Author Topic: Post-FIRE paid work most likely to bring satisfaction/happiness  (Read 7088 times)

Asanokaori

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dear Post-FIRED folks, please share your wisdom.

Suppose you have reached FIRE but you are still interested to have a full-time or part-time job that pays (that means excluding volunteering and certain jobs where the payment is on a nominal basis i.e you are paid a very very small sum for the amount of effort/time you put in).

What kind of paid jobs do you recommend that you have found most satisfying and brought happiness?

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Post-FIRE paid work most likely to bring satisfaction/happiness
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »
I enjoyed my work but it wasn't on my terms. So post FIRE I was much more direct about what I wanted. I found a part time consulting role doing only the parts of my job that I enjoy which suited me perfectly. I have to say I was surprised how flexible people can be once you clearly state what you want and are in a position to walk away if you don't get it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »
Not FIREd yet. But I heard a radio podcast about a person who was jobless and was too old to ever get a new job in her profession as a bartender (don't ask me why bartenders can't be over 50, because I don't know). She was receiving government unemployment money.

When she wanted to contribute to society again, she became a volunteer at an animal rescue as an ambulance driver. A Dutch charity organization having an animal ambulance and let volunteers be on call for 24 hours a day and make them drive out to animals that need help.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
I teach a online college course.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
I teach a online college course.

Sounds ideal. How'd you get into that?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »
Actually it just fell into my lap after I retired. I was very lucky and love teaching it. 

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
This is something I'm trying to figure out or even figure out how to make a separate post on.

I want a job that's flexible and/or part time. I go to interviews in my field with companies that seem ok, but this far there are snags like "and then we rotate having to work weekends" which is a deal breaker.

Part of me thinks that I should start to seriously look for the $20-$25/hour contracts and work 2-3 months a year and that will satisfy my social and spending money needs, and part of me thinks that I could take a lower paying job that is far more satisfying.

I love driving, so I've looked at all sorts of driving jobs, personal chauffeur - no thanks, 24 hour on-call and lots of bullshit associated.  Medical emergency deliveries - usually "use your own car" and other weird criteria attached.  Delivery? Well, that just sucks and is low pay, and I don't seem to find the ones where I'd be more of a courier and drive from San Antonio to Dallas to drop off this urgent box of paperwork.  That sounds like a fun job because I could listen to audio books and music and not be stuck in an office answering phones.

Or maybe something in a medical office that would be more dynamic and exciting, even if it deals with the public. The side benefit would be "hey doc, I have this cough" and he could look at it. :D

I guess what I'm looking for is out-of-the-box ideas for jobs, even those considered menial by most, but that are fulfilling and come with a minimum of BS attached.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
This is something I'm trying to figure out or even figure out how to make a separate post on.

I want a job that's flexible and/or part time. I go to interviews in my field with companies that seem ok, but this far there are snags like "and then we rotate having to work weekends" which is a deal breaker.

Part of me thinks that I should start to seriously look for the $20-$25/hour contracts and work 2-3 months a year and that will satisfy my social and spending money needs, and part of me thinks that I could take a lower paying job that is far more satisfying.

I love driving, so I've looked at all sorts of driving jobs, personal chauffeur - no thanks, 24 hour on-call and lots of bullshit associated.  Medical emergency deliveries - usually "use your own car" and other weird criteria attached.  Delivery? Well, that just sucks and is low pay, and I don't seem to find the ones where I'd be more of a courier and drive from San Antonio to Dallas to drop off this urgent box of paperwork.  That sounds like a fun job because I could listen to audio books and music and not be stuck in an office answering phones.

Or maybe something in a medical office that would be more dynamic and exciting, even if it deals with the public. The side benefit would be "hey doc, I have this cough" and he could look at it. :D

I guess what I'm looking for is out-of-the-box ideas for jobs, even those considered menial by most, but that are fulfilling and come with a minimum of BS attached.

I've passed up a couple of "dream jobs" due to weird work hours or low quality leadership/management.

Reverend,
I love to drive too, but refuse to drive to work and back, if a job involves driving, no issue. I was considering being an underground utility marker, lots of windscreen time, work alone, outdoors etc... Only hang up, overtime in the summer hours, when I want to work the least. Also, insurance adjuster, lots of windscreen time and movement, but you might have to start in an office environment, earn some certs and work up to the mobile position...

Medical office... my wife runs a small medical office, 4 family practice docs, LOTS of detractors that, sadly, the ability to chat  medical stuff with the docs doesn't really overcome (rude patients, people don't want to pay what they owe, high turnover in lower paying positions, the list goes on).

I found a work at home position that I just could not overlook, the income was well beyond what we need so we are continuing to build on the stash and have loosened up some of our discretionary spending because we are putting so much away in retirement accounts, cash savings, donations, we are enjoying a little more freedom that usual, that's probably the biggest benefit of the extra income.

