Author Topic: pre-FIRE checklist  (Read 163581 times)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: pre-FIRE checklist
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
Inspired by this post regarding losing FSA money, make sure you have a plan to use up the remaining balance in your FSA BEFORE you leave your job.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »
Your company (usually big companies) have a contract with Microsoft for their software. Employees can buy Microsoft product thru a "Home Use Program"

A full version of office is just $9.95. There are limits, 1 every year or so.

So, get your software before you FIRE!

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/hup.aspx?culture=en-US&WT.mc_id=HUPUS7

AussieCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2017, 03:06:42 AM »
This great, obviously some practical differences between countries, but I think the mental health aspects are so important.  We're not even there yet, and I  find myself second guessing and worrying about motives/selfishness/that I'll be lazy and unproductive. The psychology is fascinating!

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
Thanks for compiling all this - I'm finding it helpful!

gardenarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
Wow, that seems overwhelming to me! I really didn't do any of this and survived - and thrived!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 01:20:54 AM »
Great list!  Thank you for compiling.  I would add:

Implement Income Stream.  Set dividends and capital gains from taxable account to automatically transfer to bank account. 

Oooh!.. I was just thinking about this today in fact.

Here in Oregon we get taxed on all after tax dividends as regular income, no matter if they are Qdivs or not.

As our rental income + this after tax dividend income (which is less than our annual spend)  is subject to State income tax we might as well have this dividend income piped directly to our bank accounts.

tag

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
Damn this is a helpful thread. Thank you to all who have contributed.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
Could I ask why you would do this, I'm not extremely familiar with HELOC's but trying to learn the benefits (and any drawbacks) that might apply from this tactic. Thanks!

Just to be clear - what you want to do is set up a HELOC so that you can draw on it in case of emergency, you don't want to actually have a big new loan.  The way mine worked, I got a credit line of $60k but just borrowed 5k.  The rest is still available now even though I retired a couple years ago.

To add here, if you don't own a home you may still want the flexibility of an unsecured line of credit. I'm planning to FIRE in August and got one for 90k. Sure the interest is high (~11%), but it is only to be used in emergencies.

It is very difficult to get these if you're not working.

vatacvalves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2017, 03:47:26 AM »
the good to share

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
Rereading this as my planned FIRE date approaches...

Another item to perhaps consider:  since I am going to use an ACA health insurance plan that will come with a high deductible, I am considering adding "med pay" (medical payments) coverage to my auto insurance.  I called my insurer, and it's an added cost of about $50/ year for $5,000 limits.  I'm generally healthy and don't use much health care, so my thought is that a car accident is one of the more-likely ways in which I might end up incurring a lot of health care expenses suddenly -- med pay would cover all (or most) of the ACA deductible in that instance.

Just food for thought for anyone in similar pre-FIRE circumstances.

Clara Smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:03 PM »
Thanks, Exhale,
your list of information was very helpful. I will surely follow your guidance. :)

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
“Vacation days: Check policy to see how this is paid out when you leave. Use up what you can't cash out.“

Just to add a bit more on this- many companies have a certain day of the month where they grant/allocate vacation or PTO days for that month, so it behooves you to possibly retire right after that date.  For example, my company grants me 18 hours of PTO hours (equivalent to 2.25 days) every month on the 16th for that month.  As such, when picking a retirement date I will almost certainly retire sometime between the 16th and the 31st of the month so I can get a little extra PTO payout. 

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:45 AM »
Thanks for putting this together.  One of the other posters made a point to tell me that he didn't think I was ready to FIRE.  This will help.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 09:26:56 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has added their wisdom and tips. Also, I'm glad to hear that it's been helpful to folks. Gathering all of it together in one place has been useful for me. It's been a great help to see what can be done in advance, deadlines to watch for, etc.

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
A suggestion for under Social Networks or Work...
Ask for LinkedIn (or other written) recommendations from colleagues, and return the favor, in case you should decide to work casually in the future in your field.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
Done - thank you for the tips. I'm not a home owner so if anyone else has more suggestions, please let me know.

