Author Topic: People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?  (Read 41122 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
Recently I asked a retired friend if he missed anything about work. He retired because of old age. He didn't miss a thing. He had an engineering and sometimes management job.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
My Dad once said, the only thing he missed was the paycheck.  But 10 yrs later, he had Social Security and marveled at the feeling of regular pay again, although unnecessary.  He spent his first deposits on wine and Scotch, then eventually got more philanthropic...

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:34 AM »
My Dad once said, the only thing he missed was the paycheck.  But 10 yrs later, he had Social Security and marveled at the feeling of regular pay again, although unnecessary.  He spent his first deposits on wine and Scotch, then eventually got more philanthropic...

My dad has retired multiple times.  First from the military after 20 years, then from a county government job for nearly two decades, then after a short break he retired from a civilian job.  Then he had a consulting gig, which was varying levels of busy for another decade or so, which just ended.

I think he absolutely missed (misses?) the challenge and the intellectual stimulation. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2017, 02:54:20 AM »
I think he absolutely missed (misses?) the challenge and the intellectual stimulation. 
You just need to work out other ways to get the challenge and intellectual stimulation, and you're fine! That was what I THOUGHT I'd miss.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2017, 03:32:21 AM »
You just need to work out other ways to get the challenge and intellectual stimulation, and you're fine! That was what I THOUGHT I'd miss.

He's found some, but I don't think any fully replaced what he got from work.  (He was also fortunate to have jobs that absolutely did engage and challenge him.)  He is very active on the HOA board for his very large community, and I know that helps fill the void a bit. 

I've never had a job that really challenged me consistently, so that's definitely not on my "miss" list!

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2017, 06:21:39 AM »
So many people asked me this that I gave it some thought.  What I finally came up with was that I was never happy in the 8 years I worked there. I was constantly stressed by the knowledge that the people around me did not share my values. I've been out for 3 months and I still feel an immense sense of relief.  A few times I've had to go back to drop something off and I had to force myself to drive onto the property.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
I've been out for about 4 months now.   I do think I am missing the paycheck.  The idea that I can save vast swaths of money (IMO) each month was very nice.

mf3333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
FIRED in january 2017.  I miss the guys at work but we get together about once a month at a local restaurant.  I still work, flipping houses as a hobby.  Flipped our last one 3 months ago and are still looking for our next deal.  in the meantime, I am enjoying spending time with my wife and our families.  It seems like our parents and their friends all need us to help them now.   I guess this is our job now, taking care of our elders.  We do go on alot more vacations now though.  It is awesome.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:39:20 AM by mf3333 »

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
We just had our annual financial review, and our TIAA guy agreed with us that we could RE if we so choose.  We probably aren't going to for about three more years though because I want to be absolutely sure we have enough and once we are done, we aren't going back to work.

The thing I worry about is the social aspect.  Between working full time, one of us having a long commute, being naturally somewhat introverted, and having spent most of our non-work time taking care of recently deceased elderly parents and our kids who are now college aged, we really don't have much in the way of friends.

The friends we do have are through work.  We'll make an effort to do stuff with them, but they aren't retiring soon.  I worry I'll have no social interaction at all.  I've scoped out a few things I could do, like book clubs, volunteer work and a meetup or two.  My introverted self doesn't know if I'll actually make myself do them or if I will make any new friends anyway if I do.

Any introverted people try to  make new friends after FIRE?  How did it go?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2017, 06:14:59 AM »

There is at least one specific thread about this.
In general, I think it is easiest when you start a new hobby and get in touch with a local club for that hobby. And volunteer in all sorts of local events. Join your local facebook groups to find out what happens.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »
We just had our annual financial review, and our TIAA guy agreed with us that we could RE if we so choose.  We probably aren't going to for about three more years though because I want to be absolutely sure we have enough and once we are done, we aren't going back to work.

The thing I worry about is the social aspect.  Between working full time, one of us having a long commute, being naturally somewhat introverted, and having spent most of our non-work time taking care of recently deceased elderly parents and our kids who are now college aged, we really don't have much in the way of friends.

