Author Topic: What do you love about FI or FIRE?  (Read 19503 times)

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
What do you love about FI or FIRE?
« on: June 03, 2017, 06:28:23 AM »
Life is still full of ups and downs. I want to focus on the good things, without meaning or wanting to gloat. Do you think this is a good idea, too?

What are some of the good things that have come about for you from being Mustachian? Here are some good things for me:

1. Yesterday, I sent a letter to my part-time consulting clients announcing a big reduction in availability.
2. We just reached our financial stash goal, two years after retiring from full-time work.
3. I love having time to exercise and prepare more nutritious meals.

Your turn.

respond2u

• Stubble
Re: What do you love about FI or FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:12 PM »
The biggest thing I got from the "mustachian" viewpoint was the re-appraisal of my budget. That allowed me to retire early.

From retiring early, I find life all around more enjoyable and less stressful. I'm free to do just about anything I want but squander money.

Most of the benefits come from having 9-14 hours of higher quality time in my life each day. I use the time more to my delight, and am only worn out when I want to be.

I love the idea that weekends only mean that my friends are more available.

rob/d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Grumpy ? me ?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:56:37 AM »
Time.
Just having the time to do even the mundane parts of a normal day is heaven.
Not having to rush around or make tasks " fit in " with too little time available.
A surplus of time is underated .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:58:25 AM by rob/d »

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »
I love waking up because I wake up, not because an alarm is going off. I love sitting in the lanai with a cup of coffee, looking out over the lake and not worrying about what time it is. I love never having to be around someone I don't want to be around. I love not being entirely sure sometimes what day it is. I love not having a deadline for anything. I love the freedom to be able to go out of town at the drop of a hat whenever we feel like it. I love the freedom. All of it....I love all of it.  :)

MostlyBearded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
Awesome thread!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
I love waking up because I wake up, not because an alarm is going off. I love sitting in the lanai with a cup of coffee, looking out over the lake and not worrying about what time it is. I love never having to be around someone I don't want to be around. I love not being entirely sure sometimes what day it is. I love not having a deadline for anything. I love the freedom to be able to go out of town at the drop of a hat whenever we feel like it. I love the freedom. All of it....I love all of it.  :)

Regarding forgetting what day it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfpBW-nUWk

respond2u

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »

Regarding forgetting what day it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfpBW-nUWk

My parents made me watch some Downtown Abbey with them. That was the only thing I remembered. Thanks for sharing the inspirational clip!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
A friend of mine canceled plans last night because he had to catch up on work from the office.  Don't miss being tied down by a company phone and laptop at all!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
Love this thread :)

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
I love that I am not always late for appointments now, since I have more time to get ready. Today we had an appointment, and we stopped at Whole Foods for a yummy bite to eat on the way home… because we could. :D

Tiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
This is so inspirational!! I need to keep hearing this over and over to keep me motivated!!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
There is so many things but ;

I really enjoy the fact that instead of havings things I need to get done I either have plenty of time to get them done or there simply not ruining my day or causing stress.

I get to spend alot more time spending time and enjoying my kids/family and am better able to plan things

I have taken over 90% of the cooking which I really enjoy and the family seems to as well.

I am able to get my exercise in everyday because i dont need to do it at any exact time and I lost 60lbs and have kept off for over a year and a half with really not dieting.

overall sense of calm............

redwagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
I agree with many of the aforementioned benefits. Right now one of my favourite FIRE luxuries is having time to read. I have read more books in the last year than I had probably read in last ten while working.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
I agree with many of the aforementioned benefits. Right now one of my favourite FIRE luxuries is having time to read. I have read more books in the last year than I had probably read in last ten while working.

I read 70 books in the first year we were FIREd. I didn't count them, goodreads.com did...every time I'd read a book I'd add it to my list on their website and that's how I knew how many.  When I realized I was close to 70 and close to the end of year one, I did make sure to have an even number because, well, that's just what I do.  LOL.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
After quitting my job last summer (FIRE'd) I realized how much white noise there is in our lives. The amount of stuff we think about daily that really isn't important is amazing. Not having a demand on 50-60 of my waking hours per week meant so many mundane decisions just ceased. I didn't have to make them anymore. I didn't realize my easy commute still actually stressed me out until I went back to work in September and I could feel it when I started back. Having all that white noise fade away was like taking off medieval armor. I became lighter and could breathe better. I had unburdened myself of so many little things, but the cumulative effect of them added up to a real impact on how I felt each day. That's the feeling of freedom.

