Author Topic: US Address (Renter) during extended living/traveling overseas  (Read 11606 times)

lefty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
US Address (Renter) during extended living/traveling overseas
« on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
What US address does one use when traveling/living abroad for say 2 years?
I am currently an apartment renter and do not have the option to use the US address of friends or relatives.
Would I even need it?

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Becoming Financially Independent
Re: US Address (Renter) during extended living/traveling overseas
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »
Here's a great organization geared for RVers -
https://www.escapees.com/support/domicile-options

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »
We're full-time RVers and use My Dakota Address. I'm sure a full-time traveler could use them as well.

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:40:00 AM »
Long term sailors have the same need and there are a number of services to address (sorry) it. A popular one with cruisers is St Brendans Isle in florida which will happily be your full time residence.

https://www.sbimailservice.com

Remember it's worth establishing your residence in a location with no state or local income tax

lefty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:11:37 AM »
How interesting!
Thanks!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »
Which of the 3 states (Texas, South Dakota or Florida) would it be better to pay minimal taxes?

lagniappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
Which of the 3 states (Texas, South Dakota or Florida) would it be better to pay minimal taxes?

All three have no state taxes, so it is your choice.  I am also considering where I want to buy health insurance in as a factor to consider, so have added two other no-state-tax locations into the mix:  Washington and Nevada.  Right now I am favoring Washington state, now need to find an RV or sailing forwarding service there.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »
I used the UPS Store in Lacey, WA for my address when I lived in Central America.  I had a box there when I lived in the area, and just kept it.  That section of WA doesn't (or at least didn't) require vehicle emissions testing, so I could renew my vehicle plates via mail as well.  They are nice folks there as well.

1420 Marvin Rd NE, Lacey, WA 98516   

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
Bumping this.  I'm looking at retirement around April 2019 and am planning to be nomadic for awhile (combo of international, North American via camper van, and visiting with family in the USA).

I've done quite a bit of research and now heavily leaning towards one of the mail services in South Dakota.  I'm currently in Washington state and had a friend that I thought might take my mail for me but thinking about the savings on only car insurance and licensing fees will pay for the mail services.

Other perk: mail service is only 4 hour drive from where my family lives. 

Any advice in setting this up?  Anything you'd do differently?

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »
Traveling Mailbox is the service we use (www.travelingmailbox.com).

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
I've been very happy with Escapees mail service.

cap396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Snail Travelers - Traveling the World at a Snail's Pace
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
We just started Escapee mail service about a week ago, and we changed our address with Ally Bank to our Escapee address.  The next day they called us because the Escapee address did not qualify as a permanent address, but said that we could still use the Escapee address as long as we also provided a next-of-kin address.  So that's what we did, we gave them my parents address.  We changed our address with Schwab Bank on Saturday, and so far we haven't been contacted by them to say it's a problem (but it's only been two days).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
For those with Escapee, what state did you use?  Why?

My biggest ? now is healthcare - I was just reading some stuff that South Dakota is awful for choice if you don't actually live in SD.  Also looking at Ministries or the Geo Blue since I'll be abroad much of the time (although this is not ACA, nor an allowed exemption unless out of the US 330+ days).

cap396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
For Escapees your mailing address is Texas.  But you also have the option to choose a domicile (physical address) in Florida or South Dakota, in which case you will have two addresses, one in Texas and one in your chosen domicile state.  So the three options are:

1) Texas address only
2) Florida and Texas addresses
3) South Dakota and Texas addresses

The cost of the three options is the same as long as your mail is sent to Texas, otherwise you have to pay $1 extra per envelope if mail is sent to either Florida or South Dakota (because they then forward to Texas).

We decided to go with the Florida and Texas option.  We currently live in North Carolina, so it's much easier for us to go to Florida to get our driver's licenses than it would be to go all the way to Texas.  (We are also good friends with Minnie and Mickey, and by being Florida residents we get discounts on park tickets).  Once we get our driver's licenses in Florida and move out of North Carolina, we will no longer have to pay state taxes.  Other reasons you might choose one of the three states over the other two is for vehicle insurance rates, vehicle registration costs and inspection requirements, and health insurance rates.

We just started using Escapees and are new to this, so please double check this information and forgive me if I stated something that is incorrect.  When you call them they are always friendly and helpful.  We are going down at the end of the month to get our driver's license, library card, and register to vote.

Another option is St. Brendan's Isle in Florida, which is similar to Escapees but only have an office in Florida.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »
Thanks. 

