Author Topic: People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?  (Read 41115 times)

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
Is it the companionship? Sense of belonging? Smart and informed business decisions that always seemed to be made at the top? If you do miss something about the working world, what is it?

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Not fired yet, but the only thing I am going to miss is the PAYCHECK

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mjdh1957

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Absolutely nothing at all

redrocker

• Stubble

Bingo. There was something very satisfying for me about seeing that bi-monthly savings deposit.

The mental transition from accumulation is taking me a lot longer than I thought.

Sure, I miss a few folks from the office. But I can keep in touch other ways.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache

Bingo. There was something very satisfying for me about seeing that bi-monthly savings deposit.

The mental transition from accumulation is taking me a lot longer than I thought.

Sure, I miss a few folks from the office. But I can keep in touch other ways.
Yea, it might be just me but my sole reason for going to work is money. Losing that will be tough, but in 3 to 5 years I'll probably be so ready to get out I think ill be fine!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
FIREd for just over 2 years. Only thing I miss is... um... well, nothing?

Okay - access to the programs and my giant 30" monitor that I didn't have to pay for? Yeah, that's about it.

And if I really missed it, I could go buy the stupid setup and pay for the programs myself... but I don't miss it THAT much yet. ;)

I'm an introvert, so I do not miss the interaction or office setting in the least.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Four and half years in the only thing I ever miss is some of the people.  I schedule a "lunch bunch" once a quarter to try to keep in touch.

checkedoutat39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Visiting big cities on an expense account.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
I'm in software and work provides a constant influx of semi-interesting problems for me to tackle with no regards to administrative details (most of the time). I could find that elsewhere but I'd need to carefully evaluate my ventures for impact, whereas now I can just blindly hammer away which is fun for an autist. So basically it provides me with a steady supply of my drug of choice (brain puzzles). Not very healthy.

misshathaway

• Bristles
Friday afternoons. It was like a mini Christmas Eve every week. Of course Sunday night was the inverse but we're talking about stuff we miss. I'm wracking my brain and that's it.

For me, direct deposit almost completely unlinked the act of going to work with the money coming in to the bank account.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 10:07:27 AM »
I miss an activity that was 10% ~ 20% of my job. Data analysis. That isn't something I can do as a volunteer, so I won't be volunteering at my old place of work.

I don't miss meetings, people management, fingering out shit (although truth be told, I do like that a little) and day to day stuff.

PR Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
It's only been 10 months but so far the answer is ZERO.  I would have thought I would be missing the sense of accomplishment or the relationships with employees but I've found I receive a much greater sense of accomplishment in learning and practicing new skills and I've made a ton of new friends that are simply closer friends than any coworker ever was. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
Is it the companionship? Sense of belonging? Smart and informed business decisions that always seemed to be made at the top? If you do miss something about the working world, what is it?

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahaha. *wipes tears*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-t6SoAGRE0

Thankfully, there are thousands of open source frameworks to work on that satisfy any need for creativity.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
What do I miss most? 
Honestly, not much of anything.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
Free copying.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
Free copying.

Oh! Yes, this too. And the access to the color laser printer that could do 11x17 prints.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Not FIRE yet, but i don't need to be. I have a sweet part-time gig that pays a decent $50K plus health and dental, and allows me to work remotely, and this year with only 2 trips back to the office in the year. We spent the last winter overlanding in the US Southwest and Mexico, going back for more in the fall. For obvious reasons, I never use Skype with my co-workers...I'm 59 this year so hopefully I could easily "work" at this job for many years, at least until Alzheimer's kicks in...Best of both worlds.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 06:50:24 AM »
Yes, having to buy my own printer ink could seriously jeopardize my FIRE plans....

Free copying.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 07:18:34 AM »
I FIREd and started a little side gig that turned into a full time self-employment gig (oops).

What do I miss about my old cubicle job at my firm? Nothing. There was a lot of office-politics dysfunction, as well as a total alienation from my work and clients. I spent a lot of time trying to prove that I was good at what I do, but getting poor/no feedback.

When I became self-employed, I had a complete reversal. Same job, mind you. But now I have a direct, personal relationship with each client. My clients give me a ton of positive feedback. The business community as a whole gives me a lot of positive feedback. My job is now great for my self-esteem and my professional role is becoming important to my identity. It has had a positive impact on my personality.

I would miss that, now.

rob/d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Grumpy ? me ?
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »
 Pay .
 That's all folks.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
The free donuts. Which come to think of it, I am better off without.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »

It is only slight... but I miss the daily banter with one or two people.  But situations like that change even if you do remain working... people leave, transfer, etc.

