Author Topic: Part-time jobs without time constraints?  (Read 6704 times)

Fields of Gold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Part-time jobs without time constraints?
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:45 PM »
When some mustachians FIRE, some take part-time jobs.

However, most part-time jobs want employees who can be depended on to work a consistent schedule, even if only a handful of hours per week.  Taking unpaid time off for a couple weeks (for traveling) every few months could be annoying to most employers.

Besides volunteer positions or owning a business, what kinds of part-time jobs don't mind if the employee takes unpaid time off?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:39:05 PM by Fields of Gold »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Part-time jobs without time constraints?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
Tutoring gigs (self-employed).

Most people need employees to be consistent and dependable. As a boss, I hire someone because I have a need to fill. If someone told me they would like to take time off whenever they feel like it, without considering my needs and the role they were hired to fill, I would be very hesitant to hire that person on.

The other option I can think of is remote work. But you would have to be willing to work, at least a little bit, while traveling.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
Most types of lifestyle shift work aka fun jobs that I've been exposed to are made up of people for whom that job is not their primary focus so their availability is variable and that is expected by employers.

Fields of Gold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »
Another option is a seasonal part-time position, so there are stretches of time when there is no work anyway.  Could plan to travel during the off-season.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:11 AM »
The other option I can think of is remote work. But you would have to be willing to work, at least a little bit, while traveling.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Consider remote work, it has really expanded in the the last few years. If you can find the right position, you can do it from anywhere (providing they have good internet and the employer doesn't mind...).

I work remotely and, other than calls that I have to join (maybe 5-8 hours a week) I can set my own hours, work from anywhere with good enough internet, and have maybe 60% of the "freedom" that comes from retirement, along with good benefits, good salary, AND I'm home anyway, while the youngest finishes up school.

So, I could be here, retired, doing side hustles just to get out of the house etc. or do this work from home gig (it aint "work"...), go get parts for the furnace in the middle of the work day, have zero commute, control my work area/temp/setup, cut out the usual office BS (non-stop talk about petty things, horrible food choices, crappy environment), and keep growing the stash... it's not for everyone but it's working for me.

Having "walk away" money makes it easy for me, I work at my pace, produce what I think is the right level (the supervisor will tell me if I'm not...) ignore co-workers who want to re-create the office environment virtually (yes, there are folks who want to screw up a good thing and gossip on calls, play office politics, keep posting updates about "going to the store"... some folks never learn/change)

Good luck!

https://www.workingnomads.co/jobs

https://weworkremotely.com/

https://dynamitejobs.co/

https://remote.co/

https://tim.blog/2018/12/10/allen-walton-4-hour-workweek-case-study/ (this episode is helpful when it comes to working from home...)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:18:56 AM by infromsea »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:42:57 AM »
I mention this often here, but I think substitute teaching is the perfect FIRE job.  As long as you don't accept a long-term gig, you are basically committing to nothing.  If they call you the night before  or morning of, you simply say no if you don't want to work.  if you are going to be traveling or otherwise occupied for a window of time, you take yourself off the list.  If you have pottery on Wednesday and yoga on Thursdays, you take those off your availability entirely.  Pay isn't great, but it's better than retail/minimum wage.  And if you are decent at your job, over time you can establish yourself and probably work as much as you want via requests. 

If you live close to more than one school district, you can register at two or three to increase your odds of getting work.  If there are schools in the district that are too far away, you can not take jobs there.  You can also register at private schools.

Qualifications vary by location. 

The downside is that it isn't especially reliable, especially at first and if you don't work enough to get requested, or if you aren't very good at your job.  You can pretty much rely on having *some* income, but it's not like a job where you are scheduled for 20 hours a week and can then rely on having that amount coming in.  So if you want/need $15k/yr and will freak out if you don't hit that number, it may not be the right fit.  If, on the other hand, you just want some supplemental income, it's pretty perfect.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:43:49 AM »
I work in payroll which has peaks and quiet times. I'm in grad school and occasionally take time off for study during the quiet times, while my coworker likes to take a trip every month or every other month. They wouldn't be too happy if we'd take long trips though. For that, seasonal jobs or more casual jobs would probably be more convenient.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:58:42 AM »
I teach a online college class. I can do it anywhere with internet.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »
I write books.