I'm leaning towards the South Dakota option heavily because my parents and siblings live only about 4 hours from 2 of the mail place options.  Just wondering if any one has some compelling reason I should choose a different state.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 02:42:04 AM »
Although this doesn't fulfill the OP's needs, I thought I would throw this out there since some recent posters do have strategically-located family:  We moved internationally this year.  I happen to have in-laws in Texas, and we just use their address.  We have moved every one of our regular correspondents to online billing / communication, so they occasionally get government mail for us, which we have forwarded monthly.  Any bills get paid via online bill pay, and any checks we get will (eventually) be electronically deposited.  The USPS has an "informed delivery" service which scans the outer envelope of everything, so we know what we're getting, and if something is urgent / out of normal.

I looked at the forwarding services, but piecing it together ourselves seems to be working OK, too.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Although this doesn't fulfill the OP's needs, I thought I would throw this out there since some recent posters do have strategically-located family:  We moved internationally this year.  I happen to have in-laws in Texas, and we just use their address.  We have moved every one of our regular correspondents to online billing / communication, so they occasionally get government mail for us, which we have forwarded monthly.  Any bills get paid via online bill pay, and any checks we get will (eventually) be electronically deposited.  The USPS has an "informed delivery" service which scans the outer envelope of everything, so we know what we're getting, and if something is urgent / out of normal.

I looked at the forwarding services, but piecing it together ourselves seems to be working OK, too.

It would be great to have that option.   My family lives in Minnesota and the last time I went abroad for a couple years and "moved" to their address, the MN tax man came after me.  Since I have deferred tax accounts, I'm expecting somewhere in the range of 35K per year "income" so the no income tax state is super important. 

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
I'm literally sitting in my motel room right now establishing residency in South Dakota.

It's so freaking easy with Americas Mailbox.

step 1 - Show up to their office and spend about an hour doing some paperwork and learning about their mail forwarding service. Take the receipt showing your new address.
step 2 - Spend one night in South Dakota, and have whomever put your new address on the lodging receipt.
step 3 - The next morning, go to the DMV with your AM and lodging receipt and get a South Dakota license. Stop by AM to get them a photocopy of your new license.
step 4 - Come back in five years to renew your license. Otherwise, your presence in the state is not required.

Highly recommended.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
I'm literally sitting in my motel room right now establishing residency in South Dakota.

step 1 - Show up to their office and spend about an hour doing some paperwork and learning about their mail forwarding service. Take the receipt showing your new address.
step 2 - Spend one night in South Dakota, and have whomever put your new address on the lodging receipt.
step 3 - The next morning, go to the DMV with your AM and lodging receipt and get a South Dakota license. Stop by AM to get them a photocopy of your new license.
step 4 - Come back in five years to renew your license. Otherwise, your presence in the state is not required.

Highly recommended.
It's a nice hack, but couldn't you just do something similar in Florida? Just snorkel in the keys for a month or something. If you have to go back every now and then to renew your license and other paperwork, why not make it close to a major international hub like MIA or DFW?

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 07:14:58 AM »
Here's a new step-by-step on getting residency in Florida. Easier to get to than S. Dakota and a lot warmer :-)

https://winnieviews.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-to-move-to-florida-in-1-hour.html

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »

Highly recommended.

Here's a new step-by-step on getting residency in Florida. Easier to get to than S. Dakota and a lot warmer :-)

https://winnieviews.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-to-move-to-florida-in-1-hour.html

There's 2 out of 3. Anyone have instructions or a link to how to establish residency in TX?

Of course, any other no income tax states anyone is familiar with would be interesting too.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »
Washington: you need to prove that you live at the address with a utility bill or bank statement, so probably not interesting unless you already live in the state, or park an RV there for a couple of months. Interestingly, when I moved there the DMV clerk didn't give a shit, I just verbally gave my address and that was good enough for him.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »

There's 2 out of 3. Anyone have instructions or a link to how to establish residency in TX?

Of course, any other no income tax states anyone is familiar with would be interesting too.

Terrific information on the Escapees site about domiciling in Texas, South Dakota, or Florida:
https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/

MJseast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
How does this change voter registration? Do you have to register with your new  address?

MJseast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
How does this change voter registration? Do you have to register with your new  address?

OK, never mind. I think this varies by state. From my research (google! ;) ) I found that WA state will allow you to have a different mailing address than permanent address and this can be used for temporary moves. You also have to register separately for "Snowbird" status if you're going to be out of the country.

Also, now is a good time to double check that your voter registration is active. Deadline for WA state is Oct 8th. My partner's was surprisingly "inactive" and we're not sure why. Fixed now!