My advice, go to the websites of the largish companies and look for remote positions, you might be surprised at the opportunities. If you get on with something, ensure they understand what you are willing to contribute and make bank!

I hope you find what works for you.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
I was just listening to an episode of the Moth yesterday and a woman was telling a story that involved doing something that I thought seemed perfect as a side/PT hustle for FIREd folks, but have never heard anyone in any of the blogs, groups, forums, etc. mention it.  So, partly a suggestion and partly inviting someone to shoot me down that this really exists....but she drives rental vehicles one-way to deliver them where the company needs them and ends up having fun road trips/vacations in the meantime.  I have no idea if she does this for a standard rental company, or how one would get into it, but she said she's driven from the Mexican border to the Arctic Circle, having driven cars from Alaska to the contiguous US a number of times, and she just loves it.  How does one get into this?

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
but she drives rental vehicles one-way to deliver them where the company needs them and ends up having fun road trips/vacations in the meantime.

I actually looked into that, particularly because I like driving (and I bought a car in Vegas last year for a guy in Germany, then picked up a car in Los Angeles a few weeks ago for a guy in Florida etc.) but the big drawback was, at least when I checked, that the money barely covered getting back home by flight or however.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »
but she drives rental vehicles one-way to deliver them where the company needs them and ends up having fun road trips/vacations in the meantime.

I actually looked into that, particularly because I like driving (and I bought a car in Vegas last year for a guy in Germany, then picked up a car in Los Angeles a few weeks ago for a guy in Florida etc.) but the big drawback was, at least when I checked, that the money barely covered getting back home by flight or however.

That's a shame.  I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be a big money-making scheme, but to at least pay for the most basic expenses (like a per diem), and maybe leave a little in your pocket.  But it would have to be a pretty leisurely pace along a fun route for me to be willing to lose money on it (aka it would be a discounted vacation).

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »
I do massage part time. I don't know if I qualify as FIREd or not, I have a halftime desk job running the database for a nonprofit also (which I also like a lot)... I don't really need the money any more but I'm going to keep doing both as long as a) I keep getting massage clients and b) my nonprofit wants to keep me.

Massage full time is a quick burn-out kind of job for most people. But a massage or two a day is doable forever. And it's basically like meditation for me, an hour or two to focus my attention, step outside myself, and put my conceptual mind out to pasture. Totally restorative.

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »
Quote from: koshtra
Massage full time is a quick burn-out kind of job for most people. But a massage or two a day is doable forever. And it's basically like meditation for me, an hour or two to focus my attention, step outside myself, and put my conceptual mind out to pasture. Totally restorative.

That actually sounds like something I could really take to.  The problem is that I think I'd be grossed out by someone's hairy back with warts and skin tags and 400 lbs of sweaty fat swirling around my fingers.  Same as teaching. I love the concept of every summer off (my partner is a teacher), but I can't put up with kids.

That's a shame.  I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be a big money-making scheme, but to at least pay for the most basic expenses (like a per diem), and maybe leave a little in your pocket.  But it would have to be a pretty leisurely pace along a fun route for me to be willing to lose money on it (aka it would be a discounted vacation).

Right, so the way it works in the instances I've seen is that some company or private person needs a car, truck or RV moved from  Phoenix to Denver.   You'll get a date when it needs to be picked up, and a date when it needs to be at its destination.   You generally get a full tank of gas, but pay for the rest.  You also get the route you'll take though with a bit of an allowance for side trips to points of interest.

Where it works out is if you need to move an RV and can stop at some cool spots for a night or two along the route, and basically take your time delivering it.

At the end of the trip, Uber back to the airport and fly home with the ticket you bought before you left.

Between juggling tickets and gas and transportation and stuff, it's less vacation and more... cheap travel.

I did find that the local UHaul depot needed someone to work part time to drive trucks to to and from the depot for repair and stuff, which sounds almost like fun, but someone told me that it was around $10/hour.  That gets really close to "not worth my time" - or not fun enough for the money.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 10:15:55 PM »
That actually sounds like something I could really take to.  The problem is that I think I'd be grossed out by someone's hairy back with warts and skin tags and 400 lbs of sweaty fat swirling around my fingers.  Same as teaching. I love the concept of every summer off (my partner is a teacher), but I can't put up with kids.

Yeah, you have to just like bodies, in all their variety.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
I do massage part time. I don't know if I qualify as FIREd or not, I have a halftime desk job running the database for a nonprofit also (which I also like a lot)... I don't really need the money any more but I'm going to keep doing both as long as a) I keep getting massage clients and b) my nonprofit wants to keep me.

I'd like to learn more!

I'm a certified personal trainer and I've thought about becoming a masseuse for several reasons including the fact that I'd like to learn more about the human body, I think they are VERY helpful in living a healthy life, and I love getting them!