NaturallyHappier

• Stubble
  • FIRED 3/10/2017
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »
I wake up to the sun shining into my window and not an alarm clock.   My time is my time and I do what I want to do.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
After quitting my job last summer (FIRE'd) I realized how much white noise there is in our lives. The amount of stuff we think about daily that really isn't important is amazing. Not having a demand on 50-60 of my waking hours per week meant so many mundane decisions just ceased. I didn't have to make them anymore. I didn't realize my easy commute still actually stressed me out until I went back to work in September and I could feel it when I started back. Having all that white noise fade away was like taking off medieval armor. I became lighter and could breathe better. I had unburdened myself of so many little things, but the cumulative effect of them added up to a real impact on how I felt each day. That's the feeling of freedom.

Hey, Mr. Green, I hope things are going well now and you're closer to where you want to be.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
I go on self imposed little info and entertainment fasts and do away with anything and everything just to see how it is. Nothing electronic at all - which includes TV, internet, phone, radio, cds or dvds, etc... No reading material either. Just me, my mind and body, uncluttered thoughts and life, and whatever I see or hear naturally. Lots of white nouse and a feelibg of limitless free time. Its pretty darn awesome and makes you realize how much of your time is actually cluttered with.things and stuff and activities that suck away at that free time.

I'm not fired yet, just approaching the bare bones level of FI. However, I can relate to the comments about too much white noise and the benefits of low information diet. I stopped following the news, just check the headlines briefly and try to avoid negative stuff, especially politics. I used to listen to Bloomberg radio regularly. While there is a lot of food for thought and intelligent speech there, there is also a lot of negativity even though it's a financial/business news radio. Now I listen to meditation music or jazz instead.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »

Hey, Mr. Green, I hope things are going well now and you're closer to where you want to be.
I'm joining the ranks of the unemployed again this Friday. w00t! I'm ready for it now. Last year we tried to make way too many life changes at one time. I've learned a lot from what has happened over the past year. Definitely glad to be moving past it though.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
I love this thread. Thanks for being willing to share, retired peeps!!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
I can relate to the comments about too much white noise and the benefits of low information diet.
I actually meant white noise to be a little bit different than news. I mean all the little mundane decisions that you are forced to make daily that you don't realize how much they cumulatively weigh you down until you don't have to make them anymore.

My alarm just went off. Do I have a meeting today that I have to be in the office at a certain time or can I go back to sleep for a bit? Did I wear this shirt just a day or two ago? Can I wear it again today? If I time that light just right I'll get though it without having to sit. Do I speed up and try to tailgate the car in front of me a little because the guy merging is probably going to cut me off if I don't? Did I get in the right lane for where traffic slows down because it moves faster? Did I remember my badge getting out of the car? I have to remember to leave at 4pm because I have to be at this place at 5pm. This will give me enough time to get there unless traffic is hosed. I need to remember to check traffic before I leave work.

I think that illustrates the idea enough. Many of those questions/thoughts are always about ensuring that you can fit something into your schedule because you have work at a certain time and other obligations and only so much free time outside of those things. When 90% of your waking hours become "free time" it all just stops. All the sudden I didn't care if I made it through the traffic light. I didn't care about speeding up to try and prevent someone from cutting me off. I generally didn't drive as fast because I didn't feel pressed for time. I left for appointments a little earlier because I didn't care about waiting for 10 minutes. The grocery line was no longer frustrating.

Knowing that I had such limited free time created all those negative feelings and the noise of those thoughts and questions use brain power, whether we realize it or not. It's almost like death by a thousand paper cuts. Ironically, most folks will never know that this is how it really feels because they'll never stop working long enough for all those feelings and thoughts to dissipate, so they won't even realize they're burdened. I started to pity people who were screaming in their cars because traffic wasn't moving fast enough. They have no idea.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:27:24 AM by Mr. Green »

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
Maybe they're just different kinds of troublesome white noise.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Totally! News white noise is there too. I just wanted to illustrate the mental white noise of decision making a little more.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 10:05:39 AM »
Totally! News white noise is there too. I just wanted to illustrate the mental white noise of decision making a little more.

