Author Topic: How do you answer "What do you do?" without explaining your finances?  (Read 25924 times)

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
I'm still having problems answering the "What do you do for work?" question. I don't want to discuss my financial FI (through hard work), especially with people are struggling from month to month. When I've tried to be honest with a few people in the past I tend to get a blank stare. It does not seem to bring me closer to them, rather it feels more separate.  If I talk about my hobbies -- then it just leads to more questions of how I make a living doing that. What do you say (that is also respectful) in these situations?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: How do you answer "What do you do?" without explaining your finances?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 02:26:53 PM »
I don't see why this is a big issue?
Just say .... I'm retired.  I had a good job, managed and invested my money and don't need to work a regular job anymore.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
I am retired.  Or a real estate investor.  Or a fighter pilot.  Depending on the audience and the hopeful results.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »
Live off my investments.  Why should I lie?  Or I could say "capitalist" :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
Consultant in your previous field would be the easy one. We still do some of that so we say semi-retired but we are not young.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »
My husband retired at 32 after selling a successful business. We've struggled with this.

We were concerned that saying he's retired would make everyone think, "Oh, this guy is rich." And indeed, it was a problem for awhile. We continue to be the first stop when family or friends want to borrow money. Some of his family members seemed to expect him to give them money. Yes, he made good money, but not good enough money to retire himself and his dad and his brother and buy a new car for his sister.

I decided to become a CPA after his retirement, and that cut down on a lot of issues. A lot of people assumed we were badly hurt by the recession, which is why I had to go back to work - but that isn't really true.

For awhile, we tried telling people that he manages his investments. But then people started wanting to hire him or ask him for investing advice.

So now I go back to the truth. My husband had a successful start up and is retired. Some people ask me why I still work, and I tailor my response depending on who's asking. He was worried that it would hurt my credibility if people thought we were moneyed, but actually the reaction from most of my clients has been positive. They seem to like the idea that we're successful financially.

Once in awhile, there's an awkward stare. I just smile and redirect by asking that person about their job. I try not to "explain" too much, but sometimes it's unavoidable - people with positive reactions will often want to know all of the details of how he did it.

Last week at a wedding, a guy asked what my husband did, and I told him that he's retired and the guy kind of stuttered and stared at me and said he hoped to retire next year. Then he got up and left awkwardly. And stared at my husband for the rest of the evening. Non-stop. It was super weird.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »
Like the above, I say "I'm retired." 

They rarely press for more information, but if they do, I state things very simply:  "I'm a cheap bastard.  I spent less than I earned for many years."  No one has asked for more information, though if they did, they'd probably get an honest, full explanation.  I don't (and wouldn't) go into actual financial numbers... and I don't think they are necessary. 

NikkiT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »
I asked the same question to this forum one year ago.  Since then, I have had a lot of practice with it.  I live the nomad/travel lifestyle and meet new people regularly.  I use to be uncomfortable when asked "what do you do?"  But, as with anything, the more you answer it, the more comfortable you become.

Also, I have achieved comfort with where I am at in life and I think that shows when I answer people.  I use to be worried about making people feel jealous or any other negative feeling.  Now, I realize that they alone are responsible for their feelings.  Marianne Williamson has a beautiful poem that addresses this fear.  It says "Your playing small does not serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people don't feel insecure around you. And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

I also believe that the world in general does a fantastic job of advocating for consumerism.  Millions of dollars (billions?) are spent to convince us to buy, buy, buy.  Who advocates for FIRE?  A hundred bloggers?  They are way outnumbered!  I feel strongly that I should not hide the fact that I chose the FIRE path.  That path needs more advocates.  People need to meet other people face to face that have FIREd, so that they know it's possible.  I don't want to miss an opportunity to point someone to MMM or JLCollins just because of my fear of their opinion of me.

