Author Topic: What do you regret giving up? or What haven't you given up?  (Read 7614 times)

Frznrth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What do you regret giving up? or What haven't you given up?
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:26 AM »
Hi
I am unfortunately a long long way from FIRE but I am fascinated by the idea and am starting to think more along this line and am slowly making some changes.  I'm curious if there is anything that you "regret" giving up even a bit?  Or are there "luxuries" that you made sure you could afford?

Personally I would have a hard time not buying at least decent hockey tickets.  I don't go to many games (2 or 3) a year but when I do go I really enjoy sitting in decent - and sadly as hockey tickets go rather expensive seats. 

Thanks for your time.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: What do you regret giving up? or What haven't you given up?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
re: b) Haven't given up/luxury I make sure to afford: Car.

I didn’t have one until I was 39. I love love love having it and have zero desire to go without it, so I won’t. (Also glad I waited that long, as that was big savings in the meantime, plus creativity, exercise, etc.) I spend relatively little on everything else, including housing, and keep this one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:07:04 AM by joonifloofeefloo »

RayO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
The only things I can think of “regretting” giving up are travel and a fancy gym membership. I haven’t been able to give up coffee and eating out once a week/“date night”.

My husband and I have gone on one overnight trip to go hiking, otherwise we haven’t gone anywhere for vacation in over two years. We are lucky enough to have lots of activities we enjoy near our home, and we have agreed to hold off on any big trips until debt is paid off.

I miss the 24 hour gym I used to belong to (I’m up at 4:30 am and many gyms aren’t open yet at that time). Yoga, pilates classes etc were included. The thing I miss most is after my workout I could sit in the eucalyptus scented steam room or the hot tub for a few minutes before my shower. It felt like I had 24/7 access to a spa.

I definitely have a much larger list of things I’ve given up that I don’t miss at all or have been able to replace more cheaply or for free.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
What haven't I given up?
Books -
but, I have learned to use the online library, no late fees that way either. I reduced my new book buying by 70/80%.
Instead, I shifted to treat myself occasionally to a new book and having an expensive coffee at my local B&N.
Coffee -
I like good coffee, no compromises there.
Well, pre MMM I might have bought one of those fancy coffee machines. I'd still like one, but I'm not getting one until I reach my current savings goal - probably late 2019. 
By then who knows if I still want it, but if I do - I may well get it.

I don't regret giving up anything -
but I sure had an agonizingly hard time giving up buying jewelry I couldn't afford. See the gazingus pin thread for all of us spendy pants trying to mend our ways - it ain't about the money or the stuff, ever.

It is all a process - with time your perspective changes. Hanging out in the challenge (gauntlet threads) had a way of influencing and motivating me to do better and reach heretofore unimagined - downright lofty goals, way past paying off debt:)

It's all about setting new priorities - no one can have it all. It's just that it takes time to learn to make better choices, without feeling sorry for yourself.
I tell myself that my current state of affairs is due to a slew of decisions I made over decades - in other words - consequences baby - consequences, of past poor decisions and bad luck-unfortunate circumstances.

Actually, it no longer occurs to me to ask the question of what I have stopped doing or given up because I'm way too thrilled about how well I am doing.

If, there really were something I couldn't live without - I can decide to see it as a temporary situation, one I will reverse once I am financially able. If not, well, that is reality baby - accept it and if you cannot, keep working either on acceptance or find a way to have your cake and eat it too.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:40:02 AM by Rosy »

Frita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
The only things I have given up is my career in education and living in a backwards safe state/town/place for our 13 year old to finish middle and high schools.  Once he's done, ¡Hasta la vista!  My husband and son both like the town.  Not working comes easy to my spouse too.

Our numbers worked out long ago.  We kept working because we were older parents.  Big mistake as that puts us over the ACA cliff.  We paid for insurance for a couple years ($200+, for the cheapest and crappy coverage) before just going without.  We pay out of pocket for everything but take excellent care of our health.  This was our biggest mistake.  Do not do this!

This summer we went to Ireland and Northern for five weeks.  We eat good food and have quality coffee and beer (meals mostly prepared by me).  My husband has season tickets for football and basketball (decent seats, not a box or premium).  We occasionally go out to eat or go to the movies.  We just got a used conversation van we plan to take on some epic road trips over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and this summer to the Pacific Northwest. We participate in the secondhand exchanges in our town.  (I will buy things but usually give away.). We have a vehicle but usually walk or ride bikes. 