I'm not a renter but a landlord. I don't think anyone answered so I will give it a shot.

You may want to renegotiate your lease. Perhaps lock into a 2y lease if you plan to stay where you are. Double check your roommate policy as if you plan to keep your place but travel more you may want a roommate.

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2019, 04:00:42 AM »
I plan to retire at age 56 end of May pending my house sale.  Signed up for Obamacare silver plan.  However, did not qualify for premium subsidy because I, "can get health insurance through my employer" right now even though I will only make around $22000 this year .  This does not seem right, because I will soon lose that coverage as the document healthcare.gov made me submit from my employer states.  Does anyone know if I can somehow update  my info at healthcare.gov so I would qualify for subsidy  after I finally quit job?

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
I’m still a few years away from FIRE but this is great stuff!

One word of caution, be careful when taking work product with you.

- Copy future-useful documents from work computer - Excel templates you created, etc.

Our employee handbook explicitly prohibits this and there could be legal consequences. The intended purpose of the language is to prevent company information going with employees and to their new jobs at competitors but some legal departments may have a blanket rule, regardless of what the employee does after they leave.

Just want to make sure we can ride into the sunset without being chased by briefcase carrying lawyers!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
I plan to retire at age 56 end of May pending my house sale.  Signed up for Obamacare silver plan.  However, did not qualify for premium subsidy because I, "can get health insurance through my employer" right now even though I will only make around $22000 this year .  This does not seem right, because I will soon lose that coverage as the document healthcare.gov made me submit from my employer states.  Does anyone know if I can somehow update  my info at healthcare.gov so I would qualify for subsidy  after I finally quit job?

ACA Subsidies are tricky to understand.  I had a similar issue.  I initially took COBRA because my FIRE year income was too high to qualify.  Later I wanted to cancel COBRA during open enrollment and move over to ACA.  My income was low enough but if I cancelled COBRA, I would not qualify for subsidies.  I had to wait until it expired naturally and then I could sign up for ACA and get subsidies as at was a qualifying event.  In our case that cost us about an extra $5K in premiums for the year.  Expensive but cheaper than paying for ACA without the subsidies.

Talk to your local ACA advisor.  They might understand the options.

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
Thanks.  It worked out better calling healthcare.gov than trying to figure out the convoluted questionnaire.  I observe many in my FIRE 2019 cohort with same issue.  Seeing as my FIRE date keeps changing, delayed due to my house sale contingencies it is nice OBAMACARE is flexible so that I can update my enrollment. 

cangelosibrown

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
Definitely not widely applicable, but alongside getting your professional certifications renewed while still working, make sure you max out any needed Continuing Education requirements for your certification. My company pays for plenty, offers plenty, and has some freely available on the company intranet. For my professional certification, you can roll over CE hours one year. That means that I'm now finishing up hours I need to study in 2020, which means it would be Jan. 2022 before my certification lapses due to lack of Continuing Education.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2019, 02:12:26 PM »
I initially took COBRA because my FIRE year income was too high to qualify.  Later I wanted to cancel COBRA during open enrollment and move over to ACA.  My income was low enough but if I cancelled COBRA, I would not qualify for subsidies.  I had to wait until it expired naturally and then I could sign up for ACA and get subsidies as at was a qualifying event. 

Interesting.  That's not what I've read previously.  While cancelling COBRA is not a qualifying event, you should have been able to enroll in a marketplace plan during open enrollment and qualify for subsidies that you otherwise meet the requirements for, but you stated you were not able to qualify for subsidies when canceling COBRA even during open enrollment despite having a low enough income.  Also, noted that you stated that you spoke with an advisor who confirmed it.