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
I'm am with the Escapees and I really like their service.  They are very good at filtering out junk mail, they are really flexible with forwarding instructions, and they will double check with you when something you asked sounds like you may have meant something else.  For example, I asked they to shred an enveloppe via their web UI.  They got on on phone with me to make sure I knew there was a cheque in the enveloppe.  Thanks!

I have visited their facility and was really impressed to see the USPS semi-trailer full of mail pull over twice a week.  Escapees have seen it all and they know how to do their job really well.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm am with the Escapees and I really like their service.  They are very good at filtering out junk mail, they are really flexible with forwarding instructions, and they will double check with you when something you asked sounds like you may have meant something else.  For example, I asked they to shred an enveloppe via their web UI.  They got on on phone with me to make sure I knew there was a cheque in the enveloppe.  Thanks!

I have visited their facility and was really impressed to see the USPS semi-trailer full of mail pull over twice a week.  Escapees have seen it all and they know how to do their job really well.

Great review, thanks! I've heard financial institutions know their addresses are a mail forwarding facility. Have you had this issue? How have you handled it?

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
I use Escapees as my address for everything - including all my financial accounts. I've not had any issues.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
Ptf

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
PTF

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »

This seems to be the tricky part. Would love to hear about other's experiences with it... I'm in a similar situation and would really like to keep voting.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
Following.

cap396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
We are using Escapee's mailing service in Florida.  We registered to vote at the DMV when we went down to Florida to get our new driver's license.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
My wife and I travel for my contract work and move frequently. The majority of the last 5 years we were full time in an RV.

Last year while visiting the black hills I got a drivers license in SD since it was so easy. I had been TX previously. I usually work and live in Texas, however my “address” has to be 75 miles from job sites for tax free per firm (my per diem is $40k-$50k/yr) so it’s nice having a license nowhere near where I would work.

ACA healthcare plans in TX suck. They’re basically all HMO, so worthless unless you’re physically in the state, in your area.

Mail-wise, I just use my parents AZ address as my “permanent” mailing address. Typical things go to where I live, but all my long term mailing needs go to their house. Credit cards, bank stuff, etc. I usually just have my mom open the mail and send me pics if it’s important. If I physically need it, she forwards me stuff as needed. That’s usually only a few times a year though.

A DL is a good backup for tax income reasons, however I don’t believe the IRS ever requires that sort of physical proof and anymore, everything is done electronically.

I do still keep our vehicles registered in TX. They are very easy to renew registration while not in the state. Other states have strict rules that prohibit that possibility. My wife keeps her DL in Texas to make that easy (though I don’t think necessary) and so we can buy guns in TX if we want.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
My wife and I travel for my contract work and move frequently. The majority of the last 5 years we were full time in an RV.

Last year while visiting the black hills I got a drivers license in SD since it was so easy. I had been TX previously. I usually work and live in Texas, however my “address” has to be 75 miles from job sites for tax free per firm (my per diem is $40k-$50k/yr) so it’s nice having a license nowhere near where I would work.

ACA healthcare plans in TX suck. They’re basically all HMO, so worthless unless you’re physically in the state, in your area.

Mail-wise, I just use my parents AZ address as my “permanent” mailing address. Typical things go to where I live, but all my long term mailing needs go to their house. Credit cards, bank stuff, etc. I usually just have my mom open the mail and send me pics if it’s important. If I physically need it, she forwards me stuff as needed. That’s usually only a few times a year though.

A DL is a good backup for tax income reasons, however I don’t believe the IRS ever requires that sort of physical proof and anymore, everything is done electronically.

I do still keep our vehicles registered in TX. They are very easy to renew registration while not in the state. Other states have strict rules that prohibit that possibility. My wife keeps her DL in Texas to make that easy (though I don’t think necessary) and so we can buy guns in TX if we want.

Thanks for chiming in. It's interesting how "multistate" you are and it seems to be working out.

Do you use your parents address for your financial institutions? If so, do you tell them that's the mailing address, but give them another state residence somehow? Seems like that would be the biggest potential issue for state taxes -- if a financial institution sent a 1099 to the state.

What state do you have health insurance in if not TX?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 01:17:26 AM »
We use a Florida mailing address with Traveling Mailbox and have generally been happy with it. Good online interface, etc, fast and cheap enough forwarding, sometimes get an annoying fee if a "package" gets delivered to our Florida address (I complained the first time it happened, was a thick book they treated as a package, I haven't got any more package fees since I complained).

We picked a Florida address specifically because there was (and hopefully still is) at least one ACA plan in Florida that gives you access to a nationwide network of providers (Florida Blue BlueOptions Silver or something convoluted like that). Have to do the ACA song and dance again soon and figure out if the nationwide network is still provided, they don't make it easy to find out.