I am a third-generation frugalista.   My husband has improved since he quit working.  Our son goes in waves.  He really likes Starbucks and spends his own money on it.  I pay him 50% of the savings for sale clothing/shoes and used school supplies.  He also has a snow shoveling business. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »
I did a lot of things that I wouldn't do again, but regret nothing. The  main takeaway is that once you dig in and get going, you can mistakes along the way and still recover. Don't stress, just get started and keep at it. In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd be rich, but here I am. The destination is worth the journey.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 05:41:08 AM »
I did a lot of things that I wouldn't do again, but regret nothing. The  main takeaway is that once you dig in and get going, you can mistakes along the way and still recover. Don't stress, just get started and keep at it. In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd be rich, but here I am. The destination is worth the journey.

Same for me. I currently live pretty much the way I always did, although I did give up buying lunch at work. But I have done that pre MMM as well when the cafeteria at work wasn't inspiring. And gradually we just started to become rich. It is only when you sometimes speak to another person about it that they think it is really weird that you save so much per year.

What I do regret a bit is selling our former el cheapo house. It would have been a much better financial decision to have kept living there. But that was pre MMM when we suddenly discovered that we could afford a big clown house and pay cash. I regret making that decision.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »
What I do regret a bit is selling our former el cheapo house. It would have been a much better financial decision to have kept living there. But that was pre MMM when we suddenly discovered that we could afford a big clown house and pay cash. I regret making that decision.

If I'm remembering her situation correctly, you might have more in common with @Dicey than you thought!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »

If I'm remembering her situation correctly, you might have more in common with @Dicey than you thought!
You're right @Bird In Hand, but mine wasn't really optional. If I ever get off my lazy ass and wrap up some of the loose ends in my journal, I will get to this story, but here's the short-ish version for now:

When DH and I eloped, we both had affordable two-story houses without downstairs bedrooms. Three weeks later, his dad died and we realized his mom had dementia and couldn't live on her own. We made the hard decision to sell both houses, buy something more suitable for his mom's needs, and move her in with us. What we found was a crazy beautiful custom clown house just a short walk from DH's work. Come to think of it, there is more to the story.

The house was a spec house, built by someone I knew through my dear friend, who is a badass realtor. When the builder finished the house in 2007, my friend held it open and I toured it. I stood at the kitchen island, placed my palms on the cool granite counter and thought, "This house is so beautiful. Who wouldn't want to live here?" My rational brain did the math and quickly decided that there was no way it was going to be me, as I didn't want to work that hard. I never dreamed that five years later, I'd be married(!) and buying the house. The builder didn't get an offer he liked before the market tanked, so he moved into it himself. When he finally decided to short sale the house in 2012, we bought it for significantly less than the original asking price. The kicker is that my husband's office is at the end of the street, which I did not know when I married him. I knew who he worked for, but not exactly where. Crazy!

Our clown house is not a regret at all, despite property taxes that are double what we were paying on the other two houses combined. Were it not for his mom's needs, we would never have bought it. Six years later, when we come home, we still joke, "What a lovely house! I wonder who lives here?"

When his mom gets to the end of her journey and DH retires*, we will sell it with no regrets. Happily, it has appreciated significantly, so we should be fine, despite the wicked tax bill and maintenance costs.

*Note to IRP: We're FI and I'm RE, but sometimes life hands you a curveball. DH is the kind of guy who would go nuts without enough to do. As long as we're not free to live our first choice lives, he may as well keep working. Fortunately, he really likes his job, which pays well, has excellent benefits, and very low stress. He jokes he has to go to work so he can relax.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 08:13:02 AM »
I feel like this MMM post covers my thoughts pretty well:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/11/23/not-extreme-frugality/

For me the biggest influence MMM has had on my life is realizing that the idea of giving up something is the wrong way to think about it, at least for me.  When I downgraded my TV service, I didn't see it as giving up TV - rather, I saw it as gaining time to do things that were more important to me.  When I gave up taking my car in to the shop when something was wrong and trying to fix it myself, I gained skills, confidence, and pride that I was able to fix things on my own.  Ok, with that one I also gained some scraped knuckles and a new appreciation for swearing...

