Author Topic: If I was still working, I'd be ..., but instead, I'm...  (Read 8134 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
If I was still working, I'd be ..., but instead, I'm...
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
I'd be driving home after a long week of work right now, but instead, I'm grilling a whole turkey (bought on sale after thanksgiving and frozen)/homegrown potatoes/in season (cheap) sweetcorn, and sipping fine bourbon (purchased in a low tax state while traveling). Damn, it's good to be a mustachian!

Keep it going...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:10:37 PM by Gone Fishing »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
Re: If I was still working, I'd be ..., but instead, I'm...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
Proof

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
Now THIS is a fun thread idea for a Friday! :)

If I was still working, I'd be angry, exhausted, and drinking too much while venting at a "happy" hour, but instead I'm celebrating the $70k grant I just won for a neighborhood community garden (that I could write because free time) and making a zucchini-potato gratin from the garden, with laundry drying on the line, before I pick up my sewing again.

Heaven. I'm in FIRE heaven, and I don't forget it for one moment.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
Now THIS is a fun thread idea for a Friday! :)

If I was still working, I'd be angry, exhausted, and drinking too much while venting at a "happy" hour, but instead I'm celebrating the $70k grant I just won for a neighborhood community garden (that I could write because free time) and making a zucchini-potato gratin from the garden, with laundry drying on the line, before I pick up my sewing again.

Heaven. I'm in FIRE heaven, and I don't forget it for one moment.

High five on the grant! That is AWESOME!!

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:05:37 AM »
If I was still working I would be going to bed, if not already there, with the alarm clock set for 0530 on a sunday morning. Instead I am relaxing in front of the fire with a glass of wine, after a wonderful day in the garden. No more shift work ever! No more alarm clocks!

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
nstead I'm celebrating the $70k grant I just won for a neighborhood community garden (that I could write because free time) and making a zucchini-potato gratin from the garden, with laundry drying on the line, before I pick up my sewing again.
Wow sounds great! I think I'll get too jealous reading this thread to keep it up too long! I'm still working for the weekend for too many more years.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:31:41 AM »
Dreading my Monday meeting, but instead, I'm laying in bed reading posting on MMM...

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
High five on the grant! That is AWESOME!!

Thanks! One of my give-back goals is to win, in grant awards for others, at least as much as I earn every year in my part-time/FIRE state. I'm now on track for that!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
If I was still working, I'd be about three weeks into the school year. Assuming I was in the classroom (my last year was as a coach for teachers) we'd have kicked it into high gear by now, with initial diagnostics completed, individual goals set for each student, and we'd be focusing on closing the achievement gap. The worst part of the school year is testing, around April. Right now it's the fun time: learning!

Instead I'm visiting friends and family in Seattle, where I grew up.  We're planning on attending a football game this weekend with another FIRE'd Mustachian friend we know from Camp Mustache. We're planning to meet up with other friends (from high school/elementary school) before we leave, then possibly some other Mustachians along the road, before going to meet my new nephews (wife's sister just had twin boys two weeks ago). Spending lots of time (all day) with my 18-month old daughter.

I like what I'd be doing if I was still working, but I like what we're doing now even more (time with friends and family).

This echos my answer in the "People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?" thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »
I' d be putting out all sorts of fires for customers while dealing with the vendors that are creating the fires as well as yelling/discussing with my employees why they put me in this position and or teaching/telling them for the 100th time how things should be done all while worrying about getting paid for the service we just provided or getting a claim or??.  Thinking about it is stressing me out. Instead I am writing this while sitting in my favorite chair, TV on in the background all before I have to get up and shower to head to one of my kids school.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
[On this Thursday evening,] If I was still working I'd be figuring out how to get out of work early tomorrow so that I can run some errands but instead I'm making dinner, setting up some tequila shots, and studying for a (free) edX course.

WannaGoOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »

I would be having a case of the mid-week-mid-afternoon blahs, looking at my calendar to count how many meetings before the weekend, and evaluating my vacation balance to see if I could possibly take Friday afternoon off to make the weekend come faster!

Instead, I just helped my DH move some building materials that were delivered for the RV barn we are building.  AND I just returned from getting spring water (my town offers stations around town with water pumped from the hot springs in the area) and I am about to brew some awesome IPA with it!  And drink some of the Irish Red we brewed last month!!!

I'm only 2.5 months into this retirement thing, but I can report that it is awesome!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
Ack.  I'd be gearing up for quarter end close.  Instead, I'm futzing around the house in post-workout mode.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »
If I was still working, I would have watched (I did get a window a month or so before I resigned) a glorious day go by, instead, I worked three hours of solid physical labor landscaping for a terminally ill fellow, collected my pay, pre-cooked a homegrown dinner, chilled out at wrestling practice, and washed it all down with a new IPA from Sierra Nevada.  Life is good.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
If I was still working I'd have spend this week oscillating back and forth between being bored and trying to get enough work done to be mildly productive. Instead I helped my sister dig and install a french drain line, rebuilt a cabinet drawer that was coming apart, installed two ceiling fans, double checked my mom's projected income for 2018 to ensure she is still in good shape for her ACA subsidies, spent an afternoon visiting with my 91 year old grandfather, cut up a downed tree in my mom's back yard, and continued working on a birthday present for my sister - a replica of the dock sign from the Jurrasic Park movie. Tomorrow I'm going hiking and maybe I'll visit my grandfather again. Life is very good.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!