Yes, I see. I'm still recuperating from my accident last year; what had seemed like a quiet lifestyle was still too much for me. I had to cut back more—to a place of even less responsibility, with fewer deadlines of any kind—so I could focus on long-term rehabilitation. Deadlines are bad white noise when they interfere with health and well-being.

I love being able to adjust my schedule to meet my needs.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 02:36:19 PM »
I can relate to the comments about too much white noise and the benefits of low information diet.
I actually meant white noise to be a little bit different than news. I mean all the little mundane decisions that you are forced to make daily that you don't realize how much they cumulatively weigh you down until you don't have to make them anymore.

My alarm just went off. Do I have a meeting today that I have to be in the office at a certain time or can I go back to sleep yesterday? Did I wear this shirt just a day or two ago? Can I wear it again today? If I time that light just right I'll get though it without having to sit. Do I speed up and try to tailgate the car in front of me a little because the guy merging is probably going to cut me off if I don't? Did I get in the right lane for where traffic slows down because it moves faster? Did I remember my badge getting out of the car? I have to remember to leave at 4pm because I have to be at this place at 5pm. This will give me enough time to get there unless traffic is hosed. I need to remember to check traffic before I leave work.

I think that illustrates the idea enough. Maybe of those questions/thoughts are always about ensuring that you can fit something into your schedule because you have work at a certain time and other obligations and only so much free time outside of those things. When 90% of your waking hours become "free time" it all just stops. All the sudden I didn't care if I made it through the traffic light. I didn't care about speeding up to try and prevent someone from cutting me off. I generally didn't drive as fast because I didn't feel pressed for time. I left for appointments a little earlier because I didn't care about waiting for 10 minutes. The grocery line was no longer frustrating.

Knowing that I had such limited free time created all those negative feelings and the noise of those thoughts and questions use brain power, whether we realize it or not. It's almost like death by a thousand paper cuts. Ironically, most folks will never know that this is how it really feels because they'll never stop working long enough for all those feelings and thoughts to dissipate, so they won't even realize they're burdened. I started to pity people who were screaming in their cars because traffic wasn't moving fast enough. They have no idea.

This is one of the most elegant explanations of 'the grind' that I've found and I completely relate to it.  Thank you.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »

My alarm just went off. Do I have a meeting today that I have to be in the office at a certain time or can I go back to sleep yesterday? Did I wear this shirt just a day or two ago? Can I wear it again today? If I time that light just right I'll get though it without having to sit. Do I speed up and try to tailgate the car in front of me a little because the guy merging is probably going to cut me off if I don't? Did I get in the right lane for where traffic slows down because it moves faster? Did I remember my badge getting out of the car? I have to remember to leave at 4pm because I have to be at this place at 5pm. This will give me enough time to get there unless traffic is hosed. I need to remember to check traffic before I leave work.

I think that illustrates the idea enough. Maybe of those questions/thoughts are always about ensuring that you can fit something into your schedule because you have work at a certain time and other obligations and only so much free time outside of those things. When 90% of your waking hours become "free time" it all just stops. All the sudden I didn't care if I made it through the traffic light. I didn't care about speeding up to try and prevent someone from cutting me off. I generally didn't drive as fast because I didn't feel pressed for time. I left for appointments a little earlier because I didn't care about waiting for 10 minutes. The grocery line was no longer frustrating.

Great post Mr Green!

Whilst I'm still working, I've stepped out of a higher stress role and can relate to many of the things you've listed as a result.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »

Great post Mr Green!

Whilst I'm still working, I've stepped out of a higher stress role and can relate to many of the things you've listed as a result.

Bravo, Gremlin! It takes intestinal fortitude to switch to a lower stress position.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »

My alarm just went off. Do I have a meeting today that I have to be in the office at a certain time or can I go back to sleep for a bit? Did I wear this shirt just a day or two ago? Can I wear it again today? If I time that light just right I'll get though it without having to sit. Do I speed up and try to tailgate the car in front of me a little because the guy merging is probably going to cut me off if I don't? Did I get in the right lane for where traffic slows down because it moves faster? Did I remember my badge getting out of the car? I have to remember to leave at 4pm because I have to be at this place at 5pm. This will give me enough time to get there unless traffic is hosed. I need to remember to check traffic before I leave work.

