd rather see less then to rush around.  But, on the other hand...Sometimes it's better just to lay eyes on a place, or have a quick visit,  than to pass it up in favor of a longer visit that may never happen.
 Carpe diem, FIRE crew!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
I suppose I mentally have some version of tiers in that some countries are more interesting and exciting to me than others.  Been to Mexico?  While I'd still love to hear about your trip, especially if it's to a region I haven't yet traveled, it's not going to get my heart racing quite like someone who says they went to Mongolia.  (I'm also just bitter because I had a Mongolia trip planned and booked and had to cancel three days out due to some work stuff with DH.)

Also, having been to Germany is different than having traveled around Germany, but that's harder to quantify.  I've been to 46 countries.  Some of those, I barely scratched the surface.  (In Romania, for example, I've been to one city for about 8 hours.  I don't count something at all unless it meets the "bite, site, or night" rule--eaten a real meal, visited a tourist site, or spent the night.  And airports don't count at all.)  Others, like Germany where I lived for 3 years, I've been fortunate enough to get to see a lot of, though of course there are still many parts of Germany I didn't explore, in part because I want to 31 other countries during those three year, some of them multiple times.  So I can say I've been to both Romania and Germany, but they way I visited was clearly very different. 

If having "seen" Germany means you went to Oktoberfest in Munich for 2 days, that's like saying someone has been to the US because they went to Disneyworld.  It's not untrue, but it's also not the same has having slowly explored, hit some slightly less touristy places, visited different regions, etc. 

DH and I have set a "50 by 50" goal--50 countries together by the time we are 50 years old.  We are at 44, with two more booked for December.  But in general, most of the easy and obvious places are checked so it does get a bit more challenging.  We've never been to South America together though, and strangely we've never been to Canada together (each of us has been separately, but that doesn't count).  Once we move back to the States next year, Canada will become an easy weekend trip. So I'm optimistic we will make 50b50, but we may be cutting it close.  (We are both 43.)  We've also talked about whether we want to make sure that number 50 is somehow extra special, though I'm not sure what new places there are that would feel perfect as we've already visited most of the priorities on the list.

If you set that 50 by 50 as a goal, I'm sure you'll achieve it!

I getcha about what counts as a visit.  If I were a person who goes on cruises, I think I could hardly count the ports as a visit.   I don't count airports or super brief stays either.   We often travel to off the beaten path destinations.

I like slow travel when possible, but, on the other hand, having just spent 5 weeks in a relatively small area of Greece, I'd say that was enough.    I traveled about 1/3 (110-120ish days)of the past couple of years.   I can't see the whole world in slo-mo, and living abroad has no appeal to me at this point in my life.  I spent many of my younger days imagining living abroad, but now I just love the life I have and wouldn't want to leave it.  I like visiting--savoring a place-- and try to just go slow enough to see the things that interest me without blazing around trying to see everything. I'd rather see less then to rush around.  But, on the other hand...Sometimes it's better just to lay eyes on a place, or have a quick visit,  than to pass it up in favor of a longer visit that may never happen.
 Carpe diem, FIRE crew!

I dont generally say I've been to a place unless i was there at least 48 hours, and then I usually say it like "I had a brief stop in Paris" not that I've been to France for example. I figure I should have visited at a few places in a country to say I've been there, unless its a tiny country (like for example if I went to Liechtenstein and spent 3 days in Vaduz I would probably just say Liechtenstein as the other towns are small from what I can gather)

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »
This has truly been an amazing year travel wise:
-Costa Rica 9 days
-The Big Island 8 days
-FL to visit the in-laws at the beach 3 long weekends
-Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Guangzhou for a week to visit
-Northern Michigan for 4th of July week on one of the top 3 lakes in the world
-Living on the lake all summer long (surf/sun/sandbar/repeat)
-Denmark and Sweden for 2 weeks (including 4 days sailing the archipelago)
-Captained our own sailboat from St. Vincent through the Grenadines then over an active underwater volcano to Grenada
-Shanghai and Beijing to explore for a week
-Long weekend in Napa/SF to check out the area
-4 day hiking trip to Yosemite
-Week in Maui (got engage on top of Haleakala, yay!)
-Wrapping up the year with a couple of days in London to check things out then the Ice Hotel north of the Artic circle in Sweden for New Years.