If I consider giving something up and realize I truly care about it, then I don't give it up.  And by giving up things that were not really making my life better I've freed up a huge amount of money so I can more easily afford the things that really do make my life better.  By giving up going out to eat as often as I did (which wasn't really very often actually) I freed up more than I needed to buy a sous vide machine, a better chef's knife, and a few other small kitchen tools.  I've developed skills, improved my health, and saved money all at the same time. 

I do need to admit that I'm fortunate to have a good income (engineering), so the things I was giving up were more on the "luxury" end of the spectrum.  For those with low incomes I imagine the trade-offs are much more difficult. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »
I would love to hear more people's "regret giving up" or "haven't given up" (besides "nothing"). I enjoy the posts that define those. Anyone else got any??

frugalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Single and Enjoying the FIRE
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
OK here's my regret:

I posted a question to the Mustachians a few weeks ago about whether to move to a cheaper house so I can start building a nest egg of a different sort. 

Here's the link if anyone cares to read it:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/49-y-female-housing-decision-needed/

Honestly,  I have not slept well since then.  I KNOW I regret not making the move but am waiting for the tenant who is in there and has only a month to month lease to give me notice.  They are a nice family that takes care of the property (just visited 3 days ago) pays early but gosh....that $1370 I am paying in my rent vs the $550 they are paying is KILLING me.   LOL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:40:09 PM by frugalone »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 03:49:39 PM »
for many years we drove old cars, passed down clothes when the kids were little, rarely ate out, our only vacation was to drive 1k miles to see family.  Now our life is very different. By the time the kids were teens we were able to give them some new things in moderation. Once they launched we started to travel some. For the past 6 years we have been taking 1-2 big trips a year to Europe, cruises, big driving trips, etc. We eat out twice a week for dinner and go to festivals, etc.  I am glad to have made the sacrifices to make our older years more fun.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 03:38:22 AM »
I don't regret giving up anything. If I didn't want to give it up, I wouldn't have. :)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 04:25:15 AM »
I refuse to give up my friendships. I've moved A LOT over the past years and done some extended stays abroad (for study, work & slow travel). This has resulted in a group of friends that geographically very spread out, but I prioritize to see them whenever I can. Many of those people I see only once a year or even less, so when I they invite me for whatever (as long as it's small-scale) I do everything I can to show up. This results in me:
- Taking the train to my hometown at least monthly (luckily 1-2 other friends live on the way so I can meet up with them too!)
- Taking a train across the country regularly for whatever celebration/party they invite me to.
- Fly or train or bus around Europe to meet up with people
- Fly across the world or take huuuge detours to meet someone if I'm in their continent/country anyways.
- Drop everything as soon as one of my intercontinental friends says he/she will be in Europe on X date for X days. No matter what - I'll be there.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
Would it be wrong to say I regret giving up not caring about money? While I didn't spend a bunch before, I definitely cared a lot less about spending money on whatever I wanted whenever it appealed to me. I used to go and buy a video game here and there. Not anymore. We used to go out to a restaurant without a freebie coupon or some kickback. I wasn't always trying to work the system because I just didn't care as much as I do now.

I was a sucka consumer in a lot of little ways. There was a peace of mind that was going to enslave me for years, but sometimes I miss the peace of mind part of it.

(Note that I fully understand the peace of mind that will come with developed badassity.)

I also gave up unnecessary doctorate-level education because there was not value in it for me, but I like learning, the classroom environment, and the camaraderie that goes with it.

Hikester

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
I gave up commuting, stress, lack of sleep and many of my interests. But seriously, I never felt a great deal of joy getting better and more fancy things as my income grew. What I did gain in freedom after FIRE is way more than I expected.  I guess I was a Mustachian inside even before I learned about MMM. And now it’s like I found my tribe. The reserved parking spot at work, hmmm. ..... not. I am struggling to really come up with something I miss or gave up. Those little things are nowhere close to the sense of having a free life (for me). Maybe I am the wrong person to ask this question to.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 07:23:33 PM »
Maybe I am the wrong person to ask this question to.

There's a second question in the subject line and OP. That's the one I answered :)

foghorn

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
The one thing that have not given up is my high end audio system. 