The friends we do have are through work.  We'll make an effort to do stuff with them, but they aren't retiring soon.  I worry I'll have no social interaction at all.  I've scoped out a few things I could do, like book clubs, volunteer work and a meetup or two.  My introverted self doesn't know if I'll actually make myself do them or if I will make any new friends anyway if I do.

@ Pigeon

Your situation sounds similar to ours -- right down to the TIAA, which made me do a double-take (only we don't have kids).  We're getting ready to do our annual financial review too.  Also, my husband and I are both pretty introverted.  We talk openly about how we might meet people.

We're both bookish types who love to learn new things.  We've determined that a good public library will be an important connection for being a part of book groups.  Also, we want to retire to a university town with an Osher Lifelong Learning Institute so we can continue to engage with retired, intellectually curious people.  I wouldn't mind being part of a biking or running group.  We each decided that we'll need to find some sort of club like Rotary that is somewhat social/philanthropic to be a part of.  Beyond that, we might print t-shirts that say "Will you be my friend?"  LOL.

I can't say I'd miss my colleagues at my current job though.  We just don't share many common values and I feel like an outsider at work too.

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
A lot of people here have noted that the first few months post retirement at filled up with sleep and relaxation before they sort of get down to the business of being retired.

I love the idea of getting down to the business of being retired. Can't wait, I think I'll be really good at it

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
For me I was self employed with up to 35 employees at a time. Though never into big titles and or pushing my weight around etc.. I do miss managing and teaching people the business. That was the only part I enjoyed the later years I absolutely hated everything else about the business I had to get out. I haven't found yet something to replace the feeling on a regular basis but occasionally something comes along that seems to fill that void.  Bit more of that and I think I will be even more a happy camper. Just taking me longer to adjust I guess than others but not to the point I would go back to that madness.

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
Not a single thing. I sweated out the decision for weeks before pulling the trigger. I was sure I would regret those fat paychecks hitting my account every 2 weeks. But now, I keep busy fixing things around the house, spending alot more time with the kids. I now wonder how I ever had time to work a full time job. Best decision I ever made.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2017, 09:22:42 PM »
(Former teacher here.)

I miss the kids. They were a hoot.

I miss making real connections with them, and making a difference in their lives.  Seeing them grow, academically, and personally.

I miss colleagues who inspired me.

I miss going into work, and being excited about what I was teaching that day. (I am still excited about the days, but not excited about the work, as it no longer exists.)

I miss some of the structure.

The income would be nice to have now, to increase our donations.

That's off the top of my head in three minutes. Given that, I'm sure there's much more if I sat and thought about it. There's a lot I miss about work.

I very much enjoyed my job. But even with all that, FIRE is still so, so much better.  :)

EDIT: My answer in the "If I was still working, I'd be ..., but instead, I'm..." thread is relevant here, too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:31:18 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
As it should be, retirement should be a happier place to return to for the final swan dive, but it is heart-warming to know that people missed something from their work. 

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
I'm not technically FIRE'd--only "taking a break," but I'm close to my FIRE number and so am not sure whether I'll go back. Here is what I miss so far:

-my team, especially one-on-one meetings with my team members. we all had really good relationships and i enjoyed learning about them, coaching, and helping them solve problems.
-relationships with my co-workers and manager
-solving complicated problems for people, marshaling people/resources/things to get the job done
-being around people who know and respect me, who trust me, who ask for my input on important things.
-having a schedule
-the paycheck (of course)

Having to build all of this outside of the work context just feels like starting over, you know? I don't miss the being at work all day part of it, but the types of relationships and being trusted to do important things is something I want to find again.