I think that illustrates the idea enough. Many of those questions/thoughts are always about ensuring that you can fit something into your schedule because you have work at a certain time and other obligations and only so much free time outside of those things. When 90% of your waking hours become "free time" it all just stops. All the sudden I didn't care if I made it through the traffic light. I didn't care about speeding up to try and prevent someone from cutting me off. I generally didn't drive as fast because I didn't feel pressed for time. I left for appointments a little earlier because I didn't care about waiting for 10 minutes. The grocery line was no longer frustrating.

It might depend on how prone to stress a person is. But a person who feels very responsible for being on schedule and feels terrible about arriving late, having a lot of efforts to do during a day, will feel like this on a typical working day. And often also on free days, because there are many private affairs to do on those seldom days off. I recognize this description above, although I don't need to choose a file when driving. I do get itchy if I need to wait for the school bus that parcs in the middle of the road, or the garbage van. I feel it during cooking, as I want to make food from scratch that is a bit interesting, improvising as I go along with the ingredients we have in the house. At the same time my DH is showing me funny stuff he is reading on Instagram. My brain is working overtime trying to think out a dish while I am already preparing it, calculating that food is ready at the right time in the right sequence. And very often having to get out of bed while I need some more sleep. I think I would benefit greatly from FIREing. My DH wants to postpone a bit and thinks working part time for some years will be better, as a smooth transition. But for myself, I don't agree. We'll see how it goes in 2 years when we can afford to work part time and 4 years for FIRE.

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 01:53:02 AM »
Right now (whatever phase I'm in around 9 months into FIRE) I would say having the time and mental space to question reality and my views on everything, read vociferously on a large variety of topics that interest me, and the difference in stress levels similar to what Mr. Green outlined above.

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »
I'll speak to the FI aspect.  I bought a condo in order to be relatively free from doing my own maintenance and security, so that I can be free to travel more.  We have several building maintenance needs that I was aware of when I purchased the place and the assessments for those are reasonable.  However, some of the residents here are totally freaking out over a charge of just $200-$400 per unit!  My attitude is "can I just send the check now and get it over with?". 

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
Great post Mr. Green!  I totally relate.  For me it's about trying to find time to cram in all the mundane things.  There is just never enough time to do things well.  I'd like to sit on the porch for another 30 min and drink my coffee, but it looks like I'll finish it while getting dressed for work.

One good thing about FI is that I'm much less worried about losing my job.  We just found out our boss will be retiring at the end of next year and some people are freaking out.  If it's horrible, I'll just find a lower paying job and dump the stress.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
I enjoy that every day feels like waking up on Saturday, only better.  No Sunday evening dread, no having to pace my crazy non-conventional life, around what seems born-spend-die drones.  Shopping at off peak times, smiling when asked what is the best time to schedule XYZ, saying "oh, any time is fine."  Feeding birds all winter, drinking tea as I watch them survive and stay healthy, and taking time to volunteer along a wide range of situations, never forgetting how lucky I am, wanting them to have a better, easier life lived from another perspective.

Not giving a damn what anyone thinks about my lifestyle, and promoting it to others.  Giddy knowing I will never have to do a job I hate, ever again in this lifetime.  I love that I can exercise when I like, as long as I like, go to the library, and zone out for hours in a world of imagination, introspection and calm.  As said by others, it's freedom, life on your terms plain and simple, and sorrow felt for folks who are still blinded by so much, that IMO and experience matters so little.

Because I like balance, I should mention some issues I have found less than OK so far.  I absolutely hate where I an renting, and bummed because trying to find a home to purchase has been a fruitless, very depressing situation.  This negative, extremely stressful, no peace in my life situation permeates about everything else, and I need a break from it.  Although I smile when asked about making appointments, I find even one too many...  I'm too used to not having any constraints on when/how I do things, and it feels restrictive.  Medical insurance costs have been rising so fast, I fear what the future may hold...  Better and cheaper my ass. 