I also notice that my social circle is changing.  My best friends remained, but the rest are changing.  The new people I am meeting are not as surprised by FIRE.  They are digital nomads, world travelers, all sorts of interesting and nontraditional people.  As my life changed, my social circle did too. Suddenly, my accomplishments looked laughably small and ordinary. 

Back to your question.  If someone asks what I do for a living, I say "work?...no, I don't do that anymore."  Some people ask if I'm taking a break and going back to work.  I reply "not if I can help it."  I give more details if a person is sincerely interested.  No one has ever asked the size of my nest egg. 

Hope this helps!

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 02:06:02 AM »
How about saying that your a consultant? It can be in whatever profession you previously worked in.

That's what I'd do. Ideally, it would be true, but it could be only 2-3 hours last time 6 months ago and they wouldn't have to know. It's much easier to "white lie" people when the truth previously applied, and you can still visualize all the details.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 02:14:53 AM »
I also notice that my social circle is changing.  My best friends remained, but the rest are changing.  The new people I am meeting are not as surprised by FIRE.  They are digital nomads, world travelers, all sorts of interesting and nontraditional people.  As my life changed, my social circle did too. Suddenly, my accomplishments looked laughably small and ordinary. 

Yes! Notice the difference: in the office, people tend to assume early retirement isn't possible; during travels (hostels, resorts, etc.) many people are FI, self-employed, looking for a temporary work lifestyle or semi-retirement, etc. Seems like 2 different worlds really!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 04:20:57 AM »
"work?...no, I don't do that anymore." 

I love almost every word of your post, but these seven are just divine.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
I simply say I'm retired. I do not feel comfortable with anything but the absolute truth. Besides, maybe my openness will get them to talking about it for themselves, or they may be planning to FIRE and we have a great conversation. I owe nothing to anyone though, and if you start to act like a chameleon I feel as though you loose some of yourself (karma?).

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
Saying you're retired at 35 doesn't really fly. This community defines retirement as FI or freedom, but for most people, retirement means not earning money for active sources. You can be a stay at home parent for a while. But at 35, most likely you'll get a side hustle eventually. So, even if being "retired" gives you confidence and safety, it's probably more of a break, if you're realistic. Has anyone not earned another penny from active work after 35? It seems people would do that for a few years at most. It has nothing to do with the retirement police, but everything to do with communicating effectively with other people using standard definitions of retirement. Now, if you're 45-50+, then you can honestly claim retirement with higher confidence.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »
It irritates somewhat, but saying I'm "retired" is often more trouble than it's worth. I'm starting to use "I'm a day trader" quite a bit. Not entirely accurate, but I am able to quickly deduce in which circumstances it's just easier to proceed that way. People of "normal" retirement age tend to become a bit agitated when I have used the R-word in the past....while people closer to my age seem interested and congratulatory. Go figure. :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
I say I am retired but look once in awhile to pickup some cash here and there if I want some extra pocket money.

Jammu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 09:04:29 PM »
What do you do?

I say "a little of this, a little of that..." and waggle my eyebrows.

Nobody ever asks me a follow up.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »
Yeah, I say it in a joking manner too. "Work? It's overrated." or "What do I do? As little as possible."

My parents know the truth but ignore it. It just doesn't compute for them.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Hmm,

Talking about a hobby or volunteer work you are working with is usually sufficient...   MOST people just want a topic to converse about with you, and don't want to talk about your personal money (because they may have to share their personal money)... so "Retire" feels awkward to them.

"I am planning a three year trip to Asia"
"I am restoring at '67 Ford"
"I am building a home, just started on the siding today.. we went with Hardieboard...."
"I am learning how to play the guitar"
" I have volunteered with the Food Bank"

Anyway, this the type of answer that DH would say when he was a SAHD, in a community that was all dual income or SAHM only and people could not wrap their heads around a SAHD.   So it should work for early retirees, too.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
"I'm a day trader"
You trade your days for happiness. If others assume you meant buying and selling stocks, well that's not your fault. :)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 01:01:23 PM »
I don't see any reason not to just tell the truth. "I'm out of the workforce right now." You can always add, "I'm working on a couple projects at home." Or, "I'll be in New York for the next three months." Or whatever.  (Those statements are true for me.) You really don't have to say, "I'm retired." And you for sure don't have to discuss your finances.  There are so many things that contribute to our identity. It isn't just whether or not you have a job and what it pays.   