Most financial institutions took the address, but we had some trouble. Bank of America and Ally Bank both recognized it as a mail forwarding service, and said we could use it as a mailing address but that we would need a different physical address (used a relative). My wife tried to open an account with some financial institution using that address when the conversation got weird with the agent wondering "are you sure you live in an UPS store?" (that account got closed...)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »
Has anyone had trouble establishing residency in other states with a virtual mail service?  DD is considering colleges in SC, LA and AL and once we sell the house, we plan to establish residency in whatever state she chooses.  We have family in LA so easy to establish residency there and AL does not require proof of residency, but SC does.  Just wondering if the lodging bill and changing my address on a fidelity statement or something like that would qualify.  We fully intend to register vehicles in those states and file income tax returns but it seems like the license is the hurdle to the rest. 

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2018, 02:22:35 AM »
Has anyone had trouble establishing residency in other states with a virtual mail service?  DD is considering colleges in SC, LA and AL and once we sell the house, we plan to establish residency in whatever state she chooses.  We have family in LA so easy to establish residency there and AL does not require proof of residency, but SC does.  Just wondering if the lodging bill and changing my address on a fidelity statement or something like that would qualify.  We fully intend to register vehicles in those states and file income tax returns but it seems like the license is the hurdle to the rest.

You should check with the school itself.  Residency qualifications are often set independently by the school, and usually more onerous than what is described here, which is for tax purposes.  For example, a college will often require one full year of residency before you are qualified for in-state tuition.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2018, 06:32:34 AM »

You should check with the school itself.  Residency qualifications are often set independently by the school, and usually more onerous than what is described here, which is for tax purposes.  For example, a college will often require one full year of residency before you are qualified for in-state tuition.

They all do require a year of residency, so my calculations include two years of out of state and two years of in state for state schools other than those in NC.  I plan to call every schools she is admitted to prior to her decision since our income will drop substantially and our residency might change to figure out the true cost.  Establishing residency in a state without a permanent fixed address seems to be the tricky part.  I can't imagine any state that has state income tax turning us down for residency, but just wondering if anyone has had residency denied because of a lack of a fixed address. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »

Thanks for chiming in. It's interesting how "multistate" you are and it seems to be working out.

Do you use your parents address for your financial institutions? If so, do you tell them that's the mailing address, but give them another state residence somehow? Seems like that would be the biggest potential issue for state taxes -- if a financial institution sent a 1099 to the state.

What state do you have health insurance in if not TX?

I use my parents address for most everything aside from my “residence” to employers so I can receive per diem and no state income tax lol. I’ve lived in so many states I don’t feel too bad making a choice to claim residence in a state with no state income (and an ID to back it up)

Since I reinvest all my dividends and am in the accumulation stage, no worries of state income taxes from investment companies. If I was FIRE I’d just establish residence somewhere like SD, and use a mail forwarding service.

I’ve only had to get “private” insurance twice, both I just chose Texas and figured I’d be covered for anything life threatening at least. Aside from that, I’ve fortunately always been covered by my employers. We just switched to a HDHP that’s cheaper, but PPO, so after my current contract ends well likely elect cobra if we take another sabbatical.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »
Since I reinvest all my dividends and am in the accumulation stage, no worries of state income taxes from investment companies. If I was FIRE I’d just establish residence somewhere like SD, and use a mail forwarding service.

Thanks for following up!

Unrelated... I may have misunderstood this comment, but just in case, you still owe taxes on dividends even if you reinvest them. If your other income is low enough qualified dividends are taxed at 0%, but otherwise you owe 15-20% on those whether you reinvest them or not.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »
How do people handle jury duty?

Fly in and put in the time?

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »

You should be able to tell them you are traveling out of state (country) at that time.  You will go back in the pool of potential jurists but the odds of getting called again soon are low.

I have been called when I was going to be away and that is what happened.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 12:08:37 AM »

You should be able to tell them you are traveling out of state (country) at that time.  You will go back in the pool of potential jurists but the odds of getting called again soon are low.

I have been called when I was going to be away and that is what happened.

Yeah, I did this while attending school in state A, but had my legal/voting residence still in state B (with my parents) and it was no problem at all.

It'll also depend on where you live. In one county I lived in in CA it seemed like I and everyone I knew got a summons to report for jury duty almost every year like clockwork (usually either canceled the night before, or you show up but aren't selected), but have only have been summoned twice in my adult life outside the years I spent there, including the time I was away at college.