FIRE life is great!  Only thing we didn't get in was a snowboarding trip...

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
We spent a month traveling by car and visiting friends and family with our dogs.  In February we go to New Orleans for 4 days and then hop on a 8 day Caribbean cruise. We are taking 2 big trips a year. We also spent 4 days in placerville which is very beautiful.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »
This has truly been an amazing year travel wise:
-Costa Rica 9 days
-The Big Island 8 days
-FL to visit the in-laws at the beach 3 long weekends
-Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Guangzhou for a week to visit
-Northern Michigan for 4th of July week on one of the top 3 lakes in the world
-Living on the lake all summer long (surf/sun/sandbar/repeat)
-Denmark and Sweden for 2 weeks (including 4 days sailing the archipelago)
-Captained our own sailboat from St. Vincent through the Grenadines then over an active underwater volcano to Grenada
-Shanghai and Beijing to explore for a week
-Long weekend in Napa/SF to check out the area
-4 day hiking trip to Yosemite
-Week in Maui (got engage on top of Haleakala, yay!)
-Wrapping up the year with a couple of days in London to check things out then the Ice Hotel north of the Artic circle in Sweden for New Years.

FIRE life is great!  Only thing we didn't get in was a snowboarding trip...

All in one year?  Holy crap. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
I headed out today for what I hope to be a long van camping trip around the US (combined with checking out new places to live) followed by a long bike tour overseas. Hope to stay in various areas for longer periods of time (month or longer) in cheap rentals and camp in between places or stay in hostels. No plans for specific places and no time limit though so will see how it goes. Hoping to keep expenses around $1500/month (single person) but that's very flexible too. Sold my house last year and recently broke up with BF and elderly pup passed so have nothing thing me to any particular place other than sis and friends in SoCal.
When do you start the Youtube channel?  Seems like FI celebs can make some nice change.
Ha ha. I just found this (again) and the van road trip is currently stalled a bit by weather (temporarily) but bike touring overseas starting in Spring is  looking good.  No YouTube though ;-).

China?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
I headed out today for what I hope to be a long van camping trip around the US (combined with checking out new places to live) followed by a long bike tour overseas. Hope to stay in various areas for longer periods of time (month or longer) in cheap rentals and camp in between places or stay in hostels. No plans for specific places and no time limit though so will see how it goes. Hoping to keep expenses around $1500/month (single person) but that's very flexible too. Sold my house last year and recently broke up with BF and elderly pup passed so have nothing thing me to any particular place other than sis and friends in SoCal.
When do you start the Youtube channel?  Seems like FI celebs can make some nice change.
Ha ha. I just found this (again) and the van road trip is currently stalled a bit by weather (temporarily) but bike touring overseas starting in Spring is  looking good.  No YouTube though ;-).

China?
No. Will start in Europe and visit some family in Sweden...then head north ;-).

I thought you meant you were going somewhere were you wouldn't be able to get to Youtube. 

Sounds nice.  I've got a long list of destinations for FIRE. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2018, 05:07:21 AM »
Just got back from 13 days in Vietnam and Cambodia. I am a little in love with Hoi An, wish we'd had at least one more day in Hanoi (saw tons of sites but didn't have much time to wander and just soak it in), and want to go back to see more of Cambodia than just the Siem Reap area. But it was a marvelous trip and much needed as it's been the only long break from work for Husband all year.  Now I'm home and have to scramble for an international move in less than three weeks!  Eek!!!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »

Mexico is super awesome.

I couldn't agree with you more about Mexico. I've been to most countries in Asia, Europe, and South America, including some of the less popular places like Mongolia and some of the less-traveled "stans", and Mexico is by far my favorite due to its diversity in terms of landscapes, cultures, environments, weather, etc. I am going back there camping for the winter, for the third year in a row. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am overlanding there, instead of flying like I did in my other travels. Never been to Africa although I am born on that continent, but I reserve this one for the end.

lovegoodyu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2018, 04:17:53 PM »
Here's my plan for the first 4 years of retirement:
Travel down entire western Africa by truck
South Africa & Lesotho
Madagascar
Reunion
Mauritius
Seychelles
India
Nepal
Indonesia
Mexico to Panama
All of eastern Europe, from Estonia down to Greece
Hiking the entire Camino de Santiago
Portugal

Lesotho is definitely worth the trip!! I loved it when I went there to see the Malytsunian fall!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
We are going to Northern China for a month this year for CNY.  Cold but the food is amazing!

