Author Topic: Snowbirds: What's your migration pattern?  (Read 50032 times)

EndlessJourney

• Stubble
  • Nomad? Yes, Mad!
    • 7 Years Round the World by Motorcycle
Re: Snowbirds: What's your migration pattern?
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2018, 04:52:03 AM »
Loving your blog...it seems like you guys have been on the road full time for 6 years...hubby and i are thinking of doing similar once kids have flown the roost...

We used to do some biking in North Thailand years ago!   (not your size though!)

Mind sharing your estimated annual budget (all up) including all transport, living expenses?

A rough figure will do !

Looks like my original post got deleted?

We haven't kept strict track of the budget, but we aim to average about $30/day per person. Sometimes we're waaay over (Scandinavia, Alaska, Switzerland, Singapore) but a lot of times we're way under (Central America, SE Asia). That's all in - transport, repairs, living expenses.

What's helped us tremendously is how many people around the world keep up with our blog and have offered us a place to stay, a warm meal and a garage to work on our bikes. That's probably what's allowed us to travel for so long.

You guys should definitely try full-time travel. There seems to be a hump at the 12-18 month mark where a lot of people decide they've had enough and then go back to sedentary life - the proverbial "Gap Year". But after that, most overlanders continue on for multi-year journeys.

Rivertop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »
We are not snowbirds yet, although we can't wait to join that group! Wait, can we be snowbirds if we live in Texas?

We have always vacationed in the Florida panhandle and love it there. Friends introduced us to Gulf Shores a few years ago and we love it there too. It's a little more casual and laid back than the panhandle, in my opinion. Same sugar white sand and blue water, and 3 hours closer to us. We bought a beachfront condo in a more remote area of GS so we could enjoy it when we want and possibly move there later. We rent it out when we're not there and it generates some income to cover costs. Snowbirds are plentiful there in the winter - rates are so reasonable and all of the local stores and restaurants cater to snowbirds from November through March.

Before we bought, we would search on VRBO or Airbnb and send a stock email to units that interested us, with all of our questions. If you didn't answer our email, that unit got crossed off the list. If I were snowbirding, I would do the same thing. Ask if they have monthly rates, allow pets, discounted rates for any paid amenities, etc.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »
Rivertop:   General Questions.........are you able to rent your condo out as much as you had hoped for?  Have you had any special problems when doing so?    More specific question:  Would you be willing to share the $$ range you charge?  Is there a minimum # of days required?  Are you booked way ahead?

Thanks.

Rivertop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
Rivertop:   General Questions.........are you able to rent your condo out as much as you had hoped for?  Have you had any special problems when doing so?    More specific question:  Would you be willing to share the $$ range you charge?  Is there a minimum # of days required?  Are you booked way ahead?

Thanks.

Happy to share info!

It's slower growth at first. We didn't have the same revenue as the prior owners for the first year, and we had replaced all of the furniture and painted. But it picked up - I think it was a timing thing. Our high season is Memorial Day through Labor Day and we are usually pretty well booked. I looked this morning and I only have a couple of weekends in July available, and I think those will book. We typically start seeing the summer book up in April. The fall is our slow time and when we do any big maintenance or renovations. Snowbirds usually come in right after Christmas and New Years. I watch for cheap airfare and will go there and work from the condo for a week when it's not rented. We also take our summer vacation there in July and sometimes for spring break. If we do that we miss out on those rental weeks.

Are you asking if we have problems with our renters? We have not. We used to own two rental houses in the town where we live and we did have issues with our long term renters. I much prefer short term rentals. We have a small guest house next to our main house that we put on Airbnb last year. In my opinion, short term guests are much better! Since we don't live at the beach, we have a property manager to keep watch, although I'll probably take over that job in the next year. Good, dependable cleaners are the biggest barrier, in my opinion.

I don't mind sharing our general rates: you can typically see them in VRBO, Airbnb, etc. We have a 2BR/2BA. The high season brings in $280-$400 (July 4th)/night, and in the winter we are at $89/night. The rates change based on demand. We have a 2 or 3 day minimum, depending on the time of year. To compare, our guest house, which is just in our backyard and not at the beach or in a tourist town, rents for $85-$90/night and it's typically booked 20 nights a month - it would be booked more if we wanted it to be. Some people will heavily discount their rates for unsold nights. I don't mess with that because if it's high season, those last minute bookers will book, and we don't feel pressure  to book as many nights as possible. My opinion is that it's such a comfy updated condo, unsold nights keep it that way and give me the chance to get down there and enjoy it too!

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
Thank you for the information 'rivertop'.  It's crossed our minds to do either of those:  rent a condo for a few days, or buy one to rent out to others.  Not thinking too seriously about it, but we've discussed it.  Nice to get some information from someone who is already set up for it.

Who knows........we might be your next renter !!!!!!   Thanks again.

Rivertop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
Thank you for the information 'rivertop'.  It's crossed our minds to do either of those:  rent a condo for a few days, or buy one to rent out to others.  Not thinking too seriously about it, but we've discussed it.  Nice to get some information from someone who is already set up for it.

Who knows........we might be your next renter !!!!!!   Thanks again.