Plus I am working on two websites that will be mostly passive after I set them up.  When I go traveling, I will hire a senior to take care of chores while I am gone.  Chores will be paperwork so nothing strenuous.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:38:16 PM by profnot »

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
PRN jobs in healthcare fields would be candidates.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 06:03:42 AM »
My husband has a job where he is an expert in a field. He needs to look at design of new buildings and sites, but also do measurements in the field. The measurements must be done anywhere in the country. He is thinking of doing some of this during FIRE on an occasional hourly basis. If a measurement must be done in the area where we will live, he can do it, and maybe also the meetings with the customers.

He is currently working at one of the big consultancy companies. It is common in the branch to have your technical report peer reviewed. There are also a few one man companies. DH could choose either to become a one man company himself. Or hiring himself as report reviewer to the other one man companies. But he is also thinking that continuing to work occasionally for one of the big companies might be easier than becoming a one man company. Those big companies have different work loads through the year and they might benefit of having someone available for parts of the year when they need it.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 07:21:05 AM »
DH's former employer put him down as retired when he quit.  Huge benefit to us as retired employees can take part in a program that offers project work.  They pick and chose which projects they want, then are on site for 1-3 weeks and provided housing, rental car and per diem while working.  It's a sweet deal.

I work in healthcare consulting and recruiting, I've heard it's fairly easy to pick up occasional contract work and I'll be exploring that this year.  Seems to me like consulting in your former profession provides the most flexibility. 

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 06:27:58 AM »
I agree with @Villanelle about substitute teaching.

I REd from teaching, moved, and started substitute teaching and I love it. It's all the things I loved about teaching (hanging out with kids and teaching them) and none of the political bullshit. And I don't need to worry about booking time off. Last night I thought, "I don't want to work tomorrow", so I set myself as away. I'm visiting family in another area next week, and I just set myself as away.

It's true that you can't count on work, but here I could work 3-4 days a week if I wanted to. I usually work one.

I just love it.

However, it would really suck if you didn't really like kids and couldn't immediately establish a good rapport with them. I've seen what happens when people get into it simply for the money. It's potentially very damaging for the kids. Not saying you are like that. Just a general statement for anyone considering subbing.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 05:54:09 AM »
I work online from home teaching English to kids in China. PM me with any questions if interested :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:17:50 AM »
I agree with @Villanelle about substitute teaching.

I REd from teaching, moved, and started substitute teaching and I love it. It's all the things I loved about teaching (hanging out with kids and teaching them) and none of the political bullshit. And I don't need to worry about booking time off. Last night I thought, "I don't want to work tomorrow", so I set myself as away. I'm visiting family in another area next week, and I just set myself as away.

It's true that you can't count on work, but here I could work 3-4 days a week if I wanted to. I usually work one.

I just love it.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 03:41:33 AM »
I have a friend who grades papers online for WGU. She has to do at least ten hours per week but she can choose which ten hours. The pay is hourly in the low 20's, and they reimburse for all licenses and certifications needed. I think they require a master's degree in the subject area.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:07 AM »
I've been retired a little over a year now and occasionally go through a little spell where I'm bored and start thinking maybe I should get a job.   Then I start thinking that they will expect me to be somewhere on a routine schedule of some sort and that idea is quickly dismissed.   I like the freedom to come and go at a moments notice with nothing tying me down.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
Given the OP's constraints, it sounds like substitute teacher is the best part-time job. I guess being an expert that can turn down or accept short-term tasks would also qualify. Or an artist on commission that has a vague deadline that can be extended because, ya know, art.

