Author Topic: Pickleball  (Read 4751 times)

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pickleball
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
So I left my job in June (46 y.o.), and this fall I started playing pickleball 2x/week with some of retired folks at the local rec center.  The second time I played I pulled some kind of muscle and had to hobble off the court which was pretty embarrassing.   However, since then I have had so much fun playing!  It's a great workout, and I have met some really nice people.  I can't believe I get to do this instead of going to work.  Life is good.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pickleball
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
Some people claim it is the fastest growing sport in the US, so I guess we can all look forward to spending our golden years on the court.  I played a while back with a 90 year old lady who was fierce.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
I've played it in a 55+ community in Florida. Great time. My brother and I paired up on a team for a tournament, we're both early 30's and my brother is a hell of an athlete and tennis player. 

We did pretty well, mainly because we were much younger.  Then we got up to some 70+ YO guys that played a lot. And were former pro athletes in their youth.  They frustrated the hell out of us. Grandpas beating us in sports?? Wtf!  Frustrated us beyond belief.

Super fun game though.  I'm starting to see it in a lot more places up north. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
Great retirement game.  I hope it is moving north because that's where I am.  Need more courts. ; )

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
I play tennis and dislike pickleball due to sound of that hard plastic ball on those wooden paddles!  Pickleball is becoming pretty popular around this area though and quite a few of the seniors that I play tennis with also play pickleball from time to time.

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:10 PM »
I play tennis and dislike pickleball due to sound of that hard plastic ball on those wooden paddles!  Pickleball is becoming pretty popular around this area though and quite a few of the seniors that I play tennis with also play pickleball from time to time.

I love that sound!  ; )

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:31:12 PM »

kiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SQL Practice Problems
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
Yes! Pickleball is SO MUCH FUN! I just picked it up this January, and play pretty regularly now at a local community center. And I've never done any sport before, aside from some ping pong as a kid, if that counts. A lot of people say it's like playing ping pong while standing on the ping pong table.

We have a lot of underutilized tennis courts in this area - I'd like to see some pickleball lines painted on them. Also, pickleball can be played when it's wet out (depending on how slippery the surface is) , because the ball doesn't get soaked, unlike tennis.

Punxsyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »
Have played tennis fro 40 years ..... started playing pickleball 2 years ago & love it!  I play 3x/week & tennis 1x/week.  It's become a big part of my early retirement!  It's pretty popular here in Vegas & on the West coast in general.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
It is an amazing sport for young and old.  My parents started playing when they retired 20 years ago and now play 3-4 times a week.  Their group has grown from 10 to 200 and they keep adding more facilities.  I love the sport because you can play well without being in the best shape as it is a wonderful mixture of dexterity, reflex speed, and strategy.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »
So I left my job in June (46 y.o.), and this fall I started playing pickleball 2x/week with some of retired folks at the local rec center.  The second time I played I pulled some kind of muscle and had to hobble off the court which was pretty embarrassing.   However, since then I have had so much fun playing!  It's a great workout, and I have met some really nice people.  I can't believe I get to do this instead of going to work.  Life is good.

I'm going to learn PB in 2018. Life is good.

Woodshark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
Warning. I know of several people who started playing pickleball, thinking it was a low stress sport, and injured themselves. I was only 56 and thought it was a nice easy way to get a little exercise. That was until I hyper-extended my elbow on a return. It's been over a year and the elbow is still not back to normal.  I now sit on the sidelines with four others with similar injuries.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
Warning. I know of several people who started playing pickleball, thinking it was a low stress sport, and injured themselves. I was only 56 and thought it was a nice easy way to get a little exercise. That was until I hyper-extended my elbow on a return. It's been over a year and the elbow is still not back to normal.  I now sit on the sidelines with four others with similar injuries.
It's as intense and dangerous as you want to make it.  My parents play with 80+ year olds regularly in leisurely games.  They also play with younger ones in 50-60s who get intense and hyper competitive.  I play with an older gentleman (60) who will dive and roll to catch returns and is very likely to injure himself.  It's all in how you approach the game.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
Are there a lot of knee injuries in pickleball?  I tried learning tennis years ago but had to quit because all the quick stops and pivots were tough on the knees.  Is the pickleball court smaller than a tennis court?  Does the ball travel slower than a tennis ball? 

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
It's as intense and dangerous as you want to make it.  My parents play with 80+ year olds regularly in leisurely games.  They also play with younger ones in 50-60s who get intense and hyper competitive.  I play with an older gentleman (60) who will dive and roll to catch returns and is very likely to injure himself.  It's all in how you approach the game.

It's true that the games can ramp up pretty quickly.  I was playing a lot because it is so enjoyable and addictive.  Now I am nursing a calf strain which has me sidelined.  I'm halfway through a 6-7 week recovery.  For me personally, I need to take my warm up routine more seriously.  I am counting the days to get back though!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
Some people claim it is the fastest growing sport in the US, so I guess we can all look forward to spending our golden years on the court.  I played a while back with a 90 year old lady who was fierce.

My 10 year old has requested a pickleball set for Christmas (there is a court near us), so apparently the trend is spreading to the youngsters! :-)

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
When I was at the doctor for my injury, he had no idea what PB was.  So I jokingly said it is a game for retired people.  He looked at me incredulously and asked, "Are you retired???"   Yup.  He double checked my chart for my age.  46 I told him.  I laughed and told him that when he retires he will love PB.  His face fell and he said he won't be retiring for a very, very long time. 

peabody58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE 04/2015 @ 57
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
Don't back up!!  Love playing, but getting back surgery for long term L4/L5 bulging disc next month.  Look forward to getting back on the courts.  Our county just built an 18 court state of the art PB facility and we are bringing in the tournaments.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:54:37 AM »
Its like that game appeared out of nowhere and looks fun. Our YMCS they make 6 courts on the basketball court and its packed. They even have these special about 18" high carboard things that slide apart to make sidelines. Havent given it a try yet my knees are bad but its popular up here in the arctic midwest.   Someone said it is the fastest growing sport. I have heard that in the last couple of months about Soccer, Lacrosse , field hockey and now pickle ball. Wonder which really is.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!