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
do you have real estate? "I manage a rental house"

do you sell things on ebay or craigslist or such? "I have an ebay business"

are you in a band or do mechanics or woodworking or whatever as your main hobby? Just say that, "I'm in a band" or "I do woodworking"

do you volunteer pretty often? you can use the word "volunteer" or honestly and naturally substitute the word "work" as you say "I work at the soup kitchen downtown" or "I'm the reading coach at St Mary's school" or "I volunteer at the animal shelter"

if you're newly retired and decompressing, you can answer this like you're on a break. "I closed my business, not sure what I want to do next" or "I'm an accountant, but taking a break this year! Going to India in the spring! Your plans for next year and the year after aren't the point of the conversation, don't feel bad about neglecting to explain your full plan.

are taking classes for a skill you always wanted or for a future part-time gig you always wanted to do? just say "I'm brushing up on my French, taking classes and maybe getting a translator certification so I can volunteer in the hospital"

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »
I'm starting to use "I'm a day trader" quite a bit.

I'd never use "day trader," because to many people, that's roughly equivalent to "professional gambler" or similar d-bag on his way to going broke.

I just say I live off my investments. 

Investing, not trading.

Or, better yet, go with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFJBd40Awo

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
I don't see any reason not to just tell the truth. "I'm out of the workforce right now."

That comes off as you being unemployed. With some hint to possibly being employed again in the future.

do you have real estate? "I manage a rental house"

do you sell things on ebay or craigslist or such? "I have an ebay business"

are you in a band or do mechanics or woodworking or whatever as your main hobby? Just say that, "I'm in a band" or "I do woodworking"

do you volunteer pretty often? you can use the word "volunteer" or honestly and naturally substitute the word "work" as you say "I work at the soup kitchen downtown" or "I'm the reading coach at St Mary's school" or "I volunteer at the animal shelter"

if you're newly retired and decompressing, you can answer this like you're on a break. "I closed my business, not sure what I want to do next" or "I'm an accountant, but taking a break this year! Going to India in the spring! Your plans for next year and the year after aren't the point of the conversation, don't feel bad about neglecting to explain your full plan.

are taking classes for a skill you always wanted or for a future part-time gig you always wanted to do? just say "I'm brushing up on my French, taking classes and maybe getting a translator certification so I can volunteer in the hospital"

Best answer yet.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:05:17 PM by gerardc »

Cerastez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 07:17:42 PM »
I still hem and haw, when I am asked.  I have had some very negative responses, when I say that I am retired.  The kindest response was that "I must have won the lottery."  The cruelest was "You must have divorced one hell of a sugardaddy." 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:40 PM »
I feel like I've been stretching the truth about what I actually do for a living for so long that it won't be hard to keep lying about it once I don't have to go to the office anymore.  :_

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »
I'm not there yet, but have thought that I would answer this question by saying that we are on sabbatical. We do want to test drive FIRE with a sabbatical, so it would be true in the beginning. Nothing wrong with an indefinite sabbatical, I suppose.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 11:15:36 PM »
My wife and I do some consulting. Her more than me, but both enough that they are great answers to "what we do." Depending on who we're talking to we stress our work or our traveling. 

Ultimately, everyone is just looking to make conversation with that question. "I'm retired" is very interesting to some people, but for a lot of people who are uncomfortable taking about money, it's a conversation ender. My consulting work is interesting to people, so I can talk about that if they want. I'm much more interested in travel, as are most people I meet these days, so I stress that mostly.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 12:33:47 AM »
I have always found 'gentleman of leisure' to have a nice ring ...

