Author Topic: Post-FIRE social outlets?  (Read 4383 times)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
Post-FIRE social outlets?
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
I enjoy my job, and one of the best things about it is the people. It feels like a close community. But that's just circumstantial. I know that after I retire, I'll rarely see the folks I now spend most of my waking hours with, because they'll still be working. The thought of leaving that community makes contemplating FIRE harder -- but I don't want to work forever, and I do want to reconstruct a new life of freedom that has the same feeling of friendship and belonging.

So for those of you post-FIRE, did you plan for how to rebuild your job-free community beforehand? How do you get whatever level of social contact you need?

I also deal with fatigue-related health issues, which makes getting out and meeting people challenging. Anyone else find a good solution to that?

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Post-FIRE social outlets?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
Build a social network around something that you feel passionate about. It could be a hobby, political, social or religious.  In my case, it is golf. I have a couple regularly scheduled games a week and I use them to keep in touch with friends, some of whom are still working, and others who are retired like me.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »
Well, once you're not working anymore you'll have more time/energy to spend getting out and meeting people. That can be your job.

I think finding a group that relies on you (at least to some extent) is a great way to get out and meet people. A lot of my best friends are people I met volunteering or singing in choruses - things where you kind of have to show up every week (or at least most weeks) or you're letting people down. Church, a sports team, political organizing - these can also be good ways to force yourself to see the same people on a regular basis.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:50 AM »
Thanks, folks.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
I find that Meetup.com is a good way to find common interest groups that I enjoy.  I live in a moderately small town and there are a myriad of interesting groups.  More than I can handle so I can pick and choose.

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »
I actually need very little social contact, so FIRE was a good fit for me...but I admit there was a big drop in the amount of social interaction I receive.

It will be hard to replace that social outlet once you retire.  Most people will be working, and won't have the time or energy to play.

If you're the kind of person that needs social interaction, I suggest trying out a "retired vacation" for a few weeks to see if you like it. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:11:09 PM by Mr.Tako »

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
this has been the toughest part for me.  I love outdoors activities, but my friends who enjoy them as well still work. I might try a social website or two.  Anybody in Northern Alabama want to go fishing?

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »
I was concerned about being isolated once I didn't have career, but it hasn't worked out that way.

I work half a day a week in the local library, which has allowed me to a meet people of all ages who enjoy books and movies. I teach English as a Second Language online with Japanese clients, editing and giving feedback on their writing. Again, the people I am working with are of all ages and walks of life and write about many different interests. It feels like Japan comes to visit several mornings a week.

I belong to a book club as well, and go out on various excursions and workshops with other organizations, which combine some socializing with some learning. There are plenty of ways to have people contact, though I also enjoy lots of time by myself.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
Oh, I'll play!

- Began with my HOA. Attended meetings, then ran for the Board. Did that for a decade until I sold the townhouse.
- I started as a Friends of the Library volunteer. Eventually was asked to join Friends Board.
- Next was asked to join bigger Library Foundation Board.
- City started Community Service Day Project. One day, fifty projects, 1500 volunteers. I joined the initial Steering Committee. This is our sixth year and now I'm Co-Chair.
- Was Treasurer for a friend's City Council Re-election Campaign.
- Became a volunteer usher at our large regional theater, also a season ticket holder and patron.
- Joined an Arts League, as something I could do with my MIL, who has Alzheimer's. Now I'm on that board.

My goal was to wonder how I ever found time to work. I'm there now, but I also love to maintain completely unscheduled days or better still, chunks of days. I have made scores of friends.

Just as the snowball technique works for conquering debt, it will also work for building a social network. Start somewhere. I love to read, hate paying retail for books, hate paying library fines. By volunteering at the library book sales, I never pay more than $1/book, never pay fines, always have fresh material at hand. Win-win that literally changed my life.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
My plan is: volunteer at the library, toastmasters, salsa class, and a part time fun job that I so purely for fun and hey money is cool too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!