We got our visas straightened out last year so traveling to China is easy now.

Additional travel plans are not finalized yet but central and southern Europe are high on the list.  Scandinavia is also a strong possibility.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
+1 on Guatemala.  I'm finally going there in November after having it on my list for years.  A safari  in Africa is also on the short list, although I'm not quite sure which country.  My favorite animals to see are elephants, zebras and giraffes.  I welcome suggestions for those.  Went to Kenya years ago...it was great but I'd like to go elsewhere.

I've lived in South Africa and Kenya is my home country but you can definitely get a glimpse of most of these animals on any of the countries on the Eastern side of Africa, south of the equator. South Africa is your best bet if you want something different but still want to go on Safari.

My only con for South Africa is that it's pretty much like America or Europe but with the wildlife. If that's what you are seeking, go.

I'd also recommend Tanzania from what I've heard.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
Last year we travelled a bit in Africa to Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania. Previously we went the Sth Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

I really loved the Serengeti in Tanzania. It’s a place I had wanted to go to my whole life and the amount and wildlife is really incredible. It’s insanely expensive, but a trip of a lifetime. Ngorongoro Crate is next to the Serengeti and it is jam packed with animals. So much so it felt a little bit like visiting a massive zoo. Whilst the density of animals there was really impressive, it was the vast plains of the Serengeti that stole my heart.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
Last year we travelled a bit in Africa to Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania. Previously we went the Sth Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

I really loved the Serengeti in Tanzania. It’s a place I had wanted to go to my whole life and the amount and wildlife is really incredible. It’s insanely expensive, but a trip of a lifetime. Ngorongoro Crate is next to the Serengeti and it is jam packed with animals. So much so it felt a little bit like visiting a massive zoo. Whilst the density of animals there was really impressive, it was the vast plains of the Serengeti that stole my heart.

I'm really interested in seeing Africa.  So many countries there almost never appear as travel destinations, and there have to be as many amazing things as all the places you hear about in countries with better marketing. 

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
A few years ago I bicycled across the Americas with my two brothers. Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina. Bikepacking so we had the tent and stove and everything we needed, but happily accepted the frequent invitations of strangers to sleep in their home or barn and made a lot of memories. Once you travel in this manner (very mustachian by the way! I've never had more frugal adventures) I don't think any other method measures up.

My bikepacking shortlist of places I have never been:

Italy
Norway
The Himalayas

Places I will never get tired of returning to:

Ecuador
Colombia
Bend, Oregon
White Mountains, New Hampshire
Anywhere in California
All I can say is WOW WOW WOW.  If you have a blog about it or something would love to know,!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:23:59 PM by Dibdab »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:38 AM »

I'm really interested in seeing Africa.  So many countries there almost never appear as travel destinations, and there have to be as many amazing things as all the places you hear about in countries with better marketing.

We loved Ethiopia, and it’s not so heavily touristed. Lalibela is truly incredible, and the country has such a deep history, culturally diversity  and beautiful mountains. So much to see. Addis is not the nicest city in the world but is still a really interesting place to visit, particularly the city market (Merkato).

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »

We loved Ethiopia, and it’s not so heavily touristed. Lalibela is truly incredible, and the country has such a deep history, culturally diversity  and beautiful mountains. So much to see. Addis is not the nicest city in the world but is still a really interesting place to visit, particularly the city market (Merkato).

I've seen pictures of Ethiopia and it looks stunning. 

If restaurants in the US are any indicator, I think I would go to Ethiopia based on the food alone, though.  Did you have anything good there?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
The food wasn’t the best part of Ethiopia. Teff is a bit of an acquired taste. We did go to a tourist restaurant and had a great feast of teff with many, many accompaniments of various curried meats, vegetables etc. That meal was great, but in more rural (poorer) areas the food is quite simple.