There are others I may expound on later, but being FIRE (investments just went over $1.5MM, yay) is the best it can get, and I know there is no way I could ever go back.  Thanks for sharing MMM folks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
I enjoy that every day feels like waking up on Saturday, only better.  No Sunday evening dread, no having to pace my crazy non-conventional life, around what seems born-spend-die drones.  Shopping at off peak times, smiling when asked what is the best time to schedule XYZ, saying "oh, any time is fine."  Feeding birds all winter, drinking tea as I watch them survive and stay healthy, and taking time to volunteer along a wide range of situations, never forgetting how lucky I am, wanting them to have a better, easier life lived from another perspective.

Not giving a damn what anyone thinks about my lifestyle, and promoting it to others.  Giddy knowing I will never have to do a job I hate, ever again in this lifetime.  I love that I can exercise when I like, as long as I like, go to the library, and zone out for hours in a world of imagination, introspection and calm.  As said by others, it's freedom, life on your terms plain and simple, and sorrow felt for folks who are still blinded by so much, that IMO and experience matters so little.

Because I like balance, I should mention some issues I have found less than OK so far.  I absolutely hate where I an renting, and bummed because trying to find a home to purchase has been a fruitless, very depressing situation.  This negative, extremely stressful, no peace in my life situation permeates about everything else, and I need a break from it.  Although I smile when asked about making appointments, I find even one too many...  I'm too used to not having any constraints on when/how I do things, and it feels restrictive.  Medical insurance costs have been rising so fast, I fear what the future may hold...  Better and cheaper my ass. 

There are others I may expound on later, but being FIRE (investments just went over $1.5MM, yay) is the best it can get, and I know there is no way I could ever go back.  Thanks for sharing MMM folks.

I am pretty sure I will be doing some hatefull work after FIRE. Things like maintenance and cleaning are not exactly my favorites. But at least we won't be spending our 2 weekend days on it.

I can relate to your living situation. I had it too, when I rented a room and was desperate to hire something privately with only own front door. Still, you should try to work on finding something to be content about in life. Counting your blessings. Maybe they will give you some piece of mind, despite this one frustration.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:22:49 PM by Linda_Norway »

Cossack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • finance liberation
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »
I love being not having to go anywhere I don't want to. I love playing with the kids (I have 5 young kids, with a new one born on Tuesday). I love being able to look out the window and decide in that moment to go out to a park/themepark. But I still don't have enough time in the day somehow. How do people with jobs do it?

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 04:45:16 AM »
I love being not having to go anywhere I don't want to. I love playing with the kids (I have 5 young kids, with a new one born on Tuesday). I love being able to look out the window and decide in that moment to go out to a park/themepark. But I still don't have enough time in the day somehow. How do people with jobs do it?

Congratulations on the new baby and FIREing at a time you can be home with the kids! Can you share something about how you achieved it? It's pretty impressive.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
I adore this thread. Thank you for the inspiration after an absolutely draining Monday at the office!

oblivo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
I've been FIREd for a couple months, and the brokerage account that I'm drawing my monthly expenses from is keeping pace with my draw-down... Every time I withdraw it makes up the difference by the same time next month. I know it won't always be like this, but it's pretty cool

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
I love doing whatever I want, all the time. Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, it's because I want to be there, doing that thing.

I love not knowing what day of the week it is. I love being relaxed, all the time.

I love getting to see the world, on a slow time frame (not a rushed "vacation"). I love getting to do new things constantly, without having a boring routine of going to work day in and day out.

I love being able to donate and help others. I love being able to spend so much time with people.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »
This thread brought a tear to my eye. Bravo all and thank you.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 11:53:21 PM »
I'm not fully FI, but am semi-RE, and every day that I dont have to set an alarm(95% of the time) is wonderful.  The days I do have become "a nice change of pace" instead of a fear.  Sometimes I think about working full time and getting full FI sooner, but then I immediately think of alarm clocks.

Something I really like is lots of extra time to help others. I can devote as much time to volunteering as I want. I can make my boyfriend breakfast and do extra cleaning.  Stop by and let a neighbors dog out.  I never feel too rushed to pick up litter. 

