Author Topic: pick up a penny?  (Read 9358 times)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
pick up a penny?
« on: April 06, 2018, 05:35:06 AM »
If I see a penny on the ground I still stop to pick it up. 
Folks at work, and even my kids, make fun of me.

Still ... it's a mindset.  It's legal tender and I just add it to my jar.
After awhile I empty my jar at a Coinstar machine and get a certificate for Amazon.

Others??

jim555

• Magnum Stache
Re: pick up a penny?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 05:46:34 AM »
Not worth the effort for the value of it.

Fuyu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:01:10 AM »
Me too =). It's something I do without thinking like buying shampoo when it's on sale.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:19:05 AM »
I pick up pennies. No need to let perfectly good money just languish on the ground. I've never had anyone make fun of me for it, though.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:34:21 AM »
Yes, I pick up pennies--occasionally find a nickel, dime, or rarely a quarter. Pick them up, put them in the piggy bank, roll up my coins once in a while and take them to the bank. Why would you not? Nobody laughs at me.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:59 AM »
99 more and it makes a dollar! YES, pick them up!

See a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck!

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:23:32 AM »
These days, I am more likely to notice it, and leave it for a child to find--imagining it means more to them than to me.

But I do notice it.

I think that's as much a part of the mindset as picking it up to save with more--attention to the little details, which you expect to add up.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:40:57 AM »
But it is free exercise!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »
I seldom find pennies, but I do pick up coins when I find them, if people are not looking. Sometimes I leave a coin on the floor if it would be awkward to pick it up (difficult to reach and many viewers). Then I figure a child can pick it up later.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
But it is free exercise!
True. 
I got rid of all my change recently and don't want to go backwards.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 08:11:31 AM »
So I picked up 4 or 5 pennies on Saturday. But Canada doesn't do pennies any more. So I am unsure what to do with them. Perhaps hide them with US pennies next time I visit?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
So I picked up 4 or 5 pennies on Saturday. But Canada doesn't do pennies any more. So I am unsure what to do with them. Perhaps hide them with US pennies next time I visit?

I didn't know they did away with pennies. If the US does that, what am I going to do with my 60lbs of pennies I have? :-)
 They are all pre '82' pennies, so I suspect they will have some value. (High copper content)

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
I always tell TheHusbandHalf when I see one, because I KNOW he'll pick it up.

When I met him, his brothers called him Squeak, they said because he was so tight. But he has never denied me anything! A Perfect match

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »

I didn't know they did away with pennies. If the US does that, what am I going to do with my 60lbs of pennies I have? :-)
 They are all pre '82' pennies, so I suspect they will have some value. (High copper content)

My SO collects pre 1982 pennies too.  Otherwise I've been noticing them but leaving them for little kids, as others here have said. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »

I hate when people hide Canadian money in ours.  Usually it is dimes

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »
Yes

We wrap coins for bank deposit after emptying the large piggy bank about once per year.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:18:39 AM by Basenji »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
Still do it. I watch the ground b/c I am a tripper so I find lots of coins, especially in store parking lots. Then, like OP, I Coinstar them into an Amazon card. It's fun to buy trinkets with found money.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
At my office, we take a couple of walks a day. Sometimes the picking up of pennies gets competitive! One time my coworker found an Italian lira in the road, which was crazy enough given that we are in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, but made even crazier since she was leaving for a cruise to Rome the next week!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
I still pick them up too. I have a large change jar that I toss them in.

Mrs. Rocker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Off Our Rocker RV
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »
We always pickup money laying on the ground no matter the denomination.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
I was a big coin collector as a kid so I am always hoping I find a neat coin .. maybe an Indian Head cent!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »
I hate when people hide Canadian money in ours.  Usually it is dimes

We're in ur country, destroying ur economy.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:46 PM »
See a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck!

These days, I leave it for someone else to find. I've already had good luck, so I figure I'm paying it forward.

But yeah, I used to pick up any spare change I saw on the ground.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 04:51:29 AM »
I wouldn’t pick up a penny but I also wouldn’t make fun of anyone doing so.  If I did pick it up as litter removal I’d probably throw it away.  I hate pennies

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 07:35:34 AM »
Whenever I find money, I always give it away. I sure as hell don’t need it and there are so many who definitely do need it. Except pennies. Are you kidding me!?!

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »
I walk almost 2 miles through the city to get to work everyday and I almost always find a penny, it's funny because now I spot them from far away. Biggest finds this year were a $20 on my way to the gym, and a $10 in the community pool.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
I happily pick up spare change, including pennies.

A meal in Thailand costs between $.30-$1 at many street vendors.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »
I always pick up coins from the pavement. It's a bit of a thing in our family. One of my children collects the discarded coins, and at the end of each year they double the sum collected using their own money and make a donation to charity.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 09:06:42 AM »
But it is free exercise!

Yup. Totally worth bending down for (stretch those hamstrings!).

Also - if you repeat a mantra like "I attract money like a magnet" it gives a little psychological boost. 