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »
A few years ago I bicycled across the Americas with my two brothers. Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina. Bikepacking so we had the tent and stove and everything we needed, but happily accepted the frequent invitations of strangers to sleep in their home or barn and made a lot of memories. Once you travel in this manner (very mustachian by the way! I've never had more frugal adventures) I don't think any other method measures up.

My bikepacking shortlist of places I have never been:

Italy
Norway
The Himalayas

Places I will never get tired of returning to:

Ecuador
Colombia
Bend, Oregon
White Mountains, New Hampshire
Anywhere in California
All I can say is WOW WOW WOW.  If you have a blog about it or something would love to know,!
@Abel is familiar with Crazy Guy On A Bike web site but if you've never heard of it check out the journal section. Some very cool stories. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/
Great site !  Thanks!

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2019, 02:38:59 AM »
I'm been to around 40 countries so far. My working life has me traveling to what someone would call sh!thole countries, so when I'm not working I prefer to go to places where I'm unlikely to be kidnapped or catch Malaria!

My current favourites are cheaper western Europe (Portugal and Spain) and eastern Europe.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »
We have travelled a tonne, and blown a lot of $$$ travelling, but still I have no trouble writing a list of trips I’d like to take over the next 30 years, averaging about 90 days of overseas travel a year. It won’t happen like it appears on a list, but I like making lists (with budgets haha). Domestic travel would be on top of thes international trips, amd there is so much for us to see in Oz. I’ll die before I run out of places I want to visit.

I think we have visited around 70 countries. We will see what 2019 brings. Depends if we FIRE or not.

Some places we haven’t been to yet that are right at the top of our list are Japan, Mexico, Iceland, Croatia, Spain (we have only visited Madrid and Majorca previously) and NYC (we have only visited California, Washington state, Montana, Wyoming, Hawaii and Alaska previously). 70 countries and we haven’t even spent any time at some of the main tourist countries/ cities in the world.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:13:53 AM by itchyfeet »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
The food wasn’t the best part of Ethiopia. Teff is a bit of an acquired taste. We did go to a tourist restaurant and had a great feast of teff with many, many accompaniments of various curried meats, vegetables etc. That meal was great, but in more rural (poorer) areas the food is quite simple.

I spent 7 weeks in Ethiopia a year ago and agree, the food was good but got old really fast.  My favorite was the "fasting food" which had no meat and more variety.  I can't believe I ate raw fish and raw meat too.  Here are some of the foods I ate:
https://thehotflashpacker.com/ethiopian-food-drink/

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »

Was it the teff or the fact that injera is fermented like sourdough bread?  I admit that's not something everybody's going to love. 

I spent 7 weeks in Ethiopia a year ago and agree, the food was good but got old really fast.  My favorite was the "fasting food" which had no meat and more variety.  I can't believe I ate raw fish and raw meat too.  Here are some of the foods I ate:
https://thehotflashpacker.com/ethiopian-food-drink/

We're kind of spoiled in the US for variety.  I can get Chinese bokchoi, Korea kimchi, Bangladeshi cookies, Nigerian yams, Mexican papayas, and lots of other items from around the world within a few miles of my house.  I don't even live in a major metropolitan area, either.  It's easy to forget that a lot of the world doesn't see anything close to that kind of variety.

I can't believe you ate raw fish and beef, too.  I'm hesitant on that in a developed country, less yet a poor country like Ethiopia.  Do you think you would do it again, or were you tempting the fates?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:01:38 AM by dougules »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »
Fresh injera in a good restaurant is ok. Very good even. 3 day old injera in a small rural restaurant not so good.

Don’t get me wrong we enjoyed trying everything that was put in front of us, but Ethiopia won’t be remembered by us as a culinary destination.

What I will most remember Ethiopia for is the history, and how clean the place is. It has to be the cleanest developing country I’ve been to. We had an awesome time in Ethiopia and have been encouraging our friends to ignore the press, making it sound so dangerous, and go and have a look before the tourist hordes descend.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »
As for the raw stuff, even the locals made sure we were getting the freshest of the fresh, and we always had drank some sort of liquor after, even if it was in the morning :)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2019, 12:00:50 AM »
Just got back from another month in China.  Gotta love FIRE!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »
Just got back from another month in China.  Gotta love FIRE!

