Author Topic: Post FIRE Slow Travel - Looking into homex.net  (Read 1708 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Post FIRE Slow Travel - Looking into homex.net
« on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:59 PM »
Our post FIRE plans include international slow travel.  We have been looking into voluntourism, homestays and other low cost/slow travel opportunities.

Tonight we discovered the site homex.net.  It is site where people/small businesses post offerings of free accommodations and meals in exchange for part time work.  It appears to be one of the older sites of of this type, it was started in 2001.  I got the impression it started as a WWOOF site that has grown well beyond that.

We browsed through some of the opportunities and it looked pretty interesting to us.  There are LOTS of offerings all over the world, way too much to even skim through at one time.  We took a closer look at China because it is of special interest.  There were 142 listings, mostly for casual English instruction or small farm or hotel/hostel help.  While many of the listings were for big cities, there were also quite a few in smaller towns or in the country.  This caught my attention because I am very much a country boy at heart.

We also looked at Germany.  There were 469 postings.  We only browsed the first couple of pages but they seemed to mostly be for farmstead help in rural areas or small towns.  Again very interesting to us.

The site has free and paid memberships.  Paid membership provides improved communications and more details/reviews of the hosts.  A membership is 20 Euro for 2 years of access.

Does anyone here use this site and can provide feedback?  Are there any other similar sites that you use and recommend?  If there is enough interest in this type of travel we could put together a list.

Note:  We have NO affiliation with homex and know little to nothing about it other than and hour or so of browsing the site.

life_travel

• Stubble
Re: Post FIRE Slow Travel - Looking into homex.net
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:18:13 AM »
We used another site , workaway , as hosts . It was free to us , we met some nice people and they did some work for us . We are planning to use it as workers when we leave full time jobs.

gravitysmiles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Post FIRE Slow Travel - Looking into homex.net
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »
This is what we want to do also!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!