I probably shouldn't share this but wife and I have learned that a 1.5 hour massage followed by a few drinks = damn near nirvana... I know, probably not healthy but hell, life is short.

So, there are two places very near me where I could get "certified" but I don't know how to evaluate them, any advice?

Next, how to move into the "massage at home" space? I live in the "foothills" of a wealthy neighborhood and I suspect that with many services, massage at home would do well, lots of high income homes with folks still at home during the day, should be a target rich area.

Any feedback appreciated.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Hey, @infromsea.

Massage licensure and certification in the U.S. varies state by state, and in some places (California, for instance) county by county or town by town. A five-hundred hour training program followed by an exam is fairly average (that was what I did; part-time for about a year and a half), but you'd just have to find out the local regulations. In some places your PT cert might even qualify you.

If your state does a qualifying exam, the first thing to find out about the schools is "what's the passing rate of your grads on the qualifying exam?" These exams are generally a pretty low bar, and if the school can't even get their grads over that, they're either a) not doing a very good job teaching or b) admitting students they shouldn't admit. Probably both.

As far as building a clientele, I have two pieces of advice: one is get a good professional photographer to do a photoshoot of you doing massage. Pay the money and do it right -- photos of you really doing massage the way you will when you show up. They're worth every penny. Have a website (again, pay for it if you don't know how to do it) and put your photos up and put a lot of information about yourself there. If people are going to invite you into their homes and climb onto your table they're going to have to feel like they have a reason to know you and trust you. -- This goes double, or rather quadruple, if you're male.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »
I enjoyed my work but it wasn't on my terms. So post FIRE I was much more direct about what I wanted. I found a part time consulting role doing only the parts of my job that I enjoy which suited me perfectly. I have to say I was surprised how flexible people can be once you clearly state what you want and are in a position to walk away if you don't get it.

I remember you telling about your 3 days/week remote gig in software (that post was deleted), that sounded pretty interesting. In retrospect, do you wish you quit your company earlier?

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
Hey, @infromsea.

Massage licensure and certification in the U.S. varies state by state, and in some places (California, for instance) county by county or town by town. A five-hundred hour training program followed by an exam is fairly average (that was what I did; part-time for about a year and a half), but you'd just have to find out the local regulations. In some places your PT cert might even qualify you.

If your state does a qualifying exam, the first thing to find out about the schools is "what's the passing rate of your grads on the qualifying exam?" These exams are generally a pretty low bar, and if the school can't even get their grads over that, they're either a) not doing a very good job teaching or b) admitting students they shouldn't admit. Probably both.

As far as building a clientele, I have two pieces of advice: one is get a good professional photographer to do a photoshoot of you doing massage. Pay the money and do it right -- photos of you really doing massage the way you will when you show up. They're worth every penny. Have a website (again, pay for it if you don't know how to do it) and put your photos up and put a lot of information about yourself there. If people are going to invite you into their homes and climb onto your table they're going to have to feel like they have a reason to know you and trust you. -- This goes double, or rather quadruple, if you're male.

Good stuff!

Thanks for taking the time to share that.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 05:07:03 PM »
Freelance fiction writing. The money sucks, but since I'd be writing out of love anyway, the money's really just a bonus.

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »
Working part time with my partner to invent new stuff.  We had a great run before and made morbidly obese FIRE cash, now it gives me something to do and keep the brain working in between traveling the world...plus keeps me from making the first margarita at noon.

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
I worked at an auto dealership for awhile when I first retired.  In the mornings I drove their little parts truck and the courtesy van.  My career involved being locked away in windowless offices for security reasons.  So I wanted to be out and about where the sun is shinning.  It was an enjoyable job with no stress and no being stuck in an office. 

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 10:28:22 PM »
In the mornings I drove their little parts truck and the courtesy van.

That doesn't sound too shabby.  A little interaction with people. Not stuck in an office. Able to pick up a bite to eat on the way, and discount on parts at the dealership (I presume). I should look into that.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
I truly enjoy getting paid to give my opinion/advice and helping make miserable situations less miserable.

I happily do it for free, but miserable people listen much better when they are being charged obscene amounts of money for what I have to tell them.

Is this your current profession?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:02 AM »
I bought farms during my working career as an investment and to also provide me with plenty to do in retirement, I like to stay busy.   Don't get paid a wage, but the farms make some income.   There is always something to do; mowing, drainage repairs, cutting trees, spraying weeds, etc.   It's fun work to me, playing around with tractors and equipment and I work on my own terms and whatever hours I choose, usually about 20 hours per week give or take.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
I like this website for nonprofit/mission driven jobs. You can search by location, full or part-time and remote opportunities.

https://www.idealist.org/en/?type=JOB

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 10:37:21 AM »
My recent post Fire dreams (10 years away, but I daydream a lot) are to train service animals for the blind, ptsd, medical alerts , etc.

