Author Topic: What can you do after Fire?  (Read 3987 times)

Easylivin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • morethanretired.com
What can you do after Fire?
« on: December 06, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »
Hey all,

Interested in anyones thoughts on jobs they would like to try after fire?  Work that you might think would be cool to learn from say a park ranger or a line cook?  I am creating a list of volunteer opportunities and jobs I would like to try.  Thanks!

Easylivin

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:18:43 PM by arebelspy »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Re: What can you do after Fire?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:26:58 PM »
Peace Corps

palerider1858

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:31:50 PM »
Reenlist or go to culinary school.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 04:28:13 AM »
I became a volunteer board member for a non-profit group.

I also do a very small amount of consulting in my old field.

I'm a volunteer dog walker at the local animal shelter.

But in general, I have no desire to have any kind of regular job where I have to show up and put in time on someone else's schedule.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 07:01:07 AM »
Peace Corps

I'm thinking about the Peace Corps too. It seems like it would be a way to pay for my life and let my stash grow a couple more years. I'd really like to learn another language and live somewhere else for a while, too. And if it actually helps people, that's just another plus.

Easylivin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • morethanretired.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
Peace Corps

I agree.  I think the Peace Corp is a really cool idea.  Have to wait for kids to be out of the house I think but still adding it to my list

Reenlist or go to culinary school.

I am trying working as a cook in restaurants as a way to learn to cook.  It is slower and more grunt work than culinary school probably but certainly cheaper ;0) 

But in general, I have no desire to have any kind of regular job where I have to show up and put in time on someone else's schedule.

I can certainly see your point.  But I have also found that, at least for me, being involved in work where I am learning something new because it really needs to be done for the business to keep running makes me feel a lot more engaged and like I am learning new things rather than passive participation in things like going to concerts or other entertainment.  I think volunteerism is a nice middle ground but sometimes it can seem a bit disorganized and like they don't want to ask too much of you because they are not paying you.  But this may just be me.....

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
There are a couple skilled artisan manufacturing jobs I'd like to try out: cheesemaker, working in a distillery, and watchmaking spring to mind.

I also have always loved journalism (I do some journalism now) and public radio, so I'd like to try doing something in those fields after FI.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
I teach a online college class. I love it.

whywork

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
I was always interested in philosophy, psychology and meditation. But studied computer science out of fear of survival.

Once retired, I would like to sit and question myself on how I want to lead my ideal life. Will try to study philosophy books and stay near a zen monastery and visit there regularly and focus on my zen meditation

I was always driven by fear of survival and society (to look good and successful in others' view). I don't even know what life I would have wanted for me. Post retirement I want to see and welcome "my life"

mstr d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 11:39:29 PM »
I drive a truck on sundays for one of the biggest supermarket in the Netherlands.

I like it because it physical labour pushing 500 kg rollcontainers. A challenge driving in the small old streets in old town centrums. And its nice talking and making fun with the youngh people that help you.
And sunday pays 200%.

And the best part is,  I can take my break at home with my girlfriend because I pass my house. I love it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:42:06 PM by DanLee »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 06:13:05 AM »
Hmm, nothing that I wouldn't do for free :).  I am currently still working, but once I am free the sky is the limit!  End of Q1 2019.

I have quite a "I want to try list" and have been knocking them off for a while.  I love accumulating new skills, even if they don't pay.  FIRE means I can do them sooner :).

1.  Become a troubadour.  I am designing business cards as such (there is a thread about it in off topics, I'm on this page https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/business-card-ideas/200/).  I really want to play for nickles (and only nickles).  I am slowly learning to play a stringed instrument as that is one of the requirements of being a troubadour.   I currently play no instruments, don't read music, and have no musical talent.  It's gonna be a hoot!

2. Learn to drive big vehicles, might require I get a DCL license, but I really like driving and that seems like a logical step since I learned to drive a stick not too long ago.  @DanLee  Your post brought a smile to my face!

3.  I currently do science outreach to people of all ages.  It would not be odd for me to continue into the future.

4.  I've done work in the past with a group called FAME, they do medical missions.  I'm good at sorting medical supplies and they could always use a hand. 

5.  DH and I are learning to mold aluminum and (unrelated) are going to learn to weld (once it warms up outside). 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
There are several forum members with Peace Corps experience. I can't find at the moment, but someone else may know and respond.

Personally, I am on several non-profit boards, I volunteer at the library, I usher at our local regional theater, I belong to a social group that focuses on the arts. When I have more time, I plan on volunteering at a cool thrift store that's walking distance from my house - can't hardly wait. Oh, and I co-chair a big annual event in my city, which takes nine months of planning. I volunteered during the elections, including being a staffer for a specific candidate's successful campaign. My goal was to wonder how I ever had time to work. I feel happy and productive, crazy busy at times, but I am never stressed like I was in my working years.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 07:04:16 AM »
Park Ranger or Forest Ranger would be good for me.  Better still would be working on trail maintenance.  I enjoy physical labor for the fitness benefits.

tenant13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
I'm about to FIRE at the end of January. I mean I call it FIRE because I can but since I'm a freelancer it just means that I'm not taking any more gigs. For, hopefully, a very long time :) I want to learn Spanish, photography and to ride a motorcycle first. While this is happening I'm planning to turn my somewhat slapdash gym routine into a full blown scientific project. That will include perfect meals that I will have time to control. I THINK I'd like to learn how to cook but that remains to be seen. Then there's my love of travel but instead of being a tourist I'm going to try to be a "local" for a few months at time. Live mini lives wherever I go, settling on a fav coffee shop and bar, finding a gym, making friends...that kind of stuff. Maybe South America, maybe SE Asia, less travelled Europe? None of these plans include any work but I'm pretty burnt out so it'll have to wait.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 05:25:12 AM »
I’ve learned enough from working on my house and yard that I could probably take on many general contracting skills. I’m not going to do that, but I can always help out if need be. I’m probably. Going to take course to become a master gardener this coming year.

I’m learning more about music, which is non mustachean since I like music synthesis which means gear, unfortunately.

Finally, my main push is in art. That’s what I’m up to these days. I had already started in that direction a while back, but now am after it 100% (when I’m not improving my property).

One more thing. I might try out software development in a couple of years. There are still plenty of indie shops that make good software. If I took at as a hobby not a living, maybe it’d be a cool thing to do? Particularly when my son gets out of college as that’s something he’s interested in. Ha. Now I’m excited about that idea.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:27:21 AM by smoghat »

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
I made a thread about Cool Works before but it didn't get much traction.

www.CoolWorks.com

Basically it is a site that lists seasonal jobs around the country and the world. Every job has it's own benefits, but many offer free room and board along with a smallish paycheck. I've seen job offerings for being a dog musher in Alaska (or bike tour guide) to working a ranch in Arizona to working for private companies in national parks.

If you wanted to try something new for a few months, get paid a bit, and have little to no expenses you might get a kick out of it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!