Author Topic: Unexpectedly Retired  (Read 3302 times)

schof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Schof.org
Unexpectedly Retired
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »
I'm 45. I had reached my FI point and was already semi-retired (working three days a week as a programmer for a major tech co) when they unexpectedly discontinued the product my team was working on and laid me off.

I didn't get hired part-time at my most-recent job, I was hired full-time and then transitioned to part time because FI. I don't think I'd be able to be hired part-time anywhere, and I don't really want to apply for a full-time job. I have 1/2 custody of my young son, and I like that during 1/2 the week he's with me (no daycare).

Financially I'm in fine shape, but I'm finding myself lazing around the house and not accomplishing much. (It's been a month.) Any advice or areas to investigate for the suddenly retired?

Blackeagle

• Bristles
Re: Unexpectedly Retired
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
I don't know what sort of programming you've been doing, but it seems like there are probably options out there for part time work as a contractor or consultant.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
You have run into a problem that only FIREees get to experience.  What is the meaning of my existence and what should I be doing?  Enjoy the ride.

ThriftyStashMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
What are you passionate about? Environment? Poverty? Politics? I'm on several boards that keep me energized and alive. How about things that support your son and his friends - coaching, substitute teaching, Scouts?

Glad you did the hard work on the front half of your life to have the freedom on the back end. Well done.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Stay on a schedule. Set your alarm, get up and do the morning routine stuff, get breakfast/lunch/dinner around the same times and go to bed around the same times each night. Set a limit on how long you dawdle around the house. Plan on one errand/outing a day. Could be grocery run, go for a bike/hike/gym, do the laundry or whatever. But get a routine down and don't go off the rails with the late nights, hours on the computer doing fuckall, or forgetting when you last showered. It is too easy to just fall into this type of slothfulness when you're suddenly free from all major commitments.

Do you want to work? If so, start getting your resume spiffed up, contact colleagues and other companies you've worked with in the past, and start looking around for gigs. Definitely consider doing contract work since you don't want a full time schedule. Put the word out that you are interested in short term stuff and since you're technically FIREd, you don't have to take anything that doesn't sound fun to you.

You also could technically go look outside your field of expertise since you're not dependent on the payscale. If you have interests or skills that you never tapped before, check that stuff out. You literally could start over in a brand new career if that sounds like an intriguing challenge.

And again, no money necessary? Volunteer work is a super avenue to explore. Check out charities in your area that you have an interest in. You could do basic stuff, or you could also offer your skills in your former career if they have a need/use for them. In any case, most places will let you volunteer as little or as much as you'd like and set your own schedule. I personally work at a wildlife rehab, a therapeutic horse-riding facility (for children), and eventually hope to work on Habitat For Humanity stuff.

You could also concentrate on yourself. Get healthy by learning how to cook better foods, exercise, take up some new hobbies, go back to school (not for a degree unless that sounds like a fun challenge), clean and organize your living space and streamline/curate your collections or stuff... there's tons of things to do. ;)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
It takes everyone a different amount of time to figure things out unless you fired too something. Mine was quick and it took me about 6 months. I am still lazy....lol , but I do get alot of stuff done first! So in the end just give it a bit more time and challenge yourself each day with perhaps a list of things to do, try or get done.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Financially I'm in fine shape, but I'm finding myself lazing around the house and not accomplishing much. (It's been a month.) Any advice or areas to investigate for the suddenly retired?

LOL, I did that for like 6 months after FIRE.

If you plan on going back to work, start working on that. Otherwise, give yourself some time to adjust to the mindset of not working on a regular schedule. Do stuff around the house that you've been putting off, garden, play with your kid, read, go for a bike ride or walk, take a nap when/if you get tired. Learn new skills. Can also think of getting in shape like a job, set a schedule (certain classes/routing at the gym?), just don't overdo it and injure yourself :)

mstr d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »
Wake up every morning and start your healthy eating routine. Followed by walking outside in nature or cycling.

And now is a good time to get in the best shape of your life. Whatch some free youtube videos from scooby home workout. He is also kind of a mustachian promoting honest bodybuilding and fitness and the same financial advice.  He is also early retired.

If you still have questions about , what to do with your life ... just live! I recommend watching some sadhguru videos about your questions what to do with your life. And getting insight what is impprtant for you in your life.

Rent out your home and start traveling in asia somewhere cheap. Like gabriel traveling bloq.

And if you like programming. What about designing your own boardgame and publishing it with the gamecrafter in small numbers.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
You should develop your own app and have some fun with it. Since there's no pressure for it to be successful, you could enjoy developing it and putting it out there and maybe make a website and a forum for some socialization. It doesn't matter if it doesn't work out, since you are already FIRE. Just a thought.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »
I'm not retired yet, but have been giving it some thought.

I'd like feedback too.

I was thinking about taking one of these locksmith courses or maybe small engine mechanics.  These seem to be niche jobs, needed everywhere.  They also have the option of giving you somewhat flexible work hours.  There are exceptions with the locksmith idea because people don't want to wait if locked out of a building.

Other than that aren't there an infinite amount of fine books to read?