Author Topic: Serious "one more year" syndrome - advice appreciated  (Read 16641 times)

Omy

• Stubble
Re: Serious "one more year" syndrome - advice appreciated
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
Update: DH told boss today of his intention to retire soon. Boss was shocked, but supportive. And I didn't even have a panic attack.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:25 AM »
Update: DH told boss today of his intention to retire soon. Boss was shocked, but supportive. And I didn't even have a panic attack.

Hurray!, he is quitting soon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:51:55 PM by Linea_Norway »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2019, 05:20:02 AM »
I'm very late to your thread @Omy, but wanted to chime in and offer support.  Your recent developments (DH voicing his plans at work) are fantastic!  Now go for it!  Freedom is near for both of you.  I FIREd in January from a cash firehose job, at the sweet spot of my career.  Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.  FIRE is even better than I imagined it would be. 

Come on over to the 2019 FIRE Cohort thread:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/2019-fire-cohort/2450/  Lots of folks there have wrestled the OMY demon and have come out the other side.  You can do it!

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2019, 06:04:29 AM »
Joining the 2019 cohort thread would def help make it real. He is open to retiring in June...or staying 6 months to a year if they give him a big severance package at the end. I asked if he preferred to just quit now, but it sounds like he would be equally happy to continue for a bit if there's a big enough carrot at the end. I then realized that I would be happy with the carrot....but slightly disappointed that we wouldn't be making the jump right away. That realization was a shocker to me. Maybe my OMY syndrome is just about cured.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »
I then realized that I would be happy with the carrot....but slightly disappointed that we wouldn't be making the jump right away. That realization was a shocker to me. Maybe my OMY syndrome is just about cured.

You're gonna have to change your name!

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
Joining the 2019 cohort thread would def help make it real. He is open to retiring in June...or staying 6 months to a year if they give him a big severance package at the end. I asked if he preferred to just quit now, but it sounds like he would be equally happy to continue for a bit if there's a big enough carrot at the end. I then realized that I would be happy with the carrot....but slightly disappointed that we wouldn't be making the jump right away. That realization was a shocker to me. Maybe my OMY syndrome is just about cured.

Oh my, donít trade any more of your lives for money!  You have already achieved fat-fire!!  I have refrained from telling my latest story, but you can guess.

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:13 AM »
I agree. If he decides to work another year, it doesn't mean I have to. And I'm so sorry if you've lost another young friend, RCC.

Perhaps I will change my name to "Nomy", MJ.

deborah

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »
One minus year.

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
Minor update...I joined the 2019 cohort thread so I guess it's official. DH is leaving in July and I am wrapping up what will probably be my final transaction at the end of June. I feel lighter already.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:10 AM »
Minor update...I joined the 2019 cohort thread so I guess it's official. DH is leaving in July and I am wrapping up what will probably be my final transaction at the end of June. I feel lighter already.

Great..:)

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
Following! 

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2019, 10:51:58 PM »

Thank goodness!!!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2019, 11:51:12 PM »
Sounds like a major update to me!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2019, 05:23:29 AM »

Almost three months from giving the notice and two from leaving, I can say its pretty incredible

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »
So husband announces to me yesterday that his last day will be August 2. He hasn't told boss what his last day will be yet, so I ask why he is delaying. He says that way we get the extra free month of health insurance (which I had learned on this forum...thank you). I ask "How about July 2?" He says he doesn't want to deal with getting a new phone right before our planned vacation in early July (since his current phone is company owned).

I'm still planning to put my license in referral status at the end of June. I guess he has graduated from "one more year" syndrome to "one more month" syndrome. Sheesh.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2019, 08:09:09 AM »
One more month is easier :)

Extended out my date by four days for another two weeks of health insurance

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
So husband announces to me yesterday that his last day will be August 2. He hasn't told boss what his last day will be yet, so I ask why he is delaying. He says that way we get the extra free month of health insurance (which I had learned on this forum...thank you). I ask "How about July 2?" He says he doesn't want to deal with getting a new phone right before our planned vacation in early July (since his current phone is company owned).

I'm still planning to put my license in referral status at the end of June. I guess he has graduated from "one more year" syndrome to "one more month" syndrome. Sheesh.

my mind went right to mathematical limit analysis...  One more year -> One more month -> one more week -> one more day -> one more hour -> one more minute...  I guess the good part of this is that at some point it will line up with some BS meeting and he will just walk out :-)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »
So husband announces to me yesterday that his last day will be August 2. He hasn't told boss what his last day will be yet, so I ask why he is delaying. He says that way we get the extra free month of health insurance (which I had learned on this forum...thank you).

Many work plans work that way, but not all -- as I found out when I retired.  Our plan (a good one in other ways) was written so that it only ran until the Saturday following the employee's last day of work. 

It just depends how it is set up.

RecoveringCarClown

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2019, 06:53:57 PM »

Sure, getting a new phone is a hassle ;)

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/24/unleash-your-inner-hasselhoff-for-greater-riches/

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2019, 01:17:19 AM »
I thought that was a weird excuse, too!

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
So COBRA will cost $1300/month to continue our current plan for 18 months (with vision, dental and HSA). That sounds really reasonable given that the market place numbers are $1500-2400/mo for silver plans (no subsidy at our current income levels). Any reasons we shouldn't go down the COBRA route?

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Financial Velociraptor
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
If you like you plan and it is cheaper by all means keep it.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »
So COBRA will cost $1300/month to continue our current plan for 18 months (with vision, dental and HSA). That sounds really reasonable given that the market place numbers are $1500-2400/mo for silver plans (no subsidy at our current income levels). Any reasons we shouldn't go down the COBRA route?

No.  We went on COBRA for 2019.   The price difference basically means your employer's pool of employees is a bit healthier than the ACA participants in your state.   My employer was full of old stressed out people, so the cost difference wasn't much.  We went with COBRA because we were already a good ways into our deductible.   

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:10 AM »

No.  We went on COBRA for 2019.   The price difference basically means your employer's pool of employees is a bit healthier than the ACA participants in your state.

That makes sense. We are assuming that by 2021 (assuming the ACA is still in tact), we might be able to figure out how to get our income under $65k to qualify for a bit of subsidy. If not, I've also considered getting a job long enough to qualify for insurance and ride that COBRA out for another 18 months. Does anybody do that?

princeradar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
Engineer friend of mine died last week, leaving a wife and baby behind. Not even 40 years old yet.

You and your husband have basically no chance of running out of money if you follow the basic MMM guidelines.  At this point, it's just how much of your life do you want to force your husband to keep working?

I find the "Rich Broke Dead" visualizer to be useful. I put in a rough approximation of your numbers. The red area (none) is "broke" and the grey area is "dead".

http://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/?utm_source=mmm

Wow this is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
That calculator was one of the catalysts for me to stop my "one more year" syndrome. Being able to see that death was going to get me before lack of money would was a real eye opener.

Rdy2Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 06:03:23 AM »
Great thread and great info; thanks everyone