Author Topic: Retired people problems (just for fun)  (Read 22944 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Retired people problems (just for fun)
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
I love the Mustachian People Problems (just for fun) thread that Heather started over in General Discussion.  I thought I would add the same topic here for those of us who are retired.

I'll start off with holidays.  Today is Family Day in Ontario, most things are closed.  They are messing with my Monday, when I can normally shop/do activities/whatever without lots of people around.  Now almost everyone is home and things are closed.  Such a big problem, I know  ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Retired people problems (just for fun)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:00:54 AM »
One more, for those of us under 65 (i.e. most of us).  We are retired but not eligible for senior discounts.  Woe is us.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
*Not retired yet, but I feel like it sometimes*.

When you are all gung-ho about a big project that you're doing, and go to get everything together, only to find out you need a necessary piece....and all the stores are closed because it's a holiday/sunday.

*We paid off our house, and with no mortgage, our monthly expenses are $1k or less-- so I quit my soul-sucking job and am delivering pizza four nights/week. Three days completely off, and four days where I only work 5pm 'til 1-2amish or shorter. Yes, another (better) job is in the plans, but this summer, I'm working on remodeling the house so it'll be rentable.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:31:47 AM »
One more, for those of us under 65 (i.e. most of us).  We are retired but not eligible for senior discounts.  Woe is us.

Hm, lots of senior discounts in the US start at 55.  Might wanna  check :)

Also, he's not really 'retired' per say, though maybe he should start framing it that way (probably better mental health wise)...my DH is disabled and had to resign from work this past summer; I was looking at changing up our homeowner's insurance terms to save some money and noticed there was an option to check a box for 'retired homeowner.'  The definition provided on the website is literally just "does not work."  So, at 29, DH is retired and saving us money on the insurance :D

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:40:18 AM »
A lot of the Canadian Drug stores have senior's discounts starting at age 55.

Also, at the movies...I don't think you need to prove your age.

Here is a link to more:
http://www.senioryears.com/canadiandeals.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:44:03 AM by kathrynd »

tracylayton

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »
A big one that ER and ER-wannabes talk about a lot here - no one to play with during the day time because everyone your age is still working.

Exactly!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
I will check (online).  I was thinking of Bulk Barn, which is very clear that Senior's discounts start at 65, and only on Wednesdays (that is their student discount day as well).  Also, my bank starts giving free basic banking at 65.

I visited my sister 2 weeks ago, just outside Palm Springs, and the Desert Adventures jeep tour into the San Andreas fault zone had a discount starting at 62.  Win!   We just kept hoping that "the big one" wouldn't happen while we were there (obviously it didn't), although in some parts of the tour a flash flood would have been much more disastrous.

Hm, lots of senior discounts in the US start at 55.  Might wanna  check :)

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
When I had hair, it was all white and I got the discounts in my 40s.  Initially, I  tried to tell them I wasn't at that age, but they gave it anyway so I just took them.  Around here it is usually 10%.  My bad.

Not so worried about nobody to play with as I find enough to do, but I do miss the teamwork of working on a project.  Not enough to find a job though.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »
No more employee discounts....

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 07:12:15 PM »
In Australia each state gives a "seniors" card to everyone who isn't working over the age of 60. Almost everywhere bases their discounts on presentation of a seniors card. So when that happens, I will get cheap public transport and all sorts of other things. Looking forward to it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
I forgot how awful weekends are for doing errands - I needed to do something in Ottawa with DD's help, and that meant a weekend.  Oh the agony.  Traffic was OK, but since I try to do all my city errands at once that meant the library and Costco and Costco gas and a few other places.  Me and everyone else all doing their errands.  Not fun.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »
Yes, it is a challenge to remember not to book appointments in the city at 9am, or I get caught in a traffic jam and realise it is 5pm.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
I am anticipating this terrible problem after I turn 70 years old, which is still a few years away.   Between my IRA RMD and starting my delayed social security benefits my income is going to be so high I am going to have to pay taxes!

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 06:34:36 AM »
I can relate to you Treetired.  Our income when we take our SS. will actually be more than we bring home now!  That is due to the fact that I was only working part-time for the last few years and DH was only bringing in his pension and income from a small part-time business!  That is not even touching our stache.  My taxes will be bigger in retirement.  I guess it is a good thing!

Miss Prim

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:26 PM »
I think along with retired problems goes a lot of "millionaire problems" as well..:)

I'm a millionaire.. gosh, look at the cost of healthcare..:)

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »
This looks like a great thread!  Commenting to follow along with the updates!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
...no one to play with during the day time because everyone your age is still working.

+1.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »
I can't get a mortgage.  We're selling our home and hoped to move then sell to get the best price.  But can't get a mortgage on the new place regardless of over a hundred grand down due to not having enough "income" never mind that the other house is paid in full and the Ira's are stuffed full.  Aargh...  Not 59 1/2. Rolled the last 401kover too soon.  Dang it all. 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »
A big one that ER and ER-wannabes talk about a lot here - no one to play with during the day time because everyone your age is still working.