I know that kind of the point of this site is that people dislike their jobs, and I did too, but I also got SO much out of it. It forced me to grow in ways that I wasn't confident enough to seek out on my own at the time. I don't think I could have stayed any longer, as I was more than ready to take a break and try something new, but I still miss all of these things quite a bit. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:26:20 PM by zinnie »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2017, 05:27:52 AM »
I'm not technically FIRE'd--only "taking a break," but I'm close to my FIRE number and so am not sure whether I'll go back. Here is what I miss so far:

-my team, especially one-on-one meetings with my team members. we all had really good relationships and i enjoyed learning about them, coaching, and helping them solve problems.
-solving complicated problems for people, marshaling people/resources/things to get the job done
-being around people who know and respect me, who trust me, who ask for my input on important things.
-having a schedule

Having to build all of this outside of the work context just feels like starting over, you know? I don't miss the being at work all day part of it, but the types of relationships and being trusted to do important things is something I want to find again.

I know that kind of the point of this site is that people dislike their jobs, and I did too, but I also got SO much out of it. It forced me to grow in ways that I wasn't confident enough to seek out on my own at the time. I don't think I could have stayed any longer, as I was more than ready to take a break and try something new, but I still miss all of these things quite a bit.

I can understand that. Is it an option for you to work part time, for example during several months a year when they need you most? Otherwise you could try to join some voluntary organization. I think most clubs and (sports) events could use a good coordinator/problem solver like you.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2017, 07:09:44 AM »

-having a schedule

I can understand that. Is it an option for you to work part time, for example during several months a year when they need you most? Otherwise you could try to join some voluntary organization. I think most clubs and (sports) events could use a good coordinator/problem solver like you.

late response, but good ideas--thanks! :)

OlderbutWiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
My last day of work was August 31, 2017.  i was a VP of tax in charge of many employees and made a ton of money.  I truly loved my job but had enough money to retire in comfort...so I did.  I thought for sure that I would miss solving the tax problems/puzzles that had occupied my entire life from 9 - 9 five days of the week.  I am so happy to report that I do not miss the work one iota!! I really can't quite believe it but I have filled my days with all of the things that I have wanted to do but never had the time for....retirement is amazing!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2017, 12:51:10 AM »
My last day of work was August 31, 2017.  i was a VP of tax in charge of many employees and made a ton of money.  I truly loved my job but had enough money to retire in comfort...so I did.  I thought for sure that I would miss solving the tax problems/puzzles that had occupied my entire life from 9 - 9 five days of the week.  I am so happy to report that I do not miss the work one iota!! I really can't quite believe it but I have filled my days with all of the things that I have wanted to do but never had the time for....retirement is amazing!!!

Congratulations, that is great to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Cashonda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2017, 06:22:43 PM »
I miss the free office supplies. That's a joke.. but not. I really wanted one of those big binder clip things and I just can't bring myself to buy a box.

Other than that I kind of miss having to wear a dress and heels and look decent every day. But I could just dress up and prance around town, so I guess I dont miss it that much or I would do it! :D

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2017, 06:22:12 AM »
Up until last weekend the thing I missed most about work (other than the extra flow of money) was my standing desk. But now I have one. I suppose that the thing I miss most after that are the rooms that have white boards walls. My husband says that he will never live in a house where all the walls in a room are written on, so I suppose I will continue to miss this.

I don't miss the people because I make a point of keeping in touch with my friends from work.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
I miss the free office supplies. That's a joke.. but not. I really wanted one of those big binder clip things and I just can't bring myself to buy a box.

I'm laughing so hard because SO DO I. I miss the free notebooks and especially the screen wipes. Here we are, FIRE, and I don't want to pay for SCREEN WIPES.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »

Other than that I kind of miss having to wear a dress and heels and look decent every day. But I could just dress up and prance around town, so I guess I dont miss it that much or I would do it! :D

Depending on how heigh the heels are, your feet will be grateful if you wear flat shoes. High heels cause a lot of strain on the feet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:30:44 PM by Linda_Norway »

CHF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
what is it?
Taking a relaxed dump and the knowledge that I get payed for it. (seriously!)

Disclosure: Not FIREd yet, takes 10 more weeks...