I am a (self described) audiophile and my one truly "prized possession" is my stereo system.  I have backed off buying and having other things that I once thought I needed.  But, the joy I get out of listening to music I love - reproduced in a superior manner is something I really look forward to.  In fact, in about 20 minutes I will be heading down to spend several hours in front of my system while enjoying an adult beverage (or three).  It is my "therapy time" for the week.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:12:46 PM by foghorn »

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:50 AM »
To me, FIRE is about 100% of your income going towards your happiness, whether it's your happiness now or your happiness in the future.

So I wouldn't say that I gave up anything. A lot of my purchases were not doing a very good job at making me happy so, instead of wasting my money, I now put that money towards my future happiness (i.e. buying investments for financial independence, which won't make me happy but will  enable me to take advantage of opportunities that will!).

However it's obviously not all or nothing, and so it becomes a question of the dollar-happiness-ratio (like the cost-benefit-ratio)! For example, buying a few coffees a day would make me happier but the ratio goes down significantly after the first coffee.

Constantly referring to the ratio has stopped me from having any regrets!

However I have to constantly re-evaluate the ratio for three main things: yearly overseas trips, a car, and a nicer place to live. In this sense I have given these things up, and I will continue to do so while the ratio doesn't really make sense.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:26:06 AM by aGracefulStomp »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

I am a (self described) audiophile and my one truly "prized possession" is my stereo system.  I have backed off buying and having other things that I once thought I needed.  But, the joy I get out of listening to music I love - reproduced in a superior manner is something I really look forward to.  In fact, in about 20 minutes I will be heading down to spend several hours in front of my system while enjoying an adult beverage (or three).  It is my "therapy time" for the week.

Do you have good acoustics in your living room? My DH is good at this and he sometimes wonders why people spend a hell of a lot of money on a super fancy audio system while the acoustics in the room could be improved for a relative cheap sum, only you know what to do.

Highbeam

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
Top Ramen. I really miss top ramen. I think it's healthy not to eat it but I really miss it.

foghorn

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »

Do you have good acoustics in your living room? My DH is good at this and he sometimes wonders why people spend a hell of a lot of money on a super fancy audio system while the acoustics in the room could be improved for a relative cheap sum, only you know what to do.

My audio room is a dedicated room just for my system.  There is one chair in the perfect place and no other furniture or anything between the speakers and me.  Your DH is certainly right that a poor set up can ruin a great system.  I have taken a lot of time get the room just right, sometimes moving the speakers or my chair 1/2 inch at a time to assess the impact on depth, sound staging, imaging, etc.  With that said, no room is perfect and moving walls, etc. is not really an option.   

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
Top Ramen. I really miss top ramen. I think it's healthy not to eat it but I really miss it.

LOL because I was just thinking about how delicious a bowl of cheap ramen noodles would be, now that it’s turned cold!

LibrarianFuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
Can't give up going to the movie theater.

Every Sunday night I seem to suffer from some serious blues. I don't know if it's because I'm facing another work week, or I feel like a failure based on the current week's misadventures, or exactly what the issue is. If I don't do something about it, I can end up literally crying myself to sleep. It's not pretty. 

The ONLY thing that seems to help is going to a movie. It doesn't matter what one. I get lost in the story, and I am very comforted by the presence of other people sitting in the theater. I feel less alone. Watching a DVD at home does not have the same effect at all.

Movie theaters in my area currently charge $13.75 on a "premium" night. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday.) So, this is a $715/year expense. I have no idea how to solve this problem or why going to the movies works for me, so I continue to spend this money and try not to feel bad about it.

At least I don't buy concessions. I do sneak in sodas or candy, occasionally.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
I'm not post FIRE yet, but one thing I won't give up is my motorcycle, and long camping trips on it.  If I can't do that then I will work a bit longer until I can.  It is soul restoring and revitalising, even when on extended leave.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »
I love hearing what is soul-restoring for people :)

@LibrarianFuzz, your post was so eloquent and touching! I'm really glad you found something that feels healing, that is accessible each Sunday eve.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »

Every Sunday night I seem to suffer from some serious blues. I don't know if it's because I'm facing another work week, or I feel like a failure based on the current week's misadventures, or exactly what the issue is. If I don't do something about it, I can end up literally crying myself to sleep. It's not pretty. 

The ONLY thing that seems to help is going to a movie. It doesn't matter what one. I get lost in the story, and I am very comforted by the presence of other people sitting in the theater. I feel less alone. Watching a DVD at home does not have the same effect at all.