This is the one that most worries me about when I FIRE!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »
I can't get a mortgage.  We're selling our home and hoped to move then sell to get the best price.  But can't get a mortgage on the new place regardless of over a hundred grand down due to not having enough "income" never mind that the other house is paid in full and the Ira's are stuffed full.  Aargh...  Not 59 1/2. Rolled the last 401kover too soon.  Dang it all.

I think I read somewhere that you can set up a scheduled monthly direct deposit from your investment account to your checking account. After a few months, you can show this to the mortgage bank as "income." I would recommend talking to your loan officer about this to find out if this will work for you and how much it should be for in order to qualify you. You can then cancel it once the mortgage is finalized.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »

This is the one that most worries me about when I FIRE!

Me too. We are currently trialling our post-FIRE life for three weeks. We seem to be spending all of our time with people 2-3 decades our senior! Hopefully once we are here full-time and our son is in the local school and sports teams we'll find more people our age.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
Fun thread. :)

Today, after my gym workout (yeah, a day after a half marathon) and a shower I went over to the neighbourhood park. The day was warm and sunny, which usually means a pleasant scattering of folks about, which allows for some nice "people watching" (my wife and I have a "look all you want but don't touch" policy). :)

Anyway, I placed my blanket on the ground, cranked up my iPod tunes, and looked around to see nothing but big trees, some scampering squirrels, and a few crows poking about the grass looking for grubs. And a distinct lack of humans. Then I realized it was 1:00pm on a Monday! I had a humungous park field all to my self. A bit unnerving to be truthful. A true first world retired person problem. ;)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »
Having time to sit and write is a godsend. But I do first drafts in longhand, and I'm getting a doozy of a callus on my right hand middle finger at the side of the first knuckle…just like in the old days of elementary school. And my harp calluses are much more noticeable since I have plenty of time to just sit and play for pleasure now. So my hands look more like worker's hands than when I was actually working.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 05:07:06 PM »
Not yet technically retired but psychologically I feel like it as a self-employed WAHM...

My problem - going golfing this weekend for the first time with my father-in-law and I have to go buy a collared shirt to get into his country club. I don't own one since last year I donated all my professional clothes to Goodwill. Now I gotta drive around and find something that looks nice that I will only wear to this one place.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
Retired people go shop at Goodwill (and rent their shirt back, then re-donate it for the write-off hopefully!)

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »
I post things that are anti-work on my Facebook page and I don't think they are well received. :)

Not there yet but mentally I am.

Also, wish there was a subscribe button.  Sometimes I have nothing to say but love the topic.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »
Having time to sit and write is a godsend. But I do first drafts in longhand, and I'm getting a doozy of a callus on my right hand middle finger at the side of the first knuckle…just like in the old days of elementary school. And my harp calluses are much more noticeable since I have plenty of time to just sit and play for pleasure now. So my hands look more like worker's hands than when I was actually working.

This made me smile so much!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Okay, here's mine...

Being unable to sleep late due to the neighbor's lawn crew cranking their mowers and blowers up at 7:30am.

Forgetting what day it is. (it's already starting!!)

Going out to run errands, and forgetting that school lets out at a specific time just as I'm taking that route to get back home, so getting caught in the idling school traffic/turtle pace through the school zone. And I live in a neighborhood where the elementary school is right in the middle... I see kids on my street driven the quarter mile to school and their parents waiting in line idling their cars to drive their kids home. I'd walk that every day if I had kids, as there are awesome sidewalks with shade trees all the way there and back!

Staying up way too late because I have no reason to get up at a "normal" time any more.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 10:56:23 AM »
Also, wish there was a subscribe button.  Sometimes I have nothing to say but love the topic.

There IS a notify button at the bottom right, but it's not nearly as nice as the page from 'Show new replies to your posts'.  I usually end up commenting to follow. 

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »
Thanks Cinder, wasn't sure what that button was for. :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
When I first ER'd I found lots of SAH types, 2nd shift or graveyard workers, seasonal/temp workers, students, etc... (both male and female) to do things with during the day. Most, in their 20's and early 30's, were younger than me but also less encumbered by spouses and/or family, house chores, and professional work obligations.  There were also many in their 40's and 50's (and older) who were ER'd or just R'd and very active too. And if you check out the various meet ups and activity groups you'll fund lots of people looking for others who are free mid week day times to hang with. So it really hasn't been a problem.

Trippy! I am great at finding and gathering people, but not during the day! I started several Meetup groups, and organized activities within existing ones -only two people available/interested during "business hours". Even in Vancouver, the only activity that could get enough commitment was writing. Bah.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
I find one of the big benefits of being ER when everyone you know is still working is that now I can devote more of my M - F 9 to 5 time to me (me! me! me! me! me!), as well as all those crappy chores I still have to do, and am free on evenings and weekends to do fun thing with people when they are off work. No more running around like a crazy woman trying to fit everything in on my limited time off. So it all works out nicely.

Yes, this!