Anytime! I'm happy to share what I know. We kind of fell into the rental thing, and real estate has been good to us. I like to do research and I researched a lot before we pulled the trigger on the beach condo. We always wanted to own something on the beach, and although I wanted a giant house on the beach, the condo is great.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
Quote from: spartana on January 30, 2015, 08:28:57 AM
"Most other ER'd and R'd people I know who do the snowbird thing do it backwards like me - have a permanent home somewhere warm and leave for cooler places in summer. The downside of that is that it is often more expensive and more crowded. The upside is that the weather is generally better and the days are longer."

I originally posted the above but now that I've moved to a mountain town I find I prefer to stay there in the summer and winter (for skiing) and travel in late spring and early fall instead. Avoids the crowds and heat and wildfires of summer and much less expensive too. Plus I think spring and fall are the prettiest time of year with the best weather in many places in the US. So not really a snowbird but close enough.

You're not a snowbird. You are a flowerbird (spring) and leafbird (fall).

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
We have been scouring the US for places with decent winter weather, acceptable summer weather, diverse dining, low cost and culture, particularly a university.  It's not that easy.

Any place with snow is out. The northwest is too rainy and expensive. Southeast is not our cup of tea and muggy summers. Austin is only nice place in Texas but too many allergies and hipsters. Palm Springs is over priced and overrun with vacationing dolts from LA. Santa Fe is too artsy and Adobe for us.

Currently mulling over Reno and Tucson. Leaning toward Arizona in general but only areas with enough elevation to survive summer.

Suggestions?

Sedona, Prescott & Flagstaff should go on your list to consider.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
We do reverse migration!
Snowy Canada for winter, sunny France for summer.
Stupid eh?
Started as a work necessity—but we realized that winter in Canada is beautiful. No bugs, no bears, fewer tourists, no fires. Snowshoeing, xc skiing. Winter biking. And hyyge times at home.
Looove it.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
I'm spending the month of mid Dec- mid Jan near the Salton Sea.  Very pleasant below sea level... 70 degree days (although hot in the sun) and 40 degree nights.  I don't have heat in my van, but doing OK with heavy covers.  The place I'm staying is $355 or $380 a month for dry camping.  Includes pools, mineral hot tubs, steam room, gym, library, yoga, activities and much more.  Probably 90% are in the 55+ age group but some younger people too.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2018, 06:02:55 AM »
We live in Michigan from April through Dec. and then we rent a double-wide in a 55 + park in Bradenton, Fl.  We ended up there because my husband has a cousin who owns a place there.  We have to rent through April, but my husband just can't stay there that long and gets antsy to return to Mi.  So, this year, we are able to, with the owners permission, sublet April to my son-in-law's mom and dad.  Saves us some money.  I can see us down the road renting in other places after a few years, maybe in Arizona.  We are the type of people who aren't interested in going back to the same places year after year.  For this reason, I doubt we would ever buy anything in one place. 
                                                                                       Miss Prim

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:50 PM »
"Most other ER'd and R'd people I know who do the snowbird thing do it backwards like me - have a permanent home somewhere warm and leave for cooler places in summer. The downside of that is that it is often more expensive and more crowded. The upside is that the weather is generally better and the days are longer."

I originally posted the above but now that I've moved to a mountain town I find I prefer to stay there in the summer and winter (for skiing) and travel in late spring and early fall instead. Avoids the crowds and heat and wildfires of summer and much less expensive too. Plus I think spring and fall are the prettiest time of year with the best weather in many places in the US. So not really a snowbird but close enough.

After catching up on all your recent Fall adventures I'd say you're quite the Leaf Bird too. Although getting away from hurricanes for a few months can be a pretty good motivator to get out of Florida in the Fall ;-). I still like traveling in spring and fall and holing up somewhere mountainy in summer and winter myself, but this year I will travel in winter too.

Just saw this response.

Yes I had a nice 6 week trip this past fall. You should have joined us in Moab!

Maybe a ski meetup in SLC in late March/early April?

What will I do with all of this time in FIRE? Aren't I bored without a job? NOT!!!

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »
PTF. Especially since it’s so cold in much of North America right now.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »

After catching up on all your recent Fall adventures I'd say you're quite the Leaf Bird too. Although getting away from hurricanes for a few months can be a pretty good motivator to get out of Florida in the Fall ;-). I still like traveling in spring and fall and holing up somewhere mountainy in summer and winter myself, but this year I will travel in winter too.

Just saw this response.

Yes I had a nice 6 week trip this past fall. You should have joined us in Moab!

Maybe a ski meetup in SLC in late March/early April?

What will I do with all of this time in FIRE? Aren't I bored without a job? NOT!!!
Yes being FIREd is awful. No one should do it ;-).

I followed your adventures on the Moab meet up thread and @NinetyFour journal and it looked like such a good time. I was off doing something or other (can't remember what) but maybe next year. I'm still trying out my homeless travel-wings and deciding if I prefer the snowbird thing (or Leaf Bird/Flower Bird thing) or the full time slow travel thing. Both have a lot of appeal.

Ha! Moab was only one week of my 6 week trip.

You know nothing, Spartana!

(reference to you know nothing Jon Snow)

I went on a binge watching spree of Game of Thrones right after FIRE. I only went through 4 seasons and need to catch up on the rest. As far as I know, winter is still coming and hasn't arrived.