Some related references or discussion:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/cobra-obamacare-subsidy-1738953
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202698

Edit: Previous MMM thread on topic:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/getting-aca-coverage/

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:12:05 PM by FIREstache »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2019, 07:35:01 PM »
If you don't qualify for subsidies, is it better to keep COBRA or to get a Marketplace plan?  My employer is providing gold COBRA.  I'm putting money aside to get 18 months of that.  If I go at the end of the year, the ACA thing should be stabilized in 18 months.  Actually, I think there will be legislation to make it better by then.  Both Democratic and Republican constituents of elected officials want this thing fixed. 

Does the bargaining power of employers get better plans than those of the Marketplace?  I think so.

Can they raise the cost of COBRA on anything but a yearly basis?

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »
If you don't qualify for subsidies, is it better to keep COBRA or to get a Marketplace plan?

That depends on your COBRA plan, and may also depend on whether you actually have to use it.  Through my work, I can get COBRA for much less than a silver plan without subsidies.  And if I actually have to use the insurance, my COBRA plan would have a much lower deductible / out of pocket cost.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2019, 06:01:08 PM »
Thanks - The COBRA plan is better than I have purchased myself from the marketplace.  I'm quite sure the premium will be higher as my employer told me roughly what he is paying.  I'm thinking to stick with it.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
For us going on COBRA was roughly the same cost as a un-subsidised and roughly equivalent Marketplace plan.  Having literally no change to our healthcare insurance was one less thing to deal with immediately post-FIRE.

But the last year on the COBRA work plan from UHC was a major PIA.  We kept getting billed for preventative items that we had confirmed in advance would be no cost.  Then it would take many months to get them to correct the billing error.  One time we were even threatened with collections for a charge that was under active dispute.  That one took over 10 months of hassle before they credited the entire amount.

Post COBRA we moved over to a Kaiser bronze plan.  It is like night and day.  While we have still gotten billed incorrectly a couple of times it has only taken a single phone call and a couple of days to correct the issue.  Kaiser is also much more proactive and conservative regarding what test and procedures we should have and what are not necessary. 

For example, We recently went in for our annual physicals.  I subsequently received a small bill for the blood draw.  I called them up to ask why and they told me they would investigate.  Two days later I was informed that not only had they corrected that charge but that they had also checked my DW's record and found a couple of incorrect charges that they had also credited.  I had not event received the bills for those visits yet.

Another example:  Last year, I unexpectedly received a colon cancer screening test kit (stool sample) in the mail.  Included with the kit was a letter very clearly stating that this was a preventative test and there would be no charge.  I received it automatically because of my age. 

These are just a couple of examples of the type of customer service we receive from Kaiser.  we are very satisfied customers.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2019, 07:36:44 AM »
The list of things under Health in this post are fantastic. Thank you for pulling this together.

10.5 months to go. I've got a lot of shit to get done on this list!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2019, 06:59:13 AM »
“Vacation days: Check policy to see how this is paid out when you leave. Use up what you can't cash out.“

Just to add a bit more on this- many companies have a certain day of the month where they grant/allocate vacation or PTO days for that month, so it behooves you to possibly retire right after that date.  For example, my company grants me 18 hours of PTO hours (equivalent to 2.25 days) every month on the 16th for that month.  As such, when picking a retirement date I will almost certainly retire sometime between the 16th and the 31st of the month so I can get a little extra PTO payout.

There was a thread somewhere about running out your vacation time (instead of taking the payout). By running out the time, you get the full value of the payout + employer benefits (e.g. 401k match, healthcare coverage), which can be a better financial decision than taking the payout. Many thanks to original poster of that thread, I hadn't considered run out vs payout previously.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2020, 09:27:42 AM »
Just saw this and think it will come in handy as I head into FIRE in the next decade or so if all stays on track.  Thanks for pulling this together!

Joan-eh?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
following!

thank you for this! what a community and thanks for leadership

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »
I wanted to follow up on the FSA medical spending for pre-FIRE. The rules allow you to spend ALL the FSA monies in the year you leave before having them withheld from your paycheck. So, if you are planning FIRE earlier in the year (say March/April), you can go ahead and spend your full FSA amounts without ever having them withheld from your paycheck. Consider it a FIRE bonus.  The company uses prior year FSA funds that were not spent to cover the excess for people who quit after spending more than contributed. It's a benefits loophole to be utlized. 