Mostly I miss nothing.  I hate cubicles.  I like sorting out what do to with my own time.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
Smart and informed business decisions that always seemed to be made at the top?

LOL. Maybe this applies with small owner-operator companies but I've noticed that once a corporation reaches a certain critical mass it becomes bloated and retarded, more concerned with politics and meetings than actually making smart decisions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:58:41 PM by cheapass »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 12:47:53 AM »
Miss the free food, and having an office for quiet seclusion and work

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »
Miss the free food, and having an office for quiet seclusion and work

The last time I had an actual office to myself for quiet seclusion was around 1998.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
I was going to say "nothing" but there is one thing. I had excellent health care coverage at work. It was stupid expensive, but the company paid for most of it and it required very little effort on my part to deal with it. Now I have to deal with buying it on the exchange and that is a PITA. I guess I should be happy for ACA because without it, early retirement may not have been possible, but what a complex, inefficient way to buy insurance.  Is this really the best that we can do?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
The last time I had an actual office to myself for quiet seclusion was around 1998.

Yes: I hate cubicles and open concept can be pretty annoying as well. The last company I worked for apparently believed in offices for technical staff, along the lines described here:
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2006/07/30/private-offices-redux/
https://stackoverflow.blog/2015/01/16/why-we-still-believe-in-private-offices/

Technically since I was a contractor, I shared an office with another contractor, but he was hardly there so I didn't mind. I think cubicles and open offices make more people want to retire early than anything else :)

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
I share a fairly small office with 3 perm. employees and one intern. It's an 'open concept' office (putting it nicely here). We have several tables shoved up against walls for desks and our only privacy is stacking monitors together to block each other's line of site.

But then, I'm in IT and I don't make money, I spend it, so they shove us anywhere they can. Right now we're in a decommissioned server room. Yay us.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
Nothing. There are a few people that I miss a bit because of their humor and some conversations, but that's it.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
We've traveled a bit since FIRE'ing and it is much easier to meet people and learn language when you have 'set interactions'...school, work, etc. I don't miss it, but realized you have to be a lot more 'aggressive' without the water cooler. 

vine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Noodles & Fish
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
I might miss some of the social interactions sometimes. But anyone from work I actually like I've managed to keep as friends.

For the first month or so of retirement I felt a sense of loss. You lose some self-respect, thoughts like “Maybe I’m retiring because I’m not good enough to cut it at my job” ran through my head. Early retirement felt like the cowards way out.

When you retire your job no longer defines who you are. You will now be defined by who you are as a person, not what you do for work. You’ll have to find your real identity and it’s terrifying being a real person. I miss how easy it is to work and not have to think about those things.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 08:12:03 PM »
For the first month or so of retirement I felt a sense of loss. You lose some self-respect, thoughts like “Maybe I’m retiring because I’m not good enough to cut it at my job” ran through my head. Early retirement felt like the cowards way out.

When you retire your job no longer defines who you are. You will now be defined by who you are as a person, not what you do for work. You’ll have to find your real identity and it’s terrifying being a real person. I miss how easy it is to work and not have to think about those things.

These are really interesting thoughts.  Thanks for sharing them.

I will be retiring soonish, and I worry a bit about the issues you point out.  I'm trying to be proactive and start defining the non-work parts of myself more.

Thanks again.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
I miss the people from my first job (that I hated).  Although there were a few duds, I learned a whole helluva lot from most of the colleagues I worked with being a theory-heavy / reality-lite recent grad engineer.

On my second, current job, I will miss feeling being a part of something bigger,that it is someone other than me making the critical decision.

In general, I'll miss being treated well, with deference and respect.  I'll miss having first class insurance and retirement benefits (in addition to the pay and bonus).  And I'll generally miss waking up in the morning and looking forward to getting to work.  Resenting the idea that work is getting in the way of being more healthy, but I'll have a salad at lunch and run 45 minutes in the afternoon.

I'll miss the easy cadence of life in the big picture.  Although I'll also be OK without it.  It's just nice to be a part of what I see happening in the world (I was just in South Korea talking to folks on the street about their President being arrested, North Korea, and how they feel about Trump), but I do understand how easy it is when you retire and have your own little routine also.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:21 PM »
The paycheck and the free coffee.

Full disclosure:  I FIRE'd for 4 years, then "went back" on my terms, working for a small consultancy, working from home, on my schedule.  It really doesn't feel much like work when I'm completely unsupervised, working in my underwear.

I still miss that fancy free coffee, though.

vine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Noodles & Fish
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 02:40:39 AM »

These are really interesting thoughts.  Thanks for sharing them.

I will be retiring soonish, and I worry a bit about the issues you point out.  I'm trying to be proactive and start defining the non-work parts of myself more.

Thanks again.