Movie theaters in my area currently charge $13.75 on a "premium" night. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday.) So, this is a $715/year expense. I have no idea how to solve this problem or why going to the movies works for me, so I continue to spend this money and try not to feel bad about it.

Check Samsclub.com; they have a lot of movie tickets much cheaper (usually around $9/ticket) and ship free.  The membership can usually be found deeply discounted and you'd save yourself over $200 a year.  If that's not an option, sometimes these things are akin to therapy and in that case, it's money well spent.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
My parents, who are comfortably off, not big spenders, and quite Mustachian without being aware that it's an actual thing, have both been retired for over 15 years and have continued to have a car each and to choose cars which, though not large or fancy, are high-spec enough to be pleasant to drive. This is despite the fact that we managed with one family car until my sibling and I were well into our teens. I'm not sure whether DH and I will follow their example after we're both retired, although we'll keep two cars while either of us is working.

I don't anticipate giving up eating out. We aren't into fancy dining, but when we're out on long bike rides we like to stop for a good meal at a restaurant rather than eating malt loaf and squashed bananas from our jersey pockets washed down with bidon-water.

I don't plan to give up spending money on doing sports while I'm still able. This may even increase, as I'll have time to do more races, go on more bike rides, climb enough to justify an annual subscription to the climbing wall, travel the world to compete internationally as a Masters athlete ... OK, that last one's a fantasy.

I also plan, at least initially, to do enough work to maintain my professional qualification. I'd hate to give that up then regret it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 02:33:46 AM »

Check Samsclub.com; they have a lot of movie tickets much cheaper (usually around $9/ticket) and ship free.  The membership can usually be found deeply discounted and you'd save yourself over $200 a year.  If that's not an option, sometimes these things are akin to therapy and in that case, it's money well spent.
Ditto for Costco. Otherwise, put it in your budget, cut something else if necessary, and don't worry about it. It sounds like cheap therapy. I hope the job situation improves.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 04:29:48 AM »
I guess I never really gave anything up, because I never escalated my standard of living over the years much.  I never got into having the lastest electronics or fancy cars.  I did finally get a smartphone last year. 

I take pleasure in every day simple things, like the coffee my partner prepares and brings to my bedside each morning.  I eat really good food, and don't do many restaurants because they just aren't as good/fresh as what I make particularly in the summer when I pick ingredients from my garden.

I don't feel I've really "given up" much at all:  we've taken vacations every year, have a warm house on a few acres, reliable cars, some electronics  and fun stuff.  Just didn't do high end, or make multiple purchases of newer/better.  Not really my style anyways.   I'm in my late 50s and ready to retire next year, while my mid 60ish sister will be working until she's 80 due to her debt load.  She used to chide me when we were younger for not getting a new car every other year like she did, or driving a Honda instead of a BMW.    Little bit (and not so little bits) add up over time.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 03:57:14 AM »
One thing I gave up but I was not using it anymore was our cabin. I miss it quite often but even now I would not be able to get up there as it was my favorite place. Was a place we use to use at least 20xs a year, owned and made it our own over 18 years and have alot of family memories up there. The time will come again when all the kids are out of the house but to replace it we are going to move to the mountains by water and live out our days there. Preferably Western NC or Eastern Tn.

Another thing I gave up that slowly eroded away of being important was just that. In running a company I was needed and felt a sense of importance. Now those just have changed and my value is worth more as I am needed and more important by loved ones.

I did not gave up my Gym membership but changed from a place I loved to the YMCA. The place I used to go before Fired was 2.5 xs as much money and I miss the people I saw everyday. The YMCA is nice but people are so so. The trade of though that is nice is when I do travel domestically I always go to the YMCA's to workout and its actually fun to see the differences.

Other than that the only thing I could even thing about is "will this fit in my budget". But the good thing I have found is i dont waste money and that feeling comes around less and less.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2018, 04:16:33 AM »
Massages. I love them and was getting them regularly but they’re expensive, around $180 each and I’ve given them up. I miss them but can’t justify them like I used to do.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
Massages. I love them and was getting them regularly but they’re expensive, around $180 each and I’ve given them up.

Wow, those ARE expensive.  Around here, its 70-75 dollars for a 50 minute massage.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!