So if you have a lot of dental/eye items that need to be taken care of, max the FSA for the year, get it all done in January/February and then FIRE.  Thousands of "free" medical covered.

xbdb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
While not a necessity by any means, I picked up a retirement count down clock from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPC1RFG a few months before I FIRED. I kept it on my nightstand so the first thing I saw in the morning is that I was one day closer. Made be grin from ear to ear! I only wish I had thought of it a lot earlier!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
Adding this gem from @Sun Hat:
One thing that I regret not doing more of was reaching out to work contacts to let them know how much I appreciated working with them. Once retired, I didn't have access to the network where I had their contact info, so that opportunity was lost to me. The people that I did reach out to really appreciated it because while they were mentoring, collaborating or working with me they were also living their own lives and might not have realized how they had a positive impact on me. Whether it's an email, phone call, thank-you note or taking someone out to lunch, it's a graceful way to exit.

I also regret that I didn't slash one guy's tires. Either way, seize the moment.

Lastly, retirement is fun. No matter what you plan to do with your time, prepare for it with cardio and core strength.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2021, 01:01:10 PM »
While not a necessity by any means, I picked up a retirement count down clock from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPC1RFG a few months before I FIRED. I kept it on my nightstand so the first thing I saw in the morning is that I was one day closer. Made be grin from ear to ear! I only wish I had thought of it a lot earlier!

I'm pretty sure there's an app for that :)

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2021, 12:59:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing this! We hit our number this year, but I'm very nervous I am overlooking something. This will help!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2021, 12:48:45 AM »
PTF

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2021, 09:21:52 PM »
Here's a pre-FIRE item, 1 month before FIRE: I just cancelled 2 streaming services (for personal entertainment) and 1 online service (that I was expensing for my job). While I may eventually use that professional service again, I certainly can get by without it (or by using the free version) for a few months.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2022, 05:35:58 PM »
I found this list quite valuable, and wanted to contribute some additional items from my list.

Work
  • Make sure you hit any matching charitable donations your company provides.
  • Some workplaces have a Donor Advised Fund.  Be sure to use it if your access will be closed off.
  • I'd include getting a copy of working record, if your company provides this.
  • Someone added to exercise stock options.  I'd also add to be sure you aren't leaving easily reached RSUs on the table.
  • Stop your ESPP contributions.
  • Check into what to do with your HSA  Most companies start charging you to hold the account after you leave.
  • You might try to game the FSA if you're planning to leave early in the year.
  • Make a last check on the employee discounts your company provides (eg Dell, Apple if you need a computer).

Other Planning
  • How will home dynamics change?   People living with you, or who spend a lot of time with you, will know you're not working.  It's probably useful to talk with them about expectations well before the FIRE moment, especially if they are still working.  Who's going to sweep the floors?  Will they be OK with you jetting off leaving them alone?
  • I saw several "What to tell other people" threads.  To the "when/if/how" in the OP, I'd add to write down "what" you'll tell them you're doing now so you have a consistent story for them, and for you.
  • Create a schedule for how you'll plan to use your Think about how to spend your time post-FIRE.  I'd suggest proposing a schedule for yourself to do the things you've always wanted to do.  It could be as simple as spend 10-2 painting.  This could help you when people - or you - start trying to add demands to your time.  "I'd love to, but I'm already scheduled for ..." 
  • Be aware of how ending work will affect the credit card/bank bonus game.

Post-FIRE Activities
  • The list already has Explore different activities that interest you.  I'd expand this and say to write down a list of the things you want to do post-FIRE and show some progress on them.  Some of that progress might be to build social networks, as is already listed.  Or get some education in the field you're interested in.  Try as much out as you can, while you still have options.