Not yet fired but I could see myself playing that part in some circumstances:
Q:'what do you do?'
A: ' I am a gentleman of leisure'
Q:'what do you mean by that? do you not work then?'
A:'My dear man! Let us not talk about such vulgar subjects as work! There are ladies present!'

Hmm, me thinks I need to find a pocket watch and a monocle ...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 03:56:11 AM »
I feel like this is an issue more for introverted people than extroverted.

I'm an extrovert and side with the just say you're retired and then maybe a few people will listen and you can share the good word. Mustashian missionaries anonymous.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:42 AM »
What do you do?

Whatever I want!

or 

I love to read, and I'm training for a half marathon, and I watch more TV than I probably should, and I've recently taken up chess again, and...

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
"work?...no, I don't do that anymore." 

I love almost every word of your post, but these seven are just divine.

+1 this is just beautiful. I can't wait to use it.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »
Like the above, I say "I'm retired." 

They rarely press for more information, but if they do, I state things very simply:  "I'm a cheap bastard.  I spent less than I earned for many years." 
I think this is the most honest approach that also doesn't give off the sense that you're dripping with money or that you're bragging in any way.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 06:22:11 PM »

A:'My dear man! Let us not talk about such vulgar subjects as work! There are ladies present!'

I love it!

Bolshevik Artizan

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 07:47:43 AM »
How about saying that your a consultant? It can be in whatever profession you previously worked in.

That's what I'd do. Ideally, it would be true, but it could be only 2-3 hours last time 6 months ago and they wouldn't have to know. It's much easier to "white lie" people when the truth previously applied, and you can still visualize all the details.

Agree with this, from both. I still work, but I do work that interests me most of the time as a freelancer. It helps that my friends are completely non-judgemental and unquestioning, and recognise that our son is the most important thing in our lives. As a side comment, I would reflect that this demonstrates the extent to which people define other people by what they do for a living.

It's only when I stopped working that I came to realise two very different things: one, that paid labour is necessary for people to survive and yet (point two) so much of that paid labour these days is so spiritually unsatisfying. If you can find something that you love doing and that pays the bills, you'll never work - and you'll never retire.

Case in point, my neighbour is mid-forties like me. He sold his business two or three years ago and retired, lives pretty modestly, but has now gone (sorry ladies) balls deep into a new business just because he likes working. He owns it and he can do what he likes. His wife works too, three days or so, as a yoga instructor - again because she likes it, no other reason.

Longer response than I anticipated, but I think this is an important point to contemplate before you push the button. Even MMM himself takes pains to stress that early retirement does NOT mean a life without labour. It means a life without compulsion/slavery, if you like: and getting and staying debt-free is so, so much of this battle.

End of sermon - sorry!

BA

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »

I love it!

+1  Very Oscar Wilde. :D

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »
I say, "whatever I want to do."  At the moment, it is sabbatical and travel and learning a new language.  In the second half of this year, I will be starting training for a new career that I may never actually work in, just because I wish to learn those skills.

We humans are interesting creatures.  On one hand, we value our rugged individualism, our ability to do whatever and be whomever we want.  Every person on this forum is neck-deep in a process of self-reinvention, and in a much more self-conscious way than most.  We are all hyper self-aware.  On the other hand, we care so much about what other people think of us, even people we don't know or care about.  It's not enough for us to figure out what the "right" path for ourselves is in life; we feel we must convince others of its rightness, too.

When I was in my early twenties, I fought with my parents incessantly.  I wondered, why can I not get my mother (in particular) to just see reason?  If only I could explain myself well enough, surely she'd be won over by the irrefutable logic and rightness of what I'm telling her.  Alas, 20+ years later, that breakthrough in insight has never happened.  I understand now that it never WILL happen, because you do not convince others of a worldview based upon logic.  They either buy into it in their soul, or they do not. 