Thanks for sharing.  I need to live vicariously until I get there. 

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »
That rocks @Threshkin!  You're living life as you want to!

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
We will visit Columbia next week for 8 days, including Cartagena, Santa Marta, and Minca.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
We will visit Columbia next week for 8 days, including Cartagena, Santa Marta, and Minca.

Colombia is definitely on my short list.  Please tell us about it when you get back.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15:45 AM »

....Crazy Guy On A Bike web site but if you've never heard of it check out the journal section. Some very cool stories. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/

^^ I'll check that out.

I did some bike BnB in France. Back in the 90's I had a good guide for their Gites and stayed at the equivalent of 2*.

Today with online AirBnB it would probably be even easier.

The Loire Valley was beautiful & easy. We passed tourist groups followed by a van paying hundreds a day for a similar experience.
Around Aix in Province was more hilly but still nice.

I would be up for a Dutch trip in FIRE (maybe even before).   

After loosing a friend in a cycling accident I would probably limit myself to dedicated bike paths now therefore greatly limiting where I could go.

Any tips on safe cycling places?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »
A couple of years ago we cycled the Danube from Passau in germany to Budapest. This is a really easy and beautiful cycle.

The first half to Vienna is really nice despite the fact that it’s very popular, through the vineyards and villages etc.

From viemma to Budapest there were few cyclists so this made a nice contrast. A lot of the cycling on this part was away from the river through farming land, so was less scenic but still very pleasant and the Slovakian and Hungarian towns we stayed in were all really nice.

However, if people said they could only do one week I would recommend the first section from Passau to Vienna. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and ignore the hundred of other bikes making the same trip..

Versatile

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2019, 06:27:13 PM »
Australia! I'm leaving for ten days this month which excites the hell out of me.

What I am not interested in is the 15 hour flight but I'll suffer through, haha. I've never met an Australian I didn't like so I'm going to say the whole lot of them are wonderful people.

I'm going to the Katoomba region and staying at an airBNB which was really reasonable. I'm also excited about taking the train out of Central Station as I have never ridden a train before in my life.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
Australia! I'm leaving for ten days this month which excites the hell out of me.

What I am not interested in is the 15 hour flight but I'll suffer through, haha. I've never met an Australian I didn't like so I'm going to say the whole lot of them are wonderful people.

I'm going to the Katoomba region and staying at an airBNB which was really reasonable. I'm also excited about taking the train out of Central Station as I have never ridden a train before in my life.

I wish that we were all wonderful people, hopefully all the ones you meet are :)

Versatile

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2019, 08:05:51 PM »

I wish that we were all wonderful people, hopefully all the ones you meet are :)

I'm going with the attitude all you guys are great and I promise not to order a shit beer like Fosters. ;)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2019, 10:27:44 PM »

I'm going with the attitude all you guys are great and I promise not to order a shit beer like Fosters. ;)

haha I dont think you would be able to order it, I have yet to see it for sale in a pub anywhere in Australia. Though I have never been to Katoomba

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2019, 03:41:38 AM »
We're planning a trip to Germany or Austria this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any kid-friendly recommendations?  My sister will be with us and she has young kids (1.5 and 4) and my kids are 7 and 10.  We thought about Playmobil funpark.  But they also like the idea of Berlin.  I've never been to Austria and the mountains sound nice and cool.  Any thoughts?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2019, 07:05:13 AM »
At each of those ages my kid was happiest doing what she liked to do in her real life:  going to an age appropriate playground where there would be other kids, riding a bike on a bike path, people watching, eating her favorite foods, walking around an urban area in the evening.  Big events, like an amusement park, were okay once in w awhile but they were expensive and exhausting and not nearly as fun as making a a temporary friend at a playground.  We would just go where we wanted to go, but with the idea of stopping along the way at anything fun...like a pocket park.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »

Colombia is definitely on my short list.  Please tell us about it when you get back.