Of these, I'd say the most important one is talking about how the home and family dynamics will change.  Second would be to create a plan on how to use your time. 

Edit: clarified how a schedule and/or planning might work *for you*.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 01:48:21 PM by mtnrider »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2022, 05:44:02 PM »

I found this list quite valuable, and wanted to contribute some additional items from my list.

Work
  • Make sure you hit any matching charitable donations your company provides.
  • Some workplaces have a Donor Advised Fund.  Be sure to use it if your access will be closed off.
  • I'd include getting a copy of working record, if your company provides this.
  • Someone added to exercise stock options.  I'd also add to be sure you aren't leaving easily reached RSUs on the table.
  • Stop your ESPP contributions.
  • Check into what to do with your HSA  Most companies start charging you to hold the account after you leave.
  • You might try to game the FSA if you're planning to leave early in the year.
  • Make a last check on the employee discounts your company provides (eg Dell, Apple if you need a computer).

Other Planning
  • How will home dynamics change?   People living with you, or who spend a lot of time with you, will know you're not working.  It's probably useful to talk with them about expectations well before the FIRE moment, especially if they are still working.  Who's going to sweep the floors?  Will they be OK with you jetting off leaving them alone?
  • I saw several "What to tell other people" threads.  To the "when/if/how" in the OP, I'd add to write down "what" you'll tell them you're doing now so you have a consistent story for them, and for you.
  • Create a schedule for how you'll plan to use your time post-FIRE.  This could help you when people start trying to add demands to your time.  "I'd love to, but I'm already scheduled for ..." 
  • Be aware of how ending work will affect the credit card/bank bonus game.

Post-FIRE Activities
  • The list already has Explore different activities that interest you.  I'd expand this and say to write down a list of the things you want to do post-FIRE and show some progress on them.  Some of that progress might be to build social networks, as is already listed.  Or get some education in the field you're interested in.  Try as much out as you can, while you still have options.

Of these, I'd say the most important one is talking about how the home and family dynamics will change.  Second would be to create a plan on how to use your time.
Some great points at the top with respect to matching donations.

But

Creating plans and schedules is overkill. And unnecessary for most. Even MMM has issues with creating schedules and obligations.

If you need to plan and structure to this level why leave work at all?

And the whole come up with a story about what you're doing just fucking tell people you retired. It's freeing for you.  it's educational for some. 

Coming up with a plan to lie or twist the truth isn't good for yourself and your own psyche.  If you're considering this maybe reconsider why you're thinking this is necessary.

BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISHED AND SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:47:33 PM by boarder42 »

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
Creating plans and schedules is overkill. And unnecessary for most. Even MMM has issues with creating schedules and obligations.

If you need to plan and structure to this level why leave work at all?

It probably depends what you intend to do post-FIRE, so a schedule and plans might not be right for everyone. Your plan is to hang out and do whatever hits your fancy next?  A fine plan.  :)

I've found that schedules and plans are what allow me to be free to be creative and to build things.  See Cal Newport's "Deep Work".  Yes, it has "work" in the title!  (You can google for "should creative people have a schedule?" if you're curious to read more.)

So for me, I might have a plan to code for 4 hours in the morning, when I'm freshest.  Then I'd schedule in time to do chores, take the bike out for a spin.  And free time for the rest of the day.  I might schedule in time to watch TV with my SO.  Someone else might want to paint for 4 hours.  Or paint all day on Mondays.  I don't find the schedule to be "work" as much as self accountability and organization.

But I'd totally get that if someone is coming from a place where schedules were imposed on them, they might want to rebel against them.  But they're just a tool, they can be used for good or evil.

And the whole come up with a story about what you're doing just fucking tell people you retired. It's freeing for you.  it's educational for some. 

Coming up with a plan to lie or twist the truth isn't good for yourself and your own psyche.  If you're considering this maybe reconsider why you're thinking this is necessary.

BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISHED AND SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD!!!!!