I don't know if it's a difference in crime rates, or the proportion of criminal cases that take plea deals before going to trial or what, but should be possible to avoid establishing your legal residence in a jury duty hotspot.

tenant13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
I was seriously eying TravelingMailbox Miami address but it seems that some institutions might have issues with it. More data would help so if anyone can pitch in, I'd like to hear it.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:36 AM »
I was seriously eying TravelingMailbox Miami address but it seems that some institutions might have issues with it. More data would help so if anyone can pitch in, I'd like to hear it.

I use the TravelingMailbox Seattle address, and because it's a street address (they all are) I've had no problems with banks, brokerages, insurance, etc. The box # that goes with the address is a 5-digit number that the TravelingMailbox folks don't care if you put "unit" or "apartment" or anything else in front of it.

Meaning - I can say my address is 1037 NE 65th, Apt 12345, Seattle WA 98115  and Vanguard likes it. That's the Seattle TM address (all the box #'s there have 5 digits, I'm assuming this is true at any of the addresses in the system). It looks like a residential address.

YMMV but it works for me!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »

Not sure if you meant what I wrote below about trouble I had with two particular institutions (And to be specific, I was using the Tallahassee address, not the Miami address).

We use a Florida mailing address with Traveling Mailbox and have generally been happy with it. Good online interface, etc, fast and cheap enough forwarding, sometimes get an annoying fee if a "package" gets delivered to our Florida address (I complained the first time it happened, was a thick book they treated as a package, I haven't got any more package fees since I complained).
Most financial institutions took the address, but we had some trouble. Bank of America and Ally Bank both recognized it as a mail forwarding service, and said we could use it as a mailing address but that we would need a different physical address (used a relative). My wife tried to open an account with some financial institution using that address when the conversation got weird with the agent wondering "are you sure you live in an UPS store?" (that account got closed...)

After the trouble with BoA and Ally, I wrote to their customer service (which is generally pretty responsive). I got the following response:

"Since we are listed as a Commercial Mail Receiving Address, the addresses may not always be used for residential purposes but can be used for mailing purposes. Some institutions will only accept residential addresses and that is a policy of theirs that we cannot override. You may contact these institutions directly to see if they are able to override their system to allow the address."

My take away from this is there is some list or data base of Commercial mail receiving agencies. Some institutions may be do more due diligence about consulting such a list, if it exists. I didn't really dig in further than the above communication. So I don't know if it is the same for all companies, or even all addresses that travelling mailbox uses.

tenant13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
the addresses may not always be used for residential purposes

This is clearly less than ideal. They don't advertise that info: "Traveling Mailbox only offers real physical street addresses." Which is true but as you found out physical street address is not the same as residential address.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »

They all do require a year of residency, so my calculations include two years of out of state and two years of in state for state schools other than those in NC.  I plan to call every schools she is admitted to prior to her decision since our income will drop substantially and our residency might change to figure out the true cost.  Establishing residency in a state without a permanent fixed address seems to be the tricky part.  I can't imagine any state that has state income tax turning us down for residency, but just wondering if anyone has had residency denied because of a lack of a fixed address.

You need to be VERY VERY careful that you understand the rules for qualifying for residency fully and completely, especially if you do not have a job or a fixed residence.  I moved back to Seattle so my son could attend a special program at the UW.  We came back in June 2015.  He had to take one class for credit in spring 2016 and since we hadn't been back for a year yet he was classed as a non-resident.  I applied to get his status changed to resident for the fall (when he enrolled as a freshman), but since I didn't have proof of a local job they required that I provide spending records for the prior 12 months to prove I was actually physically in the state -- I guess that is because it is easy to "fake" a residence for a family with just an apartment lease and some utility bills in your name.  In my original submission, I included credit card statements where my husband was the primary but I was an authorized user -- they would not accept those.  I had to provide a bill in MY name with enough local spending on things like groceries, gas, etc. that would convince them I actually lived here.

I guess it makes sense -- there is a 24k price difference on tuition for residents versus non-residents.  I had no idea they would scrutinize that closely, though -- especially since I was physically here.  You have to provide proof, though, especially if you don't have a local job.

Thanks for the words of warning.  Luckily she is getting merit awards that are around equal to in state tuition at most places so maybe we'll have no issues.  I assumed a university would allow in state tuition to a dependent child of a parent that has their cars registered in the state, has drivers licenses in that state and files state tax returns as a resident but it sounds like I was incorrect. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:54:03 AM by Unique User »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2018, 10:19:04 AM »
The commercial address database is a pain in the ass. We live in a no tax state but nobody else in our families does, and likely never will. Urgh!