I've accepted that while I'm working FT, I won't have much of a social life (priorities before socializing = exercise class and solitude).

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 05:08:40 AM »
So far all my socializing is with people who are on maternity leave, disability leave, or self-employed, with some dabbling with working people on lunch break and at a volunteer place. It's only been 3.5 weeks but I haven't been lacking for people to interact with. Haven't had to do Meet-up stuff yet but probably will eventually.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »
We wake up in the morning and sometimes can't remember what the hell day it is!!  Jeez! 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
Hmmm, can't think of any.  :) 

I'll spend part of the day in the hammock tomorrow devoting serious thought to this question.  Just kidding!  Too busy for that.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 03:53:28 PM »
When you miss getting to sit in pointless meeting that suck the life out of you and are keeping you from doing all your real work that is piling up.... Oh right, you never miss that.

cynmac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Original Recipe Punk Rock Girl
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 02:32:35 AM »

I think I read somewhere that you can set up a scheduled monthly direct deposit from your investment account to your checking account. After a few months, you can show this to the mortgage bank as "income." I would recommend talking to your loan officer about this to find out if this will work for you and how much it should be for in order to qualify you. You can then cancel it once the mortgage is finalized.

Also, look at credit unions.  My credit union will make a deposit "loan"  that looks like a mortgage for tax purposes BUT is secured by funds you have on deposit with them.
[/quote]

cynmac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Original Recipe Punk Rock Girl
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 02:34:12 AM »

This is the bane of my existence.  I tend to have Vampire Hours, where I sleep all day and stay up all night.  Messes with my meds too.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
You spend most of the day on the ABC News website answering idiots who comment that MMM is a fraud and MUST have had an inheritance and ER is therefore impossible.

Some people!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »
Another retired people's problem - no clothes if I need to dress up or go to some kind of businessy luncheon or dinner as I now only own shorts, tee shirts and tennis shoes.

Oh and sun burn and possible skin damage from too much time out doors playing instead of indoors working!
I'm down to one white dress shirt, a couple pairs of dress pants, and three ties.  No jacket left.  T-shirts and shorts and flip-flops for the Gulf Coast!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »
Or you spend time on the MMM website forums saying how great it is and people tell you that you can't do it on a small income and you must be bored and have no life if you are doing it. Sigh.... Guess that means it's time to stop posting for that day and ride my bike to the beach to play volleyball and surf. Ya know, be bored cause ...low income means boring life :-)!

But please don't leave the Forum completely because you inspire those who are pre-FIRE to enjoy FIRE vicariously and stay on track!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:48 AM »
I've just re-discovered how addictive and relaxing Solitaire is--with a real deck of playing cards. The good news is that it relaxes my mind and gets me thinking up creative ideas. The reason it's a problem is that I can sit out on the screened porch these beautiful spring mornings and just play endless hands. (Need to get moving!--books to write, music to practice, walks to take!)

Lazyretirementgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Handlebar
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
We just re-fi'd with Bank of America. They have a program where they took our IRAs and calculated a theoretical 10 year income from them to qualify us. ( we are both work-free). Easy as pie.

earlyFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
We just re-fi'd with Bank of America. They have a program where they took our IRAs and calculated a theoretical 10 year income from them to qualify us. ( we are both work-free). Easy as pie.

Helpful info, thank you!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
I get to drink a third glass of iced tea at lunch, as I don't have to be back at the office in that ridiculous 1hour lunch break.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »
Going to the movies with the other half in the middle of the day and realise you're the youngest ones there..:)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
I get to drink a third glass of iced tea at lunch, as I don't have to be back at the office in that ridiculous 1hour lunch break.

Especially if they are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea,    - an idea for my eventual early retirement.  Just once, that will probably be enough.

At the present, it is my custom not to take lunch breaks, as we only get 30minutes, and I refuse to rush food intake.

PTF mostly.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »
I think along with retired problems goes a lot of "millionaire problems" as well..:)

That's the same line of thought that goes with I'm not rich.
The million is not money you're going to spend, it is only there to generate income.
So regarding rich, your only as rich as the money the stache generates.
Although those without the million don't see it that way! :-)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »

That's the same line of thought that goes with I'm not rich.
The million is not money you're going to spend, it is only there to generate income.
So regarding rich, your only as rich as the money the stache generates.
Although those without the million don't see it that way! :-)

I think that was a perfect way to put it!

In my mind I'm thinking $100k/year doesn't sound rich to me... But then.. I don't generate this income via a job either!

I think the other problem is that "rich" is a relative term.. I.e If everybody had $10m, then having $2.5m would not be rich. The sad thing is with the appallingly low savings rate, $1m is "rich beyond our wildest dreams" to most folk.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »

Especially if they are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea,    - an idea for my eventual early retirement.  Just once, that will probably be enough.

At the present, it is my custom not to take lunch breaks, as we only get 30minutes, and I refuse to rush food intake.

PTF mostly.

Very good chapter in How to be Idle about rushed lunches. If you haven't read that book I highly recommend it.