Author Topic: pick up a penny?  (Read 9364 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: pick up a penny?
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 05:44:40 AM »
Are you declaring it as income on your yearly income taxes??? Well, if you aren't you should be!

If you find less than 50 per year, then TurboTax and TaxCut would just round it down to zero, anyway.

Everything in moderation.

Wait what?

So if I lose a penny I can claim it as a deduction right?

Or Uncle Sam only cares about you finding money, not losing it...?

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
Nope...in fact I will go out of my way to figure out a way to get rid of any loose change that I have after a cash purchase.  If there's a tip jar, it's always going in there.  If not, I am annoyed the rest of the day with in jingling in my pocket.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »
Wow, any loose change is going into MY tip jar at home! Saved all loose change, many different denominations for probably about 8-10 years and when we counted it we had $5,000! All my soda/beer bottle returns, loose change, lottery winnings and other bills.

No problem with loose change jingling in my pocket, goes right to my little piggy!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
I went on a sales car yesterday (I'm tech support) and while walking along the sidewalk in south boston, the sales guy with me bent over and picked up a nickle and handed it to me.  Now that's a win. 

The best I've done was when my wife (fiance at the time) moved to a house in Arlington, Ma.  We were waiting at the bus stop and I looked down and there was money all over.  I ended up picking up $21.75 in bills and coins.  I remember telling her "Boy, people around here must be rich".

I'll also admit that along with hard cash, on my daily lunchtime walk, I also will pick up copper wire.  I do some scrapping so have boxes of insulated wire that'll eventually go to the scrap yard for cash.  Every mili-ounce helps.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
Katy over at The Non Consumer Advocate keeps an annual tally of found money,  Donna Freedman's daughter has a blog called "I Pick Up Pennies".

My coin story is that I'm the one who collects the coin from the library's lobby bookstore cashbox. Once a month, I dump it in a Coinstar machine. It's typically about $110-$130. I like that the Coinstar machine does not process the silver coins, but spits them out. I have a small pile of silver dimes and quarters. I also have a much bigger pile of random coins from all over the world.

My coin question is what to do with the foreign coins and the silver to convert them to US Dollars optimally so the money can be spent on resources for the library. And tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
God question Dicey, I have some change from Aruba and Canada and maybe France too!