Too bad I hate waking up early.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 12:29:17 PM »
Substitute school employees like Educational Assistants, secretaries, health aides, librarians, lunch monitors, etc. typically pay less than substitute teachers but have fewer qualifications needed to work.  Also, if you are good with kids but a little intimidated about being "in charge" all day with no help - these positions are easier to sub. 

I would add to this list babysitting.  As the parent of a child with multiple disabilities and health issues, I am interested in babysitting special needs and disabled kids when I FIRE.  Parents of special needs kids can't just leave their kids with the neighborhood teenager.  Besides the experience and maturity, I'll never cancel on them due to the school dance and having boyfriends over won't be an issue.  :-)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:56 PM »
Driving for Uber and/or lyft.
Work as much or as little as you like.  Don't even have to give any notice.

iwannaretire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 06:15:00 PM »
Kindle Direct Publishing (used to be Create Space).  You don't have to write a book.  You can make low content books, such as prompt journals or coloring books at your own pace.  If you have knowledge in an area, you can stand out with a great prompt journal.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »
I've been retired a little over a year now and occasionally go through a little spell where I'm bored and start thinking maybe I should get a job.   Then I start thinking that they will expect me to be somewhere on a routine schedule of some sort and that idea is quickly dismissed.   I like the freedom to come and go at a moments notice with nothing tying me down.

Hey, are you my doppelganger?  I've gone through that exact same thought sequence a few times in the 13 months since I retired.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 11:48:02 PM »
Driving for Uber and/or lyft.
Work as much or as little as you like.  Don't even have to give any notice.

My understanding is that these pay very poorly (or even negative) once you factor in all your costs.

But I do agree that flexibility is best achieved by working "gigs" that you can accept/decline at will. 

One thing I signed up for many many years ago, but never followed through with is a place called User Testing (https://www.usertesting.com/be-a-user-tester).  Because I never completed a single job, I can't actually recommend them.  But it always seemed like a great gig, and I went through the qualification process and everything seemed fun and professional.  You might want to look into it.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »
NBC Evening News had a piece on the fall out of the govt. shut down.  They interviewed a DC Uber driver.
The driver said he normally makes $1,700 per week, but is doing much less (<20%) during the shut down.
He's obviously driving for Uber (and Lyft?) full time, and I'm sure the $1,700 is gross.
And he was driving a fairly new Lexus.
I've used Lyft quite a few times and usually talk to the driver about driving for Lyft.
I don't think anyone drives for Uber/Lyft 8-5 (at least not very long).  After a bit of time, they find when the better times are - and where the better locations are.  And a few of them have mentioned special events being good.
Plus, the mileage deduction more than covers standard expenses.
Edit to add: as long as you're using a reasonable vehicle.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:21:55 AM by HipGnosis »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »

Hey, are you my doppelganger?  I've gone through that exact same thought sequence a few times in the 13 months since I retired.

Me as well! going on 4 years in April and I took a job about a Month ago delivering pizzas. It was fun until I had something I wanted to do so i left.  I look around all the time but end of talking myself out of it. CC and bank account churning you can make as much as a part time gig or more anyhow so have been doing that.

TaronM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »
One thing I've considered but haven't tried yet is a site like https://www.justanswer.com/ (which I once used myself to figure out how to repair my LCD TV instead of replacing it when it died in a brown out - worth it!).

You answer questions about whatever field of expertise you have, and the person asking pays if they think your answer was helpful. Seems like you would have a lot of freedom to do it whenever you felt like it. I'm guessing there's just a queue of questions people asked and you claim one that you want to answer when you feel like answering it.

Anyone tried something like that?

Personally I wish I could find something as flexible as substitute teaching (which is what my wife does) but didn't require all the degrees and such and also had an opportunity to talk to people face-to-face (either co-workers or customers or whatever), but not too much physical labor (medical issues). Been thinking this for a while to stave off boredom, get a bit more social interaction, and feel like I'm contributing to society a bit more. Such a job may not actually exist though...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:07:34 PM by TaronM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!