My mother is an emotional creature; I am, too.  We've spent far too many decades subconsciously learning how best to push each other's buttons and react rather than interact.  Now I don't try to explain my rationales to her, beyond saying, "this is what I want."  If I can't make that breakthrough with my mom, who has known me for over forty years and has a vested interest in maintaining a relationship with me, what possible hope can there be of convincing a recalcitrant acquaintance to see things my way?  And knowing that there is no chance of success, why would I even try?

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
Depending on the audience, I say I am either ornamental or a trophy wife.  Since I am 62 and a low maintenance kind of girl...that usually gets a couple a glances. Probably they think hubby got the "thanks for playing" trophy! 🤣

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
I'm not retired and have multiple stories for what I do.  (I have a job that fascinates people but I get sick of the same questions).  Since right now I think I will likely spend time working in or around National parks/wilderness areas I fully plan to say I'm a National Park Bum.  Kind of like a ski bum but I prefer to hike here in XX National Park instead.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »

I love it!

I may have to work that into the rotation!

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:38 AM »

I love it!

I may have to work that into the rotation!

I will also have to make use of this term!

I suspect my most frequent response will be "Formerly an engineer. Currently a gentleman of leisure."

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
If you're a PhD, you can always say you're a "PhD in X", where X is something silly or fun you like to do :D

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »
Hmm,

Talking about a hobby or volunteer work you are working with is usually sufficient...   MOST people just want a topic to converse about with you, and don't want to talk about your personal money (because they may have to share their personal money)... so "Retire" feels awkward to them.

"I am planning a three year trip to Asia"
"I am restoring at '67 Ford"
"I am building a home, just started on the siding today.. we went with Hardieboard...."
"I am learning how to play the guitar"
" I have volunteered with the Food Bank"

Anyway, this the type of answer that DH would say when he was a SAHD, in a community that was all dual income or SAHM only and people could not wrap their heads around a SAHD.   So it should work for early retirees, too.

I do a version of this, since I spend most of my time working on a hobby/passion, which may or may not make money...it sounds like an job occupation and I can talk about it as if it is work

Racer X

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »
Depending on the audience, I say I am either ornamental or a trophy wife.  Since I am 62 and a low maintenance kind of girl...that usually gets a couple a glances. Probably they think hubby got the "thanks for playing" trophy! 🤣

:)

I joke about being a trophy husband.  I even have a t-shirt claiming myself as such.  When I tell someone I'm a Trophy Husband I will sometimes quietly whisper afterwards "I didn't say it was first place..."

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »
Ah, just pull the George Castanza routine.

them: "so what do you do?"
you: "Oh, I'm an archetect"
them: "that's really interesting....who do you work for?"
you: "Vandelay Design.  We've very small and quite selective.  I love the work, it's invigorating and peaceful at the same time".

Of course, be sure to add this information to your LinkedIn profile

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »

you: "Vandelay Design.  We've very small and quite selective.  I love the work, it's invigorating and peaceful at the same time".

What's the joke here? Is it all a lie? There really is a Vandelay Design. http://www.vandelaydesign.com/

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »

What's the joke here? Is it all a lie? There really is a Vandelay Design. http://www.vandelaydesign.com/

I believe it was actually "Vandelay Industries."  The joke was it was a made up thing, yes.  There was a made up man (Art Vandelay) that George used for job references and miscellaneous other things over several episodes.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 02:06:13 AM »

:)

I joke about being a trophy husband.  I even have a t-shirt claiming myself as such.  When I tell someone I'm a Trophy Husband I will sometimes quietly whisper afterwards "I didn't say it was first place..."

A participation trophy?  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:51 AM »
This thread was mentioned elsewhere. I thought it deserved a bump, so...BUMP!

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
Other favorite answers to "What do you do?" -

I'm in real estate
I manage investments
I'm a travel planner
I'm potentially between jobs
I'm thinking of running for office

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
I suspect my answer, when TheHusbandHalf retires, will be the same then as it is now: "I'm a kept woman"

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!