It looks like you you have a year or so to go before retiring - that's a lot of time to figure out some of those non-work parts. You may not have all of the answers before you retire and that's ok - you will figure out the missing pieces post retirement.

It's more of a constantly evolving thing anyway. You will continue to change as a person, whatever answers you come up with will inevitably change somewhat over time. It is good to think about these things, even if you never retire!

AussieCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »

Oh my goodness, this! We are probably three or four years from FIRE and I find myself worrying if I'm wanting to cop out, if I'm just lazy. I think it stems from associating hard work with being 'good' and 'responsible' - and that I have NO idea what my interests/passions will be post FIRE. It frightens me a little, the thought that I'll become unproductive and 'waste' my life. My mum thinks that when I have less stress and more time that I'll find the things that excite me.

vine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Noodles & Fish
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2017, 06:15:44 AM »

Oh my goodness, this! We are probably three or four years from FIRE and I find myself worrying if I'm wanting to cop out, if I'm just lazy. I think it stems from associating hard work with being 'good' and 'responsible' - and that I have NO idea what my interests/passions will be post FIRE. It frightens me a little, the thought that I'll become unproductive and 'waste' my life. My mum thinks that when I have less stress and more time that I'll find the things that excite me.
You will find the things that are interesting to you with time. Whats the point of all this upfront hard work otherwise? Just curious, what do you do for work? Any chance you can tweak that to something that's more interesting to you now?

AussieCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2017, 07:03:10 AM »

You will find the things that are interesting to you with time. Whats the point of all this upfront hard work otherwise? Just curious, what do you do for work? Any chance you can tweak that to something that's more interesting to you now?
I've moved into part time work in an area that certainly interests me more, and challenges me too - which I like. Have not long come out of juggling own retail business of ten years with consulting work, doing ridiculous hours and working myself into the ground. It's interesting, been part time since Christmas and am still wound tight as a spring! I guess it just takes time to wind back down from feeling like you are high alert all the time, and I feel constantly as though I've forgotten something or left something undone. We are strange creatures!

Taking the kids on a seven week camping road trip in July, up the east coast of Oz... that should unwind some of these knots! Appreciate your insight, thank you :)

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
Bagel friday and weds summer treats.  Dont miss the daily 15 minute srum/status meetings that would go an hour.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
The paycheque was (very) nice. I kind of miss that.

I still get together fairly regularly with the coworkers that I really liked. Half of them are now FIREd too.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »

I still get together fairly regularly with the coworkers that I really liked. Half of them are now FIREd too.

Woah.  That is unexpected.  (Or it was to me.)

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »

Woah.  That is unexpected.  (Or it was to me.)

It's a relative thing. We all retired in our 50's =)

risky4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
All my adult life I have been a fairly good 'provider' and not bringing home the bucks took a little adjusting.

The other bother is that after so many years of focusing on piling money into savings it was hard getting used to not making the weekly addition to the stash.

Most of my non-job tasks were much more physical than my desk job-I used to joke with my boss that it was good to get back to my job so I could get some rest!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »
Still a few years out but I think I might miss working on real and interesting problems that no one has yet solved.  That and a pay check :-)  I get I can work on what ever I want post RE but with out being part of a company I dont know that what I could do would have real world industrial applications.  Guess worst case I would have to become a prat time contractor-the horror!

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
fingering out shit (although truth be told, I do like that a little).

I assume thats a typo and you meant figuring?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
I don't anticipate missing a goddamn thing about work.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
I don't anticipate missing a goddamn thing about work.

I suppose after I tell my boss I'm retiring at the age of 40, I'll miss that moment. But yeah that's about it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
I'm retired, but filling in for my wife today at our small business.
I'd rather be at home!
What do I miss, conversation with a few of my customers.
What don't I miss, my pita customers. :-)

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
"Miss" seems like a strong word, but I do somewhat miss the 'game' element of work. I was always very good at maximizing the gains for the least amount of work possible. It was always a challenge to take advantage of every possible program, seem like the best possible employee, while not working very hard. It was fun in its way.

That's about it, still friends with the only person I genuinely cared about from work. I didn't mind work, and didn't mind many of the people, but I can't say I miss them either.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »
I still "work" quite a bit, I just don't get paid anymore. But from the old paying job, I miss building the stache and the banter a bit.  While I didn't have direct relationships with the local decision makers, I was pretty plugged into what was happening. Not so much anymore.

I probably miss the respect the most.  I used to have people stop by or call for my advice on a regular basis, most of which they took.  I don't get nearly as much of that at my volunteering gig, and when I offer, they don't tend to listen.  Oh well. 

Wouldn't go back for much of anything unless FIRE failure was eminent, though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!