No need to lie.  Deciding to proudly exclaim that you're retired to anyone who asks is indeed a valid choice!  But I personally don't want to have a 10 minute conversation about FIRE when someone asks me "what I do".  This I've read multiple threads about on this forum, so I'm not the only one. 

To put this into my perspective, I could tell people "I'm retired".  Or I could tell them "I'm developing an app".  Or even, "I'm taking some time to cycle the US."  All could be true.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2022, 05:31:10 AM »
The above couple of posts make think of Gretchen Rubin's "Four Tendencies." You can take the quiz at the link below to find out which one you are. Basically, it's a question of whether you respond to inner or outer expectations, or both or neither. I'm an Upholder, so I LOVE schedules, lists, and rules. If it's on the calendar, it's going to happen. But a Rebel actually resents a to-do list or a calendar full of stuff, so they're better off leaving things up in the air and making decisions based on "What kind of person am I / do I want to be?" rather than "What's on the to-do list?"

This stuff has set off so many light bulbs for me about why some things work for me and some don't, why other people have a completely different idea of how something should be done, etc. There are good and bad things about each Tendency, and it can make work and personal relationships so much easier if you know someone else's tendency (which is pretty easy to figure out if you know someone even a little bit).

https://quiz.gretchenrubin.com/

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2022, 06:54:59 AM »
I'm a questioner. Took that a few years ago.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2022, 08:02:41 AM »
It's an interesting framework.  See also this thread about the four tendencies  I'll resurrect it.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2022, 07:38:20 AM »
I may have missed this, but didn't see it in the sticky and is one of the most important things in my opinion.

Health insurance.  What will your new insurance be?  What will it cost?  What doctors and/or pharmacies won't accept your new insurance?

I'm in the glide path to retire early next year and have been working from home for 2 years, with light work.  So I have had the privilege of "pretending" to be retired.  What I will do is figured out.  The costs of insurance is still a bit up in the air.  I have one son who just turned 26, so is now on his own work insurance.  DW quit her job so there won't be a family plan for insurance.  Younger son and DW will be on ACA and I would go on medicare.  Still, because this year's income is going to be very high, both ACA and medicare will be expensive for the first year.  So for those of you much younger than me, figure this out as it can literally cost you more than everything else combined.  As a family, we will be going from $400 a month insurance cost to more like $2000 a month plus whatever my older son pays.  Having worked for various companies over my career, we've also had various companies not have some of our doctors "in plan".  Currently, Cigna is our network and of course, they have consistently been rated the WORST network every year.  We've had to deal with that and pay out of network costs. 

On the list, but worth mentioning is the sick pay and vacation pay.  In my present job, if not used by the end of each year, my company zeros these.  If you leave, you get a check for zero for these.  I just want you to understand that this is not all that unusual, so if you've saved up 10 weeks of vacation and "assume" the company is going to give you a fat check, you'd better be sure.  If your company is like mine, then putting in for vacation to use up the days, then making your resignation after all your vacation time is used is the way to go.

Something also missed is house repairs.  We are currently in a string of house maintenance and I'm glad we're doing it while I'm still working and bringing in big RSU, ESPP and bonus money.  First, we replaced dilapidated garage doors for about $4800.  Then we had a retaining wall that lines a stairway into our basement as stones were literally falling and that cost $4200.  Currently our house and garage are being painted with a separate carpenter in replacing any rotted wood (and there's a lot) which is $10k for paint and $3580 for carpentry work.  We had the roof replaced 2 years ago for $15000.  We do have plans for some reconfiguration of floor to ceiling windows that are leaking and are 35 years old, so that will be done in the spring.  Plus a couple bathrooms and an office to redo and as the carpenter found, one wall has water damage so he'll get to it in the spring.  All of this, once done will likely exceed $100k and if you have similar work that needs to be done, that could really be a hit on your budget.  Maybe you're renting or your house doesn't need repairs, in which case, ignore this.