Well, at the very least it can't hurt - right?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 09:07:27 AM »
At my office, we take a couple of walks a day. Sometimes the picking up of pennies gets competitive! One time my coworker found an Italian lira in the road, which was crazy enough given that we are in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, but made even crazier since she was leaving for a cruise to Rome the next week!

Was this before or after Italy switched to the euro in 2000?

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
@Hula Hoop, this was just last year. So she couldn't use it but it was still a heck of a coincidence!

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »
After awhile I empty my jar at a Coinstar machine and get a certificate for Amazon.

I joined a Credit Union with a coin machine so that I can deposit the change directly into savings.  I'll pick up anything silver, but only sometimes pennies. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
Absolutely, I pick up pennies.

For a time, I was searching penny rolls for pre 82 copper pennies.  I got to the point where I had $20 face value of them and spoke with my local bullion dealer and asked him what they're worth.  He said "Spend them, nobody will pay for them".  I dumped them in my credit union coin machine.

I was able to sell the wheat cents I would find maybe one every 20 rolls I'd search.  Those were sold to the dealer for 1.5 cents each (but I had to have at least a roll to consider) and I forget what I got for the roll of 43 steel pennies.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
I find money on the ground 3/7 days per week, or more. And yes, I ALWAYS pick up pennies I find. Sketchiest was a penny on the ground at the Biscuits stadium last week...ground was pretty dirty from all the stadium food & beverages.

I found a $5 on the edge of the road at the arrivals terminal at ATL two weeks ago.  Biggest score in years.

Penny today in a classroom
Dime and penny this past weekend at the movie theater
It's ridiculous how often I find coins. I always feel happy when I find a coin.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
I always pick up coins and any cash I find on the ground, it happens a lot especially when the snow is melting. Living in Canada I don't usually see pennies, but one time I was super lucky and found 2 fives and a ten scattered on the ground outside! If I see a homeless person I'll give them the change I've picked up, otherwise I'll stick it in my wallet. It usually goes in a tip jar, but it's also useful for paying exact change when I'm trying to offload some coins.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »
I found two pennies after posting this. I think it's my superpower.  I would've chosen regenerative healing like Wolverine, but this isn't too bad.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
I pick up pennies. My kid found several Pounds/Euros worth of change on our trip to the UK last year.  People drop coins much more often than bills, especially near security checkpoints, making countries with high value coins more lucrative than the US.

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
Yes I pick up pennies.

Saturday was a fantastic day for me coin-wise. First I found a nickel on the sidewalk and picked it up. A few minutes later I found a whole quarter!!

Jingle jingle.

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 06:33:33 AM »
I pick up coins.  It's entertainment when I'm out on walks.  About a month ago, I found a $5 bill.  I celebrated by walking to my favorite Mexican bakery and buying two items.  Everything there is $1 per item, including cinnamon rolls!  The remaining $3 went to my grocery money. 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 06:41:52 AM »
Who returns bottles/cans for the deposit?
Applies to: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Oregon, Vermont

I have.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 06:54:45 AM »
I return cans and bottles and put all the money in my piggy bank.

Years ago several of us gave all our cans/bottles to a lady who was having tough times as a single mom. She said it helped her out a lot.

There is a guy in my town who collects cans and lots of people donate them to him. He cashes them all in and he helps people in need with filling their oil tanks, paying an electric bill and other charitable things. Years ago when the town found out about this guy, they wanted to get involved to decide WHO got the donations. People were outraged and that never happened. For cripes sake, the guy does all of this work on his own time. If he wants to pick and choose who gets help, so be it. It isn't a government program.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
Who returns bottles/cans for the deposit?
Applies to: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Oregon, Vermont

I have.

I do. (New York). Why would you not? I just toss the coins into my piggy bank until I get enough to roll them up and take to the regular bank.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »
But it is free exercise!
Just make sure you're squatting properly! Throwing out your back picking up a penny would be maddening.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 10:22:08 AM »
If it's a pre-1982 1/2 copper penny, I'll stop.  I have a pretty good eye for them and a giant mason jar at home for someday when the penny gets discontinued and I can melt it down into a giant copper bar... muah hahaha!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2018, 10:50:56 AM »
I do.  I also pick up washers and other silly things.

But the pennies go into a container and then when DH and I got on a trip they go into the penny squishers to be come souvenirs.  I love going someplace neat and having a 51 cent item to show for it.

LV 

Lives to travel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
Are you declaring it as income on your yearly income taxes??? Well, if you aren't you should be!

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2018, 10:03:32 PM »
I actually think it’s bad luck to not pick up pennies.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2018, 01:28:53 AM »
Are you declaring it as income on your yearly income taxes??? Well, if you aren't you should be!

If you find less than 50 per year, then TurboTax and TaxCut would just round it down to zero, anyway.

Everything in moderation.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2018, 06:16:26 AM »
I always pick up any money I find!

Side story: I was at Sheetz last night getting a bag of ice. (Fridge died and we're feeding the cooler while we wait for the replacement.) It cost $2.03. I gave the guy $2.05. (Ironically, I'd just picked the nickel up in the parking lot, so I didn't have to break another dollar bill.)

He said, "Do you want those pennies back in change?" Yes. Yes, I do. I'm not letting some corporation keep my change. Give it!