Columbia is a safe country. People are friendly. Everything is good for the trip. I visited Cartagena, Santa Marta, Minca, and Tayrona National Natural Park. The beaches are wonderful.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2019, 05:47:31 AM »
Australia is and always has been my first choice but I want to add to my list now Finland and New Zealand as well. I personally wouldn't do well in the Asian countries or India because just to many people for me.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2019, 10:54:54 AM »

Columbia is a safe country. People are friendly. Everything is good for the trip. I visited Cartagena, Santa Marta, Minca, and Tayrona National Natural Park. The beaches are wonderful.

Any highlights or pictures?  I was hoping for a little bit of vicarious travel. 

Lukim

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2019, 12:22:36 AM »
Versatile,

How was the trip to Katoomba?

I have been there many times (most recently in December 2018).

I cannot believe it was your first trip on a train! Central to Katoomba is a nice 2 hour ride, but not an epic journey.

I did an 8 hour train ride in Java last week - that was a lot of fun (but I have done that journey about 10 times but it still keeps me enthralled looking out the window).  Hopefully in a couple of months will do the full length of Java by train over 3 days.

For Australian beers, I think the Tasmanian beer (Cascade and James Boag) are the best.

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2019, 05:53:31 AM »
Hi

I did travel overland from Jakarta all the way to east Java (my! those distances are misleading...Indonesia is seriously big!)...when i reached the east, i thought why not? and took a ferry hop across to Bali...would have kept hopping islands (always like the name Gili islands and Lombok and Komodo dragons wow!) but never made it...

Maybe when DH retires, we can do just that!

BTW i would love to go back also to Northern India ..the Kashmir Kulu Valley  Simla area...ah!  Heaven on earth:))))...that was 20 years ago tho:((

And my DD says i must absolutely go to Japan...and so i will !

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »
I've been in Eastern Europe for a few months now and enjoying it! Bulgaria and Romania specifically. Friendly people, good food (Mediterranean, Turkish and European influences) and very affordable prices. Would definitely recommend for an off the beaten path European destination!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
I am only traveling a bit more in my first year of FIRE, but I hope to ratchet it up over time.  My husband is not retired, so I'll be doing a lot on my own or with other friends, hopefully. 

There's also basically nowhere I don't want to go (except perhaps Saudi Arabia) but there are places I'm curious about that I've basically never heard of anyone going.  Like going, period, not just going as a traveller/tourist.  Like, anyone here been to Guyana or Suriname? Or Western Sahara or Angola?  Obviously, I can do my own research on these, but just curious to hear from real live people that have been to countries like these that most people would barely recognize the name!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2019, 01:21:11 PM »
Guyana or Suriname?

I've been to French Guiana in the early 80s, and really thought about moving there which is, as a French citizen (I also have Canadian and birth citizenship from a former French colony that I keep just for fun), is a piece of cake. The capital, Cayenne, felt oddly very much French, a bit like Fort-de-France or Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon (another place to check out for you), but as soon as you get out of the city, you are in unknown territory, a mix of lawlessness and easy life. I felt anything was possible, as in making a ton of money doing something on the border of being legal, or losing everything and getting stuck there forever, living in a wooden hut with an extended family. I really hate flying but I would love to go back and check it out again.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »
Fascinating!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:45 AM »
Guyana or Suriname?

I've been to French Guiana in the early 80s, and really thought about moving there which is, as a French citizen (I also have Canadian and birth citizenship from a former French colony that I keep just for fun), is a piece of cake. The capital, Cayenne, felt oddly very much French, a bit like Fort-de-France or Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon (another place to check out for you), but as soon as you get out of the city, you are in unknown territory, a mix of lawlessness and easy life. I felt anything was possible, as in making a ton of money doing something on the border of being legal, or losing everything and getting stuck there forever, living in a wooden hut with an extended family. I really hate flying but I would love to go back and check it out again.

I want to go there just so I can say I've been across the new bridge between France and Brazil. 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2019, 04:07:57 PM »
Recently returned from a 26 day trip to Germany.  We had a great time, mostly staying with family and old friends.  We are considering another trip but need to go to Hawaii first for my son's wedding.

First world problems.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Recently returned from a 26 day trip to Germany.  We had a great time, mostly staying with family and old friends.  We are considering another trip but need to go to Hawaii first for my son's wedding.

First world problems.

Any highlights to share?