I also get to see my retired grandparents much more often, which I know they appreciate.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:55:05 PM by druth »

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »
Like many others have said, I love the freedom and the time to sleep and exercise and pursue interests. 

Something I didn't expect to enjoy was further financial optimization. I've found cheaper insurance ($300/yr savings), gotten 600€ from an airline for a delayed flight, and learned to make almond milk (I use a lot of it) for 1/4 of what it costs in the store.

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 04:26:39 AM »
While I am FI, I am also only semi RE as my employer offered me a crazy amount of money to work 2 days a week for a two year period. That being said, as my role at my employer is now that of mentor and trouble shooter my attitude has changed to 'I really don't give a damn anymore' as it has now for the most part become someone else's problem. 

I too love the independence that FI has brought and the corresponding reduction of stress. As I am involved in a professional services industry, it seemed like I was always 'on' - emails 24/7, questions via text, phone calls - I have come to really despise my phone. I certainly love the reduced level of activity. I found it amazing that despite the fact I am still in the office two days a week, I very quickly seemed to have been forgotten as the level of calls etc has fallen off a cliff and I am very much OK with that.

One of the challenges (and this is a very good problem to have) is filling my non work days. I have as a goal on those days to 1) read an actual book 2) sweat from some form of exercise and 3) if there is a household related chore on the 'honey do' list, to actually do it.  Sometimes those three things take all day and other days they only take a few hours.  I knew it would take me six months at least to figure out and to this point I am enjoying the journey.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
While I am FI, I am also only semi RE as my employer offered me a crazy amount of money to work 2 days a week for a two year period. That being said, as my role at my employer is now that of mentor and trouble shooter my attitude has changed to 'I really don't give a damn anymore' as it has now for the most part become someone else's problem. 

A former supervisor of mine had recently come back from several years as an expat and had a nice stash and was just working his last few years to FI.  He explained to me we all have a "give-a-shit-o-meter" and the needle starts to edge up against the big "E" as  you reach FI.  It made me laugh at the time but I did not yet know how true that was!

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »
So much less stress is fantastic.  No deadlines, rushing, worrying, over work related stuff.  No more commuting nightmare.
I actually like Monday now and don't like weekends when the worker drones flood the stores.

My weight has dropped into a healthy BMI thanks to no stress related eating junk food at work.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »

A former supervisor of mine had recently come back from several years as an expat and had a nice stash and was just working his last few years to FI.  He explained to me we all have a "give-a-shit-o-meter" and the needle starts to edge up against the big "E" as  you reach FI.  It made me laugh at the time but I did not yet know how true that was!

E R.org has a similar metaphor from a decade+ ago by dory, their founder, who talks about buckets, one you're filling with money, the other that fills with *. When you've filled them, you quit.  Once the money bucket gets close, the other one seems to fill quicker, as you're less willing to put up with it. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
Love this thread.

FernFree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On my way!
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
I love the first flush of pink in the early morning sky, as I sit up in bed with a cup of tea and the paper, and give thanks for a slow and peaceful start to the day.
I love a cold rainy Monday afternoon with the fire on and a good book, knowing I don't have to go to the supermarket on the way home, or come in late to a cold house and start dinner.
I love taking my friends' baby for a long walk once a week so his Mama can catch up on things.
I love spending all day in the garden and not knowing what the time is.
I love not waking in the night worried about patients.
I just love being free.

Kai Te Pai, that is absolutely beautiful!  Almost poetic. :)

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
I love the first flush of pink in the early morning sky, as I sit up in bed with a cup of tea and the paper, and give thanks for a slow and peaceful start to the day.
I love a cold rainy Monday afternoon with the fire on and a good book, knowing I don't have to go to the supermarket on the way home, or come in late to a cold house and start dinner.
I love taking my friends' baby for a long walk once a week so his Mama can catch up on things.
I love spending all day in the garden and not knowing what the time is.
I love not waking in the night worried about patients.
I just love being free.

Kai Te Pai, that is absolutely beautiful!  Almost poetic. :)

I second that!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »
I love the freedom to reinvent myself.

I love being my own patron of the arts, having time to explore what interests me, and not worrying about sales.