It’s somewhat low pay, in the 30k-40k per year range) , but I believe that after you get certified (and after an apprenticeship) you can open your own business and make your own hours and focus on whatever training you want to do.

Other random ideas- doing cpr training. Corporate cpr training can bring in big bucks but you are generally an independent contractor, and some markets are very saturated.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 01:05:26 AM »
Not really FIRE yet, but Due to quitting my job to move overseas for my husband's job, I may actually have worked my last "real" job, though I had no idea at the time.

I've loved teaching conversational English, so I may try to find a way to do that once we are back in the States, with those looking to strengthen ESL skills.  Somewhat similarly, I may sign up with VIP kid (online tutoring for kids in China).  I may also start a small pet sitting or dog walking business.  I wouldn't spend hours pounding the pavement to drum up business, but as a side gig, it seems great.  People who work all day and just want someone to stop by at noon and let Fido out and take him for a spin around the block--I'd likely do that for free!  And I could be choosy about what pets (and people!) I work with since it would just be side money.

And I plan to substitute teach.  Requirements vary by state, but generally it is just a college degree and maybe passing a fairly basic test.  The pay is okay, and the flexibility is almost unparalleled. 

Lastly, writing.  That's more of a passion thing, and I don't know if I will ever get to a point where I even try to make money at it, much less actually bring in meaningful amounts, but I know I'll be writing and my ego loves the idea of someone actually paying to read my work.  (Actually, my ego loves the idea of them paying to read my work and liking it enough to pay to read more of it.)

Between subbing, tutoring, dog walking, and writing, I feel like I will have more than enough to keep busy, but also allow the flexibility to take of weeks at a time if my heart desires to do so.  The money will just be cake.  Cake which will probably never be eaten, but is sure nice to have around just in case hunger strikes.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
I truly enjoy getting paid to give my opinion/advice and helping make miserable situations less miserable.

I happily do it for free, but miserable people listen much better when they are being charged obscene amounts of money for what I have to tell them.

Is this your current profession?

I have 4 jobs and they all consist of people paying me for advice about miserable things.

Well, that clears it up!  I'll assume you're being ambiguous on account of protecting your identity.

musicman1975

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »
Hi All,
I have been retired for the past year and 3 months. I have gotten incredible satisfaction giving piano lessons to a few of my daughter's classmates (7 and 9 years old). I also teach science in my daughter's class on a volunteer basis. There are so many students in schools these days that competent helpers are always welcome.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »

The best post-FIRE paid work I can think of for me as far as satisfaction/happiness combined with financial benefit would be to work a very reduced schedule at my current job, but instead of 40+ hours, maybe as few as 8 scheduled hours per week, maybe 16 or 24 to max.  I'm 10-11 months from my FIRE target but may ask about that option in 9 to 10 months.  I posted more detail in the 2019 cohort thread.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »

@reverend   
If you _like_ driving, try for a auto dealership driver (car swapping among dealers).   My dad (age 77) does this and it gets him out of the house.  He has ratcheted down the tasks he'll do now (no DC area, nothing over 4 hours or so).

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:27:50 PM by markbike528CBX »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »

I love driving, so I've looked at all sorts of driving jobs, ...

It's possible to find jobs that pay you to drive someone else's car across country.  Typically used when a family is moving and want to travel together, but have two cars.

You'll have to find said companies that provide this service yourself.

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2018, 04:27:55 PM »
Quote from: SwordGuy
It's possible to find jobs that pay you to drive someone else's car across country.  Typically used when a family is moving and want to travel together, but have two cars.
You'll have to find said companies that provide this service yourself.

Quote from: markbike528CBX
If you _like_ driving, try for a auto dealership driver (car swapping among dealers).   My dad (age 77) does this and it gets him out of the house.  He has ratcheted down the tasks he'll do now (no DC area, nothing over 4 hours or so).

Thanks guys, I have looked at some of the companies and even inquired poked around at a local dealership for positions - and just as I was about to get somewhere, a very large company a mere 7 minutes from my house offered me a contract job lasting 18 months. It's far more lucrative than any driving job so I decided to take it.

I hate that I'm about the money, because I think the job satisfaction might not be as good - BUT, the charm is that any job is awesome for six months because you're learning the people, the job and how things work and that learning part is the fun one.  I basically figure that if I am not excited about it in six months, I'll quit and that will be a most excellent christmas gift to myself.  A good salary for six months of work (that'll pay for about two years of living expenses) and THEN I can take a dealership job etc.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
I could fire now with plenty of money to love off of but I have slimmed down my schedule to two 10 how days, Thursdays and Fridays. I still get healthcare with that schedule. I get five days to play and those couple days at work fly by. My coworkers are all jealous.