I disagree with car replacement.  If your car is running, I don't care if it's old or has high miles.  Sure, if you'd take out a loan, it would be harder to get with no income.  But these days, with skyrocketing car prices, it makes sense to repair nearly any car.  We repaired our 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, maybe a year ago.  I had received a car max quote of $2800 for the car.  But I looked and had thought that I'd do what I had done in the past, getting a car that was maybe 75k miles and 2 years newer for maybe $7k or $8k.  Nope.  A 150k same car, 2 years newer at a used car dealer is now $17k.  So our car got repaired.  It has the infamous Subaru CVT problem transmission that Subaru replaced under warranty at 53k miles.  So at 150k miles, the common solenoid control module ($800) needed replacement.  We had that done, a ball joint, a wheel bearing (the other 3 had been replaced already), and both front CV axles.  This was about $2500.  Nearly what car max would have given us for the car.  In addition, the tires were spent and needed replacement, so that plus an alignment was another $700.  All this was done at 150k miles.  Well, since then, my younger son has been driving the car and goes to welding school 4 days a week which is an hour and a half drive each way.  So we just did the oil at 175k miles and the car drives fine, so I feel we made the right choice repairing it.  Over this past weekend, he told me that the windshield wipers stopped working.  We did a little diagnosing and internet looking and figured out that the motor was toast.  Off the the pull-a-part junkyard with a small tool bag and we pulled the assembly out of an Impreza and he installed it in the car.  So a fun hour in the junkyard and $17 and it's fixed.  Heck, while I was there, I also got the little plastic pieces that cover the wiper bolts as one had been lost.  Win!

I also highly recommend you make a "retirement spending" list.  This is everything from health insurance through car insurance and homeowner insurance to grocery store, restaurant, travel, gas, heating oil, electric, cable TV, internet, car repair, tax and inspection.  Everything.  I started making my list about 5 years ago and every year, I fine tune and add things.  My list started as under $50k a year and is currently about $67k a year and far more accurate.  You want to know your costs before bailing from your paying job.  You can use this for your 25X, where the list is your X.  That's only a rule of thumb.  Long ago, I made a life spread sheet with assets, income, spending charted by each year.  I put in 5% as growth of each year's assets and as the year ends, replace predictions with real numbers.  What I like about doing this is that we could put in expected college costs for the kids, new roof, new cars, all the little one-time cost things.  It's also good at predicting each year what we'll spend and have.  From each year, you can hone in and even change future costs.  For us, college went up more than expected annually but the kids' grandparents made contributions towards college, which was completely unexpected and really appreciated.

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2022, 10:59:36 PM »
I left workforce 4.5 years ago and rejoined more than a year ago. One lessons learned: if you are unsure if you'd want to return back to workforce, it's helpful to do some consulting once a while to fill resume gaps. Depending on your states, you may only need ONE consulting job that issues 1099 so you can claim you are doing some consulting and/or explore business opportunities. In CA, you don't have to show how much you have earned from 1099.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:46:51 AM by moneytaichi »

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2023, 02:02:07 PM »
Barrons require me a subscription to read that article. Is there a summary?

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2024, 11:09:13 PM »
If you have transit benefits through work, figure out what happens to them when you leave and plan for them. Mine let me pay pre-tax money onto a single-purpose debit card, and I have 90 days to use the balance of that card after I leave. I don't have huge amounts there, but it'll be on my list to stop adding and spend down that card, if only to move it to the fare card.

Someone in another thread discovered belatedly that their transit benefits had gone on auto-loading during the working-from-home part of the pandemic and used the surplus to buy transit cards to donate to folks in a local job reentry program. That could be another option if you have accumulated transit money that you won't be needing post-commute.

Also, I see departure timing elsewhere in this thread as relates to vacation accrual. I don't see it as it relates to bonuses, vesting schedules, ESPP purchase periods, employer matches for retirement accounts, etc. If you've had it and reached FI (or FU*), good for you, but if you have any of these and an additional little while would get you to the next milestone